Definition of "Deep Condition"

What is a deep conditioner?

• Any conditioner left on for a long time

Votes: 124 24.0%
  • Any conditioner used with heat

Votes: 144 27.9%
  • A conditioner with home ingredients added, e.g. honey, yogurt, etc.

Votes: 46 8.9%
  • A conditioner specifically formulated for "deep conditioning"

Votes: 331 64.1%
  • Other. Please explain.

Votes: 20 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

betty-boo

You can't really tell just by the label since it depends on how the lab cut and sliced the protein. Generally though, any deep pentrating product has proteins of a smaller molecular size to help get through. Then there are lines like joico that make small molecular size one of their selling points.

To me, the real way I tell the difference in deep and regular conditioners is my hairs health over time. When I use deep conditioners on a regular basis, my hair help shows visble improvement. Regular conditioners imo just maintain things. This is why some people slack off with deep conditioning and don't really see any major harm done. They have built their baseline up and at that point, they are just maintaining it.

This is really good to know. Gymfreak, I was thinking that I had to use heat with Joico in order to deep condition.
From what you said above, it seems as though you may not need to use heat with Joico to deep condition, as it would penetrate your hair because of the small molecular protein size.

I'm finding using Joico with heat, too intense and my hair feels almost 'over-proteined'. But I don't know - I'm going to feel strange, not using heat to deep condition - as if I'm not giving my hair an adequate DC - am I ready for this new concept????
Especially as I wash only once a week. What do you think?
That completely changes my idea of what it means to DC.

I'm loving this thread! Thanks OP!

this is an interesting thread! so what i wanna know is which is better, heat under the dryer or under the steamer? i use my steamer for deep condish. should i be under my pibbs??? i know the heat sources are different so would the steamer allow the dc to penetrate better than dry heat?

I also would like to know the answer to this question please. Steamer or dryer for best deep conditioning?

drappedup

I voted for option 4. That's what I try to go by until I feel I can fully know by reading ingredients and such.

g.lo

hi all, this is a fantastic thread, but i have to admit that in a way i am now a bit confused:dazed:
can someone help me with this please!:blush:

i use joico moisture recovery balm to deep condition ( just about to finish) and yesterday i did order aubrey organics J.A.Y (conditioner) and GPB to replace my joico.
can somebody let me know if those 3 are deep conditioner or just normal conditioner? and also can they be used to cowash as well?

thanks for helping

JudithO

~~Bumping~~

Over a year later... has our impression of DC's changed? I have never found anything to work for me.. I was just about to invest in some Jessicurl WDT but reading this thread... maybe not... Are any more actual DC's working for people?

Cherokee-n-Black

~~Bumping~~

Over a year later... has our impression of DC's changed? I have never found anything to work for me.. I was just about to invest in some Jessicurl WDT but reading this thread... maybe not... Are any more actual DC's working for people?

I've been having trouble finding a DC for my natural hair. I'm going to try Curls Hair Tea. It did a fantastic job when I was transitioning, but I don't know about now. This thread is gon' have me combing the interwebz once again. :spinning:

JessieLeleB

I could never really tell if any deep conditioner worked better, it was all about the leave in moisturizer for the softness and non-breakage. I'm newly natural and it's hard to tell at this point. I cowash once a week with cheapie and deep condition once a week with conditioner labeled DC and honestly if feels the same I must do some more research on this.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
JessieLeleB said:
I could never really tell if any deep conditioner worked better, it was all about the leave in moisturizer for the softness and non-breakage. I'm newly natural and it's hard to tell at this point. I cowash once a week with cheapie and deep condition once a week with conditioner labeled DC and honestly if feels the same I must do some more research on this.

It feels the same to me too, no matter the dc. I'm just banking on the fact that the dc penetrates the hair strand so our hair is getting moisture on the inside and we can't really notice a difference on the outside.

Leave ins and moisturizers make the outside of our hair feel good and dc's benefits are on the inside. This is just my theory.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

JudithO

Im just going to go with whatver feels best on my hair. DC or not. There seems to be some benefit to leaving a water based conditioner in the hair for extended periods of time (1 hr +) so i'll just take any conditioner I like, leave it for a while and call it a day.