Detangling

Miss*Tress

^^^^ I'm going to try that! Never thought about applying leave-ins until my hair is 80-90% airdried.

@princessdi I have used both combs and always preferred the shower comb until I started using the Hercules Sagemann: Magic Star Jumbo Rake Comb.
This is by far the best detangling comb I have used. It cost $20.00, but is so worth it.
That comb is indeed the best. Also oil rinsing has been helpful for me in preventing tangles.

longfroinghair

I was Relaxed over a year ago, I never got tangles.
I'm Natural Now and I still don't get tangles.

The Only time I got tangles was during relaxer stretching (2 hair textures), while transitioning (2 hair textures), and as a new natural (when I Did not use heat).

Different textures of hair will tangle, that's why even while I'm natural, if I have split, rough ends that need to go, they start to tangle where it meets the healthy hair. Also USING HEAT really really helped me. My natural hair loves heat and I don't spend a minute to tangle.

Not saying everyone should use heat, but do whatever you need to do to get your cuticle to lay smooth. Whether it's braiding, or using pH balanced products, or using products with slippery elm root like KCNT/Curl Junkie/Hot 6 Oil, or doing ACV rinses, or applying Silicones (chi silk infusion on wet hair works!), or using Heat. Any of those should work to help the tangles cause it smooths out the cuticles.

If you want to continue to stretch your relaxers, then tangling will happen where one texture meets the other, especially if you don't use heat.

anyway, that's my 2 cents :rolleyes:

Dominicanatural

Though it seems like the majority in this thread will disagree, I agree with OP and say that my BSL relaxed hair was a beast to detangle, particularly after the 8 week post mark. I would detangle a section, then return to that section and it would be tangled again at the line of demarcation. My natural hair is thicker, so no real time is saved, but I can't say detangling is anymore difficult so long as I'm not trying to detangle after a long term protective style or a wash and go (for me, a wash and hell no). I definitely do not missed relaxed detangling sessions--then again, I did not care for my hair in the slightest during my relaxed days so that was likely an influence.

PJaye

For years, I struggled with detangling – the twists, tangles, intertwined hairs, SSKs, mini dreds and not-so-mini dreds were driving me insane.

Out of sheer frustration I began detangling in sections (~six to eight) on wet hair that had been oversaturated with conditioner prior to shampooing, which worked very well for over a year. However, having to hop in and out of the shower several times during each weekly shampoo-DC session, particularly during the winter months, began to grate on my fragile nerves.

Then, a few months ago, the clouds parted and I had an epiphany: Why not use the soft, smooth, ridiculously silky feeling produced by specific shampoos to my advantage? Specifically, I’m referencing KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo, CON Argan Oil, and the new version of Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo.

I had previously discarded these shampoos because, notwithstanding the fantastic rinse-out results, they always decreased the volume of my hair to the extent that it looked sickly and in need of a transfusion. But...if I diluted them, would they still make my hair look sickly? Would they still produce that silky feeling? And, would I be able to use that silkiness to detangle my hair while rinsing?

So, under the guise of scientific hair research, I heavily diluted the Elasta shampoo with water and began to shampoo. To my surprise, it not only lathered well, but produced that fabulously soft, silky feeling I loved (not to mention that it still did a good job of cleaning the heck out of my hair and scalp). Since my hair is always parted down the center when I shampoo-DC, I grabbed my Magic Star Rake and began to tentatively work it through a small portion on the right side while standing under the shower head. Unbelievably, that sucker glided through with remarkable ease. I continued to slowly comb the entire right and left sides of my hair while repeating in utter disbelief, “Are you freaking kidding me?”

My hair has never been this easily detangled, even after it has been straightened; and the icing on the cake was the fact that the diluted shampoo didn’t decrease the volume of my hair. Needless to say, I was a very happy camper. Still, being the jaded PJ that I am, I was skeptical with respect to long-term results, but hopeful.

Well, it has been four months since I began experimenting with this method and it works like a charm every time. There is something about these three shampoos that produces silky results upon rinsing that aids in effective detangling, and whatever that is, I am ever so thankful for it.:yep:

princessdi

For years, I struggled with detangling – the twists, tangles, intertwined hairs, SSKs, mini dreds and not-so-mini dreds were driving me insane.

Out of sheer frustration I began detangling in sections (~six to eight) on wet hair that had been oversaturated with conditioner prior to shampooing, which worked very well for over a year. However, having to hop in and out of the shower several times during each weekly shampoo-DC session, particularly during the winter months, began to grate on my fragile nerves.

Then, a few months ago, the clouds parted and I had an epiphany: Why not use the soft, smooth, ridiculously silky feeling produced by specific shampoos to my advantage? Specifically, I’m referencing KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo, CON Argan Oil, and the new version of Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo.

I had previously discarded these shampoos because, notwithstanding the fantastic rinse-out results, they always decreased the volume of my hair to the extent that it looked sickly and in need of a transfusion. But...if I diluted them, would they still make my hair look sickly? Would they still produce that silky feeling? And, would I be able to use that silkiness to detangle my hair while rinsing?

So, under the guise of scientific hair research, I heavily diluted the Elasta shampoo with water and began to shampoo. To my surprise, it not only lathered well, but produced that fabulously soft, silky feeling I loved (not to mention that it still did a good job of cleaning the heck out of my hair and scalp). Since my hair is always parted down the center when I shampoo-DC, I grabbed my Magic Star Rake and began to tentatively work it through a small portion on the right side while standing under the shower head. Unbelievably, that sucker glided through with remarkable ease. I continued to slowly comb the entire right and left sides of my hair while repeating in utter disbelief, “Are you freaking kidding me?”

My hair has never been this easily detangled, even after it has been straightened; and the icing on the cake was the fact that the diluted shampoo didn’t decrease the volume of my hair. Needless to say, I was a very happy camper. Still, being the jaded PJ that I am, I was skeptical with respect to long-term results, but hopeful.

Well, it has been four months since I began experimenting with this method and it works like a charm every time. There is something about these three shampoos that produces silky results upon rinsing that aids in effective detangling, and whatever that is, I am ever so thankful for it.:yep:

I may have to try this method (it sounds very interesting); however, I do have a question because I'm confused. Some people say don't ever comb through wet hair (let it dry at least 80%) because we all know that wet hair is very fragile but then others say that they detangle in the shower or with a hair full of conditioner. Isn't that wet hair?

The last time I washed, I washed in braids and it seemed to help. This time I'm still going to try detangling in sections and with a head full of conditioner to see if this helps even more.

But I'm just curious if you're not suppose to EVER detangle on wet hair why it's okay to detangle with a head full of conditioner. That makes your hair wet too; however, I'm assuming the conditioner gives the hair slip which in essence cuts down on the hair tangling around each other. Is that it?

Curlykale

I keep my hair in braidouts (I make at least 4 braids every single night) and I use aloe juice + oil on dry hair before washing: this , along with oil rinsing, has given me the same detangling time of my relaxed days. Which means, very few minutes! No conditioner in the world equals these techniques to me, and to be honest I would have never guessed that they worked so incredibly well. (thanks to the 2 threads here that taught me so my life has changed :yep:)

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Thanks ladies. I just washed tonight (in sections) and it did seem a lot easier to work with. However, I was in a hurry and decided to dry for a few minutes under the dryer and that was a no no for me. My hair was a lot harder feeling than it is when I air dry. It just didn't have that soft feel. I won't be doing that again.

At my next wash, I'm going to try NOT putting my leave-in in prior to detangling. I think you may be onto something there. I also want that Magic Star Jumbo Rake Comb.

Maybe, with these little adjustments, my detangling issues will go away.

Great! Let me know if it worked for you as well OP. :) Good luck.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

PJaye

I may have to try this method (it sounds very interesting); however, I do have a question because I'm confused. Some people say don't ever comb through wet hair (let it dry at least 80%) because we all know that wet hair is very fragile but then others say that they detangle in the shower or with a hair full of conditioner. Isn't that wet hair?

The last time I washed, I washed in braids and it seemed to help. This time I'm still going to try detangling in sections and with a head full of conditioner to see if this helps even more.

But I'm just curious if you're not suppose to EVER detangle on wet hair why it's okay to detangle with a head full of conditioner. That makes your hair wet too; however, I'm assuming the conditioner gives the hair slip which in essence cuts down on the hair tangling around each other. Is that it?

First, I have a sincere question: Who instituted the prohibition against ever detangling on wet hair?

I would never comb my un-straightened dry or semi-dry hair because that would be begging for massive amounts of trouble; I won’t even comb my straightened hair unless it has been lubricated with a moisturizer of some kind.

I learned early on that in order to be effectively detangled, my hair must be sopping wet and heavily lubricated, which decreases friction and provides the necessary weight I need to successfully get the job done.

I’m a big proponent of people doing what works best for them, and detangling on drenched hair is the method that is most effective for me. Have you ever tried detangling on wet hair?

leiah

I always heard that you *must* detangle on wet hair with conditioner as well, so that's what I've always done

I detangle every time I wet my hair - which can be daily in the summer, 3-4 days a week in the winter.
My hair is not at all difficult to detangle, but it tangles more as it's getting longer

And I think that detangling daily on wet hair is definitely causing breakage.

I don't know why I think my hair needs to be detangled every day. Right now I always wear it curly in a bun, in a few months i'll do wash and gos.
So i'm going to cut down to once per week and maybe try some of the ideas in this thread

Onhergrind09

I only detangle my hair is under 2 conditions: (1) When my hair is coated with a detangling rinse out conditioner, under running water, with a large tooth comb or (2) After DCing when I've already applied my leave-in's, sealed, and my hair is at least 80% dry. Otherwise I'm just asking for trouble.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
:wave: princessdi, long time no speak. I didn't read all comments but here's my take:

I've always struggled with detangling my relaxed hair but have changed up my routine as of late and have found great success.

Pre wash: apply wheat germ oil and properly detangle to remove as many shed hairs as possible.

Wash: Minimize sulfates in the regi; wash gently to avoid hair tangling back up.

LI: use a lotion (SSI coco or Bee Mine hair milk) for slip and detangling first before applying my moisture (Bee Mine Luscious) and sealing (avocado oil). My staples are listed in my LHCF blog.

regina07

I only detangle on wet hair - preferably under running water. Water helps the comb slide through my hair and unknots tangles. I follow detangling with putting my hair in 4-6twists.

I don't know about the 'rule' never to detangle wet hair. Detangling on dry hair gives me excessive breakage. If I detangle in-between co-washes, I saturate my hair with avj/glycerin/water mixture and apply shea butter to the ends.

HoneyCoated

I'm on a hair journey and I'm currently on a relaxer stretch. A good "detangler" usually helps me when working with the 2 different textures. The Mane n' Tail detangler helps me to ease through the knots. I haven't had any of it in a while but it worked for me.

kellistarr

I've been pre-pooing my hair. It's not a new technique, but it was new for me because I didn't fully understand the reason behind it. My way of pre-pooing is not the same as deep conditioning on dry hair, which I also do.

With pre-poo, I apply the conditioner to rinsed hair before I shampoo, then I began to detangle (in the shower). Regardless of my hairstyle, I only comb my hair when I wash it, so I have lots of shed hair that wants to come out. If I shampoo with all of this shed hair in my head, that leads to massive tangles. Therefore, I detangle with a conditioner, rinse it out with all of the shed hair and my hair is detangled when I shampoo. I follow that up with conditioner that I let sit in my hair 5 to 10 minutes. My hair is very easy to work with when I do this extra pre-poo step. It is extra but saves me a lot of headache and hair.

princessdi

First, I have a sincere question: Who instituted the prohibition against ever detangling on wet hair?

I would never comb my un-straightened dry or semi-dry hair because that would be begging for massive amounts of trouble; I won’t even comb my straightened hair unless it has been lubricated with a moisturizer of some kind.

I learned early on that in order to be effectively detangled, my hair must be sopping wet and heavily lubricated, which decreases friction and provides the necessary weight I need to successfully get the job done.

I’m a big proponent of people doing what works best for them, and detangling on drenched hair is the method that is most effective for me. Have you ever tried detangling on wet hair?

Detangling on wet hair is where I have the most problems. If my hair is about 80% dry. I don't have as many problems. I guess it's just different for everyone.

princessdi

:wave: @princessdi, long time no speak. I didn't read all comments but here's my take:

I've always struggled with detangling my relaxed hair but have changed up my routine as of late and have found great success.

Pre wash: apply wheat germ oil and properly detangle to remove as many shed hairs as possible.

Wash: Minimize sulfates in the regi; wash gently to avoid hair tangling back up.

LI: use a lotion (SSI coco or Bee Mine hair milk) for slip and detangling first before applying my moisture (Bee Mine Luscious) and sealing (avocado oil). My staples are listed in my LHCF blog.

Thanks girl. How are you applying the wheat germ oil. I'm assuming it's like giving yourself a hot oil treatment. Is that right? Someone else mentioned oil rinses. I may try this next.

divachyk

Thanks girl. How are you applying the wheat germ oil. I'm assuming it's like giving yourself a hot oil treatment. Is that right? Someone else mentioned oil rinses. I may try this next.
@princessdi - I don't heat it up and I don't even consider it a prepoo as I just slap it on and detangle. Some do consider applying oil prewash as oil rinsing. I just consider it detangling. After I apply the oil and detangle, I immediately jump in the shower and shampoo. I find a good detangling session prewash keeps the tangles away post wash. If I short change myself on prewash detangling, it's heck to pay post wash.

princessdi

Sounds good. I'm going to give it a try, and by the way I just purchased the Magic Star Jumbo Rake Comb, and I think I'm going to LOVE IT!!!!!

HanaKuroi

I cannot detangle on wet hair. I lose too much. If it is almost dry it is fine. If it is damp it is too wet to detangle. I don't understand why this is. I slather on oils and conditioners and still lose too much. Semi dry detangling works better. I lose at least half as much.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I cannot detangle on wet hair. I lose too much. If it is almost dry it is fine. If it is damp it is too wet to detangle. I don't understand why this is. I slather on oils and conditioners and still lose too much. Semi dry detangling works better. I lose at least half as much.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

same for me :) :) :) :)

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

happycakes

I know this thread is old, however I wanted to post my favorite detangling videos to help both relax and natural ladies that are having problems with tangles. I've tried her detangling techniques and it does works for me as a natural - on dry hair.

I hope these videos are helpful ladies.

I'm on a hair journey and I'm currently on a relaxer stretch. A good "detangler" usually helps me when working with the 2 different textures. The Mane n' Tail detangler helps me to ease through the knots. I haven't had any of it in a while but it worked for me.

divachyk

A detangler is a must for me! I like several different detanglers --
Mane n Tail
Shea Moisture for Kids
Cantu Beauty for Kids