design essentials REGULAR strenghth relaxer info:

mzhotniz86

ok , i ordered from a site that a few others know about, that sell design essentials relaxer. i used it on my hair in early October and it seemed to not take very well.
Well i discussed this info with a stylist who took a look at my hair. She told me that the design regular, is pretty strong and burns faster than the others (shea butter, time release). She doesnt use it any more and that she used to use it on clients with 2,3a and b hair ,etc. More or less like a texturizer. She only leaves it on for a few minutes and rinses it back out because its too strong to leave on for the whole 20 minutes...

had i known this crap i would not have bought this 4 lb tub lol

SHE ALSO mentions, when basing the scalp for a relaxer, try NOT to use petrolatum . She says the relaxer sticks to the petrolatum and makes it harder to rinse out.

Hmmm...I don't get it. You said that the relaxer you bought didn't take very well (so I guess it didn't get your hair straight?), but then when you spoke with this stylist she told you that DE regular is VERY strong and tends to work fast...so much so that you shouldn't leave it on for the full 20 min? I'm a little confused... :confused: Sorry, it's early in the morning! :lol:

I used to use DE mild w/shea butter, and it was more like a texturizer. Maybe I should switch back to that?? I used the DE regular, and while it wasn't harsh (to me), I still noticed that my hair was thicker (although not "shiny straight") and probably healthier and longer when I had the DE mild in my hair. :scratchch

Hmmm...I don't get it. You said that the relaxer you bought didn't take very well (so I guess it didn't get your hair straight?), but then when you spoke with this stylist she told you that DE regular is VERY strong and tends to work fast...so much so that you shouldn't leave it on for the full 20 min? I'm a little confused... :confused: Sorry, it's early in the morning! :lol:

I used to use DE mild w/shea butter, and it was more like a texturizer. Maybe I should switch back to that?? I used the DE regular, and while it wasn't harsh (to me), I still noticed that my hair was thicker (although not "shiny straight") and probably healthier and longer when I had the DE mild in my hair. :scratchch

Yes, i thought about this too lol. my edges are brittle and breaking more than usual. i remember applying it on my edges last though. as i started finishing the application ,it started burning. i still continued to sit with it for a few more minutes until the time was up and then i went to rinse it. so , on my head, some areas my be over or under processed more than others.

ive had it done it salons before, but im not sure of which version of the relaxer they use. i thought about using it again , but im too scared lol.

Yes, i thought about this too lol. my edges are brittle and breaking more than usual. i remember applying it on my edges last though. as i started finishing the application ,it started burning. i still continued to sit with it for a few more minutes until the time was up and then i went to rinse it. so , on my head, some areas my be over or under processed more than others.

ive had it done it salons before, but im not sure of which version of the relaxer they use. i thought about using it again , but im too scared lol.

Ohhhh...hmm... Well, if it's breaking your edges off, I wouldn't use it again. :( I'm very finicky about my edges (so much so...I'm sure my stylist thinks I'm crazy! :dizzy: LOL!), so I don't play when it comes to them. It takes my edges so long to grow back!

The only relaxer that didn't thin my edges was the DE MILD w/shea butter. In fact, I started to notice that my whole hair-line was growing. I was getting baby hairs along my edges, and even devoloped a slight widows peak (Something I NEVER even knew I had!! haha!) after I stopped using regular strength relaxers.

So yeah...I think I may just switch back to the DE mild w/shea butter. It didn't get my hair super straight, but I think in the long run it was better for my fine hair. :ohwell:

I hope you find a relaxer that works for you. Also, what website did you buy that relaxer from? Are you sure it was reputable? Just curious... I would hate to think that some sites sell relaxers that have been tampered with. :nono:

^^^^ yes i just went and got it done on this past friday (retouch) i believe she used the mild. i sat for a long time with it and it didnt burn. and while she was applying the relaxer, she said that my newgrowth was curly instead of nappy. hmmmm. i ordered the relaxer from a company off ebay along with the 6n1 reconstructor. i believe that will be my LAST time ordering anything like that from online. anyway,she did a good job with my hair and shes actually into healthy hair. she said ALOT of the things we talk about on here.

she also mentioned about shampoos. that we as AA women with our kind of hair, need to use brands SPECIFICALLY made for us. using any kind of shampoo can be too harsh and take too much moisture out of hair , and we always need some form of moisture. she also talked with me about alternating protein and moisture every week or as needed (which i already learned from here :) )

Back