Did you know Giovanni direct leave in changed it's formula?

werenumber2

I'd be interested to try the new one out. The soybean protein in the old version was too much for my hair, and it looks like the new formula is protein-free.

VirGoViXxEn

I was able to find the older version with the oil ingridients at Ricky's in NYC. I've never tried this product so im very excited. I will be so disappointment if I love it and cant find the original version. :nono:

Honi

There is no board.
I emailed the company and this was the response I got.
Re: Ingredient Change

Thank you for contacting Giovanni in regards to our Direct Leave in Conditioner.

Giovanni has traditionally from time to time, reformulated its products as natural ingredients and fragrances become increasingly available. Any time we reformulate a product, we rigorously test it in terms of performance. We strive to make a product as natural and as organic as possible, all while maintaining our vision of superior performance.

We feel the ingredient changes made to our Direct Leave in Conditioner Shampoo has made it a natural product without altering superior performance.

Due to the chain of supply certain Giovanni products may have earlier ingredient statements so one should always refer to the ingredient label as affixed to or printed on each product.

We are sorry that you did not like the new change.
Whateva man!

Shoediva

I just received my product I ordered last week. Although I cant compare Giovanni Direct Leave-in to the old formula. I did try it on my new growth(almost 6 months post) last night and I like how it soften my ng and relaxed hair. My hair was soft all over and I did not feel or look greasy.

The real test will be when I try it on my DD hair, as she is who I purchased the products for:) Her texture is not like mine.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

It seems like everyone is changing there formula. I wonder if they are using cheaper products because of the economy or are they so called making them better.

ETA: No wonder they have been turning up in every Marshall's or TjMaxx.

Last edited:

InNeedofHairapy

the new one was THICK THICK THICK...and I did not like it. I won't be using it again & now have to find a new leave in....using it on dry hair was like trying to put wet concrete through some grass or something...just..not a good feel

MsButterfli

figures soon as i try something with rave reviews i get the funky version...i put it in my hair dry and it left like this filmy feeling on my hair :( i dont know if it will be the same in wet hair tho, but ima see if Whole Foods will take it back ..

alexstin

Well, this isn't good. I bought a new bottle recently and it does have aloe in it. I haven't used it yet. My other polka dot bottles have the rosemary. Guess I better try and stock up on the old formula.:ohwell:

Lucky's Mom

I know I sound like a broken record - but - sheesh.... this is why I don't rely on a company - they ALWAYS change something....
I am glad I make my own... Same recipe - every time. Same results.

Your Cheeziness

Nope, not the same. It's too thick for me. Now I'm stuck with 3 bottles because I wasn't paying attention. I'm just going to dilute it with water and it should be better until I use it up.

blksndrlla

that's funny. I bought the old one at tj maxx for cheap, but I HATED it and trashed it. I love the new one.

different folks...different strokes.

Marhia

Didn't know there was a new formula, but I ran to see what all of my bottles look like and they are all with dots. I don't buy mine in the store though because they never have it anywhere except ulta so I order them online, in fact I just stocked up so I'm going to have to check my bottles when they come in and see if I have a leaf

mimi0410

Im really upset... it never dawned on me that it was my leave in making my hair so freaking dry! I chalked it up to antibiotics and this crazy winter we've been having. Ive gone thru almost a complete bottle :sad:. I found this thread rushed home to take a look and sure enough---dots no leaves on the bottle...it says Direct Leave-In Weightless Moisture Con...now that I think about it, the consistency is DEF thicker. HATES it!! I guess this is a lesson learned I need to pay closer attention :wallbash:

Tiffanita

I diluted my new formula one this weekend with water, and it was much better. My hair detangled almost like the old formula!

SimplyBlessed

WHOLE FOODS WAS HAVING A SELL ON THIS STUFF (MIGHT STILL BE GOING)...I THINK $4 A BOTTLE...HOPEFULLY ITS NOT B/C OF THE NEW FORMULA TAKING OVER

filthyfresh

NO WONDER MY HAIR HATES THIS STUFF!!!
I searched high and low for this & I was PISSED when it didn't act right.
I'm glad I'm not losing my mind now.
Hmph. Now I'm stuck with this useless bottle. Smh.

loshed

Straight out of the bottle the old formula wins but I added some water and glycerin to the new one to thin it out and I'm liking it better. The old formula was hit and miss. Some days it worked perfectly while other days my hair just wasn't having it. Watered down new formula works every time. Plus, I don't have to restock as often. I'm happy(that is until they switch it up again in a year or two).

Last edited:

Taleah2009

ok, soo freaking pissed. i bought a bottle a few weeks, and i used it the first time this weekend. i am so dippy, when i bought it, i was like this bottle looks a different, but i thought i was tripping. so when i used it the first time, i am thinking.. hmm.... this is not as watery as my first bottle, its more creamy. it made me nervous. i like the other one, its was soo light. this one, i was nervous, so i had to use a very light hand, i didnt want to weigh down my curls. but talk about a pissed person. any alternatives for a lighter leave in? i dont really like creamy ones when i wear a press.

hothair

I think the formula has been changed AGAIN :mad: Its the one with the green polka dots and says EcoChic Technology, I HATE IT. It makes my hair "wet" instead of melting into it, and I ordered 3 bottles, I'm going to try and offload on ebay now I need to search for a new staple leave in. Le sigh.:ohwell:

SmileyNY

Oh no! ...And I just bought a bulk pack with 3 full-sized bottles from amazon.

Let me check the package...

Yep... It's the new one.

This is my first time buying it. I'm sad that I never got a chance to try the original formula :ohwell:

ETA:

These are the ingredients:

Sent from my iPhone. It does EVERYTHING :grin: ...except make calls :ohwell:

hothair

:lol: The ingredient list looks good though, maybe I should calm down and give it a chance. Its just sooo annoying I had the perfect way of applying the other one now I have to re-learn. *Sigh*

SmileyNY

:lol: The ingredient list looks good though, maybe I should calm down and give it a chance. Its just sooo annoying I had the perfect way of applying the other one now I have to re-learn. *Sigh*

Maybe they found out about your complaint & changed it for the better lol.

Let me know how it compares to the original, b/c I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone. It does EVERYTHING :grin: ...except make calls :ohwell: