Debate: My mother insists heat make your hair GROW!

*ElleB

"heat stimulates the scalp!" she'll tell me when I was trying to caution her against all the blowing out she was doing to her hair...With all this new found info that I have, I have been so anxious to share, Y shouldn't I? But there is no talking to my mother...Everything I say, she either scoffs or laughs at. But then one day she said to me... "Look at how my hair is breaking!" "it's all that Protein gel you use" and she uses it daily. She kinda rolled her eyes... But that was the second time, and she kind of looked like she was hearing me that time. THe first time, she waved me off... From now on, Im not gonna talk her ear off about hair, I will just take care of mine and let the results speak for themselves. Then she will see. My momma thinks taking care of hair is "greasing the scalp" DOn't get me wrong, I love my momma to death and am not tryna put her down, but I had to vent...

Miss*Tress

Hair and nails grow faster in summer than in winter. Maybe that's where you mom gets that "heat stimulates the scalp" idea from.

goldensensation

I'm sorry. Maybe your mom will turn around.

My mom listens to everything I say... almost to the point where I have to actually DO two heads of hair. When I was younger, my hair flourished despite the fact that she didnt know jack about doing my kind of hair. Why didnt she know anything about doing my kind of hair (which was similar to her own)? Because her mama and grandmama were only used to doing type 3A or 2 hair. Her hair was always a hassle to them so to this very day, she hates her natural hair. She wants it to be super straight. But with my knowledge (learning more and more everyday) she is learning how to properly condition her hair and she doesnt force me to relax her every 3 weeks. lol. Next week will be the end of her first 8 week relaxer stretch! :grin:

Sorry for hijacking your thread. I guess I am in a rambling kind of mood.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Elle,

This will just be one of those situations where you mother becomes a believer as she sees your hair progress and thrive.

Blow drying isn't good for the hair in any way, shape, or form. Blow dryers are evil!

bluediamond0829

Thats the same situation with my Nanny(grandmother) her hair is down to her shoulders(and has been that way for years) but has never been any longer than that probably because of all the stuff that she does to her hair... im sure if i had been found LHCF a couple of years ago my hairs length wouldve been pasted her hair by now...she doesnt relax her hair and she colors(uses the color auburn all the time) her hair with i think regular dyes...my mom told her to use a rinse or use Bigen(because my mom heard its a good healthy rinse to use)...but my Nanny wont listen...so she uses a straigtening comb probably every week or week and half and colors her hair when the gray starts showing up again...i remember one time she was going thru the phase where she was getting some ugly sewins and wearing wigs done by someone tht i wldnt dare even going to...and she is one of those persons that is older and if she wears something different it just doesnt look right on her or really fit her...anyway she wanted me to take the sewin out...till this day she swears up and down that instead of cutting the thread i mixed her hair up and i cut her hair...even though that is the same area where it thin at anyway....thats why i was hesitant on doing it anyway because i know nothing can never be right with her...some people you just have to let them do and then find out...i told my mom if i were her since she probably can afford it because she is causing more damage to her hair by doing the hot comb every week and using dyes i probably would just go and go to someone on a regular basis thats good with long hair and allow them to apply the relaxer and rinse to it..and then go get a roller set and treatment every week....and whats so wrong with having a nice full set of gray hair...i mean ive seen some women in magazines with the healthiest looking gray hair on their heads...