Detangling

H

HoneyRockette

For some reason no product nor wide tooth comb can completely detangle my hair. It is tangled at the roots. When I manage to detangle the roots, the ends become tangled. It is a losing battle. How do I remedy this with the least amount of breakage?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I have found all of the following products to be very detangling:

*Creme of Nature Shampoo
*Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo+Humecto Creme Conditioner
*(My New Fav.)Elucense Moisture Benefits Shampoo+Moisture Balance Conditioner
*Nexxus Humectress
*Joico Moisturizing Conditioner

hiddy3

HoneyRockette,
I find the Elucence conditioner remarkably detangling.
Cream of Nature shampoo and GPB conditioner are also good detanglers for my hair.

Pallas

H

HoneyRockette

I used Creme of Nature and KeraCare shampoo already. It is okay while my hair is wet but it still dries into a big frizzy tangled mess.

Nyambura

surfer girl
How about detangling in the shower? Some ladies here rinse everyday to get moisture. The bonus is that when I detangle in the shower, the comb glides through my hair. If you're talking about when the hair is dry, have you had any success with WGO?

LuvableLady

I may have a tip for you. When you wash your hair are you holding your head over a sink? If so, that may be your problem. The products that the ladies mentioned are excellent but you should try keeping your hair straight down to the side or back when washing it by letting the water run down the natural shape of your head instead of piling all of your hair up on top of your head. That can cause serious tangles and they are hard to get out no matter what product you use. If you can't keep it straight bending over a sink, you should try washing your hair in the shower. I used to have the same problem until I stopped holding my entire head down a sink. Now I am basically tangle free and it makes shampooing a pleasure! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you’re already doing this I don’t know what else to say that would help you.

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Clairol's Textures and Tones Silken Black 1B was much better. No dry hair afterward and the color was dark like I wanted. The color started wearing off around the third shampoo. Next time I'll try using heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honey, Luv gave you great advice.

Last month I had to wash my hair in the sink as I was having trouble with the boiler in my house and it was the worst thing I couldhave done for my hair.

Make sure you wash your hair going back so the water flows down it and try to lightly detangle your hair with your fingers. Also don't detangle from your roots. Work your way up from the ends to the roots to detangle your hair.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Try rinsing your hair while standing in the shower. Apply a nickel-sized amount (more if your hair is long and/or thick) of instant conditioner and don't rinse it out. I know it sounds icky, but it doesn't leave my natural or relaxed hair sticky or gummy at all. My comb glides effortlessly through my new growth. Even after it has dried /images/graemlins/wink.gif I use Suave Humectant Conditioner.
You may also want to make sure your shampoo isn't stripping all the moisture out of your hair. LondonDiva gave me the heads up on this:
Try to find shampoos that use Sodium Laureth Sulfate, TEA Lauryl Sulfate, Coconut Oil and TEA Laureth Sulfate as detergents. Oil extract soaps are good, too. i.e. coconut oil, vegetable oil, wheat germ oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, etc. These are the ones you’ll usually find in the health food store. Look for plant extracts or buffering agents like disodium EDTA and citric acid high up on the label.
I kept searching for a conditioner and styling products to soften my hair when all along my favorite shampoos (Aussie Moist and Pantene Daily Moisture—go figure) were making my hair feel rough and hard to comb.
I like Creme of Nature, African Wonders, African Formula Shea Butter, Aubrey Organics Island Natural, Curl Friends and Salon Selectives Completely Drenched shampoos. And I dilute them down to a 50/50 shampoo/water mixture.

BlkMane

Your hair is relaxed and it is that hard to detangle? How do you style it? I mean, once you finish washing &amp; conditioning what is your NEXT step?

These are products I've found to be EXTREMELY detangling:

<ul type="square"> [*]Tropical Avocado Hair Conditioning Cream (Dominican product) [*]Suave Aloe &amp; Honeysuckle Conditioner (light green bottle) [/list]

Put tons of one or the other on your roots and through the length of your hair and detangle your hair carefully and slowing from your ENDS UP. Never detangle from the roots down.

H

HoneyRockette

To answer everyone's questions, I always wash my hair in the shower going back. I thought it was the Biostrand that made my hair tangled but I washed with my old shampoo and conditioner and it was still matted at the roots. Since everyone says combing wet hair is bad, I just apply leave in conditioner after my wash and put a towel over it. After a half hour or so I take the towel off and just let it air dry the rest of the way by itself. That is when it SERIOUSLY tangles. I have no choice but to air dry because I don't know how to rollerset and blow dryers make my hair even frizzier than it is normally. Usually I sit there and break half of my hair off trying to detangle it when it dries but lately I have been just putting my hair into a ponytail or bun as best as I can and leaving it in until I wash again. I will try the recommended products because at this point I am desperate. I already cut my hair once. I don't want the rest of it to break off.

free2bme

Hi HoneyRocket,

My ultimate detangling weapon is Aubrey Organics Island Creme Spice. It's like my tangles just disappear with this product it is also ultra-moisturizing too. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tea

My suggestion is to comb through it a couple of times before washing to make sure all the tangles are out. When washing you hair try to wash without piling hair on top of head because that causes tangling. After rinsing out shampoo &amp; conditioner use a creme rinse/detangler as a leave in conditioner. Fingercomb through your hair while it is still wet/damp and gently pull back into a loose ponytail or coily bun and then place your towel over your hair and let it air dry. This seems to work for me if my hair is misbehaving.

G

Infusium 23 leave-in conditioner is an EXCELLENT detangler. I also use Creme of Nature, but that doesn't really detangle my hair until I pour in the Infusium 23 leave-in conditioner.

Elyse

<font color="blue">
You can go to the aubrey organics website and key in your zip code to find retailers in your area that carry their products</font color>

beana3

i've been there with the severe tangled and matted roots!!! still have a bit 2 go. here's what i did and it helped tremendously!!!
olive oil pretreat
creme of nature green shamp, but instead of focusing on the roots (i think this tangles my hair even more) i started at the roots and pulled the lather through my hair w/ my fingers so that my whole head was emersed in lather and kept in somewhat of a str8 form
then i used Qh Placenta conditioner from root to tip combed it through (you will still have tangles at this point, but the co helps release tangles)
then w/ heat deep conditoned for 1hr
rinsed conditioner out thoroughly while finger combing
then i COATED my ahir in hollywood beauty carrot creme and this helped sooo much with detnagling
now here's the part you may not want to hear:
after my comb out i blow dryed my hair, but i made sure to coat w/ WGO before blowdrying. I blew it dry because i know that if i leave my hair to air dry it binds together and makes more tangles, and during the week i loose my hair trying to undo them
blow drying gives the hair a chance to dry SEPARATELY and reduces tangles IMO
I only use heat once a week and i wear protective styles during.
I know that a lot of people are proponents of air drying, but it simply doesn't work for me. my hair always looks dry afterwards no matter how much oil i use to seal it!!! the only time my hair looks good air drying is during my twist outs but since its winter and i get the worse cold ever, i'm dispelling air drying.
HTH

notsomebody

Give yourself a hot oil treatment before you shampoo your hair. IF you have hair like mine it will start to draw up and become tangled the second water hits it, so here is what I do:

Section the hair in to 4 (sometime 6 or eight depending on how close I am to needing a retouch). Spray each section with water (I mix water, msm, and t-tree oil in a spray bottle for this). Then I apply my hot oil. My hot oil depends on what I have available, my favorite is extra virgin olive oil and Jojoba blended together. Then, when that section is completely coated (sometimes I will comb it through depending on whether my hair feels completely covered with it or not) twist it into a small bun. Do this for each section. Then I sit under a heating cap for half an hour to an hour depending on how much time I have and what my hair wants. After that, I get in the shower to wash. The beauty of using the buns is that you can wash each section one at a time and re -bun it to keep it from getting tangled. This is also the method I use for applying deep conditioner to my hair. I started doing as a means of making sure I got even coverage out of my products. The detangling has been a really helpful side effect.

HTH

Nyambura

surfer girl
Hi HoneyRockette,
Why don't you try putting your hair in a bun or a ponytail right there in the shower? I think combing wet hair is OK but brushing wet hair is bad, though.

BlkMane

HoneyRockette-

Who said that COMBING wet hair is bad? Brushing wet hair is bad, but combing with a wide toothed comb is fine when your hair is wet.

I think all of your tangling problems are due to the fact you are avoiding combing your hair when wet. Please detangle your hair in the shower. Apply your most detangling product and slowing and carefully detangle your hair (from the ends up).

You might also want to loosely braid your hair so that it will not tangle as much when it air dries.

Let me know how it goes! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

H

HoneyRockette

I don't know where I heard combing wet hair was bad but I know I heard it more than once. I should try it I guess. I bought an afro pick to detangle my hair. Can I use this on wet hair? I need to buy a wide tooth comb. Also someone told me that new growth makes your hair tangle easier. I have about an inch and a quarter. Is that true? I have never had this problem before and I always go three or four months between touch ups. Has any of you who get an inch a month or go long between touch ups had this problem???

LondonDiva

Beana

I'm just like you I get better results when blowdrying my hair. It can only feel good to me if I twist it with some product in it to get it straight. Other than that airdrying leaves my hair dry and lifeless.

I can never be a wash and go kinda girl

Jaquai

two good products for detangling are pantene daily moisture renewal. ive tried the other pantenes but this makes the hair feel really slippery and the tangles just fall right out. also try cholesterol conditioner. i guess you could use any brand but the only two ive tried are lekair and lustersilk. i buy the aloe versions. i am a 3c/4a natural and this stuff is great. also try creme of nature shampoo this is a really good detangling shampoo