Divorce and Remarriage

chellero

Wife Supremacist
Again, nothing you've said applies to anyone in this thread. The women's situations, gave them no other choice than to divorce. And they each have scriptual license to re-marry. Not my word, but God's.

If you disagree, that's your right, but that does not give you the right to come into this thread with cynical remarks and accusations for which there is no 'just' cause. :nono:

Coily, you are a 'hurting' person who's carrying a grudge that goes beyond the topic of this thread. This is your standard "MO", seeking opportunities to discredit Christians. It's been this way for as long as I've been here. And it's so unnecessary. You've not the God of us. Neither can you fix what you don't like about us.

Using the 'gay' issue doesn't hold water. For even those who do not believe in God and do not read nor follow the Bible, do not advocate homosexuality. Meaning, that the majority of the human race, be they Christian or non-Christian, Bible or no Bible, do not advocate the lifestyle. So leave God out of this as your basis to accuse us...namely me. You have no just cause, only a deep grudge that you cannot let go of.

I can see you doing what you've never failed to accuse 'us' Christians (namely 'me') of; using scripture to justify your point. The thing is you've used scripture which again does not apply to anyone in this thread, unless it's you. :sad:

The bottom line is that...
  • You cannot stop God's love from flowing in this forum.
  • You cannot stop the much needed ministry that members are receiving.
  • You cannot stop the loving Christian fellowship that flows here.
  • You cannot stop the Bible from being what it is, whether you agree with it or not.
  • You cannot 'whip' your way into the path of the Holy Spirit, to prevent Him from healing those who come here for healing from brokenness, comfort and someone to listen to them and just be here for them.
Whether I'm personally here or not, Jesus will still be here and you cannot undo His presence or His purpose for the Christianity Forum. It's here to glorify Him, and no one else...not even me (whom you seek to discredit).

Your whole point was to undo or to throw a wrench in the flow of love and comfort that abides in the Christianity Forum. You see, even when Christians disagree, they have the conviction of the Holy Spirit to correct them and those of us who abide in Him, follow Him with the corection.

Your presence here is without the desire to do such, but only to discredit and that's what you get pleasure from; and it's so sad. Yet it's understood for this is what people who are hurting or those seeking attention do. They seek to hurt others for relief. This is so, so sad. :nono:

From this post forward, I have to place you on 'ignore'. :sad:

It's unfortunate, yet I advise you to do the same, for we will never 'agree' on your accusations. Yet I will pray for you...sincerely. :giveheart:

Take care, JCoily..... "Jesus Loves You" all the more....:yep:

I wasn't going to say anything in response to this at first, but this comment keeps bothering me. I think that what you've said is unfair. I don't think that Jcoily or anyone tried to stop God's love from flowing in this forum, or keep the Holy Spirit from healing people. I don't think that she's trying to hurt people or make them feel bad.

I think that she just wants for people to be honest about God's word. Sometimes what the Bible says about a particular situation seems cruel or painful for someone else to hear. I certainly sympathize with people who find themselves married to an abuser and later divorce. It's a horrible situation. But that situation does NOT allow remarriage according to the Bible. You've referred to the situation as bondage, but it's not. It's a covenant between 2 people and God.

For what it's worth, I think that you went too far with your comment. What you said was not the truth in love. It was more like saying something cruel to someone and then adding "bless your heart," at the end as if that makes it ok. I seriously don't mean to offend you, and I'm pretty sure that jcoily can stick up for herself and doesn't need my assistance. But I still felt like this needed saying.

ETA: I hope that I don't end up on ignore as well. Even if I do, I won't be ignoring you, because I feel that most of the time the things that you say are interesting, and insightful.

Last edited:

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I wasn't going to say anything in response to this at first, but this comment keeps bothering me. I think that what you've said is unfair. I don't think that Jcoily or anyone tried to stop God's love from flowing in this forum, or keep the Holy Spirit from healing people. I don't think that she's trying to hurt people or make them feel bad.

I think that she just wants for people to be honest about God's word. Sometimes what the Bible says about a particular situation seems cruel or painful for someone else to hear. I certainly sympathize with people who find themselves married to an abuser and later divorce. It's a horrible situation. But that situation does NOT allow remarriage according to the Bible. You've referred to the situation as bondage, but it's not. It's a covenant between 2 people and God.

For what it's worth, I think that you went too far with your comment. What you said was not the truth in love. It was more like saying something cruel to someone and then adding "bless your heart," at the end as if that makes it ok. I seriously don't mean to offend you, and I'm pretty sure that jcoily can stick up for herself and doesn't need my assistance. But I still felt like this needed saying.

ETA: I hope that I don't end up on ignore as well. Even if I do, I won't be ignoring you, because I feel that most of the time the things that you say are interesting, and insightful.

I believe that most people on here really just want honesty when it comes to God's word. The thing is - people just have to remember to be mindful of the condescending tone that they send when they chose to translate certain words into posts. That goes for Jcoily, me, you, and everybody else.

You can't try to justify God's truth when you're also being a smart ass. Just doesn't work.

See?

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
You can't try to justify God's truth when you're also being a smart ass. Just doesn't work.

See?

I got zero beef with you as a matter of fact, IMHO you are good peoples.

I think that if you were to read the posts in this thread, the 'smart assedness' began before I made an appearance.

There are people who I respect on this board who were basically called 'the devil' in this thread for asking questions and providing accurate answers. But it seems that folk can't see the duplicity when 'she who has me on ignore' is the one calling people out.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I think that if you were to read the posts in this thread, the 'smart assedness' began before I made an appearance.

Yup - that's really all I was trying to say.

I hate that this thread took this type of turn though. It would have been nice to hear from more divorced Christian people, and whether they feel like they're still married to their ex spouses.

Princess4real

I believe that most people on here really just want honesty when it comes to God's word. The thing is - people just have to remember to be mindful of the condescending tone that they send when they chose to translate certain words into posts. That goes for Jcoily, me, you, and everybody else.

See?

:nono::amen:

gone_fishing

About 3 years ago now...hmmm...yes, it's been three years...I went to Pastor Douglas in tears at my church in agony about the prospect of filing for a divorce. It was not with a light heart that I made the decision. I went to counseling, brought my bible, and took notes and I was RESIGNED to the fact that if my church told me I could not remarry - then I wouldn't. :nono: I had heard it here and there that I couldn't remarry until my ex died and I wanted to make sure this was so.

When I walked into Pastor Douglas' office (asst. Pastor), I was not looking for an "out". At the time, the idea of being married again repulsed me. :look: I was so hurt and in pain that the thought of another marriage coudln't have been farther from my mind.

But on that day, I sat with Pastor Douglas at my church and I asked him - what does the Word say. And I took a 16 week course on Courting-Marriage-Remarriage which was very detailed and insightful.

If you doubt the integrity of my church or my pastor, feel free to listen to some of the candid sermons offered by my church:

http://www.centralchurchofgod.org

My church does not candy coat or play games with scripture and I searched far and long for a church who will give it to me like it is.

I was told that I could remarry at THAT time and it wasn't until recently on this forum that this question for me was called into play.

I will be making another appointment with Pastor Douglas in a few weeks. I want him to meet my fiancee and I want him to discuss with us God's expectations for our relationship. I want to ensure that we have God's blessing.

I'll report back with what he says.

If you are curious this is my churches requirements for performing a wedding.

Wedding Application & Forms

To begin the planning process, please fill out the following forms and mail to:

Central Church of God
c/o Terry McHam
5301 Sardis Road
Charlotte, NC 28270

Wedding Application
Click here to download a printable version.

Premarital Questions (Bride)

Premarital Questions (Groom)

Wedding Requirements

Officiating Pastors

A member of the pastoral staff MUST officiate at all weddings at Central Church. The couple may request which member of the pastoral staff they would like to perform the wedding.

Premarital Counseling

We believe that marriage is the most important decision that anyone will make in this lifetime outside of accepting Jesus Christ as his Savior. It is because of this that we believe marriage should not be entered into hastily but only after much prayer and counsel.

Central Church has an excellent Premarital Counseling Program that will assist the couple in facing many of the realities and challenges that are involved in marriage. All couples who are going to be married at Central will complete this program with their officiating pastor. The wedding date will NOT be officially confirmed until this program consisting of 6-8 sessions and outside homework is completed.

Special counseling for couples who have experienced a divorce may be recommended. Divorced persons should observe a waiting period of at least one year prior to a subsequent marriage.

We believe that premarital counseling is a vital part of our ministry at Central Church and therefore there will be no charge to the couple.

Wedding Director

Before you begin your premarital sessions, the church’s Wedding Coordinator will contact you to schedule an orientation meeting. At this meeting the Wedding Director will be discussing your wedding plans, as well as church policies and procedures. This is to help you plan your wedding but your wedding date is not officially confirmed until you have completed the Pre-Marital counseling.

Weddings, rehearsals, decorations and use of church facilities will be supervised solely by the church’s Wedding Director.

Last edited:

Zuhus

ITA with Chellero. I believe some things and words being thrown around are totally uncalled for and even unnecessary. Lets just allow God's true love to flow among us all here.
Otherwise I understand we all want to try and follow God's will I believe, so no need to throw about words to anyone.

Romans 14:1-13 says,1 Accept those whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person's faith allows them to eat everything, but another person, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted that person. 4 Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To their own master they stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand. 5 Some consider one day more sacred than another; others consider every day alike. Everyone should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Those who regard one day as special do so to the Lord. Those who eat meat do so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and those who abstain do so to the Lord and give thanks to God. 7 For we do not live to ourselves alone and we do not die to ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat your brother or sister with contempt? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11 It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' " 12 So then, we will all give an account of ourselves to God. 13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister.
God bless you all :love3:

Princess4real

ITA with Chellero. I believe some things and words being thrown around are totally uncalled for and even unnecessary. Lets just allow God's true love to flow among us all here.
Otherwise I understand we all want to try and follow God's will I believe, so no need to throw about words to anyone.

Romans 14:1-13 says,1 Accept those whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person's faith allows them to eat everything, but another person, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted that person. 4 Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To their own master they stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand. 5 Some consider one day more sacred than another; others consider every day alike. Everyone should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Those who regard one day as special do so to the Lord. Those who eat meat do so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and those who abstain do so to the Lord and give thanks to God. 7 For we do not live to ourselves alone and we do not die to ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat your brother or sister with contempt? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11 It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' " 12 So then, we will all give an account of ourselves to God. 13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister.
God bless you all :love3:

Beautiful, those words should be on every church bulletin every Sunday!!! People don't realize how their words and attitudes keep people who really want to hear the word, from going to church. :yep: