Difference bet. relaxer vs. texturizer?

Fine 4s

To stretch out the kinks some, I suggested she 'run' some relaxer through for no more than 5 mns.

She has fine hair with medium density.
Her goal is to be able to wet her hair during these warm months to have soft curls. She believes that she can achieve this look with a texturizer more so than with a relaxer. She also believes that with a relaxer she will HAVE to rollerset or that when she wets her hair the curls will be more frizzy than curly with a relaxer.

Is there a difference in the outcome using a relaxer vs. a texturizer?
Does anyone have any before and after pics? which relaxer or texturizer did you use? I can only think of DDTexlaxed, Sereca and the BT woman (forgot her name Cass something) at the moment.

What about a Keratin treatment?

Any suggestions?

Nonie

If she has big coils, then she may get the results she wants with minimal processing (I'll let pros explain the difference between texturizing and texlaxing. I thought they were just the same thing, but that texturizers were just not strong enough to fully process--but that's just a guess). If she has 4B hair, then the "waves" she will get will be hardly noticeable so her hair will just look somewhat straight w/o being silky. It will looks sort of like this:

^^Not a great picture but it's wavy just not easily seen unless you're way close up. Happily Me has texlaxed hair. Close-up you can see the waves. From afar it just looks like blown-out hair.

So if she's 4B, she will not get hair like say Flowerhair unless she sets it on rods like they do in jheri curls/curly perms.

NikStarrr

Texturizers sometimes are a different chemical than relaxers (lye), i.e. S-Curl, etc. I think that's why the term "texlaxed" was coined, to show that it's texturized with a relaxer. Doing it with the relaxer like you suggested is better, IMO.

Neith

I would post pics, but I don't think they'd help. My hair texture is probably very different and I texturized for way longer than 5 mins.

imo a texturizer is just a mild relaxer. They are the same thing, just that relaxers are for straightening and texturized are used to loosen the curl.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Texturizers sometimes are a different chemical than relaxers (lye), i.e. S-Curl, etc. I think that's why the term "texlaxed" was coined, to show that it's texturized with a relaxer. Doing it with the relaxer like you suggested is better, IMO.

Most texturizers on the box are made with lithium hydroxide (its ph is lower than calcium and sodium hyroxide).

There is a post in the texlaxed thread with a woman who uses S curl to stretch her kinks and it is made with Sodium hydroxide, it may just be less than others that contain lye.

Most people however dont use the s-curl to texlax their hair. They eithier use a no-lye relaxer that is eithier milder than what they would normally use with or with out smoothing or they add oil to it. Some may use a lye relaxer doing the same process.

If the relaxer already has oils and conditioners added to it (Mizani BB) then there usually is no need to add anything additional to it because it already is a mild relaxer to begin with.

Texturizing/Texlazing is all based on your individual strands and hair type.

Check out this thread it is very helpful:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=131009

Last edited:

Neith

So all texturizers are lithium hydroxide based?

I could have sworn I've seen Sodium/Calcium hydroxide based texturizers.

Maybe I was wrong. I've only texlaxed.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
So all texturizers are lithium hydroxide based?

I could have sworn I've seen Sodium/Calcium hydroxide based texturizers.

Maybe I was wrong. I've only texlaxed.

I made a mistake. I thought I read on line that the S-Curl was lithium based but it has Sodium Hydroxide, it may just not have as much lye as some others IDK I am not a chemist.

From what I have read though most texturizers that say texturizer on the package usually only have lithium hydroxide because it is very mild. I guess things are changing.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I thought S curl was lye based.:blush: I know nothing!:lachen: I got the best results of texlaxing with a lye relaxer. I put in on 5 minutes and rinsed out. I was able to get nice curls by doing this. I got the same effect from using S curl, too. I think your curl pattern has a lot to do with determining the type of curl you can get.

SignatureBeauty

I am texturized and I used Mizani Butter Blends, I have used the S-curl in the past and other texturizer kits but they made my hair dry as heck, But MBB left my hair soft, I only left it in for like 7 minutes. I also do a Protein treatment every 6 weeks with aphogee.

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
I know every one says you have to have big curls but when I texturized with ORS lye relaxer for a short time, I had small curls that became bigger.
I can do a wash and go now years ago I was fully relaxed but I had no idea about healthy hair and to get curls I had to rollerset or iron. It was also frizzy if I let it air dry but a lot of that was overprocessing and unhealthy hair.
This is before with my crazy 80% skrinkage

This is after the texlax

my bangs are tooo straight because the get the most heat so they went nutty with the relaxer!

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
BTW I will never use a non- lye relaxer again. I have never had a relaxer in the past that didn't fry my hair. Lye is the business!

Nonie

Arosieworld, to me your curls didn't get bigger but looser, which is what I'd expect.

This spiral shown here:

...to me looks very much like the strands dangling to your left (our right) here:

The only difference is the former is more like a spring while the latter hangs more and looks wavy rather than coily. I think why you think the coils are larger is when chemicals are processing hair, it's hard to be sure that they will work uniformly along the length, so who knows if they don't over process certain areas so you appear to skip a bend where one should've been. *shrug* I say that because while in the pre-texlax pics you had even uniform coils, in the post-texlax, the pattern isn't uniform all through, as if you did different things to different part (and I don't mean the front).

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
BTW I will never use a non- lye relaxer again. I have never had a relaxer in the past that didn't fry my hair. Lye is the business!

Lye does not straiten my hair at all, so if I ever decide to have texlaxed curly hair again, I'll use a lye relaxer.:yep: My hair is relaxer resistant and it laughs at lye relaxers. I've tried several and I end up texturized, not relaxed. I believe Fabulaxer was one of the relaxers I used. I don't remember what the other relaxer was.

Last edited: