Determined More Than Ever Now.....Random Thoughts !!!!!

Traycee

O kay.... So I'm hanging with my Big Sis...And she's like yeah I gave your blog info to this person or that person....They need help ...I gave them your email....( She is so proud of me by the way)...

Then she start laughing....And says, " My friends in six months are going to ask..How's your sisters hair ?? I'll be like ....Oh she cut it off and dyed it blonde..."

I laughed but it bothered me because it's true...I change my look , my hair way too often....My sister a few days ago talked me out of coloring my hair...because of hair health ( I wanted Tyra's color when she was red)....

So I am promising myself right now with witnesses and before God... I am going to grow my hair....No major hair cuts (just trims) ...No major changing my hair color ...Nothing until I meet my final goal of waist-length.....

Honestly it is no longer about growing hair...But proving I can stick with something if I set my mind to it...I'm not the flaky little girl I used to be...

I'm done ranting now.....

Is any one else growing their hair to prove something to other people ????

MrsWatson

im trying to prove my sister wrong. she told me i "dont have growing hair", whatever that means. My hair now is the longest its been since I started handling my own hair health. But she doesn't know it, I hide my hair when i go around her now. Once I meet my goal of APL in December, i will go to her house just a swangin' it! I can't wait! :yep::yep:

drasgrl

I'm not trying to prove anything to other people just myself. My hair would be a lot longer if I had stuck with growing it years ago. I tended to get very lazy with it especially with keeping it moisturized. Because I would get so lazy about taking care of it I was stuck at SL for a long time.

JustKiya

Not a main encouragement, but I still get a lil hot thinking about my mom's comment at Thanksgiving 2006 (yes, 2006!)
"Poor Kiya, you never did have much hair, did you?" :perplexed I didn't respond how I wanted to (as that would have been disrespectful to lay her out about all the BAD hair habits she taught me), but I for SURE want to floss my HUGE hair for her..... Hurmphhh!

The main person I want to prove something to is myself, though.

Christa438

I've already proved to myself that I can grow my hair longer when I started practicing healthy hair care (stopped mistreating my hair with all the heat/chemicals, & started stretching, dcing, moisturizing and sealing, etc.) Now Im trying to reach BSL by the end of the year to prove to loved ones and friends that I can have long pretty hair and they can too IF they want. To be honest if i reach APL they'll be speechless so Im aiming for BSL so I can really stick it to them, lol. Im so determined but I feel more confident that if i stick to my regimen I'll see their shocked faces. cant wait!

Last edited:

mrsjohnson75

I'm proving myself wrong....for years I really thought that my hair could not grow. Now I realize that it can.:grin:

charmtreese

Im growing my hair to prove to my mama that I can do it. I think she is starting to believe it a little, but she still has some doubt about me getting to BSL. :rolleyes:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I really want to prove it to myself--if so many of the women on here can do it then why can't I? I must admit that about 40% of my motivation is external. I want to turn on DH, show DD that she can have it too, and prove to certain people (MIL, SIL, longtime friend, mother, sister, and SHS) that IT CAN BE DONE!!!

Flavia

To prove to myself I can stick to SOMETHING. The only thing I have EVER been able to be consistent with is higher education. Weight loss, relationships, friendships, etc. I never put in the appropriate energy to make the experience or relationships a success, but with the help of God, a couple thousand hair therapists, and my mama in my ear, I am sure I can meet this goal. Could working on my relationship be next? :grin:

prospurr4

First of all, I thank God for this site. Because of the generous people here, my hair is thriving. At the start of my hair journey, I had a couple of things to prove to myself.

Growing up, I was brainwashed into thinking that my "bad" 4b texture could never grow as long as my sisters' hair, who are 3c and 4a...and it never did.:nono: We're all adults, now, and my hair is the longest (and healthiest) in my family, including my sisters. At family gatherings, everyone looks at me in awe. I've tried to give my sisters haircare tips, but they're not hearing it.:ohwell:

Now, I want to prove that I CAN get to my ultimate goal of tailbone length. So the journey continues....

miami74

I want to prove to myself that I can grow my hair to lengths that it's never been at. I also want to prove to myself that I can become a DIYer. All my life, I've depended on others to do my hair and my hair hasn't really thrived all that much. I've always been stuck at the same length. Now I want to see a drastic change in my hair through my own haircare. This site and all the wonderful ladies here are definitely a blessing.

Crissi

Well youknow black dark skinned girls with 4a/b hair cannot grow it long...especially not natural. That is a big motivation for me because i know it can! I know somepeople say do it for you, but sometimes its so fulfilling to do something to prove a point i dare someone to tell me im lying! (anywhoo technically that IS doing it for you, because you want to prove the point!)...im done..

Crissi, x

locabouthair

I'm proving myself wrong....for years I really thought that my hair could not grow. Now I realize that it can.:grin:

And it sure did:yep:Great progress!

All ym life I got teased about my hair type and the fact thta my hair couldnt grow. I've had people tell me if they had my hair they'd get a weave. But to me, it's about proving to myself that i can do something i set my mind to.

Qualitee

Wow I had to read it over and over again.I thought you dyed your hair blond. Well I want to prove everyone in my family wrong ,who think that weave is the only answer to nice hair. I want to show them that you can look good with your own hair not just weave all the time. Mostly to be honest I want people to want me hair. I want the complements and I dont mind the envy. I know it may sound wrong but I want to show off all my hard work and to spread a message that black hair can grow as along and as healthy as you want it to.:yep:

naturalgurl

I'm more into healthy hair. Growing will just be a benefit BUT my sister and her friends are all waiting to see if using all natural stuff like fruit, yogurt and natural oils will make it grow just as long or fast.(whew run on sentence!) So far my hair has grown MORE than it ever has, especially since I don't use any BSS products. They think I'm weird or a fool, but we'll see who's laughing. Also my hair has never been this thick!(well when I was around 8 and 9 it was, then I started doing it)

locabouthair

I'm more into healthy hair. Growing will just be a benefit BUT my sister and her friends are all waiting to see if using all natural stuff like fruit, yogurt and natural oils will make it grow just as long or fast.(whew run on sentence!) So far my hair has grown MORE than it ever has, especially since I don't use any BSS products. They think I'm weird or a fool, but we'll see who's laughing. Also my hair has never been this thick!(well when I was around 8 and 9 it was, then I started doing it)

I love your hair:yep:

MyJa

I am very determined to grow my hair. My family is very ignorant about healthy hair care practices. They can make some very offensive statements at times. The other day, my mom said, "Well you know your hair ain't like ours." :wallbash:

Proving my family wrong is one of the reasons I began researching hair care tips for black women. My hair has never even been full shoulder length. My hair was always so damaged that most stylists would just keep it cut at neck-length (the bottom of my neck).

I remember when I was in high school, my hair suddenly started growing. After reading the board, I realized that it was a result of the hair practices I was using at the time. At the time, I was washing my hair every three days. Even though I was getting results, I began listening to my relatives tell me that "washing my hair too much was going to dry it out." I stopped and then my hair began breaking off.

Another reason that I'm determined to grow my own hair is- I am sooooo tired of weaves. :nono: I'm tired of spending money on fake hair. I'm tired of the weaves getting tangled after 2-3 weeks.

Also, I'm tired of being at the mercy of a hair stylist that has hair that looks as damaged as mine. :blush: I want to be able to do my own hair. I'm tired of waiting in the shop all day long. The last couple of times I went to a stylist, they ended up doing the opposite of what I asked. I've had stylists cut my hair and color it in a completely different style than what I requested. As of March of 2008, I have been doing my own hair. This way if it doesn't get done right, I have no one to blame but myself.

Lastly, I do think that growing hair can become a spiritual journey- at least it has for me. Growing my hair has taught me how to be patient and wait for God. Society teaches us that we should get the things that we want instantly. Growing hair is the exact opposite, it can become frustrating at times. It definitely requires patience and prayer!

SparklingFlame

I am very determined to grow my hair. My family is very ignorant about healthy hair care practices. They can make some very offensive statements at times. The other day, my mom said, "Well you know your hair ain't like ours." :wallbash:

Proving my family wrong is one of the reasons I began researching hair care tips for black women. My hair has never even been full shoulder length. My hair was always so damaged that most stylists would just keep it cut at neck-length (the bottom of my neck).

I remember when I was in high school, my hair suddenly started growing. After reading the board, I realized that it was a result of the hair practices I was using at the time. At the time, I was washing my hair every three days. Even though I was getting results, I began listening to my relatives tell me that "washing my hair too much was going to dry it out." I stopped and then my hair began breaking off.

Another reason that I'm determined to grow my own hair is- I am sooooo tired of weaves. :nono: I'm tired of spending money on fake hair. I'm tired of the weaves getting tangled after 2-3 weeks.

Also, I'm tired of being at the mercy of a hair stylist that has hair that looks as damaged as mine. :blush: I want to be able to do my own hair. I'm tired of waiting in the shop all day long. The last couple of times I went to a stylist, they ended up doing the opposite of what I asked. I've had stylists cut my hair and color it in a completely different style than what I requested. As of March of 2008, I have been doing my own hair. This way if it doesn't get done right, I have no one to blame but myself.

Lastly, I do think that growing hair can become a spiritual journey- at least it has for me. Growing my hair has taught me how to be patient and wait for God. Society teaches us that we should get the things that we want instantly. Growing hair is the exact opposite, it can become frustrating at times. It definitely requires patience and prayer!
What an excellent post!

Lavendar

Beautiful post MyJa! Blessings on your journey!

miami74

Wow, that's deep. I can relate to a lot of the things you are saying though. Good luck on your hair journey.