Dandruff-what killed it for you?

Kneechay

Honestly, I washed every weekend with medicated shampoos and other types of shampoos when I was relaxed. Dandruff returned. I'm almost positive it's a side effect of relaxing. Only when I went natural did it stop. I'm sure there are some relaxed heads who don't have dandruff, but it's too much of a coincidence for me and other women on this board.

Menina Preta

Make sure it is dandruff first. I thought mine was for years but it wasn't. Go get lisa akbari's book. Its only for 10-14 bucks.

Also, go sulfate free.

I agree. I thought I had dandruff, but instead it was dry scalp flakes (they're smaller than dandruff). Also, now that I'm sulfate free and wash more often (now 1x per week instead of every 2 weeks), the problem is becoming less and less.

Menina Preta

thanks so much! i havent relaxed since april which is 5 months. i thought this may have been the culprit but it hasnt gotten any better. ive also tried acv rinses-did one today. i aslo used neem oil a few years ago as a pre poo-it stinks but didnt do anything. i have a neem bar that i was going to wash my hair with.... i quit sulphates etc last year and thought thwould help:nono: but i will not go back to them anyway.
nina-def-how did you use neem oil?
i havent put anyting on my scalp for months apart from coconut oil as a pre poo. ive never put miconazole on my scalp-need to find uk version!!!
what does lisa akbaris book say about dandruff? have been eyeing it for a while
thanks so much for the tips-keep em coming!!!!!!:grin:

Maybe you should go to the derm, since you've tried the home remedy route. My mom and sis had dandruff something awful (huge flakes). They got some prescription and it decreased tremendously. My mom doesn't have any dandruff anymore.

C.Nicole

Real Talk.. I use to have the same problem,I would be tearing my scalp apart 2 days after salon visits. I started to cowash 2x week and do wekkly DC. I swear by this.. my scalp doesnt bother me at all anymore. I'm amazed...

P

Paradox

Pure aloe vera, essential oils mixed in with a good carrier oil like coconut oil,and it would probably be a good idea to not put any conditioner on your scalp to prevent buildup.

Ballerina_Bun

ORS Uplifting Shampoo and

Kerastase Bain Bio-Recharge Dry Hair
(hair felt so good afterwards, I cold have gotten away without using a conditioner AND my scalp problem was solved in one use. I tried this, because I can not get a fhold of ORS Uplifting Poo right now)

wheezy807

Mines stopped when i started washing my hair more frequent (when i first joined) like every 3days- twice a week.

gymfreak336

I agree. I thought I had dandruff, but instead it was dry scalp flakes (they're smaller than dandruff). Also, now that I'm sulfate free and wash more often (now 1x per week instead of every 2 weeks), the problem is becoming less and less.

Mine was negative buildup which I didn't know anything about until Artemis hooked me up with lisa akbari and then it was like a lightbulb went off in my head :lol: But I agree with you. Dandruff isn't just flakes. If you truely have dandruff, your head actually has a smell to it.

SEMO

For me, applying no product at all to my scalp helped this. Nowadays I don't put anything directly on my scalp except shampoo when washing my hair.

ETA:
I also only use the shampoos that have the less harsh cleanser (can't remember off the top of my head which it is).

Last edited:

Tee

Mines stopped when i started washing my hair more frequent (when i first joined) like every 3days- twice a week.
Same here for me. Washing/cowashing more often, going sulfate free, and drinking more water!

*It's really important to make sure you don't have build up on the scalp too.*

Starian

I ain't trying to give up my relaxers at the moment (stretching 6 months at a time is the closest I'll get to that), but sulfur products work.

MTG and BT cleared it up like that. Can't beat hair growth and a flake free scalp...

yuriko

I used Neutrogena Tgel once weekly for a month, and have been dandruff free since then. This shampoo is very drying to the hair, so use it only on the scalp, you might find the need to prepoo first to make sure it doesnt dry out your hair, i follow with a moisturizing shampoo, and DC. Tgel is very exfoliating, it exfoliated my hands because my hands had contact with it

islandgurl

i'm loving this forum!! so much advice!
i'm willing to try the tea tree route again but have never used sulphur8 as it stinks and looks so greasy. maybe i should try that too?i really thought the relaxer was the problem and havent had one since april. i'm thinking of having another one soon as my hair is mad at the moment. if winter wasnt on its way here i would wash more than once week and airdry but as it is i have had a cold for ages and have had to pick up the dreaded hairdryer again:sad:.i'm thinking of going to my gp(doctor) and see what his advice is. i have been reluctant as it will prob. be something really drying not meant for black hair.
desperate times.....

Hot40

Shampoing twice a week
Deep Condition twice a week
The night before I massage with an oil.
I have not had any dandruff in a month now.

MissNina

Libra Girl
Oh yeah, I also used the Neutrogena Tgel shampoo every other week for like 2 months at the salon. It helped.

elaine07

Oh yeah, I also used the Neutrogena Tgel shampoo every other week for like 2 months at the salon. It helped.

:yep: ITA! I still have problems w/ dandruff but this stuff has helped it slow down DRASTICALLY! I use T-Gel once a wk. It stinks and makes my hair hard, so I follow up w/ my beloved :blush: Keracare Hydrating & Detangling Poo.

gymfreak336

I also wanted to add that you can try crushing up asprin in some olive oil and massaging your scalp with the paste. Let it sit for a while and then shampoo out.

I am doing this tonight :yay: