Difference between Leave-in and Moisturizer?

HairBella08

What's the difference between a leave-in and a moisturizer? It seems you put the leave-in on wet hair only after your poo and conditioner and use the moisturizer on dry hair. Is this correct? I've checked a few threads and it seems that some people use their moisturizer as a leave-in. If that's the case, I guess I really don't need to buy a leave-in right? Please explain...TIA

msa

IMO, there is no difference. A moisturizer should be left in the hair and a leave-in should moisturize. I personally think it's an advertising thing. And, some products do work better on wet or dry hair but that depends on the ingredients, the consistency, and your hair and not whether it's a leave-in or a moisturizer.

And, I don't see any reason to buy a leave-in and moisturizer and then layer them. If your moisturizer is working well, stick with it. Remember, your hair can only absorb so much.

Urban

Yeh it's definately just semantics. The words can be used interchangeably. In fact isn't the full name for a leave-in "leave-in moisturizer"? Same-diff.

Jessofpal

A "Leave-in" is a leave-in conditioner. Just like conditioners some will lean toward adding protein (Aphogee Keratin and Green tea recontructor spray) some toward moisture (Elasta QP h-Two). The major difference between any type of conditioner and what it should be used for is a couple of key ingredients and consistency. With that in mind some leave-in's can easily double as moisturizers.

Whether or not you need a leave-in depends on what your planning to do with your hair. I have been air drying almost exclusively since summer started so I use a couple of leave-ins to weigh my hair down. I find that the leave-ins do little to actually moisturize my hair, so I follow up with S-curl, my summer moisturizer. I hope that helps.

beans4reezy

Good post OP! I was wondering the same thing. I agree with the ladies- I believe they are one in the same.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
They both do the same for my hair. Nothing. I don't think there is a big difference or any at all.

LaidBak

I always thought it was "leave-in" conditioner versus "rinse out" (instant) conditioner versus "deep" conditioner. Leave ins are designed to be used after a shampoo. Whereas moisturizer can be used anytime, on wet or dry hair, the same way body lotion is. Not stating a fact, I just thought that's what the different classes of conditioner were.

Neith

Leave in conditioner and moistuizers are the same thing.

It's just what the company decides to name it.

Both can be used on wet or dry hair :yep:

sharifeh

I've definitely heard leave in moisturizer for some products
but for most its leave in conditioner

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Preceive a "Leave In Conditioner" to be something that you apply directly after Shampooing/Co-Washing, using in correlation with a brand that makes Shampoos, Conditioners, DC Treatments to be applied on freshly washed/conditioned "damp" hair.:yep:

IMO: A Moisturizer is something that can be used daily on Dry Hair as part of your daily treatment. A Daily Headress, Lotion or Spray. Something for dry, styled, hair Maintenance.:yep: