• Yes

Votes: 127 66.8%
  • No

Votes: 46 24.2%
  • I did but I stopped

Votes: 17 8.9%

• Total voters

tatje

Can it be used on relaxed hair? I did a search and the question was never answered. I wanted to know if it can be use, what kind or if it even matters, and how is it used? I know a lot of naturals say on wet hair but is it the same on relaxed heads? I don't brush my hair at all but would like something that can detangle it.

I also wanted to know how many people use Denman brushes?

wheezy807

What about the jilbere shower comb? I don't even use a brush on a daily basis, so i definitely wouldn't use it on wet hair. But i've saw alot of threads raving this brush. Maybe someone who has used it will chime in soon.

Kelly210

I'm a Natural 4b and have a D4. It didn't work on my hair wet or dry.

Actually no brush really seems to work on my hair, so don't let it dissuade you.

malachi74

i'm a natural and i use it wet and dry. the important part about this brush is that you use it like you would use a comb: starting from the ends of your hair strands and work your way up to detangle. I do this in small sections. For ME, once I have detangled, I can run the denman through my hair from root to tip with little to no breakage. I love my Denman4

LaReyna756

When I was researching different combs, I came accross an article that talked about Mason Pearson and Denman brushes. Oprah's stylist said that while he uses the Mason Pearson on Oprah, the Denman is superior for relaxed hair. I don't remember if he mentioned a brush #, or what magazine this was in. The article was actually sent to me in an info packet from Mason Pearson.

so so chic

I have used it on wet and dry hair. I like using it on my dry hair after I've detangled with a comb before I shampoo, to get rid of all of the shed hairs. When my hair was really tangled before, and I washed it, I tried using the Denman to help me detangle and it did not work. I prefer using it on dry hair only when I'm about to shampoo. It's really great at getting rid of the shed hairs that your comb may not get.

cheetarah1980

I have the D3 which I used to use for detangling. However as my hair got longer, I started noticing that the Denman is so good at clearing out shed hairs that it even rips out hair that hasn't shed. I haven't used it in about 5 months and my hair is grateful.

back2relaxed

I use the denman, I started using it as a natural. I use it now mostly for my edges to smooth them down and to stimulate them when I moisturize. I love it I don't think there is any other brush like it!

ajoyfuljoy

I don't get it. What's so good about the brush? I looked at a picture of it online and it just looks like a wig brush that would rip out hair. But I don't know cuz I've never used it.

Ayeshia

cheetarah1980 said:
I have the D3 which I used to use for detangling. However as my hair got longer, I started noticing that the Denman is so good at clearing out shed hairs that it even rips out hair that hasn't shed. I haven't used it in about 5 months and my hair is grateful.
Dang how hard ya'll be brushing? :confused: :lol: If your hair comes out that easily from a stroke of a brush that means it was bound to come out anyway or you're overbrushing it. A good 3-5 strokes is all I need after I detanlge with my wide tooth and that's that. I dont think Ive lost any hair that wasnt supposed to come out, that would hurt like hell.

Cichelle

Ayeshia said:
Dang how hard ya'll be brushing? :confused: :lol: If your hair comes out that easily from a stroke of a brush that means it was bound to come out anyway or you're overbrushing it. A good 3-5 strokes is all I need after I detanlge with my wide tooth and that's that. I dont think Ive lost any hair that wasnt supposed to come out, that would hurt like hell.

Yeah, I just got a Denman brush this morning, but after I read about hair being ripped out I was like: :eek:

I plan to be really gentle when I use it and only after I've already detangled with my fingers and wide tooth comb.

cheetarah1980

Ayeshia said:
LOL!! I swear I wasn't ripping the comb through my hair, scout's honor. My hair is extremely tightly coiled so the strands wrap around themselves and shed hair gets tangled with the rooted hair. The Denman brush would clear out the shed hair and take the tangled rooted hair with it. And this would be brush gently from root to tip. 3-5 strokes?!! Not for my hair.

Ayeshia

cheetarah1980 said:
LOL!! I swear I wasn't ripping the comb through my hair, scout's honor. My hair is extremely tightly coiled so the strands wrap around themselves and shed hair gets tangled with the rooted hair. The Denman brush would clear out the shed hair and take the tangled rooted hair with it. And this would be brush gently from root to tip. 3-5 strokes?!! Not for my hair.
Oh I seeee!!!! okay cuz I was like whoa nelly! :lol: yeah the denman is definitely not for tighly coiled hair that springs up in seconds. With my hair it straightens out as it gets wet under the water so Im not too prone to shrinkage tangles. Plus the conditioner and detangling before hands makes it a piece of cake. I dont know what hair type you are, because I didnt take note before I respOnded but if I was a 4b or if i had a very tight curl pattern I would avoid this brush like the plague.

cheetarah1980

Ayeshia said:
Oh I seeee!!!! okay cuz I was like whoa nelly! :lol: yeah the denman is definitely not for tighly coiled hair that springs up in seconds. With my hair it straightens out as it gets wet under the water so Im not too prone to shrinkage tangles. Plus the conditioner and detangling before hands makes it a piece of cake. I dont know what hair type you are, because I didnt take note before I respOnded but if I was a 4b or if i had a very tight curl pattern I would avoid this brush like the plague.
All the nappies over on NP were raving about the brush so I decided to give it a try. It was fine when I had 3-5 inches of hair. But once I hit 6+ inches that brush went from best friend to mortal enemy. No one warned me.
Going by my hair in my avatar, it's hard to tell that I'm a 4b. That hairdo is the result of an amazing twistout.

BrownSkin2

I have a D3 that ripped my hair out along with all the shed hairs. I detangled gently in the shower with a head full of conditioner. I have 4a/b hair, and I've only used it twice. It was my mortal enemy too. :lol: It should work well for relaxed heads.

texasqt

so so chic said:
I have used it on wet and dry hair. I like using it on my dry hair after I've detangled with a comb before I shampoo, to get rid of all of the shed hairs. When my hair was really tangled before, and I washed it, I tried using the Denman to help me detangle and it did not work. I prefer using it on dry hair only when I'm about to shampoo. It's really great at getting rid of the shed hairs that your comb may not get.

I've only used it on dry hair as described above. Since I wash twice a week, I'm using it twice a week. I have to start on the ends and work my way up to the roots. I don't brush thru my roots though, just my relaxed ends.

Last edited:

texasqt

cheetarah1980 said:

I suggest brushing from tip to root like you would if you were detangling with a shower comb. If you are starting at the roots, the tangles you are trying to detangle are getting pushed on top of other tangles.

LovelyZ

i have three of them but i only use one now, the detangling brush D-4 for roller sets. its glide through and smoothes the hair so effortlessly.