Dead Teenager Wakes Up In Grave Then Dies In Hospital

Galadriel

Here's the news story. I'll be commenting below it:

Dead teenager 'wakes up in grave in Honduras' – only to then 'die in hospital'
Sixteen-year-old Neysi Perez was buried after doctors pronounced she was dead - but her family insist she was buried alive. Despite their best efforts, the teenager died

By David Hodari, video source Primer Impacto

4:04PM BST 25 Aug 2015

A teenage girl in Honduras had mistakenly been buried alive and apparently woke up in her coffin, only to die before she was freed.

Footage shows frantic relatives smashing into the concrete tomb of recently buried Neysi Perez, 16, after they said they heard her screaming from inside. She had been buried the previous day.

When they opened the coffin, Perez was dead. But according to relatives, she was still warm and had bruises on her fingertips. The glass viewing pane on her coffin had been smashed.

"As I put my hand on her grave, I could hear noises inside," her husband, Rudy Gonzales told Primer Impacto TV news. "I heard banging, then I heard her voice. She was screaming for help."

Perez, 16, had been three months pregnant, and apparently fell unconscious when she heard a burst of gunfire near her home in La Entrada, western Honduras.

When she began foaming at the mouth, her parents – who thought she was possessed by an evil spirit – called a local priest who attempted to perform an exorcism.

Perez was rushed to hospital when she became lifeless and was soon pronounced dead by doctors three hours later. She was buried wearing her wedding dress.

Mr Gonzales was visiting his wife’s grave 24 hours after her funeral, when he says heard screaming coming from inside the tomb.

By the time relatives and cemetery workers were able to break through the concrete and transport Perez, still in her coffin, to the hospital, it was too late. Medics again pronounced her dead.

Doctors believe that Perez suffered a severe panic attack brought on by the gunfire, which temporarily stopped her heart. They said that it is also possible that she had a cataplexy attack, which is an abrupt loss of voluntary muscle function triggered by extreme stress.

Maria Gutierrez, Perez’s mother, believed her daughter was buried alive, and blamed doctors for being too quick in signing a death certificate. "She didn’t look like she had died," Ms Gutierrez said.

Perez was later reburied in her original grave.

-------------

This story just strikes me as bizarre on several levels.

First, why did the doctors declare her dead if she was able to later wake up (a day later!)?

Also, it may or may not be relevant, but she's 16 and was married for only a few months and was also 3 months pregnant?

Also, with the mother--I am a believer in the supernatural, that there are genuine cases of possession--but someone falling down on the ground and foaming at the mouth would prompt me to seek immediate medical attention for them, not run out to find an exorcist.

Also, the Spanish reports said the mom enlisted the help of a "pastor," but the English reports say "priest." So who was this mysterious pastor, what type of denomination did they belong to? I knew right away that the English reports calling this person a priest (thereby implying this was a Catholic priest) was inaccurate for the following reasons:

1. You can't run over to a Catholic priest in the middle of the night and say, "Come ON!!! I need an exorcist now!" First, the priest would get that person medical attention and a medical examination, because this is required by Canon Law of the Church. No priest on earth would run and jump into an exorcism like that, for safety, medical, and spiritual reasons.

2. The priest actually has to be a trained and qualified exorcist. Not all priests are designated exorcists. Jesus Christ gave the authority of exorcism to His Apostles, and the BISHOPS are the Apostles' successors. So a Bishop must appoint a priest as an exorcist to carry his authority (in and through Christ). This is why we do not have lay exorcists in the Catholic Church, and ONLY specifically appointed priests given authority by a bishop are allowed to perform exorcisms.

I know that the ritual of exorcism varies among Christian denominations, so I was curious as to what other churches' procedures and guidelines were when it comes to exorcism. If the mother had gotten the daughter immediate medical help, it's possible things could've turned out differently. I don't know whether or not the doctors were incompetent, but maybe they could've done something differently as well.

Ivonnovi

Outside of the ages, and the religious/medical aspects; I find myself wondering outloud about just how much oxygen is in a sealed concrete tomb. More than 24 hours for a panicking person? WOW

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I wish this had turned out differently.

It's not the first story (through the years) that I've heard of parents having a dream or instinctive feelings that a buried child was still alive. Parents 'know' the heartbeat of their children, no matter the distance. Doctor's need to take heed and not be so hasty.

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
I've read several cases of such, all in Latin America. I think there is a great difference between the cultures and that might seep into even RCC practices. There are some pastors who call themselves "priests" but are not ordained catholic priests and they do exorcisms. Scary. Medicine is not equal everywhere.