Dermatologist Appointment today....Derma-Smooth prescription

growinghealthyhair

Hey!! I think I may have said in a thread or two that I had a dermatologist appointment today!! Well it went very well. At first i was nervous , because I didn't think the doctor would know how to help me at all. But he was very helpful!!

What I wanted to ask, have any of you ladies recieved the steroid shots?? I got those today. They didn't hurt that bad. And i'm hoping for results!! I have severe damage to my hair because of coloring/relaxers. Hopefully this will help!! Also he perscribed a scalp oil called Derma-Smoothe any familiar??

Will I be able to use this oil with my other oil (JBCO, Sulfur Oil mix with other oils in it). Or should I stick to JUST what the dr gave me?

You should ask your doctor that to be sure that other oils wouldn't caust any adverse side effects or bad interactions with the prescription for Derma-Smoothe that he gave you. Double check with him to be safe.

Derma-Smoothe\FS Topical Oil contains fluocinolone acetonide 0.01%. Nonmedicinal ingredients: refined peanut oil NF, light mineral oil, oleth-2, isopropyl myristate, isopropyl alcohol, cream fragrance, and balsam pine fragrance.

Those are the ingredients. I just really kinda hate to stop using my sulfur mix and my castor oil and other oils. (this has been working for my hair greatly)

But i don't want to mess my hair up either.

I also got the injections.

I did ask him. He didn't say I could not use it. But he said I wouldn't need to use any other oils. Thanks anyways.

Hmm, considering that this is a something you've never used before and specially prescribed by your derm, I'd say you should just try the dermasmooth first by itself for awhile...who knows, maybe you may find no need for your other oils :)

Only thing I can't seal with this oil. It's not truly an oil, it's a steriod that is 'in' oil i suppose. So I don't know what i'm going to do about sealing. :-(

How about just using the derma smooth on your scalp as prescribed. I'm sure you can seal your ends with other oils but reserve the derma smooth only for scalp

Derma-Smoothe\FS Topical Oil contains fluocinolone acetonide 0.01%. Nonmedicinal ingredients: refined peanut oil NF, light mineral oil, oleth-2, isopropyl myristate, isopropyl alcohol, cream fragrance, and balsam pine fragrance.

Those are the ingredients. I just really kinda hate to stop using my sulfur mix and my castor oil and other oils. (this has been working for my hair greatly)

growinghealthyhair, i just got this fri but i'm still going to use my oils. I also receive shampoo which has help with the itchy.

Only thing I can't seal with this oil. It's not truly an oil, it's a steriod that is 'in' oil i suppose. So I don't know what i'm going to do about sealing. :-(

I was also prescribed a steroid in oil because my entire body breaks out in hives when my body temp rises too quickly :nono: Let me know how it works for you. I only uses it a couple of times though.

I did ask him. He didn't say I could not use it. But he said I wouldn't need to use any other oils. Thanks anyways.

In that case, I would just go with what the derm told you.

You want to know if this stuff will work, the only real way to find that out, is to use the oil that was rx, with no other oil, to compare the results with the rx oil, to past results that you have had with other oils.

I personally wouldn't mix them......JMHO.... let us know how it works out :D

growinghealthyhair I've verified that this is the same thing that I have. Let me know how it works for you.

I also use Derma Smooth...I was prescribed for scalp infection/ seborrhic (spelling?) dermatitis. It helped me get rid of dandruff build up on my scalp.

I've used Derma-Smoothe before for psoriasis- it works well. I stopped using it because it was getting too oily and I started using Fluocinonide solution.
The Derma-Smoothe worked better for me though. I doubt you'll want to use all those other oils with it- besides getting greasy the other oils might dilute the medicine imo.
Maybe just use some of the nonRX oil on your ends? Good luck whatever you decide.

I was prescribed this as well and I don't have any type of scalp dermatitis either so I'm not sure if this is just something being prescribed by default these days. After I did some research, I decided not to use it at the moment (its just sitting under my counter).

I think this is a medical issue mainly so any questions you have should be answered by the dermatologist's office. You paid him good money ($200 plus, counting your insurance contribution and co-pay) so he should handle any side effect questions that you have. Don't hesitate to call your doctor for any confusion that needs to be cleared up. I think any advice you get here will be from other people's experience which isn't necessarily yours. We can give you beauty advice, but if the guy went to school for 8 years and residency, let him earn the money you paid him.

What the derm told me is that he was prescribing it for itching associated with dandruff, which I don't have. I didnt mention this because I didn't want to take the focus away from what the thread was really about, but my derm experience was super short with a doctor who was unwilling to take the time to listen and really understand the hair issues I have been having. I filled the prescription anyway in the event that I do have an itching flareup.

What the derm told me is that he was prescribing it for itching associated with dandruff, which I don't have. I didnt mention this because I didn't want to take the focus away from what the thread was really about, but my derm experience was super short with a doctor who was unwilling to take the time to listen and really understand the hair issues I have been having. I filled the prescription anyway in the event that I do have an itching flareup.
I see, I'm sorry this happened to you at the derm's office. I hate that. You might wanna switch derms in the future, and check the ratings online of another one before you go.

Back