Daniel Fast: Lesson 1 - Pure Hearts (Please join even if you are not fasting!)

FrazzledFraggle

I've been working on some lesson plans (for myself in preparation for the Daniel Fast but I thought I'd share them). I have not really put as much effort into the spiritual part of this fast as I should have the last two days. I wanted to really make this a time of Fasting and Fellowship for the believers on this board but also a time of self-reflection and a study of God's Word so that our fasting is not in vain...I need to exercise my faith muscle a bit

Ladies, I have so much to work on...it seems like for every two steps forward I take in my spiritual walk...I take two steps backwards in the time I'm spending with the Lord and letting Him really lead every direction of my life - not just the parts of my life I offer to him.

I want to really focus on the lies that the world tells us that causes us to divert off of our spiritual paths. In these lies is the root of confusion and frustration that sometimes takes root in our lives.

Some of this I have posted before on this board and have re-compiled the information for you to review, pray about
, consider, comment on...whatever you like. For me, I want this 21 days to be a time of sanctification going forward into the new year.

I intend to post a lesson periodically throughout our Daniel Fast. I may post a few today since I have a few ready.

I would love to tag people in this forum but I do not have a running list of who the Christian members are on this board so if you know of someone that you would like to see involved in the discussion, please feel free to tag them.

I would like as many as possible to answer the questions and join in the discussions. My hope is that this will help someone with direction and reflection as they fast over this new few weeks.

Please join me and let's discuss.

PURE HEARTS

Key Verse

PSALMS 139:23-24 “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me and know my thoughts; and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

Objective

TO DO A HEART CHECKUP AND DETERMINE IF I HAVE HEART DISEASE (SECRET SINS).

Lie #1

THE LORD UNDERSTANDS AND EXCUSES MY “WEAKNESSES.”

Truth

PSALMS 24:3-4 “WHO MAY CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN OF THE LORD AND ENTER WHERE HE LIVES? WHO MAY STAND BEFORE THE LORD? ONLY THOSE WITH PURE HANDS AND HEARTS, WHO DO NOT PRACTICE DISHONESTY AND LYING.”

The battle of purity is fought in the heart.

PSALMS 51:6 requires “truth in the inward parts.” The heart is central because in the Bible the heart stands for seat, source, reservoir, and instigator of our thoughts, attitudes, desires, character and motivation.

MATTHEW 5:8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.”

PROVERBS 4:23 “Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life.”

The law of sin within us, human nature, is always seeking to pull us into the defilement of sin. That is why God counsels us in PROVERBS 4:23 to keep – that is to guard, preserve, and maintain – our heart. JEREMIAH 17:9 reminds us that “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?”

Jesus clearly taught in MATTHEW 15:16-19, “Are you still without understanding? Do you not yet understand that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and is eliminated? But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.”

Personal Reflection

• WHAT ARE THE SECRET SINS IN MY LIFE? In the sight of God who sees our heart, nothing we do is hidden. Once again, pray Psalms 139:23-24.
• CONFESS THIS SIN FIRST TO GOD. GO TO SOMEONE WHO WILL HOLD YOU ACCOUNTABLE AND PRAY WITH YOU.
• FLEE FROM AND REJECT ANYTHING THAT AGGRAVATES THIS SIN. BE WILLING TO PART WITH ANYTHING OR ANYONE THAT CAUSES YOU TO SIN.
• DON’T GIVE UP. GOD LOVES YOU AND WILL PERFECT HIS CHARACTER IN YOU.

IN THE BOOK OF JAMES, WE ARE TOLD TO FLEE THE APPEARANCE OF EVIL. IN THOSE AREAS OF WEAKNESS IN YOUR LIFE, DO YOU FLEE? HOW DO YOU FLEE?

Lie #2

IF I TRY HARDER I WILL BE PURE.

Truth
1 THESSALONIANS 5:23-24 “MAY GOD HIMSELF, THE GOD OF PEACE, SANCTIFY YOU THROUGH AND THROUGH. MAY YOUR WHOLE SPIRIT, SOUL, AND BODY BE KEPT BLAMELESS AT THE COMING OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST. THE ONE WHO CALLS YOU IS FAITHFUL AND HE WILL DO IT.

We are not made pure by following a list of rules. Only God through Jesus Christ and His Holy Spirit does this miraculous sanctifying work.

1 JOHN 1:9 “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

PSALMS 51:7 “Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.”

ISAIAH 1:18 “‘Come now, let us reason together,’ says the Lord. ‘Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow; though they are as crimson, they shall be like wool.’”

Questions

• DO I REALLY BELIEVE HE WASHES AWAY MY SINS?

ISAIAH 6:7 “WITH THE COAL HE TOUCHED MY MOUTH – YOUR GUILT IS TAKEN AWAY.”

JAMES 4:8 “DRAW NEAR TO GOD, AND HE WILL DRAW NEAR TO YOU.”

• IS THERE SOMETHING IN YOUR PAST THAT KEEPS HOUNDING YOU? IF YOU HAVE CONFESSED TO GOD, REPENTED OF IT, HE HAS FORGOTTEN IT.

PSALMS 103:12 “AS FAR AS THE EAST IS FROM THE WEST, SO FAR HAS HE REMOVED OUR TRANSGRESSIONS FROM US.”

Last edited:

menina

Believing the book of Revelations
Thanks for the tag letskeekntouch! I wanna work on keeping my heart pure as well so this is right on time.:grin:

AtlantaJJ

Can I join so I can learn, I'm not fasting now but I know I need to work my way up to this.

ETA: Is this for tagged people only?

Last edited:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Not yet sure I'm doing the fast; but I love your idea to share the lessons... thanks for posting

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Thank you for the 'tag' letskeepntouch

May I come later to respond to your opening post? I've been on/off (semi-absent) from the forum due to the holidays. I need some time to catch up.

AtlantaJJ

Thank you for the tag! I'm going to sit down and study the first post when I have some quiet time this evening. :yep: :)

SummerSolstice

I want to really focus on the lies that the world tells us that causes us to divert off of our spiritual paths. In these lies is the root of confusion and frustration that sometimes takes root in our lives.
letskeepntouch...
thanks for the tag.
I have been trying to do this, but its been leading me towards apathy instead of joy. I don't really know what to do abt that. But anywho thanks for the tag.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Thank you for the tag! I'm going to sit down and study the first post when I have some quiet time this evening. :yep: :)

Same here for me .... :yep:

I will even begin during my home commute on the train this evening. It will be peaceful around me, very minor distractions.

felic1

@letskeepintouch...This is a really adorable posting. I like the part where the smiles are jumping into the cluster group. I want to participate even though I am not fasting. Thank you!!

moniq

Thanks for the tag. I would like to participate even though I am not fasting. I still haven't figured out how to use the mentions. Thank you for including me.