Depressed. Why isn't my hair growing?

virtuenow

chevere62 I have a lot of that cholestorol and had to stopped using it. I have thick, coarse strands and found that it just doesn't penetrate, soften or moisturize my hair. I used to mix in honey and olive and a cond'r (Aussie or Trader Joes). That conditioner isn't strong enough to cut through this hair. Once I started w/Aubrey Organcis HSR & GPB deep conditioners, I noticed an immediate difference in my hairs moisture levels & softness. Whatever cond'r you choose you should notice right away whether its working.

lamaria211

My 4b natural hair loves queen helen cholesterol;) but I only use it like once a month cause I have about 6895328896 conditiones:)

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
chevere62 I also noticed that you've used the Tresseme naturals and liked it; I would use that conditioner to replace the cholesterol ones. Once I see the product stash you have, I'm sure we'll be able to pick moisture-based deep conditioners and a moisturizer for daily use without having to go shopping.

wyldcurlz

My DD is natural and when I started caring for her hair myself (as oppose to sending her for braids) we were left with badly damaged APL hair that had to be cut to SL. Reasons why:

Way too many products
Mixing products
THE Denman brush

I now only use a few products for her hair:
STEAM PREPOO:
On dry hair with AO GPB (once a month)

SHAMPOO:
Giovanni smooth as silk

CLARIFY:
Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat

Moisturizing DC mix:
Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm
Alternating: Safflower and EVOO

PROTEIN RECONSTRUCTOR:
Aphogee 2-minute (every few months)

LEAVE-IN:
Giovanni Direct (verdict is not out yet)
I may switch to Darcy's Botanicals

MOISTURIZER:
Qhemets Biologics BRBC, Aethiopika and HBTSG (not all at the same time).

SEALING OIL:
Organic Coconut

I only use ceramide oil in DC.

That dang on Denman brush Is the DEVIL. That thing ripped her hair out! I tried it on my relaxed hair and said H&ll naw!!

I say trim away the damaged ends and incorporate moisture based products into your regimen.

LOVE THIS PRODUCT LIST & how often you're using them KiWiStyle - sooo helpful! i think OP will find this helpful too. KiWi uses some good, quality products - and I'm partial to Matrix Biolage Balm and (an oldie, but goodie) Elucence Moisture Balancing Condish.

OP: more moisture, reduce your protein, seal with coconut oil (or whatever oil you like.) Definitely, CLEANSE your scalp more frequently! You might want to consider a makeUNDER on your current regimen/products. And with any products you try: Give them 6-8 weeks, see how your hair is responding and before making changes or becoming a mixologist.

Lastly, hair growth is never the issue, hair retention is! Once you figure out why you aren't retaining, you're good.

PS: i agree with other posters, it may be getting longer and you're just not noticing it (happens to me all the time!)

curls 4u2nv

I am confused as to why people are saying that she is using too much protein? If her hair is always very soft, that sounds to me like an over-moisturized issue, not a too much protein issue:perplexed. And I googled the igredients to the lekair cholesterol and lustrasilk one too...

Lekair= Purified Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol & PEG 40, Hydrogenated Castor Oil & Stearalkonium Choloride, Mineral oil, Cholesterol, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Citric Acid, Aloe, Jojoba Oil, Vitamin E, Acetate, Vitamin A & D, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Tetrasodium, EDTA, FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Red #4, Fragrance.

Lustrasilk(with shea butter because idk which one she uses)=water(aqua), stearamidopryl dimethylamine, stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, shea butter, mango seed butter, cholesterol, soybean oil, safflower oil, wheat germ oil, aloe vera extrect, fragrance, vitamin e, methylparaben, propylparaben, phosphoric acid, sodium chloride, dmdm hydantation, disodium edta, yellow #5, yellow #6.

Highlighted in red is the only protein I see:perplexed. Its sounds to me like her strands may be weak from overmoisturized. OP maybe you should try a light protein and see if that helps the breakage when you comb it. Also shea butter does not equal moisture. When you rub shea butter into your hands it becomes oil. Therefore, you are double sealing your hair with no moisture inbetween. Moisturizing products contain either water or something liquidy in it (like aloe vera juice).

southerncitygirl

chevere62

everyone has given you sound advice....the trimming/dusting, more moisture, too many products, etc. i think you should start moisturizing and sealing your hair 2-4 times a week....claudies revitalizer makes excellent products with a good price point and has generous sales often. the products from her line that i would suggest are the balancing moisturizers like the balancing lotion, balancing ends insurance or the balancing quinoa coffee moisturizer. i would then seal the length of my hair with the oil blend you use.

i hate cholesterol and think that so many companies make better conditioners though they may cost a little more...giovanni, aubrey's alter ego,alfa parf, redken, and tigi are just a few i can think of off the top of my head. i would ditch putting the garnier or hh in your hair after washing cause they could be causing serious build-up. i would also stop using the ayurvedic powders. trimming your ends once every 3-4 months is a great idea as Nonie stated it could be interfering with your retention. i would just focus on washing, dc-ing and moisturizing-sealing throughout the week. i would also ditch the co-washing for some its too much manipulation. make sure you wash your hair in sections and detangle with a wide tooth shower comb, i only use a denman on my flat-ironed hair cause it pulls hair out or causes breakage for me. i forgot to add that db leave-in, komaza shea butter lotion, oyin hair dew, and komaza coconut curl lotion all work well as leave-in condish and detanglers after washing.

here's my stash:
giovanni 50-50 poo
aubreys gbp and hsr condtioner
db leave-in
ecostyler clear gel

claudies creams: isha, murmuru acai, quinoa-coffee balancing
oil mix to seal: evoo, evco, sapote

i wash once a week and try to trim every 3-4 months when i go to the salon for a flat iron.

virtuenow

*(steps out of lurkdom*)
lots of good answers

lindsaywhat lurkdom? Come on out and post your reggie for us. And by the way, have you posted in the ponytail thread yet b/c you need to? Chevere, you have received some of the best advice. So post your products and get to experimenting and post back w/your successes ;)

chevere62

Okay guys so I am back with the goods. I am going to start with a product list of all that I have. I must note that although I have a lot of products I have never used a lot of them. Many of them were gifts from friends (I never let them throw away conditioner), my mothers hair stylist and my aunt (who is also a hair stylist), and others who knows how I got them.

Conditioners:
Scruples Renewal Color Retention Conditioner
Paul Mitchell Extra Body Daily Rinse
Tresemme Clean and Natural Gentle Hydration Conditioner
Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream
Renpure Organics Amazing Miracle Deep Penetrating Reconstructor
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration
LeKair Cholesterol Plus
Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Daily Treatment
Garnier Fructis Leave-In Color Shield
Biolage Matrix Ultra Hydrating Balm
Graham Webb Silk Protein Leave In Conditioner
Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner
Garnier Fructis Oil Repair
Redken Body Full Conditioner
Kinky Curly Knot Today
Goldwell Definition Intensive Treatment
WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner
Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight
Tresemme Naturals
SheScentIt Banna Brulee Moisturizing Deep Conditioner

Shampoos:
Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Daily Shampoo
KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo
Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo
KeraCare 1st Lather Shampoo

Oils:
Coconut Oil
Evening Primrose Oil
EVOO
Grapeseed Oil
Amla Oil
Jojoba Oil
Apricot Oil

Butters:
Raw Shea Butter
Mango Butter
Seyani Hair Butter with Kiwi and Grapeseed Oils
Kiwi Kiss Hair Butter with Kiwi and Macadamia Oils
Mango Butter

Other:
Paul Mitchell Flexible Style Sculpting Foam
Shea Moisture Organic Coconut/Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
Flax Seed Gel
Giovanni Shine of the Times Finishing Hair Mist
Arrojo detangling foam
Fantasia IC Styling Gel
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Goddess Curls by Curls
SheScentIt Tahitian Vanilla and Coconut Leave In Conditioner
Giovanni Vitapro Fusion Protective Moisture Leave-In Treatment
Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum
Reve Moisturizer Birthday Cake
Marie Dean Coconut Lime Repair Mask
Marie Dean Whipped Olive and Tucuma Hair Butter

curls 4u2nv

I still stand by doing a light protein treatment to see if it helps with breakage(although I am the minority:look:). I really cannot find an adequate source of protein in your regimen. Protein helps to strengthen the hair and prevent breakage when it is being manipulated and brushed. If you look at your fallen hair from when you comb it and it doesnt have a white bulb, then its breaking. And seeing that you are not complaining of dry hair, then I can only assume that your hair is moisturized. If your hair is very soft, there is a such thing as hair being TOO soft.

Last edited:

chevere62

Now for the pictures. I have several that I have taken over this year to show my stunted growth.

These pictures are from January

These pictures are from March

These pictures are from today. This is not my freshly flat ironed hair like the others because I have been in the heat/humidity for the past few days but you should be able to see where it stretches to.

HanaKuroi

aa9746 said:
I lost too much hair with the denman so i dont use it anymore.

The DENMAN is evil. I lost so much hair and it was thinned out due to the tangle teaser and then that summer of THE DENMAN. I removed some rows and had different models. They are all bad fir my hair!

sckri23

You NEED to moisturize everyday maybe twice cause your natural. I'm relaxed and I had trouble with moisturizers drying out my hair especially my ng so I finally got fed up and went for the natural products to try a natural-hair-focused moisturizer.

Dark and lovely softening moisturizer finally gave me the moisture I needed plus it made combing my ng easier. Maybe it will work for you

*~SCKRI23~* via LHCF app

HanaKuroi

Op do you wash/condition your hair loose or in braids/twists? I can't have my hair loose when cowashing/dcing/washing. If I did I would have to detangle too often which would lead to breakage.

I am a slatherer of conditioner. I am guilty. I don't use silicones so I use more conditioner than necessary to detangle with in the shower with a jibere comb when necessary. My preference.

The denman can cause midshaft splits. I had that wider denman too and it was modified and didn't realize I had midshaft splits until that part of the hair started growing out. I also loved to rake that brush down to my scalp when my hair had condtioner in it. It took me a several months to see the damage. I used it on my son's 3b hair and daughter's 4a hair as well. No no.

Tresemme naturals, yes to carrots, Giovanni for cowashing. Vo5 moisture milk/silk sensations for rinse outs. Ao hsr, Ao rm, Ao Gpb ( plain), silk dreams vanilla silk for dc.

Op I have to Moisturize and seal almost every day. I use either oyin hair dew sealed with jbco or oyin burnt sugar pomade. Qhemet Biologics brbc or amla olive oil something something sealed with jbco. On the ground I use the curls line for kids ( red velvet)then seal.

I also seal with grapeseed, pumpkin seed oil or hazelnut oil.

I also refresh with water and seal. I need to step up my water game ad drink more.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I think what @shortdub78 is saying is many products are stable as they are and they are made so that their absorption or performance is at its best when used as directed. Sometimes adding other things can get in the way of the product working well.

For instane, some of us have already found out that using a moisturizer then a heat protectant before flat ironing instead of using the heat protectant alone leads to reversion and sometimes even heat damage because the moisturizer interferes with the performance of the protectant and its adhesion to hair to provide the protection it is supposed to. Some heat protectants are supposed to be "moisturizing" so no need to be adding other stuff that don't behave well under heat. An example of this is John Frieda Heat Defeat which:

(Source)

Similarly, if a product is supposed to penetrate strands easily and then you add an oil that coats hair, you create a situation where the product ends up being suspending in the oil and sitting on the hair instead of being absorbed. I have never had any problems following directions of a product exactly as it says. As shortdub says, if a product isn't giving you what you want, then maybe you need another.

@India*32 thanks for the introduction to this KISS sistah--a woman after my own heart. Going to watch now...

This bolded statement makes perfect sense to me. I'm going to stop adding oils to my DC and find another way to incorporate my ceramide oils.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
LOVE THIS PRODUCT LIST & how often you're using them KiWiStyle - sooo helpful! i think OP will find this helpful too. KiWi uses some good, quality products - and I'm partial to Matrix Biolage Balm and (an oldie, but goodie) Elucence Moisture Balancing Condish.

OP: more moisture, reduce your protein, seal with coconut oil (or whatever oil you like.) Definitely, CLEANSE your scalp more frequently! You might want to consider a makeUNDER on your current regimen/products. And with any products you try: Give them 6-8 weeks, see how your hair is responding and before making changes or becoming a mixologist.

Lastly, hair growth is never the issue, hair retention is! Once you figure out why you aren't retaining, you're good.
PS: i agree with other posters, it may be getting longer and you're just not noticing it (happens to me all the time!)

wyldcurlz,

Thank you. I shampoo & DC her hair once every two weeks and Moisturize and seal twice a day. I mostly spritz her hair with water then seal with coconut oil to avoid product build up. I recently had her hair cut, stopped using the denman brush (9 row), and simplified products. Now hair loss is very minimal (normal) on wash days and practically non-existing during styling. I'm now extremely gentle with her hair and use my fingers a lot when detangling to twist. When I style in pony puffs, I don't comb to the ends at all, instead I moisten the hair and use my with tooth comb to gently stretch the hair. Her 4a/b hair is super soft, I'm falling in love with it, before I didn't want to be bothered with it.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I see growth. I think you need to flat iron your hair and see if you can have someone to take the pics for you. I do see growth though.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Regimen:
DC'ing once a week with a mixture of oil (evoo/grapeseed), plain full fat yogurt (I use this about half the time but have not been lately), lekair cholesterol, lustrasilk cholesterol, and honey. If I am not able to do this once a week due to my protective style I will do it as soon as it take the protective style out.

Henna once a month.

you might be in protein overload... which can cause major breakage... especially if you're protein sensitive like me... it happened to me a few years ago:nono:... between all the breakage and then a much need trim/cut due to the breakage, i went from bordering mbl back to apl:ohwell:... you not only want to cut down the protein treatment to every 11/2 - 2 months... also try to simplify your routine... it looks like you're doing an awful lot... i didn't read it all because the 1st few lines caught my eye w/all the heavy protein...

demlew

chevere62 - I'm curious about your henna usage. You stated you henna once a month. For some, (myself included) henna has protein-like qualities. What's your henna recipe/regimen? Also, do you henna for conditioning and/or color?

chevere62

Op do you wash/condition your hair loose or in braids/twists? I can't have my hair loose when cowashing/dcing/washing. If I did I would have to detangle too often which would lead to breakage.

I am a slatherer of conditioner. I am guilty. I don't use silicones so I use more conditioner than necessary to detangle with in the shower with a jibere comb when necessary. My preference.

The denman can cause midshaft splits. I had that wider denman too and it was modified and didn't realize I had midshaft splits until that part of the hair started growing out. I also loved to rake that brush down to my scalp when my hair had condtioner in it. It took me a several months to see the damage. I used it on my son's 3b hair and daughter's 4a hair as well. No no.

Tresemme naturals, yes to carrots, Giovanni for cowashing. Vo5 moisture milk/silk sensations for rinse outs. Ao hsr, Ao rm, Ao Gpb ( plain), silk dreams vanilla silk for dc.

Op I have to Moisturize and seal almost every day. I use either oyin hair dew sealed with jbco or oyin burnt sugar pomade. Qhemet Biologics brbc or amla olive oil something something sealed with jbco. On the ground I use the curls line for kids ( red velvet)then seal.

I also seal with grapeseed, pumpkin seed oil or hazelnut oil.

I also refresh with water and seal. I need to step up my water game ad drink more.

HanaKuroi I usually wash my hair in sections. Generally what I do is apply my DC to dry hair and let it sit for a while in two braided sections wrapped in two buns. By the time I get to the shower my hair is so soft and easy to detangle that I can usually do it in four sections (two in front and 2 in back). I also use lots and lots of conditioner. I keep adding more until it is literally dripping from my hair. That is probably what makes my hair so easy to detangle.

I have been moisturizing and sealing twice a day and am going to continue this for a while. I already notice a difference in my hair :grin:

I see growth. I think you need to flat iron your hair and see if you can have someone to take the pics for you. I do see growth though.

TopNotch So do you think I am being impatient or is it that most of the growth has broken off? I figured it should have grown 3 inches from the 1st of January and I might have gotten 1 inch tops. Please correct me if I am wrong and not seeing it correctly. I know that can easily happen with hair growth.

you might be in protein overload... which can cause major breakage... especially if you're protein sensitive like me... it happened to me a few years ago:nono:... between all the breakage and then a much need trim/cut due to the breakage, i went from bordering mbl back to apl:ohwell:... you not only want to cut down the protein treatment to every 11/2 - 2 months... also try to simplify your routine... it looks like you're doing an awful lot... i didn't read it all because the 1st few lines caught my eye w/all the heavy protein...

Jas123 This is exactly what I am starting to believe. I am going to lay off all protein for 2 months and see how my hair thrives. I might have to phase out the cholesterol conditioners all together and use one of the many other moisturizing conditioners that I have instead.

@chevere62 - I'm curious about your henna usage. You stated you henna once a month. For some, (myself included) henna has protein-like qualities. What's your henna recipe/regimen? Also, do you henna for conditioning and/or color?

demlew Usually when I henna I add the yogurt to the henna (I started only using the yogurt this way instead of in my DC a couple months ago) with honey, and lots of evoo. After I follow with the moisturizing (or so I thought) DC of the cholesterol.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
fyi... the protein overload for me came from henna alone... as a previous
poster stated henna has protein like qualities:yep:... well, i'd been using henna for years as my only protein type conditioner about every 6-8 weeks, w/no problems ... but then i decided to bump it up to 1x weekly:nono:, BIGGEST mistake ever... henna is great, but you don't need to do it too often, i still use it, and i agree w/you cutting out the cholesterol conditioners completely... @ least for now and just watch & listen to your hair...

greenandchic

@chevere62 - Agreeing with the above here. When I use henna on a regular basis, I generally don't need protein at all. If I go more than two months w/o henna, I use AO GPB. I tend to have more control with moisturizing protein conditioner or "reconstructive" treatments which has a set amount of protein it it (left on for the appropriate amount of time), than food based protein.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
TopNotch So do you think I am being impatient or is it that most of the growth has broken off? I figured it should have grown 3 inches from the 1st of January and I might have gotten 1 inch tops. Please correct me if I am wrong and not seeing it correctly. I know that can easily happen with hair growth.

It depends. Hair tends to grow a little slower durning the cooler months. Your hair doesn't look damaged, and that's typically what you'll automatically notice if someone is having breakage. It will be uneven. Your ends look fine so I would just chalk it up to the cooler months/slower growth. Hopefully your hair will pick up during the summer months.

Jewell

The main problem I see is a blatant OVERUSE OF PROTEIN. Using Two cholesterol products at once is way too much. Also, be careful washing with powders.

Many natural heads are protein-sensitive, and the powders (incl. Henna as a treatment) often strengthen the hair in the manner protein conditioner does. Using both cholesterol, an Ayurvedic powder to wash, AND applying something like GF Length n' Strength or GF Fortifying Cond as a leave in cheapie is only overloading your hair with protein, which can cause breakage.

Most naturals, unlike relaxed or texlaxed ladies find they need MUCH LESS protein because relaxed/chemically processed hair is inherently weaker than virgin natural hair. Chemical relaxers thin the hair strand, hence the need for regular moderate to strong protein treatments to keep breakage at bay.

Your regimen should only include one mild to moderate protein item per wash, whether that is a leave in cheapie conditioner like Garnier Fructis, the DC or cholesterol, or the powder for cleansing. Definitely not all 3, and I have 3c/4a hair, AND use many of the products you mentioned, just in stark moderation and one at a time.

Mostly this type of hair needs moisture and only mild protein. Heavy protein should only be used in situations of unrelenting breakage, or to strengthen hair after a chemical process like permanent hair color, highlights, or a relaxer/texturizer.

Hth!

P.S. Im one of those ppl who take my own advice before offering it to.others; my hair is waist length n has no breakage issues. I have a very simple regimen of a detangling, moisturizing shampoo once per month, co-washing weekly with moisture/light protein cheapies like HE HH, GF L&S, and use a different cheapie opposite of what I cowashed out to apply as a leave-in on damp hair, sealed with a natural oil (like avocado or grapeseed).

I only air dry, detangle in shower while wet with conditioner using a seamless wide tooth shower comb, and use a microfiber towel or old (unused) cloth baby diaper to soak up water. Then, I style using ouchless elastics for a bun or a clip to wear my hair in a twist.

I mostly protective style (98% of the time), and NEVER go to bed without my hair tied with a satin scarf. Simplicity in regimens is often key for gaining length. I find the women with the longest hair here and in the real world have the SIMPLEST regimens and inexpensive products.

Listen to your hair, treat it gently without overuse of protein products, and see what happens. Hair does grow slower at certain times of yr due to the resting phase of hair follicles, diet changes, lack of humidity, activity level, etc. But if you're seeing NO PROGRESS in growth after several months, it is a retention problem. Hair is breaking off faster than extra length can be noticed.

Last edited:

chevere62

Thanks everyone for the help. I greatly appreciate all of the support and suggestions from all of you lovely ladies. I am going to take the many suggestions from this thread and listen to my hair until September to see if there has been progress. After that I will come back with an update. Hopefully I can retain all or most of the growth I get! :grin:

What I will do:

• Get rid of the cholesterol.
  • Ger rid of the henna and all powders.
  • Moisturize and seal twice a day with a water based moisturizer and an oil/butter combination to seal- I have been using the Reve Moisturizer Birthday Cake and Marie Dean Whipped Olive and Tucuma Hair Butter. I really enjoy this combination. I will use it until it runs out and follow up with the many other moisturizers/sealants in my product stash.
  • Continue to wash with KeraCare once a month or more depending.
  • Trim ends to start fresh.
  • DC every week or every two weeks (depending on protective style) with a moisturizing deep conditioner. I am going to start off with the SheScentIt Banna Brulee Moisturizing Deep Conditioner and probably use the Biolage Matrix Ultra Hydrating Balm. I should have enough of those to last me during the summer.
  • Do not use any protein for at least 2 months. This includes yogurt.
  • Continue to protective style/ use little direct heat.

I also forgot to mention that I generally only fully detangle my hair every 2 weeks. I finger detangle my dry hair during those two weeks.