Describe your ideal salon

macherieamour

Hi Ladies,

Just wondering if you can describe your ideal salon for me!

Right now, Im preparing (going to hair school and getting an MBA) to open a salon completely tailored to the customer- no attitude, no long wait, and based on education and healthy hair maintenance. My goal is to fuse different techniques from different cultures. For example, combining Dominican roller-setting techniques, the sense of community at African-American salons, the middle eastern usage of natural oils, the creativity of braiding and twisting seen in African salons, and the full-service spa aspect of white salons (though there are Dominican and African-American salons that do this as well) and putting it all under one roof.

But, considering its ALL about you, please give me your idea of an ideal salon! Please be as candid and honest as possible- this whole project is designed to make the process of getting you hair done as pleasurable as possible. Whatever you want, I'll find a way to incorporate it into my business plan! So, what would you like to see?? What do you hate? What do you love? Thanks in advance and look forward to hopefully serving you in the future :D

sweetpeadst

I am very interested in this as well being that I am starting Cosmetology school October 4, 2005!!! I had the same thoughts in opening my own day spa with the feel you just described!!

DiamondStar

Yay! This is great :grin: . I don't go to the salons often because of the following reasons:

1)I hate when a stylist complains about my hair and will say "wow, you really need a perm". That irks me! If I wanted a touch-up, I would schedule an appointment or if I wanted her opinion, I would ask.

2) I love a nice and comfortable waiting area seperated from where the hair stylist washes/blowdries/and styles my hair. There is nothing more invasive then getting my wig tossed and having ten or so eyes staring at me, looking pissed because it's taking too long :(.

3) I often know what type of style I want after I get my hair washed. Don't try to tell me that it won't look right or insist I get something else done. That makes me mad!

4) Please don't eat while you are styling my hair...that is rude :mad:

5) If I ask a stylist a hair-related question, the last thing I want to hear is an "I don't know"...I would love recommendations, advice, etc.

That's all I can think of for now!

bluediamond0829

I would like somewhere that is very comfortable to come into...the atmosphere isnt where the women are stuck up or acting as though they dont want you come to the salon...something warm and friendly...i would like it to be a salon like you mentioned where there is a mixture of professionalism and cultures...a salon where i can come and everyone is very skilled in what they do from the Domincan blow outs to relaxing, roller setting, braiding and weaving..nothing to expensive(because im on a budget) but thats bascially it...its kind of hard to find salons like this...i guess because alot of people allow their personal life and attitudes to come to work with them...and then they lose their professionalism...if i was skilled in doing hair...i would only choose to do it part-time...because that would give a person a life outside of working in the salon...i just actually visited a salon yesterday that i past everyday..im right now in the process of looking for a good professional hair braider...but everyone is so very expensive...so i went in...and no one said anything...i think they should say as soon as you walk in hi may i help you...but i met the girl and the girl was very friendly she even asked me what my name was..which i dont get that too often when just trying to get a base price or estimate on different hair dos...but the only problem was..it felt so dang on hot in that salon...i was sweating i rather go outside and stand than be inside the salon..and for me to sit in a salon for maybe 4 to 8 hours(getting braids/cornrows done) this would be very uncomfortable...so she may not be seeing me..

macherieamour

Awesome! This is great! Im going to print out and keep these suggestions! These are some of the very ideas I want my salon built around. I have had a relaxer since I was 11 (im now 24) and I have been to tons of salons- I too hate when people eat while doing my hair. Thats disgusting! And then roll their eyes when you tell them to stop. And I hate people working really slowly while Im still sitting in the waiting room. UGH! I hate when people comb too roughly and then pull the hair out of the comb and tell me Im shedding :mad: Anywhoo, this isn't about me! Back to you guys...

bluediamond0829

DiamondStar said:
Yay! This is great :grin: . I don't go to the salons often because of the following reasons:

1)I hate when a stylist complains about my hair and will say "wow, you really need a perm". That irks me! If I wanted a touch-up, I would schedule an appointment or if I wanted her opinion, I would ask.

2) I love a nice and comfortable waiting area seperated from where the hair stylist washes/blowdries/and styles my hair. There is nothing more invasive then getting my wig tossed and having ten or so eyes staring at me, looking pissed because it's taking too long :(.

3) I often know what type of style I want after I get my hair washed. Don't try to tell me that it won't look right or insist I get something else done. That makes me mad!

4) Please don't eat while you are styling my hair...that is rude :mad:

5) If I ask a stylist a hair-related question, the last thing I want to hear is an "I don't know"...I would love recommendations, advice, etc.

That's all I can think of for now!

okay girl i feel you on these....just to add i hate when people take long long breaks when doing my hair...and then again about the people staring as im getting my hair done...yes i love compliments...but it just doesnot feel right..i hate for people to tell me my hair is damaged...if you tell me that then please give me some suggestions on what i need to do...if i need to cut it in a bob or if i need to come back every week for treatments or even what i need to do at home to care for it... tell me something...i hate when stylist set up appointments with you and you might be the first appointment but they are late(maybe 5 to 15 minutes but not a entire 30 minutes to an hour)...i hate when they take personal phone calls and start cursing out someone on the other end of the phone or if they do take personal phone calls they last for too long(5 to 15 minutes is fine but not the remaining of the time that you are doing my hair)...Let me tell a little something about one of the ladies i went to one time...and i did enjoy going to her..she was the only hairdresser in the salon..and she was doing a sew in for me...okay she is married and has a daughter...she was doing her mother in laws hair when i came in...and then as soon as her mother in law left...the phone calls started coming in from a man(not her hubsand) so she had one man that came in to see her and visited her for like 15 to 20 minutes and they talked privately...then she came back and started on my hair...then the next thing you know you had someone at the back door..another man...and she talked to him for about 15 to 20 minutes...by the time i was finished i wasnt a happy customer because my sew in didnt look like it did when she did it before and it looked jacked up..

CurliDiva

My ideal hair salon...

.....would be in a beautiful location, be decorated and be well ventilated to avoid fume overkill

......would have stylists who looked and acted professional (no rude behavior) and stylish (no jacked up hair or clothes)

... would honor appointments, and keep track of time (less than 2 hours)

... would do consultations and keep files on each client to track service

.... would offer drinks and light refreshments (at least water with lemon)

....would work on all types of hair (natural, relaxed, texted or pressed) and create unqiue style for each client (no cookie cutter clones)

.....would offer resonable prices or discount for repeat, long term clients

.... would offer training classes about how to care for your hair at home between visits

:D I'm getting too excited for the workplace!:D

ryanshope

My ideal salon would have a stylist that genuinely knows about hair not just how to cut and perm it..
It would have a daycare for ladies that can't get a sitter(nothing worse than lil JoJo running up/down my legs)
It would have head phones for the dryers so that you could listen to the radio/tv similar to the sets in a gym
There would be a bss inside that carried products to care for my hair..
It would be clean, neat and the stylists would be professionals..
If I had to wait an excessive of 30-1hr I should get a discount on my services...
They would offer hair care "packages" to encourage return visits..
They would be open 7 days a week...For those ladies that have schedules that don't allow weekend hair appts..
They would respect your hair desires and be honest about what they can really do..
They would not treat 4Bs like the plague of the earth :) ..teasing..

tenderheaded

macherieamour said:
Hi Ladies,

Just wondering if you can describe your ideal salon for me!

Right now, Im preparing (going to hair school and getting an MBA) to open a salon completely tailored to the customer- no attitude, no long wait, and based on education and healthy hair maintenance. My goal is to fuse different techniques from different cultures. For example, combining Dominican roller-setting techniques, the sense of community at African-American salons, the middle eastern usage of natural oils, the creativity of braiding and twisting seen in African salons, and the full-service spa aspect of white salons (though there are Dominican and African-American salons that do this as well) and putting it all under one roof.

But, considering its ALL about you, please give me your idea of an ideal salon! Please be as candid and honest as possible- this whole project is designed to make the process of getting you hair done as pleasurable as possible. Whatever you want, I'll find a way to incorporate it into my business plan! So, what would you like to see?? What do you hate? What do you love? Thanks in advance and look forward to hopefully serving you in the future :D

My ideal salon would have:

1: A stylist with hair that looks good. (Is this too much to ask from a pro?)
2: Clean, confy waiting area, separated from work area.
3: The prices clearly posted. I hate surprises of this kind!
4: Stylists who listen and make recommendations based on ME, not everyone else.
5: Stylists who tell me the brands of products being used.
6: KNOWLEDEABLE ABOUT HAIR!!!!!

SUPER SWEET

CurliDiva said:
My ideal hair salon...

.....would be in a beautiful location, be decorated and be well ventilated to avoid fume overkill

......would have stylists who looked and acted professional (no rude behavior) and stylish (no jacked up hair or clothes)

... would honor appointments, and keep track of time (less than 2 hours)

... would do consultations and keep files on each client to track service

.... would offer drinks and light refreshments (at least water with lemon)

....would work on all types of hair (natural, relaxed, texted or pressed) and create unqiue style for each client (no cookie cutter clones)

.....would offer resonable prices or discount for repeat, long term clients

.... would offer training classes about how to care for your hair at home between visits

:D I'm getting too excited for the workplace!:D

Agreed. It's pretty close to my current salon.

Divine Inspiration

This is a great question.. :D

I have more salon horror stories than a little bit so I'll add my humble opinion. In addition, I'm buying space in a few years to open a salon of my own so these are some things I've thought through...hope they help...

1. Customer service is first & foremost above all else.
2. It's 2005; a credit card processing machine is a MUST. All this business about not taking checks and cards is ridiculous. Charge a fee for returned checks and call it a day.
3. I like one stop shops although they are EXTREMELY rare for women of color...well, maybe they're not rare, but in the ones I've seen, the hair stylist is wonderful, but the manicurist or esthetician is not so great. So offering a full line of spa & hair care services that were outstanding would be a great advantage. Clients will likely be loyal simply because of the convenience & quality.
4. Eating should be done in kichens ONLY. Nobody wants BBQ sauce in their hair, and it's rude to eat in front of people anyway. I plan to provide employees with a nice kitchen/patio area where they can enjoy their meals.
5. Stylists should not be using the company phone for personal calls nor should they be handling personal calls/business while at work. PERIOD. If they were working a 9-5 at a corporation, they wouldn't govern themselves that way. The same standard of professionalism should be maintained.
6. A client shouldn't feel like setting an appointment is an ordeal. It's important that stylists are sensitive to scheduling needs and provide clients with flexible options. Clients tend to be very loyal to stylists who accomodate their special needs. Double booking and overbooking should be a big no-no. It's a sign that the stylist doesn't respect the client's time and is more concerned with making money be doing as many heads as possible instead of maintaining the quality of his/her work.
7. Consultations can make a huge difference in client retention rates. When clients feel listened to, they are likely to share concerns & preferences that may otherwise go unmentioned. A simple 5 minute conversation about products, heat, styling preferences & lifestyle can dramatically change the tone of an appointment and put the client at ease.
8. There should be NO solicitation in the shop! I can't stand when I'm sitting under the dryer and someone rolls in selling jewelry/CDs/DVDs/Louis Vuitton bags/Zanebooks/clothes/candles/hair care products/newspapers/perfume/cell phone accessories. I don't appreciate having to listen to a sales pitch when I'm trying to enjoy what should be a relaxing & pampering time. These people are not allowed to roll up in Sally's or Burger King so they shouldn't be allowed in the salon either.
9. I LOVED it when I had a stylist who tracked every single thing she did to my hair. She noted the condition of my hair at the beginning and end of the service and she noted what products she used. Before she even started, she would ask how my hair did the previous week and whether I thought we should make changes. I loved her to death just for being so detail-oriented. There was never any guessing about when we last did a relaxer or protein treatment. She had files for every client. It was wonderful. Interestingly enough, my hair was at optimal health while I was going to her.
10. Discounts should be offered for referrals. I stopped going to a stylist because I sent 5 new, regular clients to her and she never once thanked me. These were people needin prom hair styles either. These were weekly rollerset type clients, and she didn't bother to offer a free trim or shampoo/style or even $5 off of a service. It really disturbed me that she didn't understand how vital it was to her survival that she get referrals because if she was to maintain that business, her marketing expenses could be slashed in half.
11. There should NEVER be animals or kids in the salon unless receiving services. A special area with toys, books, and a TV/DVD combo can be set up for kids to play while parents are being serviced. I once had a stylist who brought her 3 month old to work with her and had to stop doing my hair to feed the baby!!! :mad: This is *not* acceptable. I went to another salon where this lady (not the one doing my hair) brought her dog to work and tied him to her chair. What if the client doesn't like dogs? Californians LOVE their dogs, but it's rude to assume that can everyone can appreciate a stylist bringing Fluffy to work.
12. The stylist who kept track of things also sold me the products she used on my hair. I loved this because I could never find the stuff she used, and I appreciated her making the effort to make sure I could care for my hair at home. She taught me how to wrap it properly, and she instructed me on how to use the products so I could get the results she got. It was great!
13. Stylists should be consistent with using product lines. More often than not, using the same brand of poo & con works better than mixing and matching. One of my pet peeves is stylists just using whatever is at the bowl rather than thoughtfully considering what my hair needs. I don't appreciate the randomness of that situation at all.
14. The conversation content should be carefully monitored. Personal lives should be left in the personal bush outside of the door and picked up on the way out. Discussions on religion, politics, and drama should all be avoided as much as possible so as not to alienate any clients. Music should also be relaxing & unoffensive. I *hate* having to listen to 50 cent or R. Kelly in the salon. Stylists just have to be mindful that tastes differ, and music that is instrumental is far less likely to offend clients, particularly those that are Christian.
15. Prices should be discussed before an appointment begins to avoid unpleasant surprises. The last time I got a relaxer, she told me on the phone that relaxers were $65. After she finished, she explained that she was charging me $80 because my hair was "long and thick" and "a lot to handle." You're a freakin stylist, deal with it! I was *not* pleased with her or her bait & switch. Needless to say, I haven't been back to her. Had she told me on the phone that she was going to charge more for longer hair, I probably would have gone to her anyway because I've gotten use to having to pay more for having longer hair. But her actions were borderline duplicitous in my opinion, and I didn't want to have any further dealings with her. Clients who take care of their hair should not be penalized with exorbitant prices.

WHEW! I've said waaaaay too much, but there are just *some* of the things I plan to fix, and hopefully it will be helpful to someone else. :look:

blackbarbie

DivineInspiration, girl you laid it down!!

I only have a few more to add b/c most the ladies have come up with some really good suggestions and if most of these are incorporated into your business plan and you make it a reality, you will have clients lined up outside the door and will definitely be successful.

-the stylist should not be into "hair styling" but also knowledgeable of "hair care"
-PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE respect the client's time and don't book 5 perms back to back every half hour b/c of greed, when you know good and well you are only one person and can't possible get them all done without having some angry sistas (if they have sat and waited on you)
-would be helpful if you retailed the products you use on the client's hair so they have an opportunity to get the same wonderful results at home. Today's woman is busier than ever and for many reasons, may not be able to visit the salon as often; it would be helpful to be able to offer the products so she can maintain or replicate your style at home.
-very comfortable waiting area apart from the workstations. Light complimentary snacks for the clients; don't try to go to Sam's and buy a 12 pack of snack crackers for $1 and then try to sell them to the clients for $1 EACH. Didn't you notice that the pack said "Not for individual sale??"
-"rewards program" for regular clients (similar to a frequent flyer program) as well as some type of referral program. The program doesn't have to be elaborate, but just for your client to know that you made an effort and they are appreciated goes a long way.
-i agree about the music; should be instrumental as not to offend anyone. The idea about the chairs being equipped with radios and room for your own headsets is a great idea!
-NO SOLICITATION!! That definitely puts a dent in my salon experience.
-No gossiping. That goes for the stylists since they are usually the topic starters. If the stylists are not gossiping then the clientale doesn't feel inclined to chime in; (very seldom will the clients start, but then again some do!) Stylists should be professional and also look like the part of the professional person they are. "Stylists should by stylish!"
-This next one is just a marketing tool that I think will be good and it is to make sure you have a record of all your client's b'days, anniversary's, etc. and put it in some kind of computer program where on that special day, be sure to send them some type of greeting (e-card or snail mail) that includes a discount for services for their special day.
-Full service salon serving all hair types as well as offering a full range of services.

I have some more thoughts and will post again but they won't come to me right now. They seem to come to me very easily when I am waiting on my 4:30 appointment and it is 6:30 and I am still waiting though!!

atl_mulattamami

I want to open my own salon as well so here are the things I plan on applying based on my bad past experiences:

1)Professionalism...I can't stand a stylist telling me I need a chemical put in my head. "Oh you need a perm." "Oh, well you know you could always get a texturizer if you still want to be natural"....um no girl stop...there will be none of this in my salon.

2)No long waits...I hate having a 12 o'clock appointment and not getting on the chair til 1 o'clock. And then at that they have the nerve to book me at the same time as five other girls so I don't get out of there til like 6 o'clock.

3)Nicely decorated and good location...this place doesn't have to win a best salon ever in existance award(although it would be nice:)) but come on what kind of business do you actually expect to get when the place is basically a hole in the wall?

4)Stylists look professional...I, as a client, have never been able to let anyone whos hair was crazy or looked a hot mess do my hair. Something about it just turns me off. I'm not saying the stylists would have to have beautiful healthy hair from BSL and on but they at least have to run a comb through their hair before work and no extreme styles.

5)Minimal/no gossip...Don't get me wrong I love gossip but I just feel that this is not the place for it (with the exception of celebrities of course cuz that never gets old!)

6)Stylists care about health OVER style...I would want the stylists to give a great style and give you want you want but at the same time be more concerned with the health of the hair!

Last edited:

Suri

After reading all of these I would have to say that the most important are:

1. Customer service- Stylists that look and act professional and provide a consultation with a mix of 'listening' to the customer and hair care knowledge, both healthy care and latest trends and technology. No gossip, actually a little intellectual conversation would be nice. Stylists who are well versed in their speciality as well as overall knowledge of hair care. No attitude, some people are very uncomfortable having a person in their hair who has a nasty attitude. I can keep my business! Act like you appreciate me.

2. Well Groomed Facilities- Having a well lit salon with big mirrors, soothing music and lots of eye candy to delight your customers will certainly impress them. Closets for coats, umbrella holders, air cleaners for the fumes, swept floors, flowers, parking. My old stylist worked in a place where the bathroom was :eek: disgusting. I wanted to vomit everytime I went there and they were always out of tissue :mad: wtf? Needless to say the entire salon should be cleaned everytime it is used, disinfected and replenished of items needed. THIS IS IMPORANT.The same way people check out your house when they use your bathroom is the same way people inspect your business, esp. new customers. Please offer parking.:)

3. Specialties- An onsite BSS, headphones built into the dryers, massage chairs, DVD's, a child sitting room with supervision, referral programs with discounts, and refreshments served are great incentives but only after the basic requirements are met.

4. CLIENT CARE- I think that a clients time is most overlooked. Stylist respond to greed before respecting the clients time. Enforce in your staff that when they are there the CLIENT is the most important person, thing, or thought except in case of an emergency. I think that each client should have a file with picture, goals and prodcuts used to document everything. This is a must that many salons skip in the business plan. Do your best to enforce this. Additionally, children of stylist, extended lunch breaks, eating while styling, on the phone, etc. ABSOLUTE NO NO :nono: , not only is it unsanitary but it's invading and disgusting. Separate waiting area and hair styling area, it decreases the preoccupation with waiting when it's not right in your face.

6. COMMUNICATION- Keeping the lines of communication open are key to letting customer know that you appreciate them and you respect their time. A good system for appointments are to call the client as soon as the stylist knows they are running behind. A reminder of your appointment, the day before is nice just in case anything changes. Also, an incentive would be the little beepers that they give out at restaurants when your table is ready. You could have a similar device for clients waiting over 30 minutes. Just a thought.

7. PROMOTION- Essentially your whole business. Offer packages for special holidays like Mothers Days ;) , Christmas, have guest speakers like a head stylist or make-up artist and have Q&A, have luncheons where clients can ask questions.

8. Prices- Honestly I believe you get what you pay for. When a client pays very little money and gets shi**y service, well there you go. But if you have a beautiful facility that caters to women with class and charatcter, we expect to pay a little more. We know that those state of the art fixtures aren't cheap. Well there's my 75 cents.

:grin: Best of Luck to you!!

lala

My ideal salon would have a water softener/purifier installed to counteract the drying effects of the polluted city water...