Dandruff and Seborrheic dermatitis...

hijadelpalmas

Good afternoon everyone !

I wanted to ask yall what you used to help with your condition... ? I used neem powder but I still have some flaking :(...

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I started washing with this Head and shoulders 2 in 1 back in May of this year. Never looked back. Can buy at Target or Walmart.

I can go 2 weeks between washes.

After my wash routine (and a couple of times during the week), I apply a mix of MCT oil + Lavender oil + Lemon oil+ tea tree oil to my scalp

1632975694112.png

DVAntDany

The only thing that has helped me is washing my scalp frequently with products that ACTUALLY clean. The yeast feeds off of the oils on your scalp. I didn’t see a big difference until I switched shampoos.

Products with zinc pyrithione like Head and Shoulders didn’t seem to help me. I would use them daily and even leave them on for extended times like a scalp mask. I didn’t see any improvement until I started my wash and go journey. Finally, using a stronger clarifying shampoo began to help. That suave daily clarifier, Mielle Mongongo Oil Exfoliating Shampoo, V05 Kiwi and Dr Bronner’s did absolutely nothing for my scalp. I started to notice a difference when I began using Kinky Curly Come Clean and Biolage Normalizing Cleanreset.

I even had to change my moisturizing shampoos too. They weren’t strong enough to remove my sebum with regular use. I was using Mielle Pomegranate and Honey Shampoo and Design Essentials Almond & Avacado Shampoo. They did nothing for my scalp. Once I made the switch to moisturizing shampoos like Innersense Hydrating Cream Hairbath and Bread Hair Wash, I notice that my scalp was clean while being gentle on my hair.

I noticed the better my scalp was cleaned, the longer I could go between shampooing my scalp. However, once your flair up dies down, prevention is key. Don’t stop doing whatever you find helps.

DVAntDany

Last thing is if you decide to use anything with oils to lift the flakes, don’t let that be your only form of treatment. Yes, the oils helps remove the flakes but will also make the issue worse if left on the scalp.

Neomorph

For me there were 3 things that helped

1. Using an actual medicated shampoo: Nizoral, Neutrogena T-gel (or the Walgreens off brand version T-sal), As I Am Dry and Itchy Scalp. For years I was trying to go au naturale and used tea tree, peppermint oil based shampoos which helped with the itch but not scaly buildup. Once I tried the walgreen's T-sal it was a huge game changer and my hair has taken off ever since.

2. Washing more frequently: By switching from once a week shampooing to twice a week cleansing has helped keep the flakes at bay and allowed my scalp to breathe. It also had the added benefit of making my hair easier to detangle and more moisturized. The only time I'd go once a week instead of twice of week is for a blowout/silk press.

3. Sulfur 8 grease: Now I don't use this anymore as I do a modified version of the Black Girl Curls Regimen, so oils and grease are off limits. However if I was ever in a situation where I couldn't access my usual products (like say an emergency situation), sulfur 8 grease would be a lifesaver.

So now my current regimen is

Wash Twice a week with As I Am Dry and Itchy Scalp Shampoo and Conditioner
Use Kinky Curly Knot Today and Kinky Curly Curling Custard as a leave-in and styler
Clarify Hair with Walgreen's T-sal and then Deep Condition as needed

Never in my life has my scalp been this clear AND my hair been as long and healthy as it is now with this current regimen

Last edited:

colorful_coils

More frequent washing and using medicated cleansers has completely gotten rid of my seb derm. I cowash midweek with the As I Am Itchy Scalp Cowash (which has zinc pyrithione) and wash at the end of the week with the Regenpure DR Hair and Scalp Treatment (which has ketoconazole and salicylic acid) and a normal moisturizing shampoo. I also clarify once a month using Nizoral on my scalp and my normal clarifier.

Sarabellam

The only thing that has helped me is washing my scalp frequently with products that ACTUALLY clean. The yeast feeds off of the oils on your scalp. I didn’t see a big difference until I switched shampoos.

Products with zinc pyrithione like Head and Shoulders didn’t seem to help me. I would use them daily and even leave them on for extended times like a scalp mask. I didn’t see any improvement until I started my wash and go journey. Finally, using a stronger clarifying shampoo began to help. That suave daily clarifier, Mielle Mongongo Oil Exfoliating Shampoo, V05 Kiwi and Dr Bronner’s did absolutely nothing for my scalp. I started to notice a difference when I began using Kinky Curly Come Clean and Biolage Normalizing Cleanreset.

I even had to change my moisturizing shampoos too. They weren’t strong enough to remove my sebum with regular use. I was using Mielle Pomegranate and Honey Shampoo and Design Essentials Almond & Avacado Shampoo. They did nothing for my scalp. Once I made the switch to moisturizing shampoos like Innersense Hydrating Cream Hairbath and Bread Hair Wash, I notice that my scalp was clean while being gentle on my hair.

I noticed the better my scalp was cleaned, the longer I could go between shampooing my scalp. However, once your flair up dies down, prevention is key. Don’t stop doing whatever you find helps.
I don’t have sent derm but my husband does. I have been looking for a new shampoo and I took your recs. I’ve also noticed that many popular shampoos don’t get my scalp clean. I tried your innersense rec and liked it so far. I’ve always been a fan of KC Come Clean.

Thanks for the rec. I saved the list just in case DH wants to try a new shampoo too.