Dax Kocatah & Coconut Oil

Solitude

Dax Kocatah (Dry Scalp Relief) was my main staple in high school. I used to mix it with Sulphur 8 sometimes, but I preferred the smell of the Dax. At that time, my hair was VERY healthy and shiny; I was always getting compliments on it. I also wore phony ponies and cornrows in high school (protective styling) so that probably helped.

Anyway, I had a jar in my bathroom, so I looked at the ingredients....

Coconut oil
TAR fragrance (parfume)
D&C Violet 2
D &C Yellow 11

Wow! Coconut oil was the first ingredient....now wonder it worked so well on my hair. It's a "grease" with no mineral oil or petroleum.This is going to be one of my staples again in 2010. Anyone else still use this? I'm figuring there's not many people.....

I only started using it in high school because one of my mom's friends with MBL hair uses Dax and Sulpher 8. She washes and DC's every two weeks and wears her hair in a braid. I was trying to copy her "regimen" back then....

SelfStyled

I saw this in the BSS- I swear it had mineral oil in it though. I was all over it until I saw the MO, it smells so good. Do you have an old jar......? My hunch is that they've probably changed the formula.

Solitude

I saw this in the BSS- I swear it had mineral oil in it though. I was all over it until I saw the MO, it smells so good. Do you have an old jar......? My hunch is that they've probably changed the formula.

Thanks for responding!

Some of their products do have mineral oil and petroleum, not this particular one. I actually do have a jar, from last year so I should double-check.

Anyhoo, I never really had a problem with mineral oil or petroleum. I picked up a Dax shampoo and conditioner today; I'm pretty much going to make Dax products a part of my regimen next year - going back old school. I'm tired of buying expensive and "exotic" products only to find that they work the same as drugstore and BSS brands.

Solitude

I grew up on Dax hair care.

Yep, my mom used to use the red jar to press my hair.

I guess a lot of people would prefer to use pure coconut oil, without the tar smell of dax, but I really don't notice the fragrance.

ETA: I actually bought the "coconut oil" they sell today too - it has petroleum in it. However, the benefit of the added petroleum is that is stabilized the coconut oil and keeps it from melting easily like pure coconut oil, and petroleum can act as a protective barrier, sealing in oil and moisture.

Last edited:

SelfStyled

Thanks for responding!

Some of their products do have mineral oil and petroleum, not this particular one. I actually do have a jar, from last year so I should double-check.

Anyhoo, I never really had a problem with mineral oil or petroleum. I picked up a Dax shampoo and conditioner today; I'm pretty much going to make Dax products a part of my regimen next year - going back old school. I'm tired of buying expensive and "exotic" products only to find that they work the same as drugstore and BSS brands.

A triumphant yes to the bolded! I am going back old school too in 2010:yep: