Depressed. Why isn't my hair growing?

chevere62

Hi Ladies

I am in need of assistance. I have been on the hair boards for a while and thought that I had a pretty good handle on my hair. Apparently not. I just straightened my hair for the first time since the beginning of March and was left with a harsh reality. I think my hair is getting shorter/not growing at all. I have no idea what I am doing wrong so I am here looking for whatever advice that can be given.

Regimen:
DC'ing once a week with a mixture of oil (evoo/grapeseed), plain full fat yogurt (I use this about half the time but have not been lately), lekair cholesterol, lustrasilk cholesterol, and honey. If I am not able to do this once a week due to my protective style I will do it as soon as it take the protective style out.

Henna once a month. I also shampoo my hair once a month or every month and a half with either a mix of amla and shikakai powders (haven't used these powders in the past couple months) or Keracare hydrating detangling shampoo depending on how much buildup I have.

Detangle my soaking wet hair covered in conditioner in the shower. I generally use whatever is around and I need to use up which can be paul mitchell, suave, john freida to cowash and detangle. To detangle I use my Denman D-4. I found that the wider rows are much easier on my natural 3c/4a hair.

After cowashing I add either Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight/Hello Hydration or Garnier Fructis Length and Strength. I put my hair into two braids or banded ponytails and pin it up over the next 24 hours to dry. After it dries I either put my hair in a bun or twist my hair. These styles will last between 1-2 weeks depending on upkeep. I sleep with a satin scarf every night but I have a satin pillow case for when I am too lazy. I protective style 80% of the time. I moisturize and seal every night or every other night with shea butter and either evoo or grapeseed oil. After one or two weeks I will DC, cowash, detangle, and start over.

My hair is always very soft but sometimes I noticed breakage when I am handling it. I am natural 3c in the front and 4a in the back. The back generally has more issues with growth than the front.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why my hair growth is stunted and why I am facing breakage? I feel like I am doing everything right but it just is not working. Every suggestion is wanted and will be considered.

EDIT: Post 39 has a list of all of the products that I own and 41 has my comparison photos.

Last edited:

ms.blue

You probably not retaining any the growth. Also, it seems that you use more protein or protein-like products. Also I don't think shea butter is a moisturizer more like a sealant. I think you need to look at your products you are using.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
^I agree. You don't have much moisture in your regimen; your products are protein heavy and you use moisturizing conditioners infrequently. I think you should start to deep condition with the conditioners you are cowashing with.

Nonie

The one thing I see missing from your regimen is dusting. Hair grows old and wears and breaks starting with the oldest parts (your ends). They break off from tiny pieces to big ones that you see...and when they break on their own, they break in a rugged way that continues to tear in ways that will cost you retention. You could save yourself this loss by regularly cutting off the oldest part of your hair with a pair of sharp scissors that put the stop to the rugged tearing.

Also I don't know why you mix products to make your own DC. Why not use one DC product as it is? Not saying it can't work, but I usually think that people who should be mixing their own products are those who've seen success from doing so. I feel pretty comfortable with my hair and regimen but even I don't trust that I can provide what my hair needs by combining things that are sold to be used as they are--not even if the lady with the longest hair on the forum dictated the recipe for me. I just feel hair uniquely has needs that other hair doesn't have. I think when hair products are made by scientists, they take a lot of that into consideration and try to make products that cover all bases. So I personally feel "safer" using products already researched and reviewed by thousands and found to be beneficial just as they are rather than guessing that a recipe I saw somewhere will provide all I need. Do you follow your protein DCs with a moisturizing DC? If not, that could also be part of your problem.

Lastly, I think brushes are the debil. I would use a comb daily than a brush once a year.

lamaria211

How often do you take pics sometimes we think our hair is not growing when it really is ur probably just a slow grower I hope your not comparing yourself to others because that can hurt more than help most times.hth

greenandchic

chevere62 - I agree with everyone else: you don't have enough moisture in your routine. I had to come to terms with the fact that I have to moisturize my hair daily - not every other day. I either use a leave-in or a silicone-free rinse out conditioner that I can use as a leave-in. I then seal over the moisturized hair, or at least the ends.

Shea butter solo (unblended) made my hair hard. Turns out many people cant use it without blending it with other oils or at all even.

Conditioners and leave-ins with silicons makes my hair hard eventually and can break off easily.

Denman brushes tears my hair to pieces. I retired mine, like 10 years ago after the initial Denman craze.

I too would love to see photos.

The one thing I see missing from your regimen is dusting. Hair grows old and wears and breaks starting with the oldest parts (your ends). They break off from tiny pieces to big ones that you see...and when they break on their own, they break in a rugged way that continues to tear in ways that will cost you retention. You could save yourself this loss by regularly cutting off the oldest part of your hair with a pair of sharp scissors that put the stop to the rugged tearing.

Also I don't know why you mix products to make your own DC. Why not use one DC product as it is? Not saying it can't work, but I usually think that people who should be mixing their own products are those who've seen success from doing so. I feel pretty comfortable with my hair and regimen but even I don't trust that I can provide what my hair needs by combining things that are sold to be used as they are--not even if the lady with the longest hair on the forum dictated the recipe for me. I just feel hair uniquely has needs that other hair doesn't have. I think when hair products are made by scientists, they take a lot of that into consideration and try to make products that cover all bases. So I personally feel "safer" using products already researched and reviewed by thousands and found to be beneficial just as they are rather than guessing that a recipe I saw somewhere will provide all I need. Do you follow your protein DCs with a moisturizing DC? If not, that could also be part of your problem.

Lastly, I think brushes are the debil. I would use a comb daily than a brush once a year.

Nonie - I don't understand; why do you have a problem with mixing DC? I noticed when I started mixing my own, I have a much better product than what I can buy for the price. DCs purchased as/is are pretty expensive, especially when you have a lot of hair and use it weekly.

candy626

My recommendation after seeing your regimen, is to reduce the amount of products you are using, alternate between moisture/protein products, and try not use too many oils or leave ins. Too many products can weigh hair down and can make it weak and brittle.

Also, i recommend really trying to get a regular shampoo/clarifying schedule. Once a month seems like a long time to not shampoo your scalp. I know the whole low manipulation rarely shampoo thing is popular on this board and others but i dint think its good for most peoples hair types or for overall scalp health. Maintaining good scalp health is another part of the hair growth puzzle women can sometimes overlook.

Also consider taking multivitamins, they really helped my growth get back on track after it seemed to really slow down last year

candy626

Nonie said:

I agree. There are so many great affordable products out there. If you work on simplifying your regimen, you will probably save yourself time and money by purchasing just a few good staple products.

I really suggest eliminating the mixing and getting back to the basics.

lamaria211

greenandchic said:
chevere62 - I agree with everyone else: you don't have enough moisture in your routine. I had to come to terms with the fact that I have to moisturize my hair daily - not every other day. I either use a leave-in or a silicone-free rinse out conditioner that I can use as a leave-in. I then seal over the moisturized hair, or at least the ends.

Shea butter solo (unblended) made my hair hard. Turns out many people cant use it without blending it with other oils or at all even.

Conditioners and leave-ins with silicons makes my hair hard eventually and can break off easily.

Denman brushes tears my hair to pieces. I retired mine, like 10 years ago after the initial Denman craze.

Nonie - I don't understand; why do you have a problem with mixing DC? I noticed when I started mixing my own, I have a much better product than what I can buy for the price. DCs purchased as/is are pretty expensive, especially when you have a lot of hair and use it weekly.

Non silicone conditioners?? List a few for me please.tia

Nonie

greenandchic;16041077@[URL="http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=1333" said:
Nonie[/URL] - I don't understand; why do you have a problem with mixing DC? I noticed when I started mixing my own, I have a much better product than what I can buy for the price. DCs purchased as/is are pretty expensive, especially when you have a lot of hair and use it weekly.

@greenandchic And that's just the key. YOU end up with a better product and you know this because you see your hair thrive from it. OP doesn't know if she has a better product or she wouldn't be at a loss on why her hair isn't growing. Oils make my hair hard and if I added those to a protein, my hair would be prone to breaking.

In another discussion, it was clear that what makes people send so much money isn't because their hair needs so much of the product. I think most people are way too heavy handed. If folks parted their hair and applied conditioner the way relaxer is applied, they'd use a lot less. OP is buying two cholesterol products that could be used on their own and give sufficient conditioning.

As others have said, she's engaging in overkill and that may not have been the case if she were not mixing products. Not everyone can be a successful mixologist and most people jump into mixing products w/o really KNOWING their hair. It didn't take me more than a few experiments to realize that it takes some skill and a lot of trial and error to figure it out. Would have cost me way more hair and time and product than I have spent in years. Did I mention that I buy shampoos and conditioners once in a blue moon and use them at least twice a week? I find I spend way less money not mixing stuff than if I were mixing. To mix products, you have to buy more of them so how is that saving you money?

candy626 put it concisely, going back to basics may be all OP needs to do. Then once she has a regimen that is getting her results she wants, she can be a daredevil and try out new things, but not until she knows what it is that makes her hair happy.

Last edited:

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I agree with the others, you use way too many products but....

:needpics:

We need pics to determine if it's truly no retention or impatience.

greenandchic

@greenandchic And that's just the key. YOU end up with a better product and you know this because you see your hair thrive from it. OP doesn't know if she has a better product or she wouldn't be at a loss on why her hair isn't growing. Oils make my hair hard and if I added those to a protein, my hair would be prone to breaking.

In another discussion, it was clear that what makes people send so much money isn't because their hair needs so much of the product. I think most people are way too heavy handed. If folks parted their hair and applied conditioner the way relaxer is applied, they'd use a lot less. OP is buying two cholesterol products that could be used on their own and give sufficient conditioning.

As others have said, she's engaging in overkill and that may not have been the case if she were not mixing products. Not everyone can be a successful mixologist and most people jump into mixing products w/o really KNOWING their hair. It didn't take me more than a few experiments to realize that it takes some skill and a lot of trial and error to figure it out. Would have cost me way more hair and time and product than I have spent in years. Did I mention that I buy shampoos and conditioners once in a blue moon and use them at least twice a week? I find I spend way less money not mixing stuff than if I were mixing. To mix products, you have to buy more of them so how is that saving you money?

@candy626 put it concisely, going back to basics may be all OP needs to do. Then once she has a regimen that is getting her results she wants, she can be a daredevil and try out new things, but not until she knows what it is that makes her hair happy.

To answer the mixing question, a DC that my hair like costs, like $20 for a few uses. I can buy a huge bottle of Tresemme Naturals at Grocery Outlet, honey and a few oils for far less and get a similar result. I guess it depends on what you're exactly using and mixing too.

The Cholesterol may be protein overkill for the OP anyway.

I don't see how you would use less conditioner applying the way you stated. That's actually how I apply it because anything less would lead to tangles, insufficient conditioning and breakage. I had to cut a lock out of my hair a few months ago due to not conditioning and in tern, not detangling properly. I guess my goal is not to use the least amount of conditioner at the risk of my hair.

Then again, I don't consider myself a product junkie so I don't buy unnecessary products, or products I won't use completely.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
My DD is natural and when I started caring for her hair myself (as oppose to sending her for braids) we were left with badly damaged APL hair that had to be cut to SL. Reasons why:

Way too many products
Mixing products
THE Denman brush

I now only use a few products for her hair:
STEAM PREPOO:
On dry hair with AO GPB (once a month)

SHAMPOO:
Giovanni smooth as silk

CLARIFY:
Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat

Moisturizing DC mix:
Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm
Alternating: Safflower and EVOO

PROTEIN RECONSTRUCTOR:
Aphogee 2-minute (every few months)

LEAVE-IN:
Giovanni Direct (verdict is not out yet)
I may switch to Darcy's Botanicals

MOISTURIZER:
Qhemets Biologics BRBC, Aethiopika and HBTSG (not all at the same time).

SEALING OIL:
Organic Coconut

I only use ceramide oil in DC.

That dang on Denman brush Is the DEVIL. That thing ripped her hair out! I tried it on my relaxed hair and said H&ll naw!!

I say trim away the damaged ends and incorporate moisture based products into your regimen.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Nonie said:

I agree with Nonie 100%.

nikolite

It depends on your hair density and strand type. Do you have thick, medium, or thin hair? Are your strands fine, medium, or coarse? I assume since you said it feels soft it is fine.

I have fine hair, and so detangling while it is soaking wet is a huge no-no. Its not strong enough to withstand that, so I detangle while slightly damp.

Also fine hair is more likely to be weighed down by too many thick conditioners and need to be clarified or cleaned more often than coarse hair. Protein is good, but you might be putting too much on it on a regular basis which may cause it to break off more. So the co-washing, deep conditioning, nightly sealing, etc. might be too much. I moisturize and seal just twice a week and don't deep condition anymore unless its time for my protein mix. If you have coarse strands (as in thick in diameter), then all that would be great and you wouldn't want to use too much protein but up the moisture by baggying at night, etc. Fine hair needs more protein and coarse hair more moisture, but both need to be perfectly balanced for your particular hair to minimize breakage.

And the Denman is the devil. Try detangling with your fingers or a wide-tooth comb. I usually use my fingers and then every other session I use the comb.

Nonie

I don't see how you would use less conditioner applying the way you stated. That's actually how I apply it because anything less would lead to tangles, insufficient conditioning and breakage. I had to cut a lock out of my hair a few months ago due to not conditioning and in tern, not detangling properly. I guess my goal is not to use the least amount of conditioner at the risk of my hair.

Well, the only thing I can tell you is I use less than 2 oz of conditioner on dry hair (not wet, when you'd need even less). There was once a discussion on this and people with even shorter hair than me were using like 8 oz of conditioner or half bottles. :nono:

Here's my post with photos in that thread that shows you how much I ended up using (I estimated 2 oz but only used some of it, so it looked like 1.5 oz or less) on a full head of APL hair w/o any water to help spread the product or "make it more". My hair was very wet with conditioner when I was done and if you squeezed it, conditioner oozed out. I am very meticulous with conditioner but a bottle of AO GPB lasts me many uses. Allandra has waist length hair and she too is able to stretch a bottle of GPB over several uses. I don't know how she applies it, but I bet my bottom dollar she makes sure every strand is well coated. So I guess it's all in technique.

If I didn't part my hair to apply, I'd miss so many hairs in the thick bush I have so I'd find myself having to pour out more to reapply and reapply. I think that's what most people do. I suggested this method to someone and she PMed me back to say she can't believe how much less she used parting to apply. So I don't know how you find the opposite to be true @greenandchic. But you're pretty heavy handed IIRC. In another discussion you said you only get 4-5 uses of GPB bottle :eek: while I get about 8-11 uses DCing on dry as well.

Evolving78

that mixing stuff can get some folks into trouble. especially if you are no chemist. a product should be able to do what is says on it's own. if you are trying to turn a product into something more moisturizing than it is, then you need to find something better (generally speaking) if it is an instant conditioner, no amount of oils, butters, etc.. is going to turn it into a dc. the base of the product wasn't designed for that. it is just suppose to aid in detangling, moisturize/coat for light protection. but i understand about wanting to stretch a product.

greenandchic

Well, the only thing I can tell you is I use less than 2 oz of conditioner on dry hair (not wet, when you'd need even less). There was once a discussion on this and people with even shorter hair than me were using like 8 oz of conditioner or half bottles. :nono:

Here's my post with photos in that thread that shows you how much I ended up using (I estimated 2 oz but only used some of it, so it looked like 1.5 oz or less) on a full head of APL hair w/o any water to help spread the product or "make it more". My hair was very wet with conditioner when I was done and if you squeezed it, conditioner oozed out. I am very meticulous with conditioner but a bottle of AO GPB lasts me many uses. Allandra has waist length hair and she too is able to stretch a bottle of GPB over several uses. I don't know how she applies it, but I bet my bottom dollar she makes sure every strand is well coated. So I guess it's all in technique.

If I didn't part my hair to apply, I'd miss so many hairs in the thick bush I have so I'd find myself having to pour out more to reapply and reapply. I think that's what most people do. I suggested this method to someone and she PMed me back to say she can't believe how much less she used parting to apply. So I don't know how you find the opposite to be true @greenandchic. But you're pretty heavy handed IIRC. In another discussion you said you only get 4-5 uses of GPB bottle :eek: while I get about 8-11 uses DCing on dry as well.

I haven't measured, but I use about 3-4 pumps of Tresemme Naturals on each of the 4 sections I use when I cowash. That's probably a little more than 2 oz there, but I have to measure it to be sure. When I started cowashing more often, I find I need less than I originally did because my hair more moisturized, conditioned and not as tangled as it was when I was going a week+ without washing my hair. When I DC after a henna treatment, I do use about 4 oz while parting wet hair however.

I think I can get more out of one bottle of GPB these days than when I was waiting until my hair was dehydrated complete with buildup.

greenandchic

that mixing stuff can get some folks into trouble. especially if you are no chemist. a product should be able to do what is says on it's own. if you are trying to turn a product into something more moisturizing than it is, then you need to find something better (generally speaking) if it is an instant conditioner, no amount of oils, butters, etc.. is going to turn it into a dc. the base of the product wasn't designed for that. it is just suppose to aid in detangling, moisturize/coat for light protection. but i understand about wanting to stretch a product.

Like I said in a previous post, I guess it depends on what you're mixing it with. Folks use use banking soda, ACV, all kinds of acids, etc are taking a risk. I just mix butters, oils, honey and maybe another conditioner.

I guess I just haven't found a off the shelf product that offers DC, slip for a decent price. LOL

India*32

Well, a woman who is natural lives by less product and her hair is mbl. You can find her on YouTube SistaWRealhair. Her hair is beautiful. She also takes time to reply to her comments.

Enjoy

India

Nonie

Like I said in a previous post, I guess it depends on what you're mixing it with. Folks use use banking soda, ACV, all kinds of acids, etc are taking a risk. I just mix butters, oils, honey and maybe another conditioner.

I guess I just haven't found a off the shelf product that offers DC, slip for a decent price. LOL

I think what @shortdub78 is saying is many products are stable as they are and they are made so that their absorption or performance is at its best when used as directed. Sometimes adding other things can get in the way of the product working well.

For instane, some of us have already found out that using a moisturizer then a heat protectant before flat ironing instead of using the heat protectant alone leads to reversion and sometimes even heat damage because the moisturizer interferes with the performance of the protectant and its adhesion to hair to provide the protection it is supposed to. Some heat protectants are supposed to be "moisturizing" so no need to be adding other stuff that don't behave well under heat. An example of this is John Frieda Heat Defeat which:

Works with heat tools; conditions & strengthens for up to 24 hours
ThermaGuard™ Complex; protects against damage.

Defend straight styles to the end. This protective spray straightens strands for up to 24 hours; helps block humidity and rehydrates.
(Source)

Similarly, if a product is supposed to penetrate strands easily and then you add an oil that coats hair, you create a situation where the product ends up being suspending in the oil and sitting on the hair instead of being absorbed. I have never had any problems following directions of a product exactly as it says. As shortdub says, if a product isn't giving you what you want, then maybe you need another.

@India*32 thanks for the introduction to this KISS sistah--a woman after my own heart. Going to watch now...

Last edited:

greenandchic

I think what @shortdub is saying is many products are stable as they are and they are made so that their absorption or performance is at its best when used as directed. Sometimes adding other things can get in the way of the product working well.

For instane, some of us have already found out that using a moisturizer then a heat protectant before flat ironing instead of using the heat protectant alone leads to reversion and sometimes even heat damage because the moisturizer interferes with the performance of the protectant and its adhesion to hair to provide the protection it is supposed to. Some heat protectants are supposed to be "moisturizing" so no need to be adding other stuff that don't behave well under heat. An example of this is John Frieda Heat Defeat which:

(Source)

Similarly, if a product is supposed to penetrate strands easily and then you add an oil that coats hair, you create a situation where the products ends up being suspending in the oil and sitting on the hair instead of being absorbed. I have never had any problems following directions of a product exactly as it says. As shortdub says, if it a product isn't giving you what you want, then maybe you need another.

@India*32 thanks for the introduction to this KISS sistah--a woman after my own heart.

I guess its a matter of finding the right product in that case, and after all these years, I have yet to find one (at least a DC). I think I went a bit far in my KISS challenge over the past several years and my hair paid a huge price. I guess I needed to realize what one person can get away with may not always work for me.

lovegymnasts

Regimen:
DC'ing: lekair cholesterol, lustrasilk cholesterol
(are not deep conditioners; suggest you use a good moisturizing deep conditioner and you can add some olive oil and/or coconut oil or some other oil)

I moisturize and seal every night or every other night with shea butter and either evoo or grapeseed oil.
(there is no moisture here; all sealants; need some water/water based product)

My hair is always very soft but sometimes I noticed breakage when I am handling it. I am natural 3c in the front and 4a in the back. The back generally has more issues with growth than the front.
(be uber patient and gentle when handling and detangling and you probably have thirsty tresses)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why my hair growth is stunted and why I am facing breakage? I feel like I am doing everything right but it just is not working. Every suggestion is wanted and will be considered.
(you need moisture, moisture, moisture)

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
Op, too much protein. If you use lekair or other protein based condishes, follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioner. Keep it simple and dont overdo with products. Keep ends moisturized and clipped regularly.

chevere62

Okay so I am going to try to answer everyone's questions right now. I have pictures but I am on my way on a date so I really do not have time to post them. I will post them as soon as I get back.

You don't have much moisture in your regimen; your products are protein heavy and you use moisturizing conditioners infrequently. I think you should start to deep condition with the conditioners you are cowashing with.

@NappyNelle Okay I believe this is probably where I am going wrong. I believe the only products that I use that are moisturizing are the ones that I cowash with. Can you offer any suggestions for more moisturizing DC or daily moisturizers?

The one thing I see missing from your regimen is dusting. Do you follow your protein DCs with a moisturizing DC? If not, that could also be part of your problem.

Nonie Hi Nonie! I know you are the queen of dusting and as soon as I saw your name I just knew that was what you were going to say. I believe that I trim fairly often. I usually get 2-4 professional trims in the year so between every 3-6 months. If I do indeed wait 6 months (I am a frequent traveler and am generally not home for very long) I will dust myself inbetween. The last time I had a professional trim was in November/December I believe. I just trimmed about a month ago. Yes I always use moisturizing DC (cholesterol) after protein.

The reason why I mix my own things into my DC is to make it a little more moisturizing and to stretch it. I have A LOT of hair. It is very thick. When I apply my DC I can use probably 6-8 oz of conditioner every single time. If I use any less then my hair is not fully covered. I stopped using the yogurt a while ago and have just been using the cholesterol. The only things I generally mix in is honey and oil now. I didn't think those ingredients were too bad and I have indeed noticed that they make a huge difference in the way that my hair comes out after.

How often do you take pics sometimes we think our hair is not growing when it really is ur probably just a slow grower

lamaria211 I actually take hair pictures embarrassingly often. I have a pretty decent basis for comparison when it comes to pictures. I used to not take them as often and I could never tell if my hair was growing or not so over the past couple of years I have definitely upped the amount of pictures I take.

I lost too much hair with the denman so i dont use it anymore.

aa9746 I heard this is true but the denman is wonderful with my hair. The difference I found was between the D-3 and the D-4. The D-4 has much wider rows than the other. The one with the smaller rows ripped my hair out something terrible. I stopped using that 3 years ago. Combs do not detangle my hair the same and I generally have very little hair in the brush when I finish. I do not believe this is an issue. Also, while we are talking about hair tools I only use seamless combs

@chevere62 - I agree with everyone else: you don't have enough moisture in your routine. I had to come to terms with the fact that I have to moisturize my hair daily - not every other day. I either use a leave-in or a silicone-free rinse out conditioner that I can use as a leave-in. I then seal over the moisturized hair, or at least the ends.

greenandchic The reason you mention why you mix your own DC is exactly why I mix my own as well. I am glad that someone else understands. Perhaps I should start using a leave-in/water in combination with an oil/butter to seal. I generally moisturize everyday or every other day.

I never use shea butter by itself. I might not have mentioned this in the OP but I usually put evoo on my hair first and then put the shea butter on. I thought that the evoo was moisturizing since it can penetrate the hair shaft but perhaps I was wrong.

I have the Tresemme naturals conditioner that I have used fairly recently and I did indeed like it. It made my hair soft just as the HEHH does.

My recommendation after seeing your regimen, is to reduce the amount of products you are using, alternate between moisture/protein products, and try not use too many oils or leave ins. Too many products can weigh hair down and can make it weak and brittle.

Also, i recommend really trying to get a regular shampoo/clarifying schedule. Once a month seems like a long time to not shampoo your scalp. I know the whole low manipulation rarely shampoo thing is popular on this board and others but i dint think its good for most peoples hair types or for overall scalp health. Maintaining good scalp health is another part of the hair growth puzzle women can sometimes overlook.

Also consider taking multivitamins, they really helped my growth get back on track after it seemed to really slow down last year

candy626 I probably need to start taking multivitamins. Thanks for this suggestion.

Well I used to shampoo my hair every week or every two weeks but my hair seriously cannot handle that. It is very stripping to my hair no matter what shampoo I use. If I can stretch it to at minimum a month my hair does a lot better. Since I am only cowashing my hair every week or every two weeks I am not generally loading my hair down with products anyway. I use a leave-in right after I get out of the shower and then only use the oils/butters after that.

Your routine seems a lil complicated to me. R u relaxed or natural?

AFashionSlave I am natural. I BC'ed 3 years ago. I mentioned in my OP that I am a 3c/4a mix.

Tresemme Naturals Conditioners
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner (there is a great recipe by Lola using this conditioner)

There are others that I mainly rinse out such as AO HSR and TJ TTT, but those above are the ones I like to leave in the most.

greenandchic I will have to check out this recipe later. I have about 1/2 a bottle left of this conditioner and want to use it up.

I agree with the others, you use way too many products but....

:needpics:

We need pics to determine if it's truly no retention or impatience.

topnotch1010 I promise I will post pictures as soon as I get back. I am so sorry I cannot post them now.

To answer the mixing question, a DC that my hair like costs, like $20 for a few uses. I can buy a huge bottle of Tresemme Naturals at Grocery Outlet, honey and a few oils for far less and get a similar result. I guess it depends on what you're exactly using and mixing too.

The Cholesterol may be protein overkill for the OP anyway.

Then again, I don't consider myself a product junkie so I don't buy unnecessary products, or products I won't use completely.

greenandchic Wait wait wait...I thought that the cholesterol is NOT protein and more moisturizing? Perhaps this is exactly what is making my hair break. It always feels very soft after I use it but who knows.

It depends on your hair density and strand type. Do you have thick, medium, or thin hair? Are your strands fine, medium, or coarse? I assume since you said it feels soft it is fine.

I have fine hair, and so detangling while it is soaking wet is a huge no-no. Its not strong enough to withstand that, so I detangle while slightly damp.

Also fine hair is more likely to be weighed down by too many thick conditioners and need to be clarified or cleaned more often than coarse hair. Protein is good, but you might be putting too much on it on a regular basis which may cause it to break off more. So the co-washing, deep conditioning, nightly sealing, etc. might be too much. I moisturize and seal just twice a week and don't deep condition anymore unless its time for my protein mix. If you have coarse strands (as in thick in diameter), then all that would be great and you wouldn't want to use too much protein but up the moisture by baggying at night, etc. Fine hair needs more protein and coarse hair more moisture, but both need to be perfectly balanced for your particular hair to minimize breakage.

And the Denman is the devil. Try detangling with your fingers or a wide-tooth comb. I usually use my fingers and then every other session I use the comb.

nikolite I have thick hair with course strands. So I generally need heavier products that will weigh my hair down because it literally will laugh at anything light. I tried detangling with my fingers but trust me that does not work AT ALL. I will later be fighting with my hair. Did I mention that I get about 50%-70% shrinkage? I think that is the main reason why finger detangling does not work for me.

Last edited:

chevere62

I also have a serious product stash. I will post names of products that I have when I get back. Perhaps you ladies can suggest some products to use from my stash to get my hair back on track.