Detangle on wet or dry hair?

Crystalicequeen123

Hmmm....maybe I should try dry/damp detangling instead of wet detangling instead! That Denman rips my hair out too, but it's the only real tool that seems to do the work! :ohwell:

I have a question though...for you natural ladies who dry/damp detangle, how on earth do you manage to dry detangle on hair that is an afro/or a wash-n-go? Because detangling STRETCHED hair dry is one thing, but trying to detangle dry UNstretched hair would (imo) seem to be COUNTERproductive! Yikes!

I know my 4a/4b type hair would scream in horror at a dry detangling session when it's in its shrunken state. So, how do you ladies do it? Do you ladies ALWAYS wear your hair in stretched out styles? :look:

winona

Hmmm....maybe I should try dry/damp detangling instead of wet detangling instead! That Denman rips my hair out too, but it's the only real tool that seems to do the work! :ohwell:

I have a question though...for you natural ladies who dry/damp detangle, how on earth do you manage to dry detangle on hair that is an afro/or a wash-n-go? Because detangling STRETCHED hair dry is one thing, but trying to detangle dry UNstretched hair would (imo) seem to be COUNTERproductive! Yikes!

I know my 4a/4b type hair would scream in horror at a dry detangling session when it's in its shrunken state. So, how do you ladies do it? Do you ladies ALWAYS wear your hair in stretched out styles? :look:

I use a wide tooth comb after I have used a heat source with my dc. For example I apply the dc in sections sit under the dryer for 20min let hair cool aka be lazy for about 10+min. Take down each section and spray until damp with water (if it is dry) and use wide tooth comb. The comb slip right through my hair at this point because I have thoroughly finger detangled before washing(with oil) and with a slippery conditioner in the shower. I noticed detangling out of the shower gives me more patience because I don't feel rush and when I am tired I just stop for a minute;) hth

regina07

I agree about getting rid of the Denman or removing some of the rows. That is one brutal hair tool. I only use it now to brush my scalp -- it doesn't go down the length of my hair.

I use a shower comb while in the shower and my hair is saturated with conditioner. I don't comb it when it's dry -- I spritz to dampen then finger comb.

AHeadOfCoils

I shampoo my hair first, DC and detangle in sections w/ my Denman (twisting my hair to mark what has been detangled). I rinse the DC out of my hair with the twist still in. That prevents my hair from tangling again.

I CANNOT detangle w/ those wide tooth shower combs. They snatch my hair right out. With my Denman, I detangle my entire head and only have about 5-10 hairs in it. :heart:

Oh and I typically DC w/ JessiCurl Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment. :yep:

*~*Afrolicious*~*

I've noticed most fine haired ladies lose more hair when detangling with wet hair. As my hair is getting longer (I think I'm BSL now), I lose way less hair by detangling gently in the shower with a wide tooth comb after I apply heaps of a cheapie conditioner. The force of the water on my hair actually prevents other hairs from wrapping around each other and breaking.

Last edited:

~NanCeBoTwin~

I detangle with a creamy thick conditioner (usually AM) using a wide tooth shower comb under running water at the end of co washing.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I pre and post detangle

(pre) finger detangle before shampoo
(post) wide tooth comb detangle after DC

I post DC detangle one of two ways (depends on my mood)
Either after steaming but before rinsing or after rinsing DC when I'm about 90% air dried. If roller setting, I am forced to detangle while wet

Crystalicequeen123

I use a wide tooth comb after I have used a heat source with my dc. For example I apply the dc in sections sit under the dryer for 20min let hair cool aka be lazy for about 10+min. Take down each section and spray until damp with water (if it is dry) and use wide tooth comb. The comb slip right through my hair at this point because I have thoroughly finger detangled before washing(with oil) and with a slippery conditioner in the shower. I noticed detangling out of the shower gives me more patience because I don't feel rush and when I am tired I just stop for a minute;) hth

That's a good point. :yep: I notice that sometimes when I rip into my hair under the shower while detangling, it's mainly because I'm tired of being in the shower, and running water..and I don't want to be in the shower anymore, so I try to rush w/the detangling and then of course that leads to doing a shoddy job of detangling and that = ripped hairs. :ohwell:

I think I'll try the damp/dry detangling methods. Detangling on dry/damp hair first BEFORE co-washing/shampooing, and then detangling again AFTER I deep condition my hair.

I've noticed most fine haired ladies lose more hair when detangling with wet hair. As my hair is getting longer (I think I'm BSL now), I lose way less hair by detangling gently in the shower with a wide tooth comb after I apply heaps of a cheapie conditioner. The force of the water on my hair actually prevents other hairs from wrapping around each other and breaking.

Yep, I've noticed that too. I'm fine-haired, but I find that the shower water actually seems to HELP loosen the curls and loosen knots/tangles. I still get them, but I can't imagine how different it would be if I were detangling on dry hair. But I'm going to try dry/damp detangling and see if I notice a difference because I've been getting a LOT of shed hairs lately. :ohwell:

belldandy

am I hurting my hair by detangling on soaking wet hair with conditioner??? I am really starting to question myself now. I do this almost everyday when I cowash. Otherwise, my hair would dred up...

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Finger detangle with first conditioner (usually something light), follow up with wide tooth comb and a more rich/heavy conditioner. Denman can be pretty harsh on my hair and I'm not too fond of the extra shrinkage so I barely use it and when I do, my hair is usually sectioned off first.

lilyofthenile

I detangle on damp hair. I use diluted conditioner to do this. I divide my hair in four sections and detangle section by section. I spray my hair with the conditioner and then comb from ends to the roots with the Denman D31.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I detangle soaking wet hair saturated with conditioner and/or oil using shower comb or denman brush (co-wash/oil rinse)
I detangle dry hair using oils and fingers (pre-poo)

What she said. And I use my Denman D24 Double Row Detangling Comb.

addaboutmyhair

My hair doesn't see water until I detangle. I first finger comb with oil, then I really saturate my hair with oil, put on a shower cap aand sometimes heat. Then I comb with my ouidad in sections and get rid of shed hairs. Usually I use olive oil.

Then I shampoo, etc.

Sesi

I just started detangling before I shampoo. I overnight prepoo with coconut oil. So I detangle with my hair saturated in the oil before I shampoo it. Tangles melt and coomb glides through like butter.

Nonie

am I hurting my hair by detangling on soaking wet hair with conditioner??? I am really starting to question myself now. I do this almost everyday when I cowash. Otherwise, my hair would dred up...

belldandy, if you've been doing it forever and it hasn't seemed to thwart your efforts toward healthy and long hair, I say stick to what's been working. The only time I recommend someone change something is if whatever they are doing is getting in the way of where you want to be. They do say wet hair is weaker then dry, but wet hair with conditioner also has better slip and therefore less risk of the cuticle being ripped off due to friction of strands as you pull the hairs apart. So there are pros and cons to doing it either way. You could try dry and see if you like it, but it wet has been working, I say don't fix what isn't broken.

cheryl26

I brush it after the shower when it's about 80% dry. I'd be bald headed if I did it while completely wet, my strands just melt right outta my scalp

Majestye

I detangle phase 1 with conditioner in my hair. Then after towel dried/damp I detangle phase 2 after applying Cantu Breakfix. It's better at detangling than the Cantu leave in conditioner. The Breakfix is a must have for me! I also like how the aloe Vera gel works at detangling. I made my own (I have plenty of aloe plants in my home) using yummypopcorn's recipe off YouTube. HHG

Sent from my Xoom using Xoom