Didn't Realize SL Would be the Headache That it is.

LdyKamz

Is shoulder length really the "awkward stage". Now that I have reached SL I can't do a thing with my hair. When my hair was shorter I wore my hair out with headbands because it was cute. Or I would do lots of pin curls for a curly afro kinda look. I quickly got bored with that but got to SL in no time. I couldn't wait so I could do more styles. But now it seems style options are even more limited.:sad: I bun a lot and even though my hair is short it is very thick so the bun doesn't look that anorexic. But it is so boring. I can't wear it down because it just looks awkward plus the ends literally catch on my clothes since the ends are literally touching my shoulder instead of laying over it which is no good. :nono: And now my hair is a little too long to do the styles I used to do. Ugh! I am just so frustrated and I hear this is the hardest stage. SL-APL. Why? Do I have to seriously wait another 3-6 months before I can enjoy my hair? This is just the worst! Words of advice/encouragement please.

I wore a lot of braidouts at that length. I could wear them and it wasn't an issue because the shrinkage stopped my hair from reaching my shoulders. As a natural, I could also do a lot of puffs.

Yes, I agree with braidouts. Also try bantu knotouts, flexirod sets, and styles like tuck-n-roll and half-up half- down styles work good for SL hair.

I want to try flexirods. Was thinking about trying this weekend. With braidouts and bantu knotouts I feel like my hair just doesn't look right. I am relaxed but the curls of course shortens the length and it just looks like if it was a little shorter or a little longer it would look perfect. Maybe the flexiriods will save me. Thanks!

Oh I just read again. So, to keep the ends from touching your clothes I guess you'd have to curl or roll the back tighter. Since I have a lot of shrinkage and getting to that point myself I also just let the back shrink up a little just above my collar if I'm trying to wear it straight. I do this when I where the half-up half-down style.

You're welcome! Yes, I wore flexirods a lot when I was relaxed and they've worked well now that I'm natural too.

Shoulder length for natural hair is sooooo awkward. You're not a TWA anymore, but you're hair isn't long enough to be able to do much more than you could at TWA stage. I wore lots of head bands to help make it look somewhat even (that whole natural mullet thing drove me craaazzy. I still have it, but with length, it is so much easier to work with). Things started to perk up for me around 19ish months relaxer-free and over the summer I was able to ditch the headbands for good. Getting to APL made a big difference. Now I'm a little past APL heading toward BSL and it just keeps getting easier/better and I can do more styles than I could before. So hang in there!! I like the braidout idea, stretched styles will probably make things easier.

You could experiment with updoes using hair clips like banana clips to keep your hair from rubbing on your clothes.

@KammyGirl, you could still do those styles but pat your hair down or wear it at the top of your head so that your ends aren't hanging down by your shoulders. :poke:

I don't know how you feel abou shrinkage but when my hair was SL, I found puffs to help keep it away from my clothes. I braided it every night and baggied and then combed it out every morning. Because I used S Curl as my moisturizer. Shrinkage was the norm but that meant my hair was up and away from my clothes and face and neck so no greasiness and no fear of friction from clothes:
roPuffSept12008Justoutofbraids-vi.jpg

Shrinkage also meant my twists were away from clothes and because twists kept my hair from tangling, I had an easy time with them:

TwistsSeptember42008-vi.jpg

If I CW'd, and towel dried, the twists would still damp and stretchy so I could wear them in different styles:

AndYetAnotherUpdo-vi.jpg

NoniesKaiLanHairdoLOL-vi.jpg

Mynewtwistupdo-vi.jpg

Phony puffs came in handy too:
TwistandPhonyPuffCozySept2008-vi.jpg

This thread may have more ideas for you: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=330641

And while this isn't just for SL length, I'm sure you'll get ideas from it too: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=443920

I want to try flexirods. Was thinking about trying this weekend. With braidouts and bantu knotouts I feel like my hair just doesn't look right. I am relaxed but the curls of course shortens the length and it just looks like if it was a little shorter or a little longer it would look perfect. Maybe the flexiriods will save me. Thanks!

How many braids or knots are you doing? When I was relaxed and transitioning, I did just two french braids for wavy hair. You could also get a phony pony. Hopefully more relaxed ladies with chip in with some styling advice.

Sl to apl was my most versatile stage...flips crimps bob curls etc. I think you can do all the styles you mentioned if you want to along with updos and high ponytails. I do think more work might be needed if u have never passed this stage before but as far as enjoying ur hair, you can if you want to.

I definitely remember that awkward stage. My hair didn't start looking cute till I was SL curly. My twist-outs always looked yuck, and I hadn't started using the CG method, so my hair was a frizzy mess. What saved me was hair accessories! I went to Clair's and bought myself a bunch of cute hair things, and was able to ride it out that way. Try some hair toys.

I wore wigs thru that stage or phony pony's. Just be sure to keep your ends protected and moisturized, you'll be apl in no time:)

@KammyGirl, you could still do those styles but pat your hair down or wear it at the top of your head so that your ends aren't hanging down by your shoulders. :poke:

I don't know how you feel abou shrinkage but when my hair was SL, I found puffs to help keep it away from my clothes. I braided it every night and baggied and then combed it out every morning. Because I used S Curl as my moisturizer. Shrinkage was the norm but that meant my hair was up and away from my clothes and face and neck so no greasiness and no fear of friction from clothes:
roPuffSept12008Justoutofbraids-vi.jpg

Shrinkage also meant my twists were away from clothes and because twists kept my hair from tangling, I had an easy time with them:

TwistsSeptember42008-vi.jpg

If I CW'd, and towel dried, the twists would still damp and stretchy so I could wear them in different styles:

AndYetAnotherUpdo-vi.jpg

NoniesKaiLanHairdoLOL-vi.jpg

Mynewtwistupdo-vi.jpg

Phony puffs came in handy too:
TwistandPhonyPuffCozySept2008-vi.jpg

This thread may have more ideas for you: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=330641

And while this isn't just for SL length, I'm sure you'll get ideas from it too: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=443920

Thanks for the links. I'm checking them out now.

As a natural I still wore puffs and twists pinned up during that phase.

When relaxed I wore my hair up in a clip with a side bang. Its an akward phase but I knew what I had to do to protect those ends.

Back