Detangling: Updated, Collective Wisdom As Of 2016

JudithO

4C hair - really fine strands - BSL

I prepoo with coconut oil overnight, and put hair in like 12 -16 twists.

Next morning, I appy Ausie Moist conditioner to each section very liberally... So it's super smooth like you are smoothing a relaxer thru your hair... detangle with the large side of this beautiful comb.

http://www.hotcombs.net/magic-lady-star-comb/

Takes me about an hour to complete... After I detangle each section, I put them back in twists, and do my entire routine in those twist... I unravel them under the water only after I DC so I rinse everything out completely and put them back in twists...

Oil rinse when I'm done with EVCO, wrap around towel for an hr, and bun for the next 2 weeks. Rinse and repeat... I never take down the bun cos I'm lazy and to busy for all that.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
4C hair - really fine strands - BSL

I prepoo with coconut oil overnight, and put hair in like 12 -16 twists.

Next morning, I appy Ausie Moist conditioner to each section very liberally... So it's super smooth like you are smoothing a relaxer thru your hair... detangle with the large side of this beautiful comb.

http://www.hotcombs.net/magic-lady-star-comb/

Takes me about an hour to complete... After I detangle each section, I put them back in twists, and do my entire routine in those twist... I unravel them under the water only after I DC so I rinse everything out completely and put them back in twists...

Oil rinse when I'm done with EVCO, wrap around towel for an hr, and bun for the next 2 weeks. Rinse and repeat... I never take down the bun cos I'm lazy and to busy for all that.

Your comb reminds me of the seamless one I use and LOVE:

http://www.hqhair.com/kent-tortoise...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKHuyZ-1vtECFZUJgQodM_8E1g

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Hey @JudithO :wave:.

@snoop, I bun with my twists in. My length doesn't show as good in this style and it's harder to make a bun. Sometimes I use marley hair to make a faux bun.

Other times, I'll unravel the twists after air drying, bun, twist the length of the pony in 5 or 6 twists and twirl them into a bun. The latter shows my length better.

JudithO

@JudithO Do you bun in the twists or do you take them down then bun?

After an hr of towel drying, my hair feels damp but without water in it.... I take down each twist so my hair is loose, bun, then make 5 or 6 loose twists on my exposed ends and wrap it around the bun... So I have a bun with the ends twisted and wrapped around itself..

It's the only way I can get a smooth bun on my 4C hair without knotted ends...

JudithO

Hey @JudithO :wave:.

@snoop, I bun with my twists in. My length doesn't show as good in this style and it's harder to make a bun. Sometimes I use marley hair to make a faux bun.

Other times, I'll unravel the twists after air drying, bun, twist the length of the pony in 5 or 6 twists and twirl them into a bun. The latter shows my length better.

Hey girl :)

How have you been? How is your hubby?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
My favorite YouTuber, cynthiarf, made an updated finger-detangling vid two years ago. I already do most of what she says, but I still rake my fingers through somewhat because my hair is not as thick as hers (wish I had that problem). She also believes in wetting the hair often to help remove sheds (in which I agree).

Aggie

It's good, but Soultanicals Hair Glide is, to my shock, better. It's a magical, miracle detangler. I'll never be without it.
I think I'm going to get that Knot Glide. I should at least try it to see what it is everyone is bragging about even though Soultanicals is off my repurchase list of vendors. When I do, I want to get it on sale and I want the liter size bottles. I have other detanglers so I can wait.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I think I'm going to get that Knot Glide. I should at least try it to see what it is everyone is bragging about even though Soultanicals is off my repurchase list of vendors. When I do, I want to get it on sale and I want the liter size bottles. I have other detanglers so I can wait.

I heard that the liter size is not good. It's a different consistency.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy are you still using the slippery elm D.C.? Is it still giving u good results?
I think I'd like to try it. Or maybe even just buy slippery elm by itself (might be cheaper).

Here is a link to the post in the Soultanicals Reviews thread about how Soultanicals is discontinuing the liter version of the Hair Glide: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/soultanicals-reviews.663281/page-54#post-23605853.

I have never had any problems with the smaller bottle, which Soultanicals still sells. When I say it detangles my worst webs and tangles and knots like a miraculous magical SUPER HERO . . . :yep:. I wish I could make it at home. I'm almost embarrassed to say it, but I fear running out of the Soultanicals Hair Glide. It's THAT effective on my hair.

Aggie

Here is a link to the post in the Soultanicals Reviews thread about how Soultanicals is discontinuing the liter version of the Hair Glide: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/soultanicals-reviews.663281/page-54#post-23605853.

I have never had any problems with the smaller bottle, which Soultanicals still sells. When I say it detangles my worst webs and tangles and knots like a miraculous magical SUPER HERO . . . :yep:. I wish I could make it at home. I'm almost embarrassed to say it, but I fear running out of the Soultanicals Hair Glide. It's THAT effective on my hair.
Wait I read further about the 12 oz bottles. You were right. That means I will have to get 2 or 3 of the 12 oz bottles instead. They still have the 32 oz bottle listed on the site but it is OOS. They should just take it down altogether if it's not being offered anymore.

Aggie

I just bought 4 bottles of the Knot-Proof hair Glide and 1 bottle of the Hair Glaze - finally with the 30% off coupon code they were offering using TREATYOSELF. I sure hope the KG will not have any consistency issues this time.

LegsLegsLegs

Oh Lordt.. I'm going to give this soultanicals stuff a try even though I'm really not trying to turn into a product junkie. If this ends up working well for me, I will have to stock up on this stuff because I use AAAA LOTTTT of Conditioner on my hair.

LegsLegsLegs

I tried the Soultanicals Knot Glide and I wanted this to work for me so badly, but it didn't. I tried it initially on a small tangled section of my hair after I washed, D.C. & rinsed and it did NOTHING. But when I was rinsing it out with warm water, my hair got VERY soft and it took out some of the tangles. I tried it later on after I cold rinsed & it didn't do anything again. I don't know if it was because I tried an acv rinse for the first time, but I will stick to my regular routine: cold rinse and apply Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Conditioner. Trying acv rinse and a new detangling product really prolonged my wash day routine because my hair was difficult to detangle. But I will give this product another try without acv rinse during my next wash day.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I tried the Soultanicals Knot Glide and I wanted this to work for me so badly, but it didn't. I tried it initially on a small tangled section of my hair after I washed, D.C. & rinsed and it did NOTHING. But when I was rinsing it out with warm water, my hair got VERY soft and it took out some of the tangles. I tried it later on after I cold rinsed & it didn't do anything again. I don't know if it was because I tried an acv rinse for the first time, but I will stick to my regular routine: cold rinse and apply Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Conditioner. Trying acv rinse and a new detangling product really prolonged my wash day routine because my hair was difficult to detangle. But I will give this product another try without acv rinse during my next wash day.

Aww, @LegsLegsLegs! :sad: Sorry!

I hope it works on the second try sans the ACV. *pout*

I don't know if it will help, but I apply it to a damp section of hair and add water to the section as needed, as I'm detangling the section with the Soultanicals Hair Glide saturating my ends to make the ends very slippery. That's how I use it best.

Royalq

Just went through a detangle session that I had to split into 2 days. Ugh. The wooden paddle brush still snagged my hair at the base. Idk what to do.

Royalq

Hugs. I know the feeling. :hug2:

Anyone have any suggestions for @Royalq?

@Royalq, can you share your hair deets again? TIA.
Sure. Fine strands, high density, 4b/c, high porosity, prone to ssks. It tangles very easily and even in small sections it takes a while to work my way up while detangling. I can never ever brush or comb through a fully detangled section. The comb just gets stuck. So if i split my hair in four and in one quadrant i take small sections and throughly detangle with a paddle brush. When im done with that quadrant i cannot pass that same paddle brush through the quadrant. After a thorough detangling i cant run my fingers through my hair, cant run a wide tooth comb or brush, cant part. My hair clumps together then twirls almost like a dreadlock.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Sure. Fine strands, high density, 4b/c, high porosity, prone to ssks. It tangles very easily and even in small sections it takes a while to work my way up while detangling. I can never ever brush or comb through a fully detangled section. The comb just gets stuck. So if i split my hair in four and in one quadrant i take small sections and throughly detangle with a paddle brush. When im done with that quadrant i cannot pass that same paddle brush through the quadrant. After a thorough detangling i cant run my fingers through my hair, cant run a wide tooth comb or brush, cant part. My hair clumps together then twirls almost like a dreadlock.

We are almost hair twins!