• Yes

Votes: 127 66.8%
  • No

Votes: 46 24.2%
  • I did but I stopped

Votes: 17 8.9%

• Total voters

hOnii

the first time i tried the denman, i didnt like it. i felt like it was breaking hairs, but now i love it! my answer is, if your relaxed hair is in a healthy state (no significant shedding or breakage), then yes, the denman in great!

Last edited:

VelvetRain

alundra said:
Where can I find a denman? I want to try it out...

Sallys. Ulta,. Most beauty supply places have them. I had one but since gave it away as I felt it was tearing my hair. Of course I was extra gentle with it but it was a little harsh. I just use a boar brush to tame any flyaways. It's gentle.

PrettyBrownEyes

I've been using my Denman brush lately to wrap my hair. I don't know what number it is it doesn't say and I no longer have the packaging.

ETA: I looked on line, mine's is a D3.

Last edited:

ElegantExotic

Well according to the Mason Pearson site (http://www.masonpearson.com/choose.html) , it seems as if Nylon bristles are meant for thicker hair. I have a Denman (which have nylon bristles), and I feel it rips out my fine hair. I am going to try one of the natural boar hair Mason Pearson brushes and see how that fares on my hair.

The chart from Mason Pearson:

In general :

Pure Bristle brushes: For fine to normal hair, fine long hair.
The models: Large Extra, Small Extra, Handy Bristle and Pocket Bristle.
The Sensitive models are for very fine or thinning hair.
The Child’s model for children aged between 3 and 6 years.

Bristle & Nylon Mixture brushes: For normal and short thick hair.
The models: Popular, Junior, Handy Bristle & Nylon and Pocket Bristle & Nylon.

All Nylon brushes: For very thick hair.
The models: Universal, Handy Nylon (Detangler) and Pocket Nylon.

Long Hair:
In general, the longer the hair the bigger the brush required. However, if a person is more comfortable with a smaller brush, it may be necessary to use a smaller mixture model instead of a larger pure bristle one.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Well according to the Mason Pearson site (http://www.masonpearson.com/choose.html) , it seems as if Nylon bristles are meant for thicker hair. I have a Denman (which have nylon bristles), and I feel it rips out my fine hair. I am going to try one of the natural boar hair Mason Pearson brushes and see how that fares on my hair.

The chart from Mason Pearson:

Would you come back with a review or PM me? I don't own a brush and haven't for YEARS...but I think I would like to have one for ocassional use. I would use the one for fine and thinning hair (Sensitive).

I used to have a Denman brush years ago that I used for blowdrying, but I threw it away. Come to think of it, it didn't rip my hair out...

vevster

I use a Denman and a Mason Pearson brush. I prefer the Denman. However, I do use a brush. I know there are folks that do not.

Casarela

I love my denman ....I HATEEEEEEEEEE DETANGLING....but with my fingers while im in the shower and than my denman and condish OHHWEE!!! FEELS GOOD!

The Princess

I used it on dry hair, thats straight, to undo my wrap, it gave me alot of body. I haven't dried it on wet hair for detangle. I just stick to my wide tooth comb. I have enough problems with on set of teeth, can't imagine the denman brush. OUCH to my head.

Muffinz05

I have a denman brush and love it. I use it whenever I co-wash and it makes detangling very easy. Whenever I use the brush, it just glides through my hair and makes my curls plop.

turnergirl

I use my denman at least once every two months because it is the only thing that can grab all of the shed hair before my head becomes knot central. I don't use it too often because it makes my hair super curly and shrinkage gets out of control.

Sepia_Rose

I love my denman brushes, the get the sheds out and they feel so good on my scalp. I have the D3 and I especially love the D1431. It has super widely spaced bristles so it's great for detangling the newgrowth when I stretch my relaxers.

Marand13

I used my denman/goody when I was relaxed and while natural. It smoothes out the hair very well and detangling is effortless. Ponytails are perfect. Love it!

Healthb4Length

I recently got a Denman D31 free flow volumizing brush. I must say that I love it way more than my D4 model. It says on the package that it's ideal for thick and Afro hair. I used it today on dry hair and I barely lost any hair. It helped me to detangle my hair, especially the course middle section. I had a nice bun because it cut down on the bulk without ripping my hair out. This brush is also good for blow drying, y'all should check out this brush, especially type 4a/b hair, it's perfect for us.

http://www.folica.com/DENMAN_Volumizi_d407.html

BTW I could not find this specific style of Denman Brushes in Sallys nor could I find any knockoff versions so I HAD to order it online.

wannabelong

I'm relaxed and I use a Denman. I had my sew-in taken out yesterday and I used the Denman after I detangled with a wide tooth comb. It got all the shed hair out and it did not feel like it was ripping my hair out. I really like this brush. It's a keeper for me.

LushLox

I've stopped using brushes. (Relaxed hair). I used to have a Denman, but seeing as it's not really advisable to use a comb that much, I've decided to stop using brushes.

Juliagizzle

I just started using the D3...very pleased. I'm natural though with 2b-3b/c ? (confused yes lol)
But I feel its works well on wet/damp hair when distributing conditioners and product. It glides right through. It also smoothes nicely. I like it a litte better than a boar bristles brush(which shouldnt be used on wet hair at all it causes breakage for me:nono:). I'm going to use it in place of boar bristle brush for general maintainence. I'm only use boar bristle for smoothing into pony tails now.