Daily Scripture Readings and Our Daily Bread

greenidlady1

October 25, 2005

Deeper Than The Deep Blue Sea

Read: Ephesians 3:14-21

. . . to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge. —Ephesians 3:19

Bible In One Year: Mark 7-10

Several hundred miles off the coast of Guam is the Mariana Trench, the deepest place in the ocean. On January 23, 1960, Jacques Piccard and Donald Walsh climbed into a submersible vessel and were lowered into the cold, lonely darkness. Their descent into the deep, which set the world record, has never been repeated.

The depth of the ocean is mind-boggling. The Mariana Trench is nearly 7 miles down. The water pressure at the bottom of the trench is 15,931 pounds per square inch. Yet there is life. Walsh saw flat fish on the ocean floor, surviving despite the pressure and the darkness.

For most of us, it's hard to fathom just how deep the Mariana Trench is. But much more difficult to comprehend is the love of God. Paul was hard-pressed to describe it, but he prayed that his readers would be able somehow to grasp "the width and length and depth and height—to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge" (Ephesians 3:18).

The reason we can never reach the depths of God's love is that it is infinite—beyond measure. If you ever feel alone and unloved, that you've sunk to the depths of dark despair, think about Ephesians 3:18. God's love for you is deeper than the Mariana Trench! —Dennis Fisher

I have a Friend whose faithful love
Is more than all the world to me;
It's higher than the heights above,
And deeper than the boundless sea. —Anon.

You're never beyond the reach of God's love.

greenidlady1

October 26, 2005

Sweet Tooth

Read: Psalm 119:97-104

How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! —Psalm 119:103

Bible In One Year: Mark 11-13

The woman must have had a major chocolate craving! She stopped at a Woolworth's store in London and asked for every Mars bar in stock. She paid cash for 10,656 candy bars. Nobody bothered to ask why she wanted so many, but one person jokingly said, "Perhaps she has a sweet tooth."

The psalmist had a "sweet tooth" too—for something far more healthy than chocolate. He loved the Word of God and found it "sweeter than honey" to his taste (Psalm 119:103).

How can we develop our spiritual tastebuds so that we have a strong craving for the sweetness of God's Word?

Read the Word. It may seem obvious, but you have to read the Word if you're going to learn to love it as the psalmist did. Set aside a few minutes each day and read a passage. Think about the words, their meaning and context.

Reflect on the Word. Jot down a verse and carry it with you. Look at it often during the day. Follow the psalmist's example and make it your "meditation all the day" (v.97).

Apply the Word. Ask God what He wants you to understand and how to apply it to your life that day.

God's Word will give you a "sweet tooth" and always satisfy it. —Anne Cetas

Upon Thy Word I rest, so strong, so sure;
So full of comfort blest, so sweet, so pure,
Thy Word that changest not, that faileth never!
My King, I rest upon Thy Word forever. —Havergal

A well-read Bible is a sign of a well-fed soul.

greenidlady1

October 27, 2005

Toddler's Creed

Read: Acts 20:32-38

You shall not covet. —Romans 7:7

Bible In One Year: Mark 14-16

Elisa Morgan, president of MOPS International (Mothers Of Pre-Schoolers), shared this insight into a child's view of the world:
Toddler's Creed
If I want it, it's mine.
If I give it to you and change my
mind later, it's mine.
If I can take it away from you,
it's mine.
If I had it a little while ago,
it's mine.
If it's mine, it will never belong to
anyone else, no matter what.
If we are building something together,
all the pieces are mine.
If it looks just like mine,
it is mine.

Anyone who has ever known a toddler knows the truth of that creed. We expect to see this trait in toddlers, but we despise it when it's seen in adults. It's called covetousness.

The apostle Paul, who had led an outwardly religious life before he became a follower of Jesus, wrestled with that sin (Romans 7:7). After carefully studying the law of Moses, he recognized covetousness for what it is. But God in His grace changed Paul. Instead of remaining a coveting, grasping man, he became a truly generous person (Acts 20:33-35). And generosity may be the acid test of whether or not we are still spiritual toddlers.

Are you allowing the Lord Jesus Christ to create in you a new, giving heart? Or are you still following the "Toddler's Creed"? —Haddon Robinson

Gratefulness overcomes selfishness.

greenidlady1

October 29, 2005

What Did You Say?

Read: Psalm 15

Who may dwell in Your holy hill? He who walks uprightly. —Psalm 15:1-2

Bible In One Year: Luke 4-6

At Santa Clara University in California, a researcher conducted a study of 1,500 business managers that revealed what workers value most in a supervisor. Employees said they respected a leader who shows competence, has the ability to inspire workers, and is skillful in providing direction.

But there was a fourth quality they admired even more—integrity. Above all else, workers wanted a manager whose word was good, one who was known for his honesty, and one whom they could trust.

While this finding holds special significance for Christian managers, it also says something to everyone who claims to be a follower of Jesus. Integrity should characterize all believers, no matter what their position may be.

According to Psalm 15, truth is at the heart of every word and deed of a godly person. Since the God of the Bible always keeps His word, it follows that a godly person will be known as one who does what he says he will do.

We all need to be more careful about our integrity. Do those around us admire us for our honesty? Does the Lord see us faithfully doing what we said we would do—even when it hurts? (Psalm 15:4). —Mart De Haan

If your word is "good as gold"
And your actions prove it true,
Others hearing what you say
Know they can depend on you. —Hess

Only by being on the level can we rise in the eyes of others.

greenidlady1

November 1, 2005

Joy Over One

Read: Luke 15:1-10

There is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents. —Luke 15:10

Bible In One Year: Luke 14-17

Many Christians have succumbed to the false notion that their witness to one individual doesn't count for much. But that certainly isn't supported by what we read in the Gospels. Even though Jesus' public ministry was limited to a little more than 3 years, He was never too busy to deal with one person at a time.

It's true that Jesus preached to multitudes in Judea, fed 5,000 people gathered by the Sea of Galilee, and ministered to the large crowds in Capernaum. Yet He never lost sight of the value of one soul!

We are encouraged when we read of His conversation at night with one man named Nicodemus (John 3); of His visit with one woman at a well in Samaria (John 4); and of His personal interest in one man named Zacchaeus, who had climbed up into a sycamore tree to get a better look at the Lord (Luke 19). How thrilled he must have been when Jesus singled him out of the multitude and said, "Zacchaeus, make haste and come down, for today I must stay at your house" (v.5).

If you are ever tempted to minimize the value of your personal, individual witness to a single soul, remember Jesus' example. The Bible says there is joy in heaven over one sinner who repents. —Richard De Haan

The One who made the heavens,
Who died on Calvary,
Rejoices with His angels
When one soul is set free. —Fasick

Never underestimate the value of a single soul.

greenidlady1

November 3, 2005

Hiding From God

Read: Genesis 3:7-13

The Lord God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" —Genesis 3:13

Bible In One Year: Luke 22-24

Two brothers were extremely mischievous and their parents were at their wits' end. So they asked their pastor to talk with the boys.

The pastor sat the younger one down first. He wanted him to think about God, so he started the conversation by asking, "Where is God?" The boy didn't respond, so he repeated the question in a stern tone. Again he gave no answer. Frustrated, the pastor shook his finger in the boy's face and shouted, "Where is God?!"

The boy bolted from the room, ran home, and hid in his closet. His brother followed him and asked, "What happened?" The younger boy replied, "We're in big trouble now. God is missing, and they think we did it!"

Sounds a bit like Adam and Eve, who were filled with guilt and tried to hide from God (Genesis 3:10). They had known the Lord's close fellowship, but now they were afraid to face Him. God pursued them, though, and asked, "What is this you have done?" Instead of repenting, Adam blamed God and Eve, and Eve blamed the serpent.

How do we respond when we've sinned against God? Do we hide, hoping He won't notice? If we are His, He'll pursue us. The wisest choice is to come out of our hiding place, confess our sin, and have our fellowship restored. —Anne Cetas

Heavenly Father, forgive me for trying to hide from You.
I confess my sins and ask for Your forgiveness.
Help me own up to my wrongs and not let anything come between You and me. Amen.

Sin brings fear; confession brings freedom.

greenidlady1

November 4, 2005

The Servants Knew

Read: John 2:1-11

[Jesus'] mother said to the servants, "Whatever He says to you, do it." —John 2:5

Bible In One Year: John 1-3

Few weddings are matters of life and death, but they often feel that way to the people involved. After giving three daughters in marriage, I can appreciate the concern parents have over proper arrangements for their guests. So whenever I read about the wedding in Cana in John 2:1-11, I find myself smiling at every turn.

Although the events strike me as lighthearted, Jesus' miracle of turning water into wine had the serious purpose of revealing Himself as the Son of God to His disciples.

Many people may have seen the large stone jars being filled with water. But it was the servants, who had poured every gallon, to whom the Lord said, "Draw some out now, and take it to the master of the feast" (v.8). The Bible says simply, "And they took it." Their unhesitating obedience is a model for us in our daily God-given tasks.

The master praised the bridegroom, saying, "You have kept the good wine until now!" He didn't know its origin (v.10), "but the servants who had drawn the water knew" (v.9).

Like them, we recognize that whenever God uses our meager efforts to help others, it's a miracle of His power. The servants at Cana who drew the water knew that the praise belonged to Jesus. And so do we. —David McCasland

I can always count on God, my heavenly Father,
For He changes not; He always is the same—
Yesterday, today, forever, He is faithful,
And I know He loves me, praise His holy name. —Felten

God's great power deserves our grateful praise.

greenidlady1

November 5, 2005

No Fast Food In The Bible

Read: Psalm 119:9-24

I will meditate on Your precepts, and contemplate Your ways. —Psalm 119:15

Bible In One Year: John 4-6

I love the sight of cows lying in the field, chewing their cud. But what is cud? And why do they spend so much time chewing it?

Cows first fill their stomachs with grass and other food. Then they settle down for a good long chew. They bring the food back up from their stomachs and rework what they've already eaten, assimilating its goodness and transforming it into rich creamy milk. Time-consuming? Yes. A waste of time? Not if they want to give good milk.

The phrase "chewing the cud" is used to describe the process of meditation. The writer of Psalm 119 obviously did a lot of mental chewing as he read God's Word. No fast food for him! If we follow his example of careful and prayerful Scripture reading, we will:

Be strengthened against sin (v.11).

Find delight in learning more about God (vv.15-16).

Discover wonderful spiritual truths (v.18).

Find wise counsel for daily living (v.24).
Meditation is more than reading the Bible and believing it. It's applying Scripture to everyday life.

God's Word is not meant to be fast food. Take time for a good long chew. —Joanie Yoder

Break Thou the bread of life, dear Lord, to me,
As Thou didst break the loaves beside the sea;
Beyond the sacred page I seek Thee, Lord;
My spirit pants for Thee, O living Word. —Lathbury

To be a healthy Christian, don't treat the Bible as snack food.

greenidlady1

November 7, 2005

The Lord Is My Rock

Read: Psalm 18:1-3

The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust. —Psalm 18:2

Bible In One Year: John 11-13

It turns out that we humans reason largely by means of our hearts and not by our heads. As French mathematician and theologian Blaise Pascal noted long ago, "The heart has reasons that reason does not know."

Poets, singers, storytellers, and artists have always known this. They use symbols and metaphors that speak to our hearts rather than to our minds. That's why their ideas penetrate where everything else has failed. And that's why we say, "A picture is worth a thousand words." Images remain in our minds when all else is forgotten.

David wrote, "The Lord is my rock and my fortress, . . . my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold" (Psalm 18:2). He was thinking of physical elements that convey spiritual realities. Each picture expresses a deeper thought, linking the visible world to the invisible realm of the Spirit. David doesn't wander into definition and explanation, for explanation can blunt imagination. Each picture is left hanging in our minds—images that evoke mystery, arouse our imagination, and deepen our understanding.

David wakes up what is hidden deep within us. It's good to think long thoughts about it. What does this mean to you: God is my rock, my fortress, my shield? —David Roper

O love of God, our shield and stay
Through all the perils of our way;
Eternal love, in Thee we rest,
Forever safe, forever blest. —Bonar

Faith bridges chasms that reason cannot fathom.

greenidlady1

November 8, 2005

I Will Come Back For You

Read: John 14:1-6

I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. —John 14:18

Bible In One Year: John 14-17

In 1914 Ernest Shackleton led an expedition to sail to Antarctica, and then walk to the South Pole. The expedition went according to plan until ice trapped the ship and eventually crushed its hull. The men made their way by lifeboat to a small island. Promising to come back for them, Shackleton and a small rescue party set out across 800 miles of perilous seas to South Georgia Island.

With only a sextant to guide them, they made it to the island. Shackleton then led his party over steep mountainous terrain to the whaling port on the other side. Once there, he acquired a ship to rescue his crew. Their leader had kept his word and returned for them. Not one man was left behind.

As Jesus was preparing to leave His disciples, He promised to return. He said, "If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also" (John 14:3). After enduring the horrors of the cross, Jesus rose from the dead to provide eternal life to all who believe in Him as their Savior. He indwells us today by the Holy Spirit, but one day He will return and gather us into His presence (1 Thessalonians 4:15-18). Jesus is true to His word.

If you are His, He will come back for you! —Dennis Fisher

Lift up your heads, pilgrims aweary!
See day's approach now crimson the sky;
Night shadows flee, and your Beloved,
Awaited with longing, at last draweth nigh. —Camp
© Renewal 1941, Singspiration, Inc.

Christ's second coming is as certain as His first.

greenidlady1

November 11, 2005

Ordinary People

Read: Acts 4:1-21

When they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. —Acts 4:13

Bible In One Year: Acts 3-5

Bestselling novelist Arthur Hailey (1920-2004) once said of his characters, "I don't think I really invented anybody. I have drawn on real life." When readers open a book by the British author, they encounter ordinary people whom the writer has placed in extraordinary situations.

In Acts 4 we find ordinary people, including the fishermen Peter and John, whom God placed in unexpected situations as witnesses to the reality of the risen Christ. These men, who had fled when Jesus was arrested, were now boldly facing threats and punishment for telling others about Him.

Even the authorities who opposed these followers of Jesus were astonished "when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men . . . . And they realized that they had been with Jesus" (v.13).

Most of us are ordinary people in a real life of work, relationships, and everyday circumstances. Our opportunities to demonstrate the reality of Christ may sometimes come disguised as difficulties, as they did for the disciples in Acts.

As ordinary people, we can have an extraordinary impact for Christ if we will trust the Author of our circumstances and rely on the Holy Spirit's power. —David McCasland

Just what do Christians look like?
What sets their lives apart?
They're ordinary people
Who love God from the heart. —D. De Haan

God is looking for ordinary people to do extraordinary work.

greenidlady1

November 14, 2005

A Past Long Gone

Read: Acts 13:36-41

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus. —Romans 8:1

Bible In One Year: Acts 13-14

According to the English novelist Aldous Huxley, "There are no back moves on the chessboard of life." Yet we remain aware of things we have done and things we have left undone. Our sins worry us. They motivate us to wish fervently that somehow we could undo the past.

That's why those who put their faith in Jesus can be thankful for God's message in both the Old and New Testaments. When Paul preached in Antioch, he said, "By [Jesus], everyone who believes is justified from all things from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses" (Acts 13:39). The law condemned us (Romans 7:10-11), but Jesus offers deliverance and new life (8:1).

Are you worried about what you've done in the past? Rejoice! God has "cast all our sins into the depths of the sea" (Micah 7:19). Are you still concerned about your sins? Rejoice! "Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more" (Hebrews 10:17). And "I have blotted out, like a thick cloud, your transgressions" (Isaiah 44:22).

If you have put your faith in Jesus and asked Him to forgive you, the past is truly forgotten. "As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us" (Psalm 103:12). Trust and rejoice! —Vernon Grounds

My sin—O, the bliss of this glorious thought—
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul. —Spafford

God's forgiveness frees us from the chains of regret.

greenidlady1

November 21, 2005

Let Go!

Read: Hebrews 3:7-19

Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion. —Hebrews 3:15

Bible In One Year: 2 Thessalonians 1-3, Acts 18:12-19:10

A 14-year-old North Carolina boy refused to stop playing his Nintendo Game Boy during school hours. The principal was called in and he still refused to stop. When the school liaison officer tried to search him, the teen kicked and punched him. The police were summoned, yet the boy adamantly resisted. Only after the officers gave him two shocks from a Taser gun were they able to remove the toy from him. He was uninjured, but one officer was bitten by the boy.

How can someone be so obstinate! Consider Pharaoh's stubborn refusal to let God's people go despite numerous plagues (Exodus 5-9). Only after the seventh plague did Pharaoh begin to relent (9:27-28).

Pharaoh was foolish to harden his heart against God. Yet look at who hardened their hearts in the wilderness. Hebrews 3:15-16 says, "If you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion. For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses?" Even those who had seen God's deliverance from slavery in Egypt rebelled against Him!

Today, let us ponder whether God is speaking to us. Could it be that we are clinging to some "toy" and refusing to let Him be Lord of our lives? —Albert Lee

Dear Lord, help us when we don't know what to do.
Help us most of all when we know what to do but don't want to do it.
May it never be said that we cling tightly to what displeases You. Amen.

God must rule our hearts if our feet are to walk His way.

greenidlady1

November 23, 2005

Good Workers

Read: Exodus 35:30-36:1

Do you see a man who excels in his work? He will stand before kings. —Proverbs 22:29

Bible In One Year: 1 Corinthians 5-8

During the early years of our marriage, my wife and I attempted to wallpaper our dingy Chicago apartment. We completed the project, but not without a great deal of difficulty. At one point I even had to remove a poorly-hung section of paper and go to the store to buy more. I learned to appreciate someone who could do a job like wallpapering with skill.

I marvel when I see a carpenter make things fit without measuring and remeasuring again and again. I admire the truckdriver who masterfully backs his big rig into a tight space more easily than I do a small trailer on a 16-foot-wide driveway. I take my hat off to the plumber who so easily and good-naturedly installed a water heater in a small, seemingly inaccessible area—especially when I think of all the frustration I experienced when trying to attach a simple water filter.

We read in today's Scripture about the skilled designers and weavers who helped construct the tabernacle. Proverbs 22:29 says that a person who excels in his work "will stand before kings." And Paul wrote, "Whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord" (Colossians 3:23).

God is pleased with work done well. He honors good workers, and so should we. —Herb Vander Lugt

O Lord, I ask for strength to do
The task that You've assigned;
Help me to work with diligence,
Lest Your name be maligned. —Fasick

Work done well will receive God's "Well done!"

greenidlady1

November 27, 2005

Amazing Grace

Read: Ephesians 2:1-10

Where sin abounded, grace abounded much more. —Romans 5:20

Bible In One Year: 2 Corinthians 4-6

In the 1700s, John Newton went to sea with his father on a merchant ship. Soon after his father retired, Newton was pressed into service on a warship. Facing intolerable conditions, he deserted and later requested a transfer to a slave ship that was soon to set sail for Africa.

Newton hardened himself to the trafficking of human beings, and eventually he became captain of his own slave ship. On May 10, 1748, however, his life was changed forever. His ship encountered a terrifying, violent storm. Just as it seemed that the vessel would sink, Newton cried aloud, "Lord, have mercy upon us!"

That night in his cabin, he began to reflect upon God's mercy. Through faith in Christ's sacrifice for him, John Newton experienced God's amazing grace in a personal way. In time, he left the slave trade and entered Christian ministry. Although he became a preacher of the gospel, he is most remembered for his much-loved hymn "Amazing Grace." It's an amazing testimony of his own experience.

God's Spirit convicts us of sin and gives us the power to forsake it. When we receive Christ as our Savior, He does for us what we are powerless to do in our own strength. That's amazing grace. —Dennis Fisher

Amazing grace—how sweet the sound—
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind but now I see. —Newton

God claims by grace those who have no claim to grace.

greenidlady1

November 29, 2005

Accident Or Design?

Read: Romans 1:18-20

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork. —Psalm 19:1

Bible In One Year: 2 Corinthians 10-13

The Bible opens with this magnificent statement: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" (Genesis 1:1). How simple those words are and yet how fathomless!

Dyson Freeman, one of today's most brilliant scientists, writes that nature's laws are marked by "the greatest mathematical simplicity and beauty."

While I am not a scientist or a mathematician, I am intrigued by this statement. If there is no Designer—no Creator God—how is it that our universe can be a law-abiding system marked by beauty and simplicity? I wonder, why isn't our universe in chaos?

The only reasonable explanation to me is the God of the Bible. As it says in Romans 1:20, "Since the creation of the world [God's] invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that [we] are without excuse."

If it's only the reality of God's existence that explains the whole universe, that must also be true of our lives. We are not accidents but creatures designed by a Maker of limitless power and wisdom. Look for Him in what He has designed—you'll see Him there. —Vernon Grounds

So much about His character
God wanted to impart;
Creation shows His handiwork—
His Son reveals His heart. —Hess

The design of creation points to the Master Designer.

greenidlady1

November 30, 2005

Greater Grace

Read: Romans 3:21-30

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus. —Romans 3:23-24

Bible In One Year: Acts 20:2, Romans 1-4

One morning, when our granddaughter Julia was quite young, she and her Nana were reading the Bible together. They came to the familiar verse, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).

Julia suddenly jumped up off the sofa and ran to get my father's weathered, marked-up King James Bible that I keep on a shelf in my office and that I had showed her that very morning. "It's very old," I told her solemnly.

She took the ancient Bible in her hand and ran back to Nana, excitedly found Romans 3:23, and read to her, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."

"Yep," she said triumphantly, "Says the same thing in this one too!"

Sin has been with us from of old and will be with us as long as we live on this earth. But there is something older than sin—something that outlasts it. According to the hymnwriter Julia Johnston, it is the "marvelous grace of our loving Lord, grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!" The hymn concludes, "Grace, grace, God's grace, grace that will pardon and cleanse within; grace, grace, God's grace, grace that is greater than all our sin!" (© Renewal 1938, Hope Publishing Co.)

Have you received His grace? —David Roper

How To Receive God's Grace
Admit you are a sinner (Romans 3:23).
Believe on Jesus (Romans 10:9-13).
Confess Jesus to others (Matthew 10:32).

Grace is infinite love expressing itself in infinite goodness.

greenidlady1

December 5, 2005

A Glimpse Of Glory

Read: 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. —2 Corinthians 4:16

Bible In One Year: Acts 23-25

Age has its troubles—failing hearing and eyesight, forgetfulness, aching backs, arthritic hands. These are intimations that we are wasting away. Yet, Paul insisted, inwardly we are "being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory" (2 Corinthians 4:16-17). How so?

The way I see it, aging and weakness focus our thoughts on God. We learn to fix our eyes on Him and on unseen realities; we learn to distinguish between the permanent and what is passing away. We are drawn by God's love to set our affection on things above and not on things of earth.

And so we keep our eyes on "the things which are not seen" (v.18). We must look beyond our present frailty to what we will someday be—glorious creatures, bursting with radiant beauty and boundless energy!

So "we do not lose heart" (v.16). We can partner with our pain and go on serving, praying, loving, caring to the end of our days. We can know strength of character despite our frail humanity; we can show patient endurance and love for others in the midst of our discomfort. Despite our momentary troubles, we can press on, for we have glimpsed the glory that far outweighs them all. —David Roper

The future is seen in the Bible—
This knowledge with us God has shared;
By faith we can see the invisible,
The glory that He has prepared. —Hess

With nothing between us and God, our faces can reflect His glory.

greenidlady1

December 6, 2005

Choose Your Alliances Carefully

Read: 2 Chronicles 18:28-19:3

Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. —2 Corinthians 6:14

Bible In One Year: Acts 26-28

The Star Alliance is an affiliation of airlines that seeks to maximize passenger benefits. If you're traveling on a member airline, you can accumulate frequent-flyer miles after transferring flights and enjoy faster check-in. The Alliance's Web site calls it "a more civilized way to fly the world."

But not all alliances are mutually beneficial. In 2 Chronicles, we read that Ahab, the wicked king of Israel, formed an alliance with Jehoshaphat, king of Judah, when they joined armies against Syria. Why did Jehoshaphat establish this foolish bond with Ahab?

No reasons are given, but we know why Ahab encouraged Jehoshaphat to put on his kingly robes while Ahab disguised himself for the battle. He knew the Syrians would try to kill the king. The opposing army surrounded Jehoshaphat. He cried to the Lord for help and God diverted the troops. Despite Ahab's treacherous scheme to save his own skin, he was killed by a stray arrow.

Although Jehoshaphat escaped, Jehu the prophet confronted him, saying: "Should you help the wicked and love those who hate the Lord?" (2 Chronicles 19:2).

Helping people in need is godly. But making unwise alliances with those who hate God may prove disastrous.

Be sure to choose your alliances carefully. —Albert Lee

It is good to join hands with the righteous,
Helping others you meet on your path;
But to make an alliance with evil
Will incur God's displeasure and wrath. —Hess

Right and wrong can never be partners.

greenidlady1

December 7, 2005

Forgotten In The Gifts

Read: John 3:13-21

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. —John 3:16

Bible In One Year: Ephesians 1-3

In Western culture, the Christmas season is a time for a revelry of gift-giving. A world-famous department store annually issues a catalog of gifts of value beyond extravagance. One of them was a $10 million zeppelin—a 230-foot-long, 50-foot-wide airship capable of flying for 24 hours without refueling.

A gift like that seems unbelievably ostentatious—especially when we compare it to the lowly manger where God sent the gift of His Son. All too often, in the midst of our exchange of presents, God's gift is forgotten.

We can avoid this negligence by remembering to give from our heart. We can be inspired by love and gratitude not only for our loved ones but especially for the Supreme Giver of all good gifts—our heavenly Father.

Even the smallest, least expensive gifts can take our memories back to Bethlehem, where God gave to the world His love-gift of infinite value, His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ (John 3:16). With each present we give and receive, we can say from our heart, "Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!" (2 Corinthians 9:15). —Vernon Grounds

As they offered gifts most rare
At that manger rude and bare,
So may we with holy joy,
Pure and free from sin's alloy,
All our costly treasures bring
Christ, to Thee, our heavenly King. —Dix

The most important part of Christmas is the first six letters.

greenidlady1

December 9, 2005

Door Of Humility

Read: Philippians 2:5-11

God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow. —Philippians 2:9-10

Bible In One Year: Philippians 1-4

Over the centuries, the entrance to Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity has twice been made smaller. The purpose in the last case was to keep marauders from entering the basilica on horseback. It's now referred to as the "Door of Humility," because visitors must bend down to enter.

As we age, bending our knees becomes more and more difficult and painful. In the physical realm, some people courageously undergo knee replacement surgery. To avoid years of increasingly painful joint damage, they endure several weeks of agony.

Like physical knees, spiritual knees can grow stiff over time. Years of stubborn pride and selfishness make us inflexible, and it becomes increasingly difficult and painful for us to humble ourselves. Seduced by false feelings of importance when others submit to us, we never learn that true importance comes from submitting ourselves to God and to others (Ephesians 5:21; 1 Peter 5:5).

As we celebrate Jesus' birth, it's good to remember the Door of Humility, for it reminds us that we all need new knees—knees that will bend. Humbly is the only way to enter the presence of God.

What better way to honor the One who bent so low to be with us. —Julie Ackerman Link

Christ's humble birth should help us see
What life in Him can bring;
It's not acclaim that we should seek
But service for our King. —Branon

The road to victory is paved with humble submission to God.

greenidlady1

December 11, 2005

Confronted By The Cross

Read: Luke 23:33-43

When they had come to the place called Calvary, there they crucified [Jesus]. —Luke 23:33

Bible In One Year: Hebrews 1-4

World-famous Russian author Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn was sent to a Siberian prison because he criticized communism. Languishing there under intolerable conditions year after year, he decided to end his life. But suicide, he firmly believed, would be against God's will. He thought it would be better for a guard to shoot him.

So at a public assembly of the prisoners, he sat in a front row, planning to get up and walk toward an exit, compelling a guard to kill him. But to his surprise, another prisoner sat down, blocking his exit. That unknown man leaned over and, to Solzhenitsyn's astonishment, drew a cross on the dirt floor.

The cross! Wondering if that fellow prisoner might be a messenger from God, Solzhenitsyn resolved to endure his imprisonment. There in prison he became a Christian and was eventually set free to bear witness to the world.

Are you in the grip of difficult circumstances? Have you wondered if life is worth living? Focus your heart on the cross—it is the message of God's love, forgiveness, and saving grace for you. Invite the Christ of Calvary with His transforming power into your life. Discover for yourself that the Christ of the cross can change you. —Vernon Grounds

The cross is my hope for eternity—
No merit have I of my own;
The shed blood of Christ my only plea—
My trust is in Jesus alone. —Christiansen
© Renewal 1949 by Singspiration Inc.

Calvary's cross is the only bridge to eternal life.

star

I just wanted to thank you so much for posting these each day. You are doing a great service to God and us. I had miss place my daily breadk booklet for December and grateful I can read this each day. Keep it up. Thanks again. Wonderful Ministry!!! :grin:

greenidlady1

December 16, 2005

Job Opening
Read: Romans 12:9-16

Rejoicing in hope, . . . continuing steadfastly in prayer. —Romans 12:12

Bible In One Year: 1 Peter 3-5

About this time last year, a job became available in the church my wife and I attend. Just over a week before Christmas, my mother-in-law, Lenore Tuttle, died at the age of 85. When she went home to be with Jesus, she left a void not only in our family but also in our church. We were now without one of our most faithful prayer warriors.

At Mother Tuttle's funeral, the presiding pastor showed the congregation her prayer box. It contained dozens of prayer cards on which she had written the names of people she prayed for every day, including one that mentioned the pastor's gall bladder surgery. On top of that prayer box was this verse: "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him" (Hebrews 11:6). She was a true prayer warrior who diligently sought the Lord.

Each day, many older saints, who have continued steadfastly in prayer (Romans 12:12), leave this earth through death and move on to heaven. This creates a "job opening" for people who will commit themselves to praying faithfully. Many of these positions remain unfilled. Will you fill one of them? —Dave Branon

They labor well who intercede
For others with a pressing need;
It's on their knees they often work
And from its rigor will not shirk. —D. De Haan

greenidlady1

star said:
I just wanted to thank you so much for posting these each day. You are doing a great service to God and us. I had miss place my daily breadk booklet for December and grateful I can read this each day. Keep it up. Thanks again. Wonderful Ministry!!! :grin:

Thank you so much for saying that :). Sometimes I fall behind with so much on my plate and it helps to know that this is a blessing for everyone!!

greenidlady1

December 18, 2005

Born In Us

Read: Micah 5:1-5

Bethlehem Ephrathah, . . . out of you shall come forth to Me the One to be Ruler in Israel. —Micah 5:2

Bible In One Year: 1 Timothy 1-3

During a visit to England's picturesque Stratford-upon-Avon, I was struck by how a town's identity and future can be affected just because someone was born there. Every year, half a million people come to visit the birthplace of William Shakespeare, whom some consider the most influential playwright in the English language.

And what about Bethlehem? With the birth of Jesus, Micah's prophecy of significance was fulfilled: "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of you shall come forth to Me the One to be Ruler in Israel, whose goings forth are from of old, from everlasting" (Micah 5:2). Bethlehem is defined by Jesus' birth.

Isn't the same true for us? When Christ comes to live in us, we are changed. No longer just ordinary human beings, we become the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. Our identity and destiny are marked by Him, just as surely as a town becomes known for the significant person who was born there.

Christmas is a wonderful time to celebrate the presence of Christ in us, and the change He brings to all who invite Him in. —David McCasland

O holy Child of Bethlehem,
Descend to us, we pray;
Cast out our sin and enter in—
Be born in us today. —Brooks

God came to live with us so we could live with Him.

greenidlady1

December 19, 2005

Respect

Read:
1 Timothy 6:1-6

Let as many bondservants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honor. —1 Timothy 6:1

Bible In One Year: 1 Timothy 4-6

As a schoolteacher, my wife has noticed that behavior seems to be deteriorating with each successive class of students. Many children show little respect for older people.

First Timothy 6 reveals that disrespect is not unique to our generation. Paul, who ministered to a culture built on slavery, highlighted this concern. He wrote, "Those who have believing masters, let them not despise them because they are brethren" (v.2). Paul knew that slaves, whose welfare depended on their master's goodwill, were capable of being disrespectful.

We may say that people need to show themselves worthy of respect before we can respect them. But respecting another person is much more about who we are than about who the other person is.

Paul gave the main reason believers should excel in respect: "So that the name of God and His doctrine may not be blasphemed" (v.1).

Sadly, the worst cases of disrespect are sometimes found among those who claim to follow Jesus. But when believers excel in all they do, God's name is lifted up. All of us are to bring honor and glory to the Lord's name.

Excelling in respect for others honors God. —Albert Lee

O help me, Lord, to show respect,
To always honor You;
And may I bring You highest praise
In everything I do. —Sper

One who would be truly respected must first respect others.

greenidlady1

December 24, 2005

The Call Of The Present

Read:
Luke 1:26-38

Let it be to me according to your word. —Luke 1:38

Bible In One Year: 2 John, 3 John, Jude

The life of the mother of Jesus was simple and plain. She did the tasks that others did at her age, learning how to be a good homemaker for her future husband. There was nothing out of the ordinary about her external life—at least not revealed in Scripture.

Yet what treasures of grace lie concealed in Mary's attitude! When the angel announced that her child would be called "the Son of God," she responded, "Let it be to me according to your word" (Luke 1:38).

Her answer contained all that our Lord requires—the pure, simple submission of the soul to His will. This was the secret of Mary's deep spirituality: She abandoned herself to God's will in the present and received the grace to do what God asked of her.

What is God asking you to do? It may be something magnificent, or something ordinary. It may be to respond actively to a command of Scripture, or to submit patiently to present suffering. "What God arranges for us to experience at each moment is the holiest thing that could happen to us," commented the 18th-century writer Jean-Pierre de Caussade.

Are you able to accept each moment with grace and submission? Can you respond to the Lord as Mary said to the angel, "Let it be to me according to your word"? —David Roper

May we learn the blessed secret
Of delighting in Your will,
Welcoming whate'er You send us,
Joy or sorrow, good or ill. —Anon.

To know God's will is a treasure; to do God's will is a privilege.

greenidlady1

December 27, 2005

Unopened Tomorrows

Read:
Matthew 6:25-34

We walk by faith, not by sight. —2 Corinthians 5:7

Bible In One Year: Revelation 7-9

We often wish we could see what lies around the corner in life. Then we could prepare for it, control it, or avoid it.

A wise person has said, "Though we can't see around corners, God can." How much better and more reassuring that is!

One day my 10-year-old granddaughter Emily and I were boiling eggs for breakfast. As we stared into the boiling water and wondered how long it would take to get the eggs just right, Emily said, "Pity we can't open them up to see how they're doing." I agreed. But that would have spoiled them, so we had to rely on guesswork, with no guarantee of results.

We began talking about other things we would like to see but can't—like tomorrow. Too bad we can't crack tomorrow open, we said, to see if it's the way we would like it. But meddling with tomorrow before its time, like opening a partly cooked egg, would spoil both today and tomorrow.

Because Jesus has promised to care for us every day—and that includes tomorrow—we can live by faith one day at a time (Matthew 6:33-34).

Emily and I decided to leave tomorrow safely in God's hands. Have you? —Joanie Yoder

I know who holds the future,
And I know who holds my hand;
With God things don't just happen—
Everything by Him is planned. —A. Smith
© 1947 by Singspiration Inc.

You're only cooking up trouble when you stew about tomorrow.

greenidlady1

December 28, 2005

Digging For Treasure

Read: Proverbs 2:1-9

The Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding. —Proverbs 2:6

Bible In One Year: Revelation 10-12

Profitable Bible study involves more than just opening to a chapter and reading what's there. Here are seven guidelines to help you make the most of your study of the Bible.

1. Set aside a regular time. Unless you schedule it, you'll neglect it.

2. Before you start reading, ask God for help and understanding.

3. Carefully think about what you are reading. Not all of the Bible's treasures lie like pebbles on the surface. To mine the gold, you have to dig.

4. Seek to understand what the author was saying to the first people who read the book or letter before you decide how to apply it today.

5. Write down at least one truth or principle you can put into practice.

6. Try different translations of the Bible. If you find yourself skimming over familiar words, a new translation may focus your mind on the passage in a new way.

7. Don't get discouraged. Some parts of the Bible are more interesting than others, and some you may not understand at all. But there's enough that you can understand, and it will revolutionize your life if you apply it.

Now read today's verses again with these principles in mind. Then try it again tomorrow. You will begin to discover the treasures in the Bible. —Haddon Robinson

When reading God's Word, take special care
To find the rich treasures hidden there;
Give thought to each line, each precept clear,
Then practice it well with godly fear. —Anon.

The Bible's treasures are found by those who dig for them.