Detangling

princessdi

Since my "relaxed" hair is a b**** to detangle and I've been watching several videos of "naturals" who detangle with ease such as (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT3l...list=ULiS-WV1pduSc&lf=mfu_in_order&playnext=2), I've been wondering if natural hair is so much easier to detangle than relaxed hair.

I'm going to try this method to see if it improves the process and also to see if I can achieve not losing so much hair during the detangling process, but can anyone chime in and let me know your thoughts.

Is detangling natural hair easier than detangling relaxed? If so, is it because relaxed hair is so much more fragile than natural.

I'm just curious and would like to hear your views. I so want the girl's hair in this video. It's so nice and healthy and she appears to have NO problems with the detangling process.

Kn0ttyByNatur3

I didn't click in the yt link yet

I used to comb through my WSL relaxed hair like it was nothing...hardly no shedding. Done within minutes.

It would take me an hour or so to properly detangle, remove sheds and tangles and M&S on sl natural hair for me :lol:

Relaxed hair was soooooooo easy for me.

faithVA

My hair is between SL and APL so I'm comparing my natural hair with my relaxed hair at that length. And when relaxed I never detangled my hair. I never had to detangle my hair until I went natural.

That being said, I do what the video does and detangle my hair prior to shampooing it because it is far easier and takes far less time than doing it after. I do a different version of this but the premise is the same. I prefer using oils to conditioners. But those who detangle prior to shampooiing have used conditioners, oils, prepoos, etc.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Chromia

When my hair was relaxed there were times when I had an easy time detangling and times when I had a difficult & frustrating time detangling. Same thing with natural hair.

My natural hair is easy to detangle now that I know which conditioners to use and which ones to stay away from, through trial and error. I detangle my hair under running water in the shower after I've applied conditioner.

Charla

I never knew of such a thing of detangling when I was relaxed. It wasn't until I became natural that the beast reared it's tangled head!

I've tried different methods to detangle, but my best detangling session happened last week. Someone posted a thread about detangling in the shower. So I tried it, but what I found is that it was not the constant stream of water that made the detangling easier, but rather it was the hair being saturated with water.
I attemtped the detangling after my DC session, I put a section of my hair (8 sections) in the running stream then took it out and then detangled with the hair saturated. It was super easy.

KurlyNinja

I only ever detangle on wet, condition soaked hair. Which makes it so much easier. Also I usually keep my hair stretched. I only detangle once a week though using the denman brush from sallys

naturalmanenyc

Detangle relaxed hair? I don't think I ever had the problem when I was relaxed.

I have my detangling mix in my natural hair right now (aloe vera juice mixed with jojoba oil). I am about to add coconut oil and then detangle in small sections in about an hour. Then I will shampoo and deep condition.

It took a long time for me to find the right combo to detangle my natural hair with ease. I have had hour long detangling sessions and even reached for the scissors or at least one occasion (during transition). I have found that adding water to tangled hair makes the detanging process more difficult, at least for MY hair.

Okay

I did previously read those threads but its soooo confusing to me so I will just continue to read her blog and not order anything lol! She does have good tips..

Zaz

I agree with what others have stated. When I was relaxed I just styled my hair with no worries. In fact there was a whole school year in college when I didn't even own a comb :look: :lol:
I kept my hair cut between sl and apl and wore it out all the time, never had any issues with tangles.

As a natural, although I don't have one of the longer 30 minutes+ sessions, I still have to actually put some time aside and decide to detangle my hair once or so a week.

kupenda

I don't have to detangle my hair when it's straight. Only when it's in a braidout or has been allowed to kink back up do I have to detangle. My natural hair was always tangled :-/. I can't detangle on wet hair. It can be damp, but not wet. And I don't use conditioner much. I prefer oils.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Raspberry

My hair is between SL and APL so I'm comparing my natural hair with my relaxed hair at that length. And when relaxed I never detangled my hair. I never had to detangle my hair until I went natural.

That being said, I do what the video does and detangle my hair prior to shampooing it because it is far easier and takes far less time than doing it after. I do a different version of this but the premise is the same. I prefer using oils to conditioners. But those who detangle prior to shampooiing have used conditioners, oils, prepoos, etc.

Let us know how it works out for you.

When I was relaxed before hair boards I never had to detangle, but my second try at relaxing post hairboards I now have to detangle, especially while stretching.. but it doesn't compare at all to my detangling sessions while natural, but there was a different mindset altogether because my natural styles and routine didn't favor my hair laying down or straight so kinkiness and tangles were a matter of course.

I'm realizing the reason I didn't have to detangle my previously relaxed hair is because it was severely over-processed and would lay limp and stick straight no matter what.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Took me no longer than 15 minutes to detangle my bsl relaxed hair. Takes me near 1-2 hours depending on my technique to detangle my bsl natural hair.

classoohfive

When I was relaxed before hair boards I never had to detangle, but my second try at relaxing post hairboards I now have to detangle, especially while stretching.. but it doesn't compare at all to my detangling sessions while natural, but there was a different mindset altogether because my natural styles and routine didn't favor my hair laying down or straight so kinkiness and tangles were a matter of course.

I'm realizing the reason I didn't have to detangle my previously relaxed hair is because it was severely over-processed and would lay limp and stick straight no matter what.

Same. I did have a few issues detangling my relaxed hair back then because it was thick, but nothing like I do now. I think it being over-processed is the reason. I would go awhile without a really good detangle (just brushing) and it still wasn't as big of a headache as I deal with now if I don't detangle for a few days. Now my hair is strong enough to fight back. :lol:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I guess I'm an odd one because I did have detangling sessions when I had relaxed hair. It could be because detangling sessions were very irregular for me at the time. A year or so pre-LHCF I found that detangling was much easier when cowashing. (Had no idea what it was called at the time, just thought I stumbled on something effective.)

Nonie

OK, first of all, when did "combing hair" become "detangling hair"?

"Detangling" is a word made of two parts:
  • "De" is a Latin suffix that means "away, off; generally indicates reversal or removal in English". You find it in words like debone, defrost.
  • "Tangling" is from the word tangle which means "mix together or intertwine in a confused mass". So when hair is tangled, it is stuck together in a confused mass.
So to detangle is to "remove tangles".

What we see in the video in the OP is a MTM combing hair that has no tangles in it whatsoever. She isn't removing tangles. She's combing through fully detangled hair.

Now w/r/t OP's question, I don't think detangling hair is easy whether your hair is relaxed or not. I don't know where the idea that tangles can be avoided if you don't comb hair and wear it lose came from. Until I left home (Kenya) I never knew that there were people who didn't comb their new growth when relaxed. Of course that'd lead to tangles. I didn't even know about daily shedding back then or that that alone would cause tangles if the shed hair was not removed. Common sense just told me that hair that isn't combed will mat and be impossible to comb, and so combing hair daily if wearing it lose was a given.

Similarly when it came to natural hair, combing was a must. Growing up, I never had natural hair that would get longer than SL because I didn't know that type 4B hair was weak and should never be combed dry. But you'd never have caught me not combing my hair. If I wasn't combing it, you can bet your bottom dollar it was braided. And it's something that I've practiced until today.

And you know what, I NEVER detangle. Why? Because I never get tangles. How come? Because I never allow my hair to do crazy ish that would cause tangles. Shake-and-go or wash-n-go falls and under "crazy ish" in my hair's dictionary. I haven't combed my hair with a comb since April 2009. But I haven't let my hair tangle either. I've been in braids or twists, and I remove shed hair when I redo one braid or twist at a time. I finger comb fully to remove the shed hair, and so I always redo a section that has no shed hair and no tangles. In other words, I don't LET tangles enter my hair...so I never have to detangle.

When I had relaxed hair, tangles were not welcome either and I never let my hair tangle. I never let difference in texture discourage me from combing my hair. When I had new growth, I used Paltas BKC Hair Treatment on my growth and baggied. This made my new growth soft and comb-able the way S Curl does my natural hair. And so I could take a fine tooth comb, part a small section and run the comb from roots to ends. I'd do this till all the roots where combed through and then I'd return to using my wide tooth comb to style the main body of my hair. My roots didn't tangle because I'd combed through it. Baggying nightly kept it soft. (I know some relaxed people who use S Curl for their new growth and if I were relaxed now, that's probably what I'd do. Application has to be meticulous: You part a narrow section, apply to new growth, comb through, repeat.)

And that's something everyone needs to do. Quit letting tangles enter your hair in the first place and the question in the OP will not even be an issue.

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I'm also relaxed and I truly feel your pain!!!! I cannot stand wash days if I'm over 8 weeks post relaxer. I dread my detangling session. Hate it! I'm starting to think the more textures I have on my head, the harder it is to detangle. Might have to start bonelaxing. :(

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

Charla

Nonie That's true, when I saw her hair in the video, I was like "Her hair isn't tangled." But what you say about no need to detangle if you don't allow tangles is something I've been thinking about since I got the cornrows in last week. When I take them down, the only thing I really need to do as I unbraid one cornrow at a time is remove shed hairs, then keep it stretched in sections as I wash, cowash, DC and M&S. If I do that, then detangling should become a rare instance for me.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I'm sorry but tangles are inevitable. However, how severely your tangles become is up to your hair practices.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690