December 2020: Hits & Misses

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Hit: Aphogee Curlific

Miss: Overdoing MSM powder and getting realistic scary dreams seems to affect geart or breathing and tension even after waking.
plus faster thinking, hyperness combined with nervousness and erratic energy like a girl in grade 10 whose mom sent 1 whole pizza box to school daily to combat her using up so many calories.

So maybe its actually a hit for losing weight

HealthyHair2020

BIG MISS
As I Am Growash
The smell of this cowash is GROSS. Worst smelling hair product ever! I wanna through it away right now but I don't like to waste my dollars. It smells like this nasty chalky medicine I had to drink as a child. Just awful. Did I get a back batch or something?
In general, I don't think as I'm a cowash person as it dries my hair out since I double cleanse.

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
New Hits

Oujoi
  1. Mango & Honey Hair Tonic
    1. very stimulating to the scalp and my hair didnt feel hard the next day after sealing with the oil
  2. Mango & Honey Black Castor oil growth drops
    1. Creamy, softening oil.
Negebanda
  1. Ayurvedic thickening anti breakage oil
    1. great creamy oil, loveeeee it, Just wish it was more oil in the bottle. I need like 16ozs of this yumminess
  2. Castor & rosemary hair pomade
    1. Great sealant and lovely to twist/braid with.

naturalyogini

Hit
Soultanicals Ginger Chebe conditioner. Left my hair moisturized and shiny.

Forced hit
Adding ACV to the Nurcreations Ambunu leave in. Perfect now as a leave in/twisting cream.

On the fence
Soultanicals Rhassoul Ambunu cowash. Honestly it smells and feels like their other butter cowashes. Nothing spectacular. My hair felt rough afterward. I'll add ACV to it and try again.

secretdiamond

Had finally solidified a regimen of beloved products, but now having to revamp to be more dermatitis friendly. Not having much luck so far. Had to re-wash my hair today and go back to my staples.

Shampoo:
Happy Cappy Shampoo - HUGE MISS - it comes out looking creamy and gentle, but wreaked havoc on my hair. Like, my hair went into shock and dried into straw, shedding immediately. I was freaked out. Never again.

Conditioner:
Silicon Mix - MISS - hated it then, still hate it. It's the mineral oil more than the cones (my hair loves cones). I had to use a clarifying shampoo to get it out and I can still smell a hint of that awful fragrance. My scalp is still itching.
Elucence moisture balancing conditioner - never tried-- sooo angry with myself for just now wanting to try this and seeing that it has been discontinued!

Oils:
MCT - MISS - nope for me. Hair hated it. My hair also hates coconut oil, so....
Squalane oil - HIT - total yes. Expensive, but found some (slightly) cheaper brands on Amazon. Love this for my face (changing my facial products, too) and my scalp/hair
Mineral Oil: big nope for me.

Leave Ins:
Chi Silk Infusion is still a hit
Don't have a creamy replacement for NTM Leave in yet

Moisturizer:
Biolage leave ins - tried both Fiberstrong and Keratindose on dry hair separately- MISSES - nope!
It's a 10 diluted on dry hair - meh. Going to revisit it on wet hair and see if it would work better as a leave in (didn't like it much in the past).
ETA: Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave In - did nothing for me on dry hair. Nothing. May try it as a leave in.

Last edited:

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
i
Had finally solidified a regimen of beloved products, but now having to revamp to be more dermatitis friendly. Not having much luck so far. Had to re-wash my hair today and go back to my staples.

Shampoo:
Happy Cappy Shampoo - HUGE MISS - it comes out looking creamy and gentle, but wreaked havoc on my hair. Like, my hair went into shock and dried into straw, shedding immediately. I was freaked out. Never again.

Conditioner:
Silicon Mix - MISS - hated it then, still hate it. It's the mineral oil more than the cones (my hair loves cones). I had to use a clarifying shampoo to get it out and I can still smell a hint of that awful fragrance. My scalp is still itching.
Elucence moisture balancing conditioner - never tried-- sooo angry with myself for just now wanting to try this and seeing that it has been discontinued!

Oils:
MCT - MISS - nope for me. Hair hated it. My hair also hates coconut oil, so....
Squalane oil - HIT - total yes. Expensive, but found some (slightly) cheaper brands on Amazon. Love this for my face (changing my facial products, too) and my scalp/hair
Mineral Oil: big nope for me.

Leave Ins:
Chi Silk Infusion is still a hit
Don't have a creamy replacement for NTM Leave in yet

Moisturizer:
Biolage leave ins - tried both Fiberstrong and Keratindose on dry hair separately- MISSES - nope!
It's a 10 diluted on dry hair - meh. Going to revisit it on wet hair and see if it would work better as a leave in (didn't like it much in the past).
i'm in the same boat as you. this is SO helpful! squalane and MCT, neither are good for me but i just went with it because i HAD to :( aloe is good for my hair. do you like products with aloe?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Total Miss:

Silken Beauty Sleep turbans - I bought 2. Tried on the first one, it's sized for a child evidently because I was struggling to get to cover my head. I do not have a large head at all and forget getting your hair in it if you have YouTuber hair like Nap85 or Curly Proverbz.

I will buy some silk and make my own.

secretdiamond

i

i'm in the same boat as you. this is SO helpful! squalane and MCT, neither are good for me but i just went with it because i HAD to :( aloe is good for my hair. do you like products with aloe?

Glad I can help! It sucks because my hair loves all the things my scalp & skin don't. It's a 10 leave in has aloe, which is why I tried it again. I know aloe can be moisturizing, so have been looking into that as well. Just fearful with issues of it causing brittleness for some and buying the right brand that doesn't have preservatives, etc, like I've read in some comments. Coconut oil and glycerin feel great initially, but then the next day, my ends are brittle/breaking. Don't want the same with the aloe.
My hair loves castor oil (would prefer that over the squalane), but that's a big no for my scalp. I only realized last week how my scalp starts to itch like crazy when I use it. Can't also use argan oil or avocado oil (both of which my hair loves). smh

Last edited:

HealthyHair2020

Hit: CR Mint Condition Braid & Scalp Spray

This stuff is the truth. Finally found a spray li that actually moisturizes my hair. Did two shower braids the other night then sprayed it with the li and sealed with the coacoa nibs. Just took them down and it's basically a soft fluffy blow-out.
Had the same experience when I remoisturized my twists the other day. It might be because of this and not the Melanin cream or could be both...

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Glad I can help! It sucks because my hair loves all the things my scalp & skin don't. It's a 10 leave in has aloe, which is why I tried it again. I know aloe can be moisturizing, so have been looking into that as well. Just fearful with issues of it causing brittleness for some and buying the right brand that doesn't have preservatives, etc, like I've read in some comments. Coconut oil and glycerin feel great initially, but then the next day, my ends are brittle/breaking. Don't want the same with the aloe.
My hair loves castor oil (would prefer that over the squalane), but that's a big no for my scalp. I only realized last week how my scalp starts to itch like crazy when I use it. Can't also use argan oil or avocado oil. smh
Yeah.. it's awful isnt it.

I haven't found aloe without that triethawhatever preservative...if you find it plz do share the brand...

Sems it was baggying too much recently which brought back symptoms for me. Idk if it's the real thing or just sensitivity to the greenhouse effect with product in hair. Since removing baggy last night it...seems... all good. The user Nonie had suggested this to someone years ago.

I thought it was dormant n resurging...

There is a chance that this will be helpful so I wonder, could it be that having used the safe but subpar items...
then when its dry , one can then apply a diluted 'unsafe' creamier leave in that day or on subsequent days, to refresh the mid length + ends ? if one could keep hair off of face..?

mzteaze and others mentioned diy fenugreek rinse, gel or paste (Ayurvedic thread). That's probably no risk and safe.

Something else that is an option (creamier leave in)
is a skin lotion with decent ingredients, as a leave in for hair as well (since safe but good skincare is easier to find). Can layer with other liquidy or oil things like the squalane

I'm using Avene tolerance extreme for that daily (as a creamier leave in) since its squalane-based. Ingredients are good. Since it was a multi-pronged approach Aside from tea tree and nizoral De la Cruz sulphur ointment as a 10 minute mask on scalp and around nape of neck-- not just for face.. instant relief! Idk if you're doing that.m but I hope u get rid of it soon n it won't even matter about the ingredients anymore.

I know Paula Begoun hates lavender but straight lavender + tea tree as a treatment also helps better than tea tree alone. Esp for scalp...
Any medicine becomes dangerous if overused but as occasional treatment these things are fine imo. Paula Begoun rarely considers the whole picture and does make mistakes... like her review for henna was ridic

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

Just ok:
CKK cocoa clay wash. I realized that with the frequency that I cleanse I don't really need anything to remove toxins or whatever. So maybe I didn't get the wow effect because my hair didn't need the clay. I'll use up but as of now, not a repurchase.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Yeah.. it's awful isnt it.

I haven't found aloe without that triethawhatever preservative...if you find it plz do share the brand...

Sems it was baggying too much recently which brought back symptoms for me. Idk if it's the real thing or just sensitivity to the greenhouse effect with product in hair. Since removing baggy last night it...seems... all good. The user Nonie had suggested this to someone years ago.

I thought it was dormant n resurging...

There is a chance that this will be helpful so I wonder, could it be that having used the safe but subpar items...
then when its dry , one can then apply a diluted 'unsafe' creamier leave in that day or on subsequent days, to refresh the mid length + ends ? if one could keep hair off of face..?

mzteaze and others mentioned diy fenugreek rinse, gel or paste (Ayurvedic thread). That's probably no risk and safe.

Something else that is an option (creamier leave in)
is a skin lotion with decent ingredients, as a leave in for hair as well (since safe but good skincare is easier to find). Can layer with other liquidy or oil things like the squalane

I'm using Avene tolerance extreme for that daily (as a creamier leave in) since its squalane-based. Ingredients are good. Since it was a multi-pronged approach Aside from tea tree and nizoral De la Cruz sulphur ointment as a 10 minute mask on scalp and around nape of neck-- not just for face.. instant relief! Idk if you're doing that.m but I hope u get rid of it soon n it won't even matter about the ingredients anymore.

I know Paula Begoun hates lavender but straight lavender + tea tree as a treatment also helps better than tea tree alone. Esp for scalp...
Any medicine becomes dangerous if overused but as occasional treatment these things are fine imo. Paula Begoun rarely considers the whole picture and does make mistakes... like her review for henna was ridic

Try George's Aloe Vera juice. They use no preservatives at all. It's $$$ but if you consume aloe is worth it.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Continued Hits (in no particular order):
Koils By Nature Mango-Mint Detoxifying Conditioner
DIY ACV Rinse
SheScentIt Juicy Moisture Shots
The Mane Choice Carrot & Green Tea Restructurizer
Yadain Cultural Solutions
Alikay Botanicals
Steaming!
I tried to order the item from Yadain you had mentioned
(Green jamaican scalp reform treatment) but they don't ship to where I am!
:sad: