Did you have success with Biotin?

Have you had success with Biotin?

• Total voters

prtybrwnis

Vote yes or no regarding your success with Biotin then post your experience. I have been using biotin 5mg for almost a month and now I'm getting bad acne. Very hard pimples! I was told to drink plenty of water, which I have been doing. I drink about 51 ounces a day. I read in a post about using castor oil, but I want to get feedback from my peers. I'm trying to decide if I should continue the Biotin:wallbash:

msjones

Vote yes or no regarding your success with Biotin then post your experience. I have been using biotin 5mg for almost a month and now I'm getting bad acne. Very hard pimples! I was told to drink plenty of water, which I have been doing. I drink about 51 ounces a day. I read in a post about using castor oil, but I want to get feedback from my peers. I'm trying to decide if I should continue the Biotin:wallbash:

Hey. My boyfriend had actually been taking Biotin, but he too started getting pimples. He's 23 and has NEVER had bad skin ever before. So, he switched to a Mega Hair vitamin, which has biotin AND other nutrients, which I think evens everything out.

MissMusic

I recieved great results with biotin, but horrible acne. I still haven't completely recovered, but I stopped using it to get my skin back under control. Now I'm taking Futurbiotics Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins and so far no problems.

Luvmylife

Honestly...I couldn't take it long enough to tell. I broke out in huge painful thistles along my jawbone that wouldn't go away for anything!:nono: I drank a gang of water, cut my dosage down to 500mcgs every other day, took it with B vitamins, and still my face looked like an oatmeal cookie! I couldn't hang. MY DH is too much of a clear skin freak to be jackin' my face up like that:grin:

The only success I had with biotin was longer nails.

MsAngie

I have been using biotin, and I think I have gotten good results. Well, it may be a combination of the vitamins I take(particularly biotin) and the way that I take care of it. My face really doesn't break out, fortunately. Like you, I drink a lot of water. I think the key to taking biotin is to not take it by itself, and to play with your dosage. I don't think that it is good to start taking it in a large dose without seeing how your body--especially your face--will react to it. HTH!!

Mortons

To me, Biotin was not worth it. It was causing horrid skin problems, for growth you could be getting with the help of MTG or BT and good hair care techniques

hair_wit_favor

I think it can be contributing with the growth that I've been experiencing, it's 6 weeks and I have 1 in. of new growth--I also think the co-washing contributed..not really sure. I take 5mg of biotin/day...I havent experienced any breakouts either--I hear you're suppose to drink lots of water when taking biotin--so I make sure I get my 64oz at the least.

Last edited:

hair_wit_favor

I forgot to add, I read somewhere it's best to take biotin with another 'b' vitamin to avoid breakouts--I take the b-12 complex, so that's another reason I may have not experienced any breakouts...

prtybrwnis

Thanks everyone. I am already taking the Futurebiotics Hair, Skin, and Nails in addition to the 5mg of biotin. I also use BT. I'm thinking I may forgo the biotin instead of adding more b vitamins. I am already struggling taking the BIG tablets of Futurebiotics!:grin:

MahoganyRain

I have only been taking it for about 4 weeks now and haven't noticed much growth. I haven't been checking though. I take it with a bunch of other vitamins too (MSM, Hair Vit, Super Omega, Gelatin). I think that the MSM is blocking the biotin from causing me acne. I naturally experince breakouts all the time (had them for years) and my face is more clear and smooth than it has been in years.

hOnii

I have only been taking it for about 4 weeks now and haven't noticed much growth. I haven't been checking though. I take it with a bunch of other vitamins too (MSM, Hair Vit, Super Omega, Gelatin). I think that the MSM is blocking the biotin from causing me acne. I naturally experince breakouts all the time (had them for years) and my face is more clear and smooth than it has been in years.

just wait! it will come... well, maybe since you are taking a hair vitamin with biotin in it and not straight biotin you will be okay. i was on msm before and that didn't stop me from breaking out.

i just switched to puritan pride 5000mcg so I will see if I get any results. I'll wait another month to judge results. I'm wondering if the bad skin that I now have weighes out the growth to come... we will see. If not, I'm going to stop taking it.

Seeking8Rights

My vote was yes.

I take 5g as well and I haven't had any problems. I don't increase my water inake because of the biotin either.

hothair

Well I take a bunch of vitamins but noticed a difference in my strands when I stopped biotin for about a month- it works for me- i did break out (I never had this problem) once or twice but that totally disappeared when i included a vitamin b-complex supplement....

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I take 5000mcg of Biotin along with a b-complex and other vits (I take lots of dietary supplements) and I am happy with what I see.

If you already have medium or thick hair you might not notice the benefits as much as someone with thinning hair. Biotin is recommended for people who are balding or have thinning hair.

Another positive with Biotin is that it helps to metabolize fats and carbohydrates.

Seeking8Rights

I also wanted to add that Biotin without the amino acid methionine is nothing. Biotin doesn't work without it. So, if you are taking biotin only for hair growth without MSM or an Amino Acid supplement that contains methionine, you will not see any extra growth outside of the average hair growth.

Just an FYI :look:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I also wanted to add that Biotin without the amino acid methionine is nothing. Biotin doesn't work without it. So, if you are taking biotin only for hair growth without MSM or an Amino Acid supplement that contains methionine, you will not see any extra growth outside of the average hair growth.

Just an FYI :look:

I take MSM too. :grin: That's probably why I see the benefit. Thanks for the info. Keclee! I have to add that tip to the Fine/Thin sticky...

SunnyDelight

Boitin did work for me and my hair. I initially had breakouts all over my face and neck . . . which is not cute on a 40+ year old (or anybody for that matter). Anyway, my lovely LHCF sisters told me to up my water and take B-50 to rid my body of the excess. No skin problems since and nicer texture/faster growing NG.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Biotin is awesome! I love it. I take it more for the thickening properties rather than for growth. Not only is my hair improving, but my skin is flawless and my nails grow way too fast. Here's what I think could be moving it along: I don't take Biotin alone. I take it in conjuction with two other B vitamins: pantothenic acid and b-complex. I also take a multivitamin and make sure that I'm drinking tons of water. Those two strategies have been key for me: take all B's together along with a good multi and DON'T slack on water intake. I have absolutely no break-outs or problems at all! :yep:

Puddles

On Cloud 9
I forgot to add, I read somewhere it's best to take biotin with another 'b' vitamin to avoid breakouts--I take the b-12 complex, so that's another reason I may have not experienced any breakouts...

[size=+1] I take a b-complex but still had breakouts with biotin. I stopped taking biotin.....wasn't worth all the acne.[/size]

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
[SIZE=+1] I take a b-complex but still had breakouts with biotin. I stopped taking biotin.....wasn't worth all the acne.[/SIZE]

Yes. Take ALL B's together with a multivitamin, which helps break down the nutrients in the B's. I think B-Complex is good, but when you take biotin, take it with B vitamins together at the same time.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
Yes. Take ALL B's together with a multivitamin, which helps break down the nutrients in the B's. I think B-Complex is good, but when you take biotin, take it with B vitamins together at the same time.

[size=+1] I did....I've always taken a multi and a b-complex for overall health. I added the biotin to see if it would do anything for my hair....it didn't do anything but break me out. And I already drink 64-80 ounces of water a day.

Since I stopped taking biotin....my skin is back to normal. No more added vitamins for me.
[/size]

prtybrwnis

I'm not going to quit yet. I'm going to try to add more water and B-complex as some of you suggested. I am looking for more thickening vs. growth any way. My hair grows when I stop cutting it! I just have very fine/thin hair.

LawyerBarbie07

I had the worst summer of my life last year trying to take this stuff....I had to go on Retin-A to get rid of the huge painful pustules that this left on my face...The only way I've been able to tolerate it has been in my GNC Hair Skin and Nail vits.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
[SIZE=+1] I did....I've always taken a multi and a b-complex for overall health. I added the biotin to see if it would do anything for my hair....it didn't do anything but break me out. And I already drink 64-80 ounces of water a day.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Since I stopped taking biotin....my skin is back to normal. No more added vitamins for me.[/SIZE]

I am so sorry that this happened to you.:nono: For thickening, I am definitely seeing a difference using castor oil. My hair is getting much thicker. ;)

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I had the worst summer of my life last year trying to take this stuff....I had to go on Retin-A to get rid of the huge painful pustules that this left on my face...The only way I've been able to tolerate it has been in my GNC Hair Skin and Nail vits.

WOW!!! :eek::eek:!! I'm so sorry about this. I'm glad that the GNC HSN is working for you!! :kiss:

Empress Yahudah

Yep I take 7000mcg and dont have break outs..I take em at night with my Bcomplex..I take other vitamins too... my hair has gotten thicker, hair is growing good, skin is clear but I always had clear skin I attribute that to Clinique:grin: and lots of water... and my nails grow fast

deejoy

[SIZE=+1] I did....I've always taken a multi and a b-complex for overall health. I added the biotin to see if it would do anything for my hair....it didn't do anything but break me out. And I already drink 64-80 ounces of water a day.

Since I stopped taking biotin....my skin is back to normal. No more added vitamins for me.
[/SIZE]

Me too. I took them with super B Complex and still had breakouts.