did my hair revert?

Mercie

Lately ever since I started moisturizing and sealing my hair has felt dry and brittle. Then it becomes really nappy and I don't think it is just the new growth.

I read somewhere ( http://sawaal.ibibo.com/beauty-and-...urizer-relaxed-natural-black-hair-571270.html )
that using too much of a moisturizer can make your hair revert back to its natural texture. Why is that.. you can wash your hair without having it revert.

I have been using A LOT of moisturizer. :wallbash:
Do you think this is what possibly happened to my hair?
If so.. what should I do? Get another relaxer?
I tried to flat iron my hair but, it's still nappy.

luckiestdestiny

Hi. I'm a natural, but I've been relaxed before my BC. Anyways I looked at the article and it states that it can revert if you are a NATURAL. It's not talking about relaxed heads.Meaning if I press my hair you're darn tooting it could revert if I use too much moisture. That is not the case with a relaxer. It breaks the bonds of your hair and there is no "reverting" from that w/o cutting it off. So in no way should you try to RE relax!

Things to consider: you were underprocessed. That could cause you to feel like your hair is "reverting" so to speak.

Or

You are just using the wrong products or your technique is off (flat ironing) OR your flat iron needs to be recycled for one that gets the job done. What makes me think this: you say you straighten it with a flat iron but it's still acting like natural hair. I flat iron my hair and my hair looks like it's relaxed when I do it and I have 4a hair. So if you do the comb chase method, combined with a good wash and conditioner, plus some moisture, and heat protection (I use moisture block by sabino) you should be able to keep your hair looking as straight as you want until your next relaxer.

HTH

You should examine: your products, your straightening tools, and if you've underprocessed to take the next step of what you should do.

Last edited:

Mercie

Hi. I'm a natural, but I've been relaxed before my BC. Anyways I looked at the article and it states that it can revert if you are a NATURAL. It's not talking about relaxed heads.Meaning if I press my hair you're darn tooting it could revert if I use too much moisture. That is not the case with a relaxer. It breaks the bonds of your hair and there is no "reverting" from that w/o cutting it off. So in no way should you try to RE relax!

Things to consider: you were underprocessed. That could cause you to feel like your hair is "reverting" so to speak.

Or

You are just using the wrong products or your technique is off (flat ironing) OR your flat iron needs to be recycled for one that gets the job done. What makes me think this: you say you straighten it with a flat iron but it's still acting like natural hair. I flat iron my hair and my hair looks like it's relaxed when I do it and I have 4a hair. So if you do the comb chase method, combined with a good wash and conditioner, plus some moisture, and heat protection (I use moisture block by sabino) you should be able to keep your hair looking as straight as you want until your next relaxer.

HTH

You should examine: your products, your straightening tools, and if you've underprocessed to take the next step of what you should do.
Ohh, that makes sense. Thank you.

My hair isn't long so is it still necessary to do the comb chase method?
Maybe I should raise the heat level on the flat iron? I lowered it because when I was using the heat protection on my hair and put the flat iron over it my hair would make crackling noises.

I don't think I'm underprocessed because, I got my relaxer a while ago and this is the first time I'm having this problem.

Americka

Or

HTH

ITA with the entire post, particularly the bolded.

luckiestdestiny

Ohh, that makes sense. Thank you.

My hair isn't long so is it still necessary to do the comb chase method?I like to do it, but it's not necessary.
Maybe I should raise the heat level on the flat iron?Depends on how high you're talking. As long as you're reasonable I don't think it should be a problem. I lowered it because when I was using the heat protection on my hair and put the flat iron over it my hair would make crackling noises??? Was your hair completely dry and did you do it on clean hair? Make sure your hair is freshly washed, conditioned, and put a little moisturizer in there and seal it. Let it dry and then flat iron. Although there are some that do the wet to dry method. If you're doing that you will see steam and hear a sizzle. If you're doing the dry method, which is what I do (completely dry hair) you shouldn't have that problem.

I don't think I'm underprocessed because, I got my relaxer a while ago and this is the first time I'm having this problem.

Mercie

My hair wasn't freshly washed or conditioned.
I didn't put anymoisturizer in the hair before pressing it.
edit: I just remembered I put Pink Lusters moisturizing hair lotion in it before I FI
I just put a little bit of oil to soften it.

What is the wet to dry method?

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

My hair wasn't freshly washed or conditioned.
I didn't put anymoisturizer in the hair before pressing it.
edit: I just remembered I put Pink Lusters moisturizing hair lotion in it before I FI
I just put a little bit of oil to soften it.

What is the wet to dry method?
'

You'll have to do a search for that. There are some that press their hair while it's still wet. I just don't trust it. But it works for others. I'm not the expert to that method.

Probably the sizzle is coming from the fact that you put the pink lusters on it and the fact that the hair wasn't freshly washed or cowashed.

You want to only flat iron your hair when it's freshly washed and then you would have the results that you're looking for.

Also I'd get rid of the pink oil but that's just me. Especially before pressing, but also in general it's not the best moisturizer in the world.

Pandora1975

My suggestion is to lose the pink oil. When I was relaxed, I used that stuff, and I believe it was a large part of what was wrong with my hair.

Mercie

I know that pink oil is bad because of the mineral oil in it. I only used it though because the other moisturizers just make my hair damp and then leave it very dry. IDK What to do. x___x

jerseygurl

Not a new member
I know that pink oil is bad because of the mineral oil in it. I only used it though because the other moisturizers just make my hair damp and then leave it very dry. IDK What to do. x___x

Moisturizers should only be used sparingly. If your hair is wet then you used too much. I would definitely lose the pink oil, it used to make my hair heavy and dry. And also like LD said DO NOT flat iron hair that isn't freshly washed, not good. Try Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch leave-in. It has helped my hair a lot, maybe it will work for you. Good luck

Mercie

oh.. yea I definetly used too much then.

What is the best way to moisturize and seal your hair if you don't want to use too much product.
I've been doing it in sections..

I have heard that NTM silk touch works for a lot of people.
Does it work for people with really dry relaxed hair?

luckiestdestiny

oh.. yea I definetly used too much then.

What is the best way to moisturize and seal your hair if you don't want to use too much product.
I've been doing it in sections..

I have heard that NTM silk touch works for a lot of people.
Does it work for people with really dry relaxed hair?[/quote]

Have you seen sylver2? You should look up her fokti. Her hair is 4bish I believe and she's almost waist length and she's relaxed. She wears by NTM, and says her hair is very dry. Look up her threads for tips or even pm her.