Daily Scripture Readings and Our Daily Bread

greenidlady1

December 29, 2005

Three Needs

Read:
1 John 4:7-21

We have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love. —1 John 4:16

Bible In One Year: Revelation 13-15

I've heard it said that there are three things a person needs to be happy:

1. Something to do—meaningful work or helping others.

2. Someone to love—someone to whom we can give of ourselves, such as a spouse, a child, or a friend.

3. Something to look forward to—a vacation, a visit from a loved one, improved health, the realization of a dream.

Those things may bring some temporary happiness. But for lasting fulfillment, they can all be found in a relationship with Jesus, God's Son.

Something to do. As believers, we have been given gifts from the Holy Spirit to serve our Savior by serving others in God's family (Romans 12:1-16). We are also called to spread the gospel around the world (Matthew 28:19-20).

Someone to love. We love God because He first loved us (1 John 4:19). And we love others, "for love is of God" (v.7).

Something to look forward to. One day we'll be welcomed into God's presence forever, where we will enjoy a perfect place prepared especially for us (John 14:2-3; Revelation 21:3-4). We'll see Jesus and be like Him (1 John 3:2).

For lasting fulfillment, Jesus Christ truly is everything we need. —Anne Cetas

Please help me, Lord, in everything I do
That all my work may show my love for You;
And as I talk with others on the way,
I'll tell them that You may come back today. —Hess

Where there's hope, there's happiness.

greenidlady1

December 30, 2005

Getting In Shape

Read: 2 Corinthians 3:7-18

We all, . . . beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image. —2 Corinthians 3:18

Bible In One Year: Revelation 16-18

A woman went to a diet center to lose weight. The director took her to a full-length mirror. On it he outlined a figure and told her, "This is what I want you to look like at the end of the program."

Days of intense dieting and exercise followed, and every week the woman would stand in front of the mirror, discouraged because her bulging outline didn't fit the director's ideal. But she kept at it, and finally one day she conformed to the image she longed for.

Putting ourselves next to Christ's perfect character reveals how "out of shape" we are. To be transformed into His image does not mean we attain sinless perfection; it means that we become complete and mature.

God often works through suffering to bring this about (James 1:2-4). Sometimes He uses the painful results of our sins. At other times, our difficulties may not be caused by a specific sin, yet we undergo the painful process of learning to obey our Father's will.

Are you hurting? Perhaps a shaping-up process is in progress. Jesus was perfect, yet He had to learn obedience through the things He suffered (Hebrews 5:8).

If you keep on trusting Jesus, you'll increasingly take on the image of His loveliness. —Dennis De Haan

God has a purpose in our heartache,
The Savior always knows what's best;
We learn so many precious lessons
In each sorrow, trial, and test. —Jarvis

The difficulties of life are to make us better—not bitter.

greenidlady1

January 1, 2006

Into The Unknown

Read: Hebrews 11:8-16

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called . . . . And he went out, not knowing where he was going. —Hebrews 11:8

Bible In One Year: Genesis 1-3; Matthew 1

One of the greatest obstacles we face in following Christ is fear of the unknown. We yearn to know in advance the outcome of our obedience and where He is taking us, yet we are given only the assurance that He is with us and that He is in charge. And with that, we venture into the unknown with Him.

Abraham modeled the response of a person who is willing to walk with God into an uncertain future. "By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going" (Hebrews 11:8).

Abraham knew that God had called him and had given him a promise—and that was enough. He was willing to entrust his future to the Lord.

We may do the same by trusting our Lord for the future and stepping out in faith. As we stand on the threshold of a new year, may this prayer of faith and anticipation be ours:

O Lord God, who has called us, Your servants,
To ventures of which we cannot see the ending,
By paths as yet untrodden,
And through perils unknown,
Give us faith to go out with good courage,
Not knowing where we go
But only that Your hand is leading us
And Your love is supporting us. Amen.
—David McCasland

Venture into the unknown with faith in God.

greenidlady1

January 5, 2006

The Options

Read:
Luke 16:19-31

Being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes. —Luke 16:23

Bible In One Year: Genesis 13-15; Matthew 5:1-26

Last time I checked, nobody likes having problems—problems with money, problems with cars, problems with computers, problems with people, problems with health. We would all prefer a life with as few difficulties as possible.

So, if you were to offer people the choice between (1) a future totally free of problems, sorrow, tears, and pain, and (2) a future full of pain, suffering, regret, and anguish—they would choose option one, right?

Jesus died on the cross to give us opportunity to experience that option. If we repent of our sins and trust Him as our Savior, He has promised us a life of fellowship with God in a place the Bible calls heaven. A place with no problems. A place where there are no more tears.

People living in a problem-filled world ought to be standing in line to grab that offer. Unfortunately, many haven't heard the good news; others have refused to trust Christ. When people die without Jesus, it's too late to take the offer, and they go to a place of torment the Bible calls hell.

Do you hate trouble and pain? Turn to Jesus and accept His offer of forgiveness. Your problems in this world won't disappear, but you'll reserve a home in heaven—a place of eternal joy and peace with God. —Dave Branon

Jesus is calling, "Today you must choose!"
If you delay, you surely will lose;
Listening now, you can hear the Lord's voice,
Take His salvation—make heaven your choice! —Hess

You must accept God's Son today if you want to live in heaven's sunshine tomorrow.

greenidlady1

January 10, 2006

Drawn By The Cross

Read:
John 12:23-36

I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself. —John 12:32

Bible In One Year: Genesis 25-26; Matthew 8:1-17

Towering above New York Harbor is the Statue of Liberty. That stately lady, with freedom's torch held high, has beckoned millions of people who were choking from the stifling air of tyranny or oppression. They've been drawn to what that monument symbolizes—freedom.

Inscribed on Lady Liberty's pedestal are these words by Emma Lazarus from her poem "The New Colossus":

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses
yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse
of your teeming shore;
Send these, the homeless,
tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

A different monument towers over history, offering spiritual freedom to enslaved peoples everywhere. It's the cross where Jesus hung 2,000 years ago. At first the scene repels us. Then we see the sinless Son of God dying in our place for our sins. From the cross we hear the words "Father, forgive them" (Luke 23:34) and "It is finished!" (John 19:30). As we trust in Christ as our Savior, the heavy burden of guilt rolls from our sin-weary souls. We are free for all eternity.

Have you heard and responded to the invitation of the cross? —Dennis De Haan

Lord Jesus, I know I'm a sinner and cannot save myself. I need You as my Savior. Thank You for dying in my place and rising again. I believe in You. Please set me free from my sin. I want to live with You in heaven someday. Amen.

Our greatest freedom is freedom from sin.

greenidlady1

January 17, 2006

Loving The Unlovable

Read:
Luke 19:1-10

The Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost. —Luke 19:10

Bible In One Year: Genesis 41-42; Matthew 12:1-23

Zacchaeus was easy to dislike. As a tax collector for an oppressive occupying government, he made himself rich by overcharging his countrymen. Yet, to the consternation of the crowd, Jesus honored him by going to his house and eating with him.

A judge with a reputation for toughness tells how he learned to relate to unlovable people. In a Sunday morning homily his clergyman urged the congregation to try to look at people through the eyes of Jesus.

A few days later the judge was about to give a stiff sentence to an arrogant young man who kept getting in trouble. But then he remembered what the minister had suggested. The judge said, "I looked this young man in the eye and told him I thought he was a bright and talented human being. And then I said to him, 'Let's talk together about how we can get you living in more creative and constructive ways.' We had a surprisingly good conversation."

Jesus saw Zacchaeus as a sinner with an empty hole that only He could fill, and through His kindness Zacchaeus was transformed. The judge could not report any such change, but who knows the long-term outcome? He set a good example for all of us, because he saw the man through the eyes of Jesus. —Herb Vander Lugt

We need to see through Jesus' eyes
Our neighbors who are lost;
For then we will reach out to them,
Regardless of the cost. —Sper

True compassion will put love into action.

greenidlady1

January 18, 2006

Get The Point!

Read: Galatians 2:11-21

A man is not justified by the works of the law. —Galatians 2:16

Bible In One Year: Genesis 43-45; Matthew 12:24-50

One thing you have to say about the apostle Paul—he was not a man to mince words. It didn't matter who it was—a judge, a ruler, or his fellow apostle Peter—Paul said what had to be said. In Galatians 2:16, he made the same point three times: No one is justified by the works of the law.

The law was a critical issue in the early church because many of the converts were Jews. Although they believed in Jesus, some of them just would not let go of their legalistic ways. I imagine hearing them say, "A person can't be saved unless he is circumcised and refuses to eat meat offered to idols. And no Jewish believer should ever eat with Gentiles." But Paul told them in no uncertain terms that they were wrong. Being made right with God comes by faith, not by any requirements a church or individual adds.

As the author of confusion, Satan finds all kinds of ways to corrupt the gospel by giving us the impression that faith is not enough. He plays into our desire to be in control and to do something to save ourselves—adding anything from tithing to perfect church attendance to clothing styles to entertainment choices. Each of these is important to the believer, but none is essential to salvation.

The point is: Salvation is by faith. —Dave Egner

Lord, I know that salvation is by faith because
of Your grace. Help me not to require anything else
from myself or others, so that I cannot boast
in my goodness—but only in Yours. Amen.

Justification: Our guilt gone; Christ's goodness given.

greenidlady1

January 19, 2006

Learn To Teach

Read: Job 2:1-10

Have you considered My servant Job? —Job 1:8

Bible In One Year: Genesis 46-48; Matthew 13:1-30

After my father injured his eye so severely that it had to be surgically removed, doctors and nurses commented on how well he accepted the loss. His response was indeed exceptional. Throughout the ordeal I never heard him complain.

After the accident someone asked, "Why would God allow this to happen? What does your dad have to learn at his age?"

Not every tragedy is the result of our being enrolled in God's school of hard knocks against our will. There is always something we can learn from suffering. But in this case, my father was the teacher as well as the student.

Dad's response to pain and loss, combined with my mother's ongoing godly response to her own health problems, is teaching me the lesson that God's servant Job knew was true. At the height of his suffering, his wife urged him to "curse God and die!" (Job 2:9). But Job responded, "Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?" (v.10).

Job didn't understand the reason for his suffering, yet he affirmed his steadfast belief in a God who had the right to allow trouble in our lives as well as good. In times of suffering, it's important to consider what God would have us teach, as well as what He would have us learn. —Julie Ackerman Link

Affliction has been for my profit,
That I to Thy statutes might hold;
Thy law to my soul is more precious
Than thousands of silver and gold. —Psalter

Difficulties tend to call out great qualities.

greenidlady1

January 20, 2006

The Difference Faith Makes

Read:
Psalm 14

The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." —Psalm 14:1

Bible In One Year: Genesis 49-50; Matthew 13:31-58

What if we didn't have faith in God but accepted instead the God-denying theory of evolution? Suppose we had an atheistic view of life. Cornell University biologist William Provine declared in a public debate that if you're a consistent Darwinian, you realize there's no life after death, no ultimate foundation for ethics, no ultimate meaning for our existence, no free will. Life would be empty.

Instead of that bleak unbelief, we can open our hearts and minds to have faith in God as He has revealed Himself through His Son Jesus Christ. We can have forgiveness of our sin through His death on the cross. This not only assures us of a blessed eternity but also fills our here-and-now experience with measureless blessings of meaning and hope. We can know by the indwelling Holy Spirit that Jesus' words in John 8:12 are true: "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."

As we move along on our earthly pilgrimage, we don't need to stumble in the darkness of unbelief. Instead, we can walk confidently in the light toward an eternity of unending blessedness. That's the difference faith in Jesus Christ makes. —Vernon Grounds

Come to the Light, 'tis shining for thee,
Sweetly the Light has dawned upon me;
Once I was blind, but now I can see—
The Light of the world is Jesus. —Bliss

Atheism is a fearful darkness that only the light of salvation can remove.

greenidlady1

January 24, 2006

A Bad Day?

Read: Psalm 118:15-24

This is the day the LORD has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. —Psalm 118:24

Bible In One Year: Exodus 9-11; Matthew 15:21-39

Dr. Cliff Arnall, a British psychologist, has developed a formula to determine the worst day of the year. One factor is the time elapsed since Christmas, when the holiday glow has given way to the reality of credit-card bills. Gloomy winter weather, short days, and the failure to keep New Year's resolutions are also a part of Dr. Arnall's calculations. Last year, January 24 received the dubious distinction of being "the most depressing day of the year."

Christians are not immune to the effects of weather and post-holiday letdown, but we do have a resource that can change our approach to any day. Psalm 118 recounts a list of difficulties including personal distress (v.5), national insecurity (v.10), and spiritual discipline (v.18), yet it goes on to declare, "This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it" (v.24).

The psalm is filled with a celebration of God's goodness and mercy in the midst of trouble and pain. Verse 14 comes as a shout of triumph: "The LORD is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation."

Even when circumstances hang a sign on our calendar saying "Bad Day!" the Creator enables us to thank Him for the gift of life and to receive each day with joy. —David McCasland

"What a day to be alive!"
A friend has often said to me;
And I respond with head held high:
"Alive in Christ, yes, that's the key." —Hess

Welcome each day as a gift from God.

greenidlady1

January 29, 2006

The Greatness Of Gratitude

Read: Luke 17:11-19

One of them, when he saw that he was healed, returned, and with a loud voice glorified God. —Luke 17:15

Bible In One Year: Exodus 21-22; Matthew 19

Jesus was on His way to Jerusalem when ten lepers approached Him. Standing at a distance, as lepers were required to do, they called to Him: "Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!" (Luke 17:13).

When Jesus saw them, He commanded, "Go, show yourselves to the priests." And as they journeyed, they were healed.

One of them, when he saw that he was healed, came back, threw himself at Jesus' feet, and thanked Him. "Where are the nine?" Jesus asked. Good question.

Jesus referred to the grateful man as a Samaritan—an outsider—perhaps to underscore His saying that "the sons of this world are more shrewd . . . than the sons of light" (16:8). The word translated "shrewd" means "thoughtful." Sometimes people of the world have better manners than Jesus' followers do.

In the busyness of life, we may forget to give thanks. Someone has done something for us—given a gift, performed a task, delivered a timely sermon, provided a word of counsel or comfort. But we fail to say thanks.

Has someone done something for you this week? Give that friend a call or send a thank-you note. After all, "Love has good manners" (1 Corinthians 13:5 Phillips). —David Roper

We thank You, Lord, for blessings
You give us on our way;
May we for these be grateful,
And praise You every day. —Roworth

We don't need more to be thankful for—we just need to be more thankful.

greenidlady1

January 31, 2006

Are You Free?

Read: Galatians 4:21-31

We are not children of the bondwoman but of the free. —Galatians 4:31

Bible In One Year: Exodus 25-26; Matthew 20:17-34

Kizzy Kinte didn't have a chance. The daughter of Kunta Kinte in Alex Haley's epic book Roots wanted to slip the bonds of slavery and live free, as her ancestors had done in Africa. But she couldn't. She was born of a slavewoman, Bell Kinte, and in those terrible days of bondage, she was destined to live as a slave.

Kizzy's parentage—over which she had no control—dictated her destiny.

That sounds a little like Galatians 4:31, where Paul used an analogy of an Old Testament story to help us understand bondage and freedom. Alluding to the story of Abraham, Sarah, and Hagar, Paul explained the difference between the child of a bondwoman (Hagar) and the child of a freewoman (Sarah). Only the child of the freewoman could enjoy an inheritance; the other was destined to bondage.

Here's the point: each of us—male or female, Jew or Gentile, black or white, rich or poor—can share in God's inheritance. All who trust in Jesus as Savior become "not children of the bondwoman but of the free" (v.31). We are released from the bondage of the law of God and offered God's grace instead. And our inheritance is freedom—absolute freedom in Christ.

Has God's grace made you free? —Dave Branon

Out of my bondage, sorrow, and night,
Jesus, I come, Jesus, I come;
Into Thy freedom, gladness, and light,
Jesus, I come to Thee. —Sleeper

True freedom is found in bondage to Christ.

greenidlady1

February 1, 2006

A Servant's Heart

Read:
2 Timothy 2:19-26

A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient. —2 Timothy 2:24

Bible In One Year: Exodus 27-28; Matthew 21:1-22

George Washington Carver is well known as an African-American scientist who developed scores of products from the peanut. Dr. Carver was also a humble servant of God who took every opportunity to speak to others about the Savior he loved and served.

During the 1920s, members of the YMCA and the Commission on Interracial Cooperation asked Carver to address white student audiences at colleges and universities in the South. Carver spoke about the wonders of the natural world and the loving God who created the earth and all people.

As his goal for these meetings, Carver said he wanted the students to find Jesus and make him a daily, hourly, and moment-by-moment part of their lives. "I want them to see the Great Creator in the smallest and apparently the most insignificant things about them."

Dr. Carver sought to follow the words of Paul to a young pastor: "A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth" (2 Timothy 2:24-25). That approach underscores the power of the gospel and the winsome appeal of a servant's heart.

Let's follow Carver's example. —David McCasland

My life today I yield, O Lord, to Thee,
A channel for Thy love and grace to be;
Use me just as Thou wilt, I humbly pray,
To point some soul unto the Living Way. —Christiansen

Witnessing isn't just a job to be done, it's a life to be lived.

greenidlady1

February 3, 2006

"I Dare You!"

Read: Psalm 119:41-48

I have hoped in Your ordinances. So shall I keep Your law continually. —Psalm 119:43-44

Bible In One Year: Exodus 31-33; Matthew 22:1-22

I heard a story about a small church that was having a reunion. A former member who attended the celebration had become a millionaire. When he testified about how God had blessed him over the years, he related an incident from his childhood.

He said that when he earned his first dollar as a boy, he decided to keep it for the rest of his life. But then a guest missionary preached about the urgent need on the mission field. He struggled about giving his dollar. "The Lord won, however," the man said. Then, with a sense of pride he added, "I put my treasured dollar in the offering basket. And I am convinced that the reason God has blessed me so much is that when I was a little boy I gave Him everything I possessed." The congregation was awestruck by the testimony—until a little old lady in front piped up, "I dare you to do it again!"

There's a vital truth behind that story: Past attainments are not a measure of present spiritual maturity. Psalm 119:44 says, "So shall I keep Your law continually." The psalmist knew he needed to keep his commitment fresh every day.

As Christians, we cannot rest on past victories. We must give the Lord our full devotion now. Then no one will need to challenge us, "I dare you to do it again!" —Dave Egner

Today Christ calls, "Come, follow Me!
Look not to yesterday;
Fresh grace you'll need to do My will—
Just trust Me and obey." —D. De Haan

Use the past as a springboard, not as a sofa.

greenidlady1

February 6, 2006

Jordan's Idea

Read:
2 Timothy 3:14-17

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, . . . for instruction in righteousness. —2 Timothy 3:16

Bible In One Year: Exodus 39-40; Matthew 23:23-39

One spring day, Jordan began asking questions about Jesus' resurrection as his mom was taking him to preschool. Realizing he thought Jesus was rising from the dead for the first time this Easter, she tried to correct him. She pulled the car over and told him all about Jesus' death and resurrection. She concluded, "Jesus rose from the dead a long time ago, and now He wants to live in our hearts." But Jordan still didn't understand.

Unsure how she could make it any clearer, she said, "How about if we stop by the bookstore? I saw some books about Easter when I was there last week. We'll get one and read through it together." With a wisdom beyond his years, Jordan responded, "Can't we just read the Bible?"

Jordan's idea was right. Commentaries and books about the Bible are helpful tools. But they should never be used as a substitute for God's revelation of Himself—His Word. No other book has been given to us "by inspiration of God" (2 Timothy 3:16). As author Eugene Peterson says, "God's voice [is] speaking to us, inviting, promising, blessing, confronting, commanding, healing."

Let's follow Jordan's idea and go first to the ultimate source of truth—the Bible. —Anne Cetas

Exhaustless store of treasured gems
Within this Book I hold;
And as I read, it comes alive,
New treasures to unfold. —Mortenson

Go to the Bible for your protection, correction, and direction.

greenidlady1

February 12, 2006

One More Miracle

Read: Exodus 15:1-21

I will sing to the Lord, for He has triumphed gloriously! —Exodus 15:1

Bible In One Year: Leviticus 13; Matthew 26:26-50

If you are looking for a praise and worship pattern, look no further than Exodus 15.

There you find the Israelites heaping honor on God. The people were just hours removed from one of the greatest rescues in history. The Lord had protected them from the rampaging Egyptians, and their praises reflected the renewed trust in God that this event brought them.

It's appropriate to pour out our unbridled praise on God when we see Him work in great and miraculous ways. But those aren't the only times He deserves our adoration. Too often we wait for God to perform a big answer to prayer before we feel like singing His praises.

But think about this: God doesn't owe us any miracles. He doesn't need to do anything to prove His greatness. He has already given us an incredible display of His power in His creation. He has made the ultimate sacrifice to purchase our redemption. Through His power, He has conducted the most miraculous transaction known to mankind—He brought us from spiritual death to spiritual life.

Waiting for a miracle? God's done plenty of them already. Recalling what He has done and echoing the praise in Exodus 15, let's give God our unconditional worship. —Dave Branon

Sing praise to God who reigns above,
The God of all creation,
The God of power, the God of love,
The God of our salvation. —Schutz

Praise flows naturally from a grateful heart.

greenidlady1

February 13, 2006

A Lesson From The Oak Tree

Read: Galatians 5:16-26

Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. —Galatians 5:16

Bible In One Year: Leviticus 14; Matthew 26:51-75

Have you ever noticed that in winter some oak trees retain their crisp, dry leaves long after the maples, the elms, and the walnuts have become bare skeletons? Even the strong winter winds and the early spring rains do not completely strip the oak branches of all their old leaves. But as springtime progresses, warmer winds blow and something wonderful begins to happen. Tiny buds start appearing at the tips of the twigs, and the dried remnants of the preceding season fall off. New life replaces the old.

At times, old habits cling to our lives with the same tenacity as those oak leaves. Even the winds of adversity do not remove all the lifeless leftovers of our fallen human nature.

But Christ, who dwells in our hearts by the Holy Spirit, is at work. His life within us continually seeks to push off the old habits—renewing us when we confess our sins, steadying us when we falter, and strengthening us to do His will.

When every effort to cast off an old sinful habit ends in failure, remember the mighty oak. Thank God for His Spirit who lives in you. Keep saying yes to His gentle urging to be kind, loving, compassionate, honest, and faithful. Those "lifeless old leaves" will eventually drop off. —Dennis De Haan

When stubborn sins tenaciously
Hold to their former place,
We must rely on Jesus' strength
And His unfailing grace. —Sper

To get rid of a bad habit, start a good one—trust God.

greenidlady1

February 18, 2006

Inside Out

Read: Ephesians 4:25-32

[Jesus] said, "What comes out of a man, that defiles a man." —Mark 7:20

Bible In One Year: Leviticus 23-24; Mark 1:1-22

While giving a sermon, missionary Hudson Taylor filled a glass with water and placed it on a table in front of him. As he was speaking, he pounded his fist hard enough to make the water splash onto the table. He then explained, "You will come up against much trouble. But when you do, remember, only what's in you will spill out."

That's worth thinking about, isn't it? When we are mistreated or misunderstood, how do we respond? With loving words, patience, and kindness? Or are we inclined to retaliate in anger?

In Ephesians 4:25-32, we see the contrast between what a person is before he is saved and what he is afterward. When we live under the control of the Holy Spirit, we will show it by the way we react to the jolting trials and temptations of life. How we respond to trying, embarrassing situations that are suddenly thrust upon us is a good test of how much we have grown in grace.

It is possible to suppress frustration and anger, and to appear undisturbed to people around us. But if our heart is full of the Savior's love, we will respond to the jostling of an unexpected trial with genuine patience and kindness. Like a full glass of water, what's inside of us will spill over on the outside. —Richard De Haan

Lord, help me flee all sin and shame,
Lest I disgrace Your holy name;
And may I live so others see
The Savior's love revealed in me. —D. De Haan

When trouble grows, your character shows.

greenidlady1

February 27, 2006

Everlasting Arms

Read: Deuteronomy 33:26-29

The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms. —Deuteronomy 33:27

Bible In One Year: Numbers 17-19; Mark 6:30-56

After a pre-concert rehearsal in New York City's Carnegie Hall, Randall Atcheson sat on stage alone. He had successfully navigated the intricate piano compositions of Beethoven, Chopin, and Liszt for the evening program, and with only minutes remaining before the doors opened, he wanted to play one more piece for himself. What came from his heart and his hands was an old hymn by Elisha Hoffman:

What have I to dread,
what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms?
I have blessed peace
with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Those words echo the truth in the final blessing of Moses: "There is no one like the God of Jeshurun, who rides the heavens to help you, and in His excellency on the clouds. The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms" (Deuteronomy 33:26-27).

What a gift we have in our own arms and hands—they can swing a hammer, hold a child, or help a friend. But while our strength is limited, God's boundless power on our behalf is expressed in might and gentle care. "Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save" (Isaiah 59:1). "He will gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom" (Isaiah 40:11).

Whatever challenge or opportunity we face, there is security and peace in His everlasting arms. —David McCasland

The heavenly Father's arms never tire of holding His children.

greenidlady1

March 1, 2006

Security

Read:
Psalm 31:19-24

You shall hide them in the secret place of Your presence. —Psalm 31:20

Bible In One Year: Numbers 23-25; Mark 7:14-37

A primary school in Japan is testing a system to improve the security of students and also give their parents peace of mind. A radio frequency identification tag carried by each student sends a signal to receivers at school gates, and a computer shows when each student enters or leaves. The system can automatically send an e-mail to notify parents that their children have arrived at school or left for home. In cities where children often commute long distances to school, the system has received high marks from parents, and the kids think it's cool.

In a dangerous world, it's good to remember that our ultimate safety and protection lie in God's hands. David recalled a time when he felt completely cut off from the Lord's help. But he learned that even in desperate situations, God would hide those who fear Him "in the secret place of [His] presence; . . . [He] shall keep them secretly in a pavilion" (Psalm 31:20).

God always knows where we are. There is no place where He does not see our need and hear our cry. "You heard the voice of my supplications when I cried out to You" (v.22).

"Be of good courage," the psalmist concluded, "and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the Lord" (v.24). —David McCasland

Our strength and hope is in the Lord—
We rest secure in His sure Word;
And though we're tempted to despair,
We know we're kept within His care. —D. De Haan

No one is more secure than the one who is held in God's hands.

EishBuhgeish

I know this may not be the traditional scripture reading & daily bread, but I didnt want to make a whole new thread considering I dont recieve them regularly, Anyway. I hope yall enjoy it :) I know I did. I was nodding my head the whooooole time!

The EX Daily Word for March 2, 2006

"Same Old Same Old"

Heb. 12:1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of
witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that
slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress.
And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us.

The devil has no new tricks. He keeps using the same thing over and
over to test you, try you, and cause you to fall. But God never lives
in the past. How many times have you ever heard God say in the word,
"if you had done this, you would have this?" Never! God only moves
forward. He does not even consider your past when he is working on
you. As a matter of fact, he doesn't even care to remember your past.
But the enemy keeps bringing situations that once caused you stumble.
When it involves your past, or when it's something that you once
struggled with, you can bet it's the enemy testing your progress. God
matures us, and then God allows the enemy to try us to prove our
progress. Before you can move to the next level, you must first pass
the test for the level you are on now. So many of us are stuck on the
same level for years because we will not let go of people, places,
things, that cause us to fall. But until you master your level, you
will not be promoted.

The key is that you have to see yourself free and doing better. You
have to desire more to get more and you have to desire to be free to
get free. As long as you are holding on to the same stuff, then you
will not make any progress. God wants us to desire to please him and
desire a better way of living. Sometimes we can do the same thing for
so long that we lose sight of the real way it should be done. This is
why church, fellowship, and reading the word is so important because it
does not let stay the same, but seeing others and hearing other
testimonies and reading what God said will cause us to grow and not
stay the same. Anything that does not grow is dead! Plain and simple,
you will be walking as a spiritually dead person if you stop growing.
No God, no victory, and no progress. Your life will indeed be the same
old same old! So, strive for excellence in your walk and get hip to
the devils tactics. Know it is him and recognize when you should
change things in your life. When that same old temptation comes, start
resisting with everything you got! When that same old depression
comes, block it out and speak the Word of God. When that same old
situation tries to raise it's head, run for your life into the shadow
of the Almighty. Do what you have to do, but avoid doing the same old
things.
Suggested Reading: Eph. 4:15, 1Tim. 6:11, 2Tim. 2:22, James 4:7, 1Pet.
2:2, 2Pet. 3:18,

greenidlady1

March 6, 2006

A Personal Thank You

Read: 2 Corinthians 1:3-11

[God] comforts us . . . that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble. —2 Corinthians 1:4

Bible In One Year: Deuteronomy 1-2; Mark 10:1-31

For more than 3 years, our family has traveled the road of sorrow and comfort since the death of our daughter Melissa.

That ministry of comfort is described in 2 Corinthians 1, where Paul wrote, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God" (vv.3-4).

Over these years, I have shared with Our Daily Bread readers what we've learned from God and what we've learned about Him. Our family has been touched by the comfort He has brought us through His Word and His people.

When I wrote about God's work of comfort through this tragedy, hundreds upon hundreds of readers sent us letters, e-mails, photos, songs, poems, paintings, and more to express sympathy, love, and appreciation. God brought us comfort, and I shared. God brought others comfort, and they shared. In their love, God's people have shown how His ministry of comfort works. Thank you for caring for us.

If we've been comforted by God, we can have a part in the incredible ministry of comfort to others. —Dave Branon

The comfort God has given us
He wants us all to share
With others who, with broken hearts,
Are caught in deep despair. —Sper

Those who have suffered are best able to help those who are suffering.

greenidlady1

March 8, 2006

A Living Hope

Read: 1 Peter 1:3-9

Blessed be [God] . . . who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope. —1 Peter 1:3

Bible In One Year: Deuteronomy 5-7; Mark 11:1-18

Life is hard for everybody, but it's much harder for some than for others. Putting our trust in Christ as our Savior does little to change that. Nothing in the Bible promises us a free pass merely because we are Christ's followers. In fact, some of our wounds may not heal and some of our deficiencies may not be corrected during our lifetime. They may even get worse. Yet our deformities and weaknesses are only temporary.

Anticipating what God has in store for us can put a smile in our heart. Hope gives us poise and lets us live with inner strength, because we know that one day we will be dramatically different than we are now.

If you are in some way damaged by past abuse or feeling defeated by sin, or if you feel so inferior to others that you walk with your eyes to the ground, take heart in what God has in store for you. Live today with the courage God gives you. Make what you can of your afflictions. But rejoice, because all that degrades and limits you is only temporary. It will be gone—some of it sooner rather than later.

If you have a living hope in Christ, you can deal with your past because of your future. God's glorious best for you lies ahead. —Haddon Robinson

Lord, give us grace to trust You when
Life's burdens seem too much to bear;
Dispel the darkness with new hope
And help us rise above despair. —Sper

Christians can cope with their past because they have hope for the future.

greenidlady1

March 9, 2006

The Good That Pain Can Do

Read: 1 Peter 4:1-3

It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I may learn Your statutes. —Psalm 119:71

Bible In One Year: Deuteronomy 8-10; Mark 11:19-33

Affliction, when we accept it with humility, can be instructive, a discipline that leads us to a deeper, fuller life. "Before I was afflicted I went astray," David said, "but now I keep Your Word" (Psalm 119:67). Peter would agree: Affliction leads us not to live for ourselves "but for the will of God" (1 Peter 4:2).

Far from being an obstacle to our spiritual growth, pain can be the instrument of it—if we're trained by it. It can push us closer to God and deeper into His Word. It is a means by which He graciously shapes us to be like His Son, gradually giving us the compassion, contentment, tranquility, and courage we long and pray for. Without pain, we wouldn't be all that God wants us to be. His strength shines brightest through human weakness.

Has God set you apart today to receive instruction through suffering and pain? Endure this training patiently. He can turn the trial into a blessing. He can use it to draw you close to His heart and into His Word, teach you the lessons He intends for you to learn, and use it to bestow His grace on you.

God is making more of you—something much better—than you ever thought possible. —David Roper

By faith a Christian can have poise
And rise above all that annoys—
Sustained and strengthened by God's power
To live in victory hour by hour. —Hess

Whatever God teaches us through pain is gain.

greenidlady1

March 10, 2006

A Great Coach

Read: Philippians 2:12-24

I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state. —Philippians 2:20

Bible In One Year: Deuteronomy 11-13; Mark 12:1-27

Although Billy Connors was not a great athlete himself, many people consider him to be the best pitching coach in major league baseball today. New York Yankees manager Joe Torre said: "Sometimes the best players can't coach, because they were such naturals . . . whereas guys like Billy had to work at it, and pay attention to all the little things."

Connors also knows and cares about the men he coaches. All of them have been to his home for a meal. His genuine concern opens their ears to what he has to say.

This account of a caring and competent coach made me think of Timothy in the New Testament. Though at times he seemed timid and fearful (2 Timothy 1:6-8), Paul considered him proven and dependable in guiding others. The apostle wrote, "I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you . . . . For I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state" (Philippians 2:19-20).

Spiritual coaching is not just telling people how to accomplish great things for God. It begins with caring for them and earning the right to be heard. Then, with a keen eye and a kind word, we can encourage others in the way of faith.

Any Christian can become a great spiritual coach by the grace of God. —David McCasland

O Lord, You are faithful and always will be,
You never give up on working with me;
So as I am striving to serve You each day,
Help me show others Your will and Your way. —Fitzhugh

Genuine concern for others is the mark of a great spiritual coach.

greenidlady1

March 11, 2006

How To Face Another Day

Read: James 4:13-17

This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. —Psalm 118:24

Bible In One Year: Deuteronomy 14-16; Mark 12:28-44

World-famous cellist Pablo Casals once gave this challenging testimony: "For the past 80 years I have started each day in the same manner. . . . I go to the piano and I play two preludes and fugues of Bach. I cannot think of doing otherwise. It is a benediction on the house. But that is not its only meaning for me. It is a rediscovery of the world of which I have the joy of being a part."

If that is how a dedicated musician daily started his waking hours, we Christians—by the enabling grace of the Holy Spirit—can surely dedicate each new day to our Lord. No matter where we are or what our situation may be, each day we can resolve to dedicate the hours before us to God's praise. As David wrote, "This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it" (Psalm 118:24).

If you are facing loneliness or pain as once again you pick up your burden, you can draw on the Lord's resources and be a living testimony of His all-sufficiency. If you're filled with thanksgiving and praise, you can tell others of God's goodness.

James reminded us that we "do not know what will happen tomorrow" (4:14). All the more reason, then, to dedicate each day to rejoicing in the Lord. —Vernon Grounds

This is the day the Lord hath made,
He calls the hours His own;
Let heaven rejoice, let earth be glad,
And praise surround the throne. —Watts

If you know Jesus, you always have a reason to rejoice.

greenidlady1

March 12, 2006

Fun In God's Service

Read: Psalm 126

Our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing. . . . "The Lord has done great things for us, and we are glad." —Psalm 126:2-3

Bible In One Year: Deuteronomy 17-19; Mark 13:1-20

My grandnephew, his wife, and their daughter are serving as missionaries in New Guinea. He closes his newsletters with these words: "Having fun serving Him."

With the word fun, he means pleasure, not a sense of amusement. How pleasurable it is to be an instrument in God's hand—leading people to the Savior, comforting the sick and sorrowing, bringing transformation to troubled marriages, and doing good in the name of Jesus.

I'm quite sure the writer of Psalm 126 would agree. The six verses radiate with a spirit of joy and gladness from beginning to end. The psalm opens with a reminder of a time when God "brought back the captivity of Zion" (v.1). God had miraculously delivered His people from a grave situation (exactly what it was we don't know). It was like a dream come true—and His people were filled with joy as they responded with refreshing laughter and hearty singing. It was a revival!

After a prayer for another such revival, the psalmist made a promise to all who serve God: "Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy" (v.5).

An abundant spiritual harvest can lead to laughter and singing. Yes, serving Him is fun! —Herb Vander Lugt

What a delight to be around
People who have a faith profound!
Letting their joy in Christ be known,
Seldom are they to the doldrums prone. —Hess

Joy is a fruit of the Spirit that's always in season.

greenidlady1

March 16, 2006

True Sacrifice

Read: Philippians 2:17-30

For the work of Christ [Epaphroditus] came close to death, not regarding his life. —Philippians 2:30

Bible In One Year: Deuteronomy 28-29; Mark 14:54-72

Teenagers amaze me. So many of them love life with grand passion and face it with unrelenting optimism. Sometimes they demonstrate the Christian life in ways adults can only hope to emulate.

Such is the case with Carissa, a teen who loves soccer, basketball, friends, family, and Jesus. In 2000, her mother was diagnosed with cancer. Carissa was just 12 years old, but she began helping to care for her mom.

During the next few years, Carissa often fed her mom, dressed her, and helped her do anything she couldn't do for herself. "It was so hard to learn," she said. "Can you imagine, a mother and daughter literally changing roles? I truly learned to be a humble servant."

Sometimes, while her friends were out having fun, Carissa was helping her dad to take care of her mom. She continued to do so until the summer of 2004, when Carissa and her family said goodbye to Mom for the last time. As Carissa puts it, "God took her home and made her perfect."

Carissa reminds me of Epaphroditus, who sacrificially cared for Paul's needs (Philippians 2:25-30). What examples of caring, love, and compassion! Not all of us, of course, could set aside our lives to give as they did. But their sacrifice can teach us all about the value of servanthood. —Dave Branon

True greatness does not come to those
Who strive for worldly fame;
It lies instead with those who choose
To serve in Jesus' name. —D. De Haan

When you do little things for others, you do big things for Jesus.

greenidlady1

March 19, 2006

Unity In The Faith

Read: Ephesians 4:1-6

[God] has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth. —Acts 17:26

Bible In One Year: Joshua 1-3; Mark 16

Aristides, a second-century apologist for the Christian faith, wrote this to the Roman emperor Hadrian about believers in his day:

"They love one another. They never fail to help widows; they save orphans from those who would hurt them. If they have something, they give freely to the man who has nothing; if they see a stranger, they take him home, and are happy, as though he were a real brother. They don't consider themselves brothers in the usual sense, but brothers instead through the Spirit, in God."

As human beings, we all belong to the same family. Even though we are divided by all sorts of barriers and differences, "under the skin" we're all the same (Acts 17:26).

As believers in Jesus Christ, then, whatever our differences—denominations, preferences, worship styles—we are one spiritual body that acknowledges the same heavenly Father (Ephesians 4:4-6). The example of our spiritual forebears can be an instructive challenge to us as disciples of Jesus in the 21st century.

Let's do all we can to demonstrate our unity in Christ. Unity in our diversity is the most effective witness to this sin-fractured world. —Vernon Grounds

Join hands, then, brothers of the faith,
Whatever your race may be;
Who serves my Father as a son
Is surely kin to me. —Oxenham

Unity among Christians comes from their union with Christ.

greenidlady1

March 20, 2006

Trouble At City Hall

Read: 1 Corinthians 11:17-34

Whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. —1 Corinthians 11:27

Bible In One Year: Joshua 4-6; Luke 1:1-20

Wreckers preparing to tear down a burned-out bakery in Troy, Illinois, accidentally made a big impression on City Hall right next door. A 65-ton crane backed into the government building, creating a huge hole in the front wall. According to a supervisor, the crane operator "was just being careless."

This accident reminds me of what happened to the church in ancient Corinth. By being self-absorbed and careless with the bread and wine of the Lord's Table, some church members backed into big trouble. Their failure to honor the sanctity of the ceremony dishonored the memory of Christ's sacrifice. Many believers paid for their mistake with a loss of health or even their life (1 Corinthians 11:30).

Paul urged the Corinthians to judge themselves so that they wouldn't be judged (vv.28,31). And he pointed out that even the Lord's judgment was for their benefit (v.32).

The Lord's Table will remain an opportunity and a danger until He comes (v.26). By the attitude of our hearts, we will either honor His death or do damage to His name.

Before you celebrate the Lord's Supper, prayerfully examine yourself. Then, with a heart of gratitude, focus on His sacrifice for you. —Mart De Haan

I pause, and in fresh honesty confess
The sins I try to hide but Christ can see;
And then, in holy hush I taste the meal
And gratefully recall His death for me. —Gustafson

Only those who take their sin seriously can remember Christ's cross gratefully.