Damaged Hair

simone103

Hi everyone /images/graemlins/smile.gif I need help for my mother.
My mother's hair is starting to break off really badly from the result of permanent hair color /images/graemlins/frown.gif, what makes it even worse is that she has fine, thin hair to begin with. She goes to a Dominican hair salon in NYC to get her hair done. She goes to them because their prices are cheap.

About a month ago, she told the hair dresser that all she wanted was a rinse (not a permanent dye), she even went as far as telling the manager (the only one that speaks english in the salon) that she wanted a rinse. My mother said that she noticed that the hair dresser was mixing the hair dye before she applied it to her hair. I asked her if she had smelled ammonia or peroxide when they were putting it in her hair, and my mother said no. Needless to say, when my mother would get her hair washed she noticed that none of the color was coming out, and when her hair started falling out recently, she finally realized that they put a permanent color in her hair. I told her the only thing that she can do now is deep condition her hair each time she washes it.

I feel really bad for my mother, because when I was living at home I used to do her hair, and her hair was in relatively good health. But ever since I moved away from home to college and work, the state of her hair has gone down drastically. To make matters worse, she is hair illiterate. I keep trying to tell her to pay close attention to what the hair dresser is doing and to speak up if she feels that they are doing something wrong.

Is there anyone that lives in NYC that knows of a really good hair salon that my mom can go to, preferably one that specializes in damaged hair? My family lives in the Bronx, so if any of you know of a good salon there that would be good, but if not, any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks

Pumpkin

I don't know much about places in the Bronx but I can recommend a few in Manhattan and Brooklyn

Los Condes in Washington Heights on Broadway and 153 (I think)

Joseph's (it's really expensive but it has done wonders for my hair) on East 60th and Lexington

Greg's Rogers Ave between Linden Blvd and Marten's Ave in Brooklyn