Dark hair lighter without stripping it?

kisz4tj

I want my hair to be a nice reddish brown, is this possible without stripping it? Yesterday my mom put in Adore's copper brown, it did nothing, I guess because my hair is too dark. I see alot of you ladies recommend Sebastians colourshines, is there a site that shows their hair swatches? Last but not least, what is the benefit of clear cellophane?

Not quite sure about "hair swatches" but I can provide information on clear cellophanes.

I LOVE them! I mean absolutely love them!
smile.gif
Eveytime I get my hair flat ironed, my beautican always gives me one.

I started receiving cellophanes becuase my hair was very dry. My stylist recommended that I get one to protect my hair and also provide an awesome shine. I actually have a picture of my hair WITH a cellophane and a picture of my hair WITHOUT one and you can tell the difference from the picture (in regards to the shine).

hth,

-lee

Thanks Leejure, for clarifying that for me. I'm still stumped on my other questions. What I meant by hair swatches is for some products in beauty supply stores they will have a piece of hair showing what each color looks like.

I'm bumping for Tracy...
phone.gif

I'm not Tracy, but I think you should try a "demi-permanent" haircolor, such as Clairol's Herbal Essences, or Natural Instincts... they will lighten your hair a few levels, but not as much as a permanent color would, and they are much less damaging because they don't contain ammonia. Keep in mind though, that they do contain peroxide, so I guess there is a possibility of damage or at least, dryness.

They come in some really beautiful colors and I know you could get the results that you're looking for. I have a permanent color in my hair right now but for a couple of years in the past I only used the demi-permanent and my hair did really well with them. That's the only other time besides now that my hair really grew and didn't break off.

HTH

THANK YOU LINDY!! I was hoping someone, anyone!! would help me with this one. So a demi permanent is stronger than a rinse but lighter than a permanent? I'll check out the brands you suggested this weekend.

Kisz4tj,

Tracey is definitely well-versed on this subject. Hopefully, I can also help a little. I am not sure exactly how dark your hair is. but if that rinse did not show up on your hair, then it is fairly dark. If you have dark hair and want to lighten it, you have to lift the color at least a couple of levels and deposit the lighter color. I am almost back to my naturally dark brown hair color, but I experimented a lot with color, going all the way to a light blonde.

A few of the ladies went into some of these products but as far as color goes you have 3 options: a rinse, a semi or demi permanent, and permanent. A rinse is basically colored water that rinses right out with rarely any permanent effects or damage. Technically though, there is not really such a thing as a semi permanent color or permanent color. Semi-permanents penetrate the outer layers and gradually rinse out. Permanents penetrate through most or all layers, depending on the porosity of the hair, and the type of chemicals used to lift. Often, semi-permanents penetrate the cortex of the hair shaft deeply enough to leave a permanent stain. And usually permanent colors fade, and very often fade a lot.

Your best bet probably, would be to go to a professional, especially if you don't know a lot about coloring and want to be on the safe side. I chose to do it myself with box colors. Now a word about box colors. You usually won't get what you see unless you are within a couple shades of what you are trying to get to. You will get a combination of your color, and the one pictured there in most cases. For light shades, you would have to use a bleaching agent and lift the color very light and then deposit the color you want.

In your case, since you want a reddish brown shade, you shouldn't have to work too hard to get it there. A semi-permanent shade should give you some subtle reddish brown shades. If your hair is in good condition, and you want a more dramatic change, you could look into a permanent color. I have found the best box color system by far is Clairol Textures and Tones. You will also probably get box-color or close to it with this one. If I remember correctly, it is ammonia and peroxide free , though you should check to make sure. If I would have found this brand earlier in my color experimenting process, I would have gotten the color I wanted right away, and without nearly as much damage. This was my experience, so I am not sure how your hair would respond to it.

You can also go over a permanent(and I think semi's) with a cellophane like Sebastians to get just the right shade you want, and to protect your hair and keep your color fresh.

Again, do some more research into coloring, and try to consult with a professional if you like. What works for some may not work for you, and you don't want to end up with damaged hair, so be careful. HTH

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
MSCHICHI said:

I have found the best box color system by far is Clairol Textures and Tones. You will also probably get box-color or close to it with this one. If I remember correctly, it is ammonia and peroxide free , though you should check to make sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

MsChiChi gave some good info. on haircolor. Just to let you know that I am currently using the Textures &amp; Tones which on the box says that it's a permanent haircolor. However, although it doesn't have ammonia, it DOES have peroxide, and it can lighten the hair a whole lot. It is less damaging than most of the permanent colors and I've had great results with it. To be honest, the only time I've had a problem with haircolor damaging my hair was when I got blonde highlights put in, meaning that hair strands were totally stripped of color, then a blonde shade was deposited on those strands. This is usually a no-no in combination with relaxers. I got a lot of breakage from that.
mad.gif

For you though, since you do not want to go much lighter than your natural haircolor, I'd suggest you use the Natural Instincts. They have some real pretty reddish brown, cinnamon shades that would probably be just what you want. You don't need a permanent haircolor to get that shade. They also last a good long time - much longer than the semipermanent, which seem to last only a few weeks!!

By the way, I think the Herbal Essences is a permanent color!! (sorry!) So check out the Natural Instincts and there are also a few others but I can't think of the names right now!!
drunk.gif
Oh, there is one called Clairol Lasting Color that is good also.

Let me know what you decide to do, and good luck!!

Hey Lindy,

Thank you for the correction
smile.gif
. It has been almost a year and a half since I stopped coloring and couldn't remember what wasn't in the T&amp;T. Like you, I found it to be one of the least damaging color systems I have used, and with the most dramatic results. The 2 lightest colors do have a booster, so in combination with the peroxide they are stronger than the other colors T&amp;T has.

Which color are you wearing now? I always said that if I started coloring my hair again, I would mix the honey blonde and the bronze.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
MSCHICHI said:
Which color are you wearing now? I always said that if I started coloring my hair again, I would mix the honey blonde and the bronze.

[/ QUOTE ]

MsChiChi,
I'm using the Bronze. My natural hair is very dark brown. I love the Bronze!! It comes out a very pretty color. Not brassy like some colors can be!! I get a lot of compliments on it. I plan to continue using it, even though sometimes I get tempted to try something different. If it aint broke, don't fix it, right??
grin.gif

Back