Diethanolamine (DEA) In Shampoo Harms Brain Cells

esoterica

(NewsTarget) University of North Carolina researchers discovered that when Diethanolamine (DEA) is applied to the skin of pregnant mice, it interferes with their offspring's normal brain development.

Researchers found that DEA -- a chemical used as a wetting or thickening agent in shampoos, soaps, hairsprays and sunscreens -- seems to block absorption of the nutrient choline, which is essential to brain development. While pregnant, women require extra choline so that they may pass it on to the fetus.

"You need choline to build a baby," said Dr. Steven Zeisel, associate dean for research at the UNC School of Public Health. Zeisel added that further study is required and the results should not cause too much alarm. "At this point it is a caution," he said, "but it would probably be prudent to look at labels and try to limit exposure until we know more."

The study, published in the August issue of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology's FASEB Journal, is the first to look at DEA's affect on the brain. Prior studies had focused on its potential as a cancer-causing agent.

Over the last several years, numerous chemicals in personal care products that were once thought to be harmless are now being shown to be dangerous to human health. No research has yet been conducted by anyone on the potential for synergistic toxicities, where several different chemicals combine to multiply their toxic effects.

The body of the average American contains more than 300 synthetic chemicals acquired from foods, drugs and personal care products. The combined effect of these chemicals is entirely unknown.

http://www.NewsTarget.com/019895.html

EMJazzy

Happily retired
They reported this on my local news a couple of days ago....I looked at the ingredients of ALL of my poo's and the 2 that I threw away were Mane N Tail and Children's Suave poo' because of the DEA ingredient. Now on the news they claim that the amounts that they put in shampoo aren't enough to cause the damage they were reporting on but a sista wasn't going to take any chances with my 2 y/o's scalp nor my own. :nono:

LaNecia

Thanks for posting! I have to check the ingredients on my Hair Vite Garlic and CON Moisturizing Shampoos.

Another reason to love my Eqyss Premier Poo...it's DEA Free, says so in huge letters on the bottle! :yay:

Cayenne0622

VWVixxen said:
Thanks for posting! I have to check the ingredients on my Hair Vite Garlic and CON Moisturizing Shampoos.

Another reason to love my Eqyss Premier Poo...it's DEA Free, says so in huge letters on the bottle! :yay:
Is that a Garlic shampoo you are using? Is it for shedding? Does it work? :)Also, what about the whole paraben thing as well? The sodium Laureate ingredient is supposed to be cancerous as well. Its like we are doomed with the man made preservatives these companies are putting into our haircare and bath products.

LaNecia

Cayenne0622 said:
Is that a Garlic shampoo you are using? Is it for shedding? Does it work? :)Also, what about the whole paraben thing as well? The sodium Laureate ingredient is supposed to be cancerous as well. Its like we are doomed with the man made preservatives these companies are putting into our haircare and bath products.

Yes, that's the garlic shampoo that's been working well for stalling my shedding. I really like it, and a bottle only costs about $2.99.

You know, you bring up a good point here. That's the reason why I don't obsess too much about what I apply topically, because pretty much everything has some chemical(s) that's harmful. I study my labels and go for as products that are as healthy as possible while still yielding results that I like. I'm more concerned about what I put IN my body.

I know people personally that freak about topical carcinogens yet eat blackened chicken and fish, barbecue that's over cooked and so on, partially hydrogenated oils... :confused: All the while not realizing that the charbroiled/blackened portion of the food is loaded w/carcinogens and they're taking that internally. To each their own.

Heck, even breathing is unhealthy because of second hand smoke, car exhaust, industrials toxins released into the air and so on... :(

Cayenne0622

VWVixxen said:
Yes, that's the garlic shampoo that's been working well for stalling my shedding. I really like it, and a bottle only costs about $2.99.

You know, you bring up a good point here. That's the reason why I don't obsess too much about what I apply topically, because pretty much everything has some chemical(s) that's harmful. I study my labels and go for as products that are as healthy as possible while still yielding results that I like. I'm more concerned about what I put IN my body.

I know people personally that freak about topical carcinogens yet eat blackened chicken and fish, barbecue that's over cooked and so on, partially hydrogenated oils... :confused: All the while not realizing that the charbroiled/blackened portion of the food is loaded w/carcinogens and they're taking that internally. To each their own.

Heck, even breathing is unhealthy because of second hand smoke, car exhaust, industrials toxins released into the air and so on... :(

girlllll....i didn't know that about blackened food!!!! wow! i normally will eat up some blackened fish! geez! that hurts. lol hey where do you get your Garlic shampoo? my hair has been shedding so much that i want to scream! longgggg beautiful strands of hair just laying on the sink or all over my hands at every wash. i did a protein treatment with nexxus emergencee last nast. i was still shedding like crazy after i finished my final rinse but this morning i noticed only a couple of strands so i think it may have helped.

LaNecia

Cayenne0622 said:
hey where do you get your Garlic shampoo?

I found it locally at the Beauty Supply Warehouse. I've seen it at other general BSS so you shouldn't have a problem finding it. =)

KhandiB

I love the way you think sis :D

I say that folks know that McDonalds chicken isnt ALL chicken yet and still go there and eat it...

You can find something dangerous about everything except nothing :lol: ..

VWVixxen said:

Cayenne0622

VWVixxen said:
I found it locally at the Beauty Supply Warehouse. I've seen it at other general BSS so you shouldn't have a problem finding it. =)
Thanks!! I'll see if I can find it this weekend.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
A lot of those studies about all the harmful ingredients in hair products are usually taken out of context and are missing information. I don't know the chemical makeup of DEA, but I'm pretty sure that when combined with other ingredients in product formulations, it's effects are neglible. And they probably used a high concentration of the chemical and then let it sit for hours.

Furthermore, I'm not pregnant or a mouse, so this argument doesn't even hold water to me.