Daily Scripture Readings and Our Daily Bread

greenidlady1

March 21, 2006

Divine Interruptions

Read: Luke 10:29-37

A certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. —Luke 10:33

Bible In One Year: Joshua 7-9; Luke 1:21-38

A Samaritan made his way down to Jericho and encountered a wounded Jew lying alongside the road. Others had hurried by, too busy with their own affairs to be interrupted.

But the Samaritan, who was hated by the Jews and would be expected to pass by, "had compassion." He "bandaged his wounds, . . . set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him" (Luke 10:33-34).

God's will comes to us in strange ways, often in the form of interruptions. Just when we think our duties are done for the day and we've settled in for a quiet evening at home, someone calls on the telephone or shows up on our doorstep asking for our time. "Are you busy?" they ask.

The best thing to do is to stop looking at these intrusions as interruptions. Instead, we should take them as opportunities that God is sending us to serve those in need—to listen well, to show love, to help them on their journey toward intimacy with God.

One early Christian writer, Jean-Pierre de Caussade, said, "Love is the duty of the present moment." No matter what else we may have planned, love is our duty.

"Who is my neighbor?" I ask. Jesus answers, "The person in need I'm sending your way." —David Roper

Lord, if I'm feeling rushed today,
I need your eyes to help me see
That when an interruption comes
It is an opportunity. —Sper

An interruption may be a divine appointment.

greenidlady1

March 22, 2006

Blackbeard

Read: Isaiah 14:12-15

You were perfect in your ways . . . till iniquity was found in you. —Ezekiel 28:15

Bible In One Year: Joshua 10-12; Luke 1:39-56

As a young man in the late 1600s, Edward Teach joined the crew of a British ship that was headed to the Caribbean. Much later in his nautical career, he managed to capture a merchant vessel and turn it into a 40-gun warship. Teach soon became known as Blackbeard—the most feared pirate in the hemisphere.

Blackbeard had some success as a pirate, but his "career" abruptly ended when he encountered a contingent of the British Royal Navy. In a desperate battle, he and his fellow pirates were killed, putting an end to their terrorizing exploits.

Long ago in the heavenly places, an angel fell into spiritual piracy. Lucifer was a cherub who stood in the radiant glory of God (Ezekiel 28:11-15). But his own self-love replaced love for his Creator. Desiring to be like the Most High, he led a rebellion and was cast out of heaven (Isaiah 14:12-15). Today he and his henchmen are doing whatever they can to commandeer the lives of human beings (Luke 8:12; 2 Corinthians 4:4).

Even so, we don't need to be afraid. Satan is a dangerous enemy, but Jesus sealed his ultimate fate when He rose from the dead. And He has given us everything we need to withstand the devil's attacks (Ephesians 6:10-18). —Dennis Fisher

And though this world with devils filled
Should threaten to undo us;
We will not fear, for God has willed
His truth to triumph through us. —Luther

He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. —1 John 4:4

greenidlady1

March 28, 2006

Keep Going For God!

Read: Psalm 92

They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing. —Psalm 92:14

Bible In One Year: Judges 4-6; Luke 4:31-44

A familiar saying goes something like this: "Old age is a matter of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!"

That must have been John Kelley's attitude. Kelley, who died in 2004 at the age of 96, ran in 58 Boston Marathons (that's 26.2 miles each time)—including his last one in 1992 when he was 84 years old.

Kelley's remarkable feat is a reminder to each of us that we must stay active as long as we can. Far too many folks hit middle age and put the body in neutral. And Christians too often put their service for Jesus Christ in the same inactive mode.

Each of us has a responsibility to God, as long as He gives us physical and mental strength, to work heartily "as to the Lord" (Colossians 3:23). We are never called to retire from life and coast home to heaven.

The psalmist said that the righteous "shall still bear fruit in old age" (Psalm 92:14). For those who are physically able, that means continuing in active service. For those who can no longer move about, that means being active in prayer and in quiet service.

Let's make sure old age doesn't stop us from bearing fruit. We need to keep going for God. —Dave Branon

Growing old but not retiring,
For the battle still is on;
Going on without relenting
Till the final victory's won. —Anon.

To stay youthful, stay useful.

greenidlady1

March 29, 2006

A Bold Entrance

Read: Hebrews 4:14-16

Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace. —Hebrews 4:16

Bible In One Year: Judges 7-8; Luke 5:1-16

One morning, Scott Long and his wife had just awakened and were lying in bed when suddenly a young fellow entered their bedroom. He walked around the bed to Scott's side.

If the trespasser had been a total stranger, his entrance would've been criminal intrusion. If he had been a friend, his entrance would've been just plain obnoxious. But it was their toddler son who had entered their bedroom, jumped on the bed, and boldly said, "I want in the middle." Scott was struck with the beauty of a child's security in knowing he is wanted.

We are welcome in our heavenly Father's presence as well. Hebrews 4:16 tells us we can "come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." We can approach Him confidently about anything—our needs and our desires—knowing that He cares for us (1 Peter 5:7).

Writer Phillips Brooks said, "If man is man and God is God, to live without prayer is not merely an awful thing; it is an infinitely foolish thing."

Let's not be foolish and ignore the help we can find in prayer to our Father. Instead, let's approach Him with the boldness of a child who knows he is loved and wanted by his father. —Anne Cetas

When we approach the Lord in prayer,
We can come boldly to His throne;
His children come expectantly,
For grace and mercy will be shown. —Sper

Pray as a child talks to his father.

greenidlady1

March 30, 2006

Groans Now, Glory Later

Read: Romans 8:16-30

Our light affliction . . . is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory. —2 Corinthians 4:17

Bible In One Year: Judges 9-10; Luke 5:17-39

I once heard of a Christian seminar titled, "How To Live A Stress-Free Life." Such an unrealistic hope promptly made me stressful! Yet we all long for relief from life's many pressures.

A Christian friend of mine whose family is experiencing tough times admits feeling let down by God. She said, "I've prayed, agonized, and claimed promises, but nothing changes. The frustrating thing is that I know He has the power to get us out of this. I've seen Him do it before, but this time He's silent."

Larry Crabb, in his book Inside Out, emphasizes that our only hope for complete relief from hardship is to be with Jesus in heaven. "Until then," he says, "we either groan or pretend we don't." He adds, "The experience of groaning, however, is precisely what modern Christianity so often tries to help us escape."

My friend is groaning and she's not pretending she isn't. Like all of us, she simply wants things to change. But the fact is, something is changing—she is!

Paul assured us in 2 Corinthians 4:17 that our present sufferings are lightweight and brief compared with the weighty and eternal changes they are producing in us. We groan now, but there's glory ahead (Romans 8:18). —Joanie Yoder

The obstacles that we must face
Along life's rocky way
Are used by God so we might hear
"Well done" from Him someday. —Sper

God often uses a setback to move us forward.

greenidlady1

April 1, 2006

The Forgotten Book

Read: Psalm 119:89-104

I will never forget Your precepts, for by them You have given me life. —Psalm 119:93

Bible In One Year: Judges 13-15; Luke 6:27-49

A young boy noticed a large black book all covered with dust lying on a high shelf. His curiosity was aroused, so he asked his mother about it. Embarrassed, she hastily explained, "That's a Bible. It's God's Book." The boy thought for a moment and then said, "Well, if that's God's Book, why don't we give it back to Him? Nobody around here uses it anyway."

In many homes, the Bible is hardly used or even thought about. The only time anyone picks it up to read it is when there's trouble, sickness, or a death in the family. And even then, the person may not know where to look for the help that's needed.

How long has it been since you've picked up your Bible and studied it for your own enjoyment, edification, and spiritual growth? Yes, it's God's Book—but He doesn't want it back. He wants you to keep it, to ponder it, to understand it, to believe it, and to obey its message.

That's the primary reason for this booklet, Our Daily Bread. Each devotional article is intended to help you understand God's Word.

Did you read today's Scripture passage? If not, why not do so right now? Don't let the Bible become the forgotten Book in your home. —Richard De Haan

O let me love my Bible more
And take a fresh delight
By day to read these wonders o'er
And meditate by night. —Watts

The more you read the Bible, the more you'll love its Author.

greenidlady1

April 5, 2006

Always Awake

Read: Psalm 121

I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. —Psalm 4:8

Bible In One Year: 1 Samuel 1-3; Luke 8:26-56

A mother and her 4-year-old daughter were preparing for bed. The child was afraid of the dark. When the lights were turned off, the girl noticed the moon shining through the window. "Mommy," she asked, "is that God's light up there?" "Yes, it is," came the reply. Soon another question: "Will He put it out and go to sleep too?" "Oh no, He never goes to sleep." After a few silent moments, the little girl said, "As long as God is awake, I'm not scared." Realizing that the Lord would be watching over her, the reassured child soon fell into a peaceful sleep.

As Christians, we may confidently commit both the night and the day to our ever-faithful God. He is fully aware of our fears in the dark as well as our frustrations in the light. We can be assured of His constant care. His loving eye and protecting hand are always upon us.

Perhaps you face lonely hours because of illness or the loss of a loved one. The shadows of the night make the anxiety of your situation seem greater than ever. Doubts arise and fears flood your soul, robbing you of your needed rest.

Trust the heavenly Father, and with the psalmist you will be able to say, "I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety" (Psalm 4:8). Remember, God is always awake. —Paul Van Gorder

In His care confiding
I will sweetly sleep,
For the Lord my Savior
Will in safety keep. —Psalter

If you have trouble getting to sleep, try resting in the Lord.

greenidlady1

April 7, 2006

"They Wouldn't Let Me!"

Read: Matthew 11:20-30

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. —Matthew 11:28

Bible In One Year: 1 Samuel 7-9; Luke 9:18-36

A woman was trapped on the top floor of a burning building. Flames and smoke blocked every way of escape. When firefighters arrived, one of the men scrambled up a ladder to the window where the woman was screaming for help, and with outstretched arms he offered to save her. But when she looked down and saw the great distance to the ground below, she panicked and drew back into the room.

The man attempting the rescue begged her to trust him for her safety, but his pleas were not heeded. In senseless fear she retreated beyond the fireman's reach. Finally, being forced to return to the ground, he said with tears in his eyes, "I did everything I could to save her, but she wouldn't let me!"

Those words made me think of the spiritual peril facing so many people. Jesus longs to forgive their sins, but they stubbornly resist His offer of salvation. By refusing to trust Him, they are like the woman who perished in the flames even though she could have escaped.

Dear friend, right now believe on the Lord Jesus! He invites you to come to Him (Matthew 11:28). Don't be among those of whom the Lord must say, "I did everything I could to save them, but they wouldn't let Me!" —Richard De Haan

Why do you wait, dear brother?
The harvest is passing away;
Your Savior is longing to bless you,
There's danger and death in delay. —Root

Faith is the hand that receives God's gift.

greenidlady1

April 10, 2006

Convicting Word

Read: Mark 2:1-12

When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven you." —Mark 2:5

Bible In One Year: 1 Samuel 15-16; Luke 10:25-42

A young cowboy with no regard for God traveled to San Francisco and began a life of revelry, spending the money he had earned while working on the range. One night he staggered to his hotel room and slept until late the next day. When he awoke, he saw a small book on a nightstand near his bed and picked it up. It was the gospel of Mark. Disgusted, he threw it on the floor.

That evening, the book had once again been laid beside the bed. When he saw it in the same place the third day, he decided to read it. He found the book so interesting he couldn't lay it aside. He later testified, "I learned that the Son of God said to a paralyzed man, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' and praised a poor widow for giving her last two coins. I was impressed when Jesus took little children in His arms and blessed them. And then, in spite of the unjust way He was treated, He went to the cross to save sinners. When I read why He died, I saw my own guilt and found peace in believing." From that day forward, that cowboy became a different man and spent many years giving copies of the book of Mark to others.

We too must reach as many as possible with the convicting Word. The gospel is truly powerful. —Henry Bosch

O what joy awaits you, sinner,
When you heed Christ's "Come to Me."
To each seeking soul He whispers,
"I have now forgiven thee!" —Bosch

The gospel is sent to break hard hearts and to heal broken ones.

greenidlady1

April 16, 2006

The Great Overcomer

Read: Hebrews 12:1-16

O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? —Romans 7:24

Bible In One Year: 1 Samuel 30-31; Luke 13:23-35

Who is not inspired by the competitor who makes a comeback after being down and seemingly out of the running! The runner who stumbles while coming off the starting blocks but moves gradually into the lead stirs the imagination of us all. The team that can come from behind in the last moments to win excites us even more than the team that constantly wins by scoring big in the first part of the game.

Jesus made the most amazing comeback the world has ever seen. After being humiliated, insulted, spit upon, whipped, beaten, and nailed to a cross, His executioners claimed victory and declared Him dead. A military guard secured His tomb. How could anyone be more down and out than that?

Yet the struggle was not over; it was only the beginning. Three days later, He rose from the grave and reappeared as the victor over sin, death, and hell—a comeback like no other in all of history.

Are you feeling out of the running today? Have you stumbled badly? Think about Jesus' suffering. Ponder His resurrection. Ask Him to give you the victory. Just imagine what He has to offer you, no matter how far down you are now!

No one has overcome like our Lord. —Mart De Haan

The great example is our Lord
Of overcoming power;
The strength that brought Him from the grave
Gives hope in life's dark hour. —Branon

Jesus died to save us and lives to keep us.

greenidlady1

April 18, 2006

Glad Service

Read: Ephesians 6:5-9

Serve the Lord with gladness; come before His presence with singing. —Psalm 100:2

Bible In One Year: 2 Samuel 3-5; Luke 14:25-35

As a boy, I never shared my father's enthusiasm for the soil. For several summers he had a little plot of ground in the country where he planted a garden. It provided physical therapy and relaxation for him, as well as a bountifully laden table for family and friends.

Back then, a hand-pushed plow was used to break up the ground, and the initial plowing, therefore, was often difficult. I remember helping my dad load his cultivator into the trunk one day and going with him to his garden. When we arrived, he prepared to make the first furrow while I took the lunch basket and picked a comfortable seat under the shade of an apple tree.

I was totally unsuspecting as I observed my father attach a rope to both handles of the cultivator and make a harness. Soon an unwilling boy was in front of that plow. Dad pushed and I pulled—and grumbled. Up one row and down another—over and over again. How miserable I was doing my duty!

Sometimes when we're asked to serve the Lord in a particular way, we reluctantly accept, but we do so only out of a sense of obligation. When that happens, we need to pray for a willing spirit so that we can "serve the Lord with gladness" (Psalm 100:2). —Paul Van Gorder

I am happy in the service of the King,
I am happy, oh, so happy;
Through the sunshine and the shadow I can sing,
In the service of the King. —Ackley
© 1912, The Rodeheaver Co.

A willing spirit changes the drudgery of duty into a labor of love.

greenidlady1

April 19, 2006

Keep A Low Profile

Read:
Psalm 34:11-22

The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart. —Psalm 34:18

Bible In One Year: 2 Samuel 6-8; Luke 15:1-10

The National Weather Service advises that if you're ever caught out in the open during a severe lightning storm, you should kneel down, bend forward, and put your hands on your knees. Then, if lightning strikes nearby, your body will be less likely to serve as a conductor. Maximum safety depends on keeping a low physical profile.

The same applies to Christians caught in life's storms—we must assume a low spiritual posture. This means we must humble ourselves before the Lord (Psalm 34:18), be-cause pride and rebellion can harden us. We must speak truthfully (v.13), depart from evil, do good, and seek peace (v.14). Our heavenly Father wants us to stay close to Him when our hearts are hurting so He can impart His renewing strength and healing love.

Yes, we'll get drenched in the driving rains of adversity, and sometimes its fierce winds will buffet us so severely that we'll almost be swept off our feet. With each blinding flash of lightning we may be strongly tempted to get up and run. But keeping a low spiritual profile of humility and fear of God is the surest and safest way to weather the storm. David assured us that those who trust God in life's storms will not be condemned (v.22). —Dennis De Haan

He that is down needs fear no fall,
He that is low, no pride;
He that is humble ever shall
Have God to be his guide. —Bunyan

God doesn't shield us from life's storms; He shelters us in life's storms.

greenidlady1

April 27, 2006

In Conference

READ: Luke 11:1-13

As He was praying in a certain place, . . . one of His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to pray." —Luke 11:1

The president of a large company wanted to talk to the factory’s manager about an urgent matter. But the manager’s secretary said, "He cannot be disturbed. He’s in conference—as he is every day at this time."

"Tell him the president wants to see him," the man responded impatiently.

The secretary firmly replied, "I have strict orders, Sir, not to disturb him while he is in conference."

Angrily, the man brushed past the secretary and opened the door to the manager’s office. After one quick look he backed out, gently closed the door, and said, "I’m sorry!" The president had found his manager on his knees in front of his open Bible.

The purpose of a daily devotional time is to stimulate regular, intimate meetings with the King of kings. We need to seek new orders and instructions each day from the One who has planned our lives and provided for our needs.

Jesus Himself spent regular time in prayer and inspired His disciples to pray (Luke 11:1). He gave them what we know as The Lord’s Prayer and told them to keep asking, seeking, and knocking (vv.9-10).

Have you spent time in conference with God today? It’s never too late to start. —M.R. De Haan

Begin the day with God,
Kneel down to Him in prayer;
Lift up your heart to His abode,
And seek His love to share. —Anon.

Begin the day with prayer; end it with praise.

greenidlady1

April 28, 2006

Tramps And Pilgrims

READ: Hebrews 11:13-16

They were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. —Hebrews 11:13

During the Great Depression of the early 1930s, many men became tramps. They hopped freight trains to travel from place to place, slept in empty boxcars, and earned a little money by doing seasonal jobs. When they couldn’t find a job, they resorted to begging. My mother was a "soft touch" for any such drifters who came to our door for food. They had lost the comfortable security of a home.

Like the tramp, a pilgrim may be without the comfort and protection of a home, but he knows where he is going. His hopes and aspirations are set upon a goal.

The Christian is to be that kind of pilgrim. In Hebrews we read about the heroes of the faith, who "confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth" (11:13). They were able to live godly lives of faith because they looked forward to "a better, that is, a heavenly country" (v.16).

The Lord is preparing you and me for eternity, and everything we do is full of significance. Though this earth is not our permanent place of habitation, we are not aimless vagabonds. We are to be sojourners who live responsibly as we travel to our prepared destination. We have a heavenly Father who loves us and will welcome us into that home made ready by our Savior. —Herbert Vander Lugt

A few more watches keeping,
A few more foes to down,
As pilgrims brave we journey
To win the victor’s crown! —Bosch

Don’t drive your stakes too deep; we’re moving in the morning!

greenidlady1

May 10, 2006

The Greatness Of Godliness
READ: Genesis 47:7-12

Jacob blessed Pharaoh, and went out from before Pharaoh. —Genesis 47:10

In the eyes of most people, Jacob’s brother Esau was the greater man of the two. Through the years he had accumulated immense wealth and power. He was the ruler of the land of Edom and could have met Pharaoh on his own terms. Yet Esau, with all his earthly authority, could not have blessed Pharaoh. Only Jacob had that power (Genesis 47:10).

The spiritual is greater than the natural. God can endow a humble human being with awesome moral force. Holiness has within itself the power to master all other powers.

The Greek word for power or authority (exousia) contains the preposition ex, which means “out of” or “from.” This suggests that the ability to influence others flows from inside. It is rooted in what we are. “Do you wish to be great?” Augustine asked. “Then begin by being.” Greatness comes from holiness and nothing more.

I have a friend who makes his way through the halls of power in Washington, DC, meeting with the most prominent women and men in the world. He speaks a word or two, prays, and then walks on, but he leaves behind the lingering and compelling influence of Christ. He has the aura of greatness that surrounds all whose lives reflect the character of Jesus. It is the greatness of godliness. —David H. Roper

I want my heart His throne to be,
So that a watching world may see
His likeness shining forth in me;
I want to be like Jesus. —Chisholm

Even a little example can have a big influence for Christ.

greenidlady1

May 13, 2006

Leader Or Follower? READ: Luke 5:27-32

[Jesus] said to him, “Follow Me.” —Luke 5:27

A close friend asked Gandhi, “If you admire Christ so much, why don’t you become a Christian?” It is said that he replied, “When I meet a Christian who is a follower of Christ, I may consider it.”

But isn’t that what a Christian is supposed to be—a follower of Christ? Joe Stowell, former president of Moody Bible Institute, wrote in Following Christ: “Many of us live out our faith as though [Christ] exists to follow us. We come to believe that Christ exists to satisfy our demands. . . . This disguised form of self-serving religion sets Christ up as just one more commodity in life that will enhance and empower our dreams.”

When Jesus called His disciples to follow Him, He meant that He would do the leading and directing; they would do the following (Luke 5:27). Like the disciples, we must give up our will, obey Him, and choose to “lose” our lives for Him (17:33).

Without too much thought, this might sound simple. But in reality, it is impossible to do on our own. Only by choosing each day to let go of our own plans and by trusting the Holy Spirit’s leading can we cooperate with His work in us.

This is God’s way of teaching us to become His submissive followers instead of the leader. —Anne Cetas

Because Christ is the One who holds
The key to all our needs,
We can release what we hold dear
To follow where He leads. —Sper

To lead others to Jesus, you must first learn to follow Him.

greenidlady1

May 16, 2006 Walking Tall READ: Leviticus 26:3,12-16

I have broken the bands of your yoke and made you walk upright. —Leviticus 26:13

During my basic training in the Army, our drill sergeant worked hard week after week to transform us from a group of slouching civilians into a company of men who stood straight and walked tall. It was not an easy job. When he finally said, “You’re looking good!” we felt proud of who we were and how we had changed.

That experience came to mind when I read Leviticus 26:13, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that you should not be their slaves; I have broken the bands of your yoke and made you walk upright.” After 400 years of slavery and hard labor, the people of Israel were burdened and discouraged. But under Moses, God led them out of bondage and put them on the road to a new life of freedom through obedience to Him.

It’s a vivid reminder of what God has done for us through Jesus Christ. Paul wrote: “Stand fast . . . in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage” (Galatians 5:1).

We don’t need to be bowed down with our sin. As we embrace the freedom of righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ, we can hold our heads high and keep walking tall. —David C. McCasland

May I stand firm, O God of truth,
For all that pleases Thee;
Undaunted by the critic’s frown,
Let nothing hinder me. —Bosch

There are no deadends on the road of obedience to God.

greenidlady1

May 17, 2006

A Rusty Mind READ: Hebrews 5:12-14

Solid food belongs to those . . . who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. —Hebrews 5:14

Leonardo da Vinci’s contributions to art, science, and engineering establish him as one of the great geniuses in history. Whether it be designing a flying machine or painting the Mona Lisa, his mind was alive, observant, and creative. He is credited with making this comment about maintaining mental sharpness: “Iron rusts from disuse; stagnant water loses its purity; . . . even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.”

It is also possible to become stagnant in our Christian life. This is what happened to the recipients of the book of Hebrews. The inspired author saw the symptoms and knew the cure. “Solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil” (Hebrews 5:14).

The word exercised is from the Greek gymnasium and relates to our idea of a disciplined workout. The Christian life is to be one of growing in knowledge so that we learn to choose the right path. And we do that by looking into the Word of God.

Take a fresh look at the Bible and ask God for new insights on how it affects your relationship with Him and with others. Work at staying spiritually fit. —Dennis Fisher

Search the Scripture’s precious store—
As a miner digs for ore,
Search, and you will surely find
Treasures to enrich your mind. —Anon.

Spiritual growth requires the solid food of God’s Word.

greenidlady1

May 18, 2006

Are You A Complainer? READ: Numbers 11:1-10

When the people complained, it displeased the Lord. —Numbers 11:1

There’s a story about a farmer who was known for his negative attitude. One day a neighbor stopped by and commented on the farmer’s wonderful crop. “You must be extremely happy with this year’s harvest,” he said. The farmer grudgingly replied, “Well, yes, it looks like a pretty good one, but a bumper crop is awfully hard on the soil.”

The people of Israel had the same kind of complaining attitude. God had miraculously taken care of them during their wilderness wanderings, yet they constantly complained. For example, they griped about the manna that God had so graciously provided. Remembering the fish, cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions, and garlic of Egypt, they whined, “There is nothing at all except this manna before our eyes!” (Numbers 11:6). What ingratitude!

We too sometimes tend to focus on the negatives rather than the positives of life. We murmur against the Lord when we should be praising Him for His countless blessings. We let ourselves be distracted by the disappointments and deprivations that God allows for our spiritual good.

Whenever we are tempted to grumble, let’s remember Numbers 11:1, “When the people complained, it displeased the Lord.” —Richard De Haan

Every time you want to grumble,
Think of others who have less;
Ask the Lord to keep you humble,
Grateful for each happiness. —Marye

Some people go through life standing at the complaint counter.

greenidlady1

May 19, 2006

Signs Are Not Enough READ: John 6:25-35

“This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.” . . . They said to Him, “What sign will You perform?” —John 6:29-30

Film director Woody Allen has been quoted as saying, “If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss bank.”

The reasons people give for not believing God often boil down to something they want God to do to prove Himself. Sadly, in making “to do” lists for God, we miss seeing the countless things He has already done.

Even people who lived near Jesus and who witnessed His miracles asked for more proof. Comparing Jesus to Moses, they asked, “What sign will You perform then, that we may see it and believe You? . . . Our fathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written, ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat’” (John 6:30-31).

The startling thing about their request is that just one day earlier Jesus had indeed given them bread. He had fed 5,000 of them with the bread from one boy’s lunch!

Had we been in Jesus’ place, we may have replied, “What about the bread I fed you yesterday?” But Jesus used the moment to teach them, “I am the bread of life” (v.35).

Instead of waiting in doubt and disappointment for God to do the one thing we demand of Him, let’s take the time to look at everything God has already done. —Julie Ackerman Link

If you’re waiting for a sign from heaven,
I’m afraid you may be disappointed;
God has given us the perfect witness—
Jesus Christ, the One He has anointed. —Hess

What we know of God encourages us to trust Him in all we don’t know.

greenidlady1

May 22, 2006

Whose Are You? READ: Psalm 24

The earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness, the world and those who dwell therein. —Psalm 24:1

You’re not the boss of me!” Have you ever heard a child make this statement to someone in authority? It’s the child’s attempt to assert his or her independence.

It’s not just children, though. No matter what our age, we don’t like having someone tell us what to do. After all, that person might ask us to do something we don’t want to do, or put us in a situation we don’t want to be in.

Therein lies the fear of trusting God. Afraid of putting control of our life into His hands, we prefer to dig in and say, “You’re not the boss of me.”

There’s a serious problem with that line of thinking: It’s not accurate. In reality, we cannot tell God that He’s not in charge. In Psalm 24, David said, “The earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness, the world and those who dwell therein” (v.1). God is the boss of “those who dwell” in the world. That means all of us.

Our response, therefore, of trusting Him and turning our life over to Him comes when we acknowledge His authority. We say to Him, “Lord, You are the boss of me! I acknowledge Your ownership, and I want to work with You to accomplish Your will.”

We are God’s. He is in charge. Our job is to trust in Him and live for Him. —Dave Branon

Now I belong to Jesus,
Jesus belongs to me,
Not for the years of time alone,
But for eternity. —Clayton
© Renewal 1971 by Norman Clayton Publishing Co.

You are not your own. . . . You were bought at a price. —1 Corinthians 6:19-20

greenidlady1

May 30, 2006

Beyond Amazing READ: Psalm 19:1-6

The heavens are the work of Your hands. —Psalm 102:25

In 1977, the United States launched a rocket into space. On board was a small craft called Voyager I, a probe that was jettisoned into space to explore the planets. After Voyager was done sending back photos and data from the planet Jupiter and its neighbors, it didn’t stop working. It just kept going.

Today, almost 30 years later, that tiny vehicle is still going—traveling at a speed of over 38,000 miles per hour. And it’s nearly 9 billion miles from the sun. That’s mind-boggling! Brilliant scientists have sent a ship to the edge of our solar system. It’s astounding. It’s amazing.

But it’s absolutely puny when compared with what God has done. It would be like hearing someone brag to the architect of the Empire State Building that he had traveled to the second floor.

We have barely begun to explore the vastness of God’s creation. But every small step by mankind should continue to put us in absolute awe of God’s power and creativity. Think of this: While we have left the realm of one star with a spaceship, the Creator of the stars “calls them all by name” (Isaiah 40:26). After all, He made them.

Exploring the universe is amazing. But exploring the God who made it all: That’s beyond amazing! —Dave Branon

I sing the mighty power of God
That made the mountains rise,
That spread the flowing seas abroad
And built the lofty skies. —Watts

The wonder of it all—just to think that God loves me. —Shea

greenidlady1

June 1, 2006

The Color Of Blue

READ: Numbers 15:37-41

Tell them to make tassels on the corners of their garments . . . and to put a blue thread in the tassels. —Numbers 15:38

The children of Israel were to make tassels on the corners of their garments with “a blue thread in the tassels” (Numbers 15:38). The tassels reminded them to “do all My commandments, and be holy for your God” (v.40). The blue thread—the color of the heavens above—spoke of His immeasurable power and saving grace.

We still need reminders today. In the fuss and frenzy of our busy lives, we easily forget God and His passion for us. We forget that He lives within and around us and loves us with eternal affection. It helps to have something to signify His presence. Blue can be one of those signs.

“The first step is to remember,” says Aslan in C. S. Lewis’ The Silver Chair. Aslan, a figure of Christ, tells Jill to “remember the signs” he has given her.

If you learn God’s signs—like the significance of the color blue—it will be easier to remember God’s love. Blue can remind you of the invisible realm above and all around, unseen and yet as real as anything you can see. A mountain lake, a glacial crevasse, an alpine forget-me-not, a cerulean sky—all remind us of heaven and God’s unfathomable love.

When you see blue, think of God’s love, and especially His love for you. —David H. Roper

This is my Father’s world!
He shines in all that’s fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass—
He speaks to me everywhere. —Babcock

Daily blessings are daily reminders of God.

greenidlady1

ODB readers,
Sorry I have been away for a while, I have had a LOT going on and haven't been to the boards. I am going to try to take the time to send them out again, just bear with me and PLEASE keep me in prayer!
G

greenidlady1

July 31, 2006

Tears In Heaven
READ: Revelation 21:1-8

God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. —Revelation 21:4

In 1991, famed British guitarist Eric Clapton was stricken with grief when his 4-year-old son Conor died as a result of a fall from an apartment window. Looking for an outlet for his grief, Clapton penned perhaps his most poignant ballad: “Tears In Heaven.” It seems that every note weighs heavy with the sense of pain and loss that can be understood only by a parent who has lost a child.

Surprisingly, however, Clapton said in a television interview years later, “In a sense, it wasn’t even a sad song. It was a song of belief. When it [says that] there will be no more tears in heaven, I think it’s a song of optimism—of reunion.”

The thought of a heavenly reunion is powerful indeed. For everyone who has trusted Jesus Christ for salvation, there is the hope that we will be reunited forever in a place where “God will wipe away every tear from [our] eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying” (Revelation 21:4). And, most of all, it is a place where we will “see His face” and forever be with Christ Himself (22:4).

In our times of loss and grief, of tears and sorrow, isn’t it comforting to know that Christ has purchased for us a heavenly home where there will be no more tears! —Bill Crowder

What wonders await us in yonder fair land?
The face of our Savior, the touch of His hand,
No tears and no crying, no sighs or despair,
For Jesus is waiting to welcome us there. —Kerr

When God wipes our tears, sorrow will give way to eternal song.