Daniel Fast: Lesson 4 - HE SAID, SHE SAID (Please join even if you are not fasting)

FrazzledFraggle

My sisters in Christ. I hope you are enjoying the lessons and that they have been helpful in giving you something to focus on during your Fast if you did not have a particular direction to begin with. I pray that it has been of some benefit to you.

I start back to school on Wednesday, and as a result I may not be able to post these lessons so frequently but I'll continue to pray and fast and study God's Word with you and post lessons when I have the time.

HE SAID, SHE SAID, THEY SAID

Key Verse

PROVERBS 18:21 “Death and life are in the power of the tongue.”

Objective

DETERMINE IF OUR TONGUE IS BEING USED FOR DESTRUCTION OR EDIFICATION.

Lie #1

IT IS JUST A LITTLE WHITE LIE.

Truth

COLOSSIANS 3:8-10 “BUT NOW IS THE TIME TO GET RID OF ANGER, RAGE, MALICIOUS BEHAVIOR, SLANDER, AND DIRTY LANGUAGE. DON’T LIE TO EACH OTHER, FOR YOU HAVE STRIPPED OFF YOUR OLD SINFUL NATURE AND ALL ITS WICKED DEEDS. PUT ON YOUR NEW NATURE, AND BE RENEWED AS YOU LEARN TO KNOW YOUR CREATOR AND BECOME LIKE HIM.”

PROVERBS 12:22 “The Lord detests lying lips but He delights in those who tell the truth.”

PROVERBS 6:16-19 “There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, a false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers.”

PROVERBS 25:18 “Telling lies about others is as harmful as hitting them with an ax, wounding them with a sword, or shooting them with a sharp arrow.”

PROVERBS 26:28 “A lying tongue hates its victims and flattering words cause ruin.”

EXODUS 20:16 “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.”

We read in the book of John that as Jesus was speaking to Jews who had not received Christ, He referred to Satan as the “father of lies.”

JOHN 8:44 “You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”

Lying is the strength of Satan’s system. Not only does he lie, but his desire is that we will lie as well. When we lie, we imitate Satan rather than God. Lying is a product of the flesh – our old nature that we have left behind. There are no “little white lies.” Lying is never little and it is always part of darkness.

Why do we lie? To cover up something, make ourselves look better, pride.

What are some examples of “little white lies?”

EPHESIANS 4:15 “But speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him, who is the head, even Christ.”

MATTHEW 5:37 “Simply let your ‘yes’ be ‘yes’ and your ‘no,’ ‘no’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.”

Lie #2

I AM NOT GOSSIPING…BUT WHAT I HEARD ABOUT HER IS TRUE AND WE NEED TO PRAY FOR HER …BUT DON’T TELL ANYONE ELSE!

Truth

PROVERBS 11:13 “HE WHO GOES ABOUT AS A TALEBEARER REVEALS SECRETS BUT HE WHO IS TRUSTWORTHY CONCEALS A MATTER.”

MATTHEW 12:36-37 “BUT I TELL YOU THAT MEN WILL HAVE TO GIVE AN ACCOUNT ON THE DAY OF JUDGMENT FOR EVERY CARELESS WORD THEY HAVE SPOKEN. FOR BY YOUR WORDS YOU WILL BE ACQUITTED AND BY YOUR WORDS YOU WILL BE CONDEMNED.”

Is gossip wrong? But what if what we share is true?

PROVERBS 17:9B “But he who repeats a matter separates intimate friends.”

Gossip can destroy friendships, ministries, people, leaders, marriages and reputations. Gossip cannot be taken back. Hearing gossip adds unneeded information to our mental notebooks. These negative thoughts give Satan a foothold in our lives. Hearing often results in telling; for some people, “gossip in” soon becomes “gossip out.” Sometimes this can even be in the form of a prayer request.

PROVERBS 18:8 “The words of a talebearer are as wounds and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.”

A victim of gossip according to Proverbs is a wounded person.

What is so powerful about gossip? For example, exciting to hear, makes us feel important, gives us false sense of power to have “news.”

Slander is a word used in some Bible translations which means bearing false witness with the intent to harm another person or their reputation. So, a slanderer is a malicious gossip or false accuser.

PROVERBS 20:19 “He who goes about as a slanderer reveals secrets, therefore do not associate with a gossip.”

What is the best way to keep something confidential?

PSALMS 17:3 “Though you probe my heart and examine me at night, though you test me, you will find nothing; I have resolved that my mouth will not sin.”

PSALMS 141:3 “Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips.”

Lie #3

I GUESS IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR ME IF I NEVER SAID ANYTHING AT ALL!

Truth

PROVERBS 18:21 “DEATH AND LIFE ARE IN THE POWER OF THE TONGUE.”

What are the greatest problems you are having with your tongue? What does the tongue of a godly woman sound like?

PSALMS 34:1-3 “I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make its boast in the Lord; the humble shall hear it and rejoice. O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together.”

PSALMS 89:1 “I will sing of the loving kindness of the Lord forever; to all generations I will make known Thy faithfulness with my mouth.”

PROVERBS 31:26 “She opens her mouth with wisdom and on her tongue is the law of kindness.”

COLOSSIANS 3:16-17 “Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.”

Ask yourself these questions before you speak:

Is it true?
Is it kind?
Will it build up and edify the person of whom I am speaking?
Is it necessary?
Does the person I am talking to need to know this?
If this were about me, would I want it shared with someone else?
Would I mind if the person I’m talking about were standing right here?

PSALMS 19:14 “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord my rock and my Redeemer.”

Pray this prayer this week as you begin your day and during your day.

How Can We Train Our Tongues to Please Jesus?

1. HUMBLE OURSELVES

2 CHRONICLES 7:14 “If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

2. ACKNOWLEDGE WE HAVE USED OUR TONGUE FOR DESTRUCTION

PSALMS 32:5 “Then I acknowledged my sin to You and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord’ and You forgave the guilt of my sin.”

3. HAVE GODLY SORROW

2 CORINTHIANS 7:10 “Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.” Godly sorrow is a knowledge that we have sinned against God’s holy standard. It isn’t that we’re sorry we got caught. It makes us want to repent (or turn away from) which leads to freedom. Godly sorrow never leaves us regretful or guilty.

4. ACCEPT HIS FORGIVENESS

PSALMS 32:1-2 “Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord doesn’t count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.”

5. ASK THE HOLY SPIRIT TO PUT SUCH CONVICTION IN YOU that each time you start to say something careless, unthinking or unkind, He will speak to you. Ask Him to make you super sensitive to His voice and then obey Him when He speaks.

PSALMS 19:14 “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord my Rock and Redeemer.”

May only blessings come forth from your life – from a pure heart and a kind tongue tamed by prayer and the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:

FrazzledFraggle

Re: Daniel Fast: Lesson 4 - HE SAID, SHE SAID (Please join even if you are not fastin

PSALMS 34:1-3 “I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make its boast in the Lord; the humble shall hear it and rejoice. O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together.”

"I Will Bless the Lord"

Video of the song if you want to listen. I thought the song was perfect to prepare my heart for study.

http://www.centralchurchofgod.org/v...ary Choir - I Will Bless the Lord&vidId=1656

AtlantaJJ

Re: Daniel Fast: Lesson 4 - HE SAID, SHE SAID (Please join even if you are not fastin

Thank you so much for the blessings/lessons :)