Diva Smooth Mini Review

ART11

Well I ordered the Diva Smooth Kit - Celebrity for $39.99 on Saturday 1/24. The total was $45.98 with shipping. When I had not received it by Tuesday 2/3 I emailed my concern. I received a reply immediately and was told that it would arrive today (Wed, 2/4) and it did arrive today as stated. When I opened the box, I was overwhelmingly pleased by the packaging. The owner is serious about her business. It was a brown box with a pretty brown satin ribbon on it and the products inside were the Diva Smooth and the Virgin Coconut Hair Serum. It also included a flat brush for application and another small box which had a plastic cap and a nice quality pair of rubber gloves. Those were really nice touches. I had everything I needed without having to scrounge through my own stuff. The Sweet Jamila was missing from the box and I assume it is back-ordered and will ship at another time.

The application process. You apply it just as you would a virgin perm using the brush and putting it through to the ends. It can be applied on damp or dry hair. I tried both. Dry DEFINITELY was not my favorite so I dampened it and it worked much better. I did NOT dig this process. The mixture is very sticky and it can tend to be somewhat drippy. I made a bit of a mess. I think she may want to consider putting it in a jar so you could DIP the brush rather than squeeze it from the bottle. You can actually DIP it too - it is very liquidy. Think of applying honey straight from the jar to your hair. That is the consistency.

I have 20 weeks of new growth so I found my hair was tangling much. It usually does when I wash it but the sticky mixture did not help. I was a little alarmed at the amount of my hair that was sticking to the gloves but when all was said and done, I still have a full head of hair so I guess no harm done. It took about 30 minutes to apply. I was confused about the time I was supposed to leave it on because there was no mention of including or not including the application time so I put the cap on for 30 minutes and sat patiently wiping the honey drips from my face and t-shirt. And everyplace else I walked by.

I rinsed in warm water and shampooed with Creme of Nature. My hair felt nice after the Creme of Nature (as always) but was still visibly nappy (or whatever is politically correct to call it). I conditioned with Chi Ionic Color Protecting Conditioner and rinsed.

I blow dried it with my Turbo Power Twin 3200 Ionic dryer using small sections, blowing down the hair shaft and using the round brush method and the concentrator nozzle. THEN it was straight. But it usually is when I use that dryer. If you in the market for a dryer THIS is THE O N E to get! Then I put about a quarter size of the Coconut oil serum and flat ironed with a Gold & Hot. This was my 1st attempt at flat ironing and I had trouble getting at the root. I think I need to redo the roots with a curling iron because some sections in the back are not feeling as flat as the rest.

The serum is WONDERFUL. I hear that some people would rather just use regular EVCO (coconut oil) but it is a litte better. It is already liquidated and it has a wonderful scent to it.

Bottom line: My hair looks good! It IS straight and shiny but I would not say it is MORE straight than when I usually do it. It IS shinier though and not greasy shiny ike when you use regular products. I honestly cannot tell if the PRODUCT did anything to straighten it or if the HEAT did it. I did enjoy the serum and will use it again and again. As for fooling with that honey mess - well hmmmmm..... For the price I will have to see how long I benefit from it to determine if it was worth the investment. If it LENGTHENS the straightening process - meaning less reversion, it may actually have been a wise choice.

For all those who are afraid of trying it, I was too but I do not THINK it is harmful. I even got some on my lips (tastes like honey and vinegar). Smells a wee bit vinegary too. But if you are expecting something LIKE a relaxer when you rinse it off, you will be disappointed. You will end up with a soft, shiny swingy do but I think it is more from the heat process (which I didn't care for too much) than anything else.

My 2 cents (actually it was a LOTTA 2 cents) - worth a try. :yep:

Attachments

• IMG_0406 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0406 - Copy.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

vkb247

Thanks for the review. Have you also tried a caramel treatment? I am really curious about how they compare.

ART11

vkb - No I have never tried a caramel treatment. I am going to Google that. Now you have me curious.

Keen - Well it was "mini" when I made the title. But you know once you get started talking and all... :) I have 3C fine/delicate hair (breaks easily) about 25% gray. That is why I was not crazy about the flat ironing. I wouldn't want to do it regularly. But if this is going to last 2+ weeks maybe the heat won't be TOO damaging. I will have to wait and see. I like to shampoo every Sunday though so it will be hard to miss it.

AVE One

Thanks for the review. I was wondering if this was as sticky as the ETAE caramel treatment. I guess it would be since there are similar ingredients. I know when I applied that caramel treatment this past weekend it felt like there was some pulling on my strands because it started to stick. I ended up having to mix it in a bowl with a little of my HV SitriNillah to make it a little more creamy. I still loved the results though because it made detangling a dream, comb just ran right through. I think the diva smooth just makes the straightening process easier. One should not expect relaxer results by just using the product alone.

vkb247

I ended up having to mix it in a bowl with a little of my HV SitriNillah to make it a little more creamy. I still loved the results though because it made detangling a dream, comb just ran right through. I think the diva smooth just makes the straightening process easier. One should not expect relaxer results by just using the product alone.

That sounds like a winner. I can definitely see how these sticky treatments would break hair off.

Lucky's Mom

Thanks for the review. I was wondering if this was as sticky as the ETAE caramel treatment. I guess it would be since there are similar ingredients. I know when I applied that caramel treatment this past weekend it felt like there was some pulling on my strands because it started to stick. I ended up having to mix it in a bowl with a little of my HV SitriNillah to make it a little more creamy. I still loved the results though because it made detangling a dream, comb just ran right through. I think the diva smooth just makes the straightening process easier. One should not expect relaxer results by just using the product alone.

It is basically the same product - without bananas.
And yes - it is sticky.