Divorce and Remarriage

chellero

Wife Supremacist
For what it's worth, I agree with EVERYTHING you concluded based on what the scripture says.

It would be hypocritical for people to interpret the bible literally when it's being applied to everyone else, but figuratively when it applies to themselves.

Now wouldn't it?

I agreed with her conclusions too. I think that people will interpret the Bible in the way that works for them. People once used God's word to justify slavery and you couldn't convince them that slavery was wrong because slavery was what they wanted.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
JCoily said:
It would be hypocritical for people to interpret the bible literally when it's being applied to everyone else, but figuratively when it applies to themselves.

Now wouldn't it?
While it is true, that many in life have and will continue to 'turn' scripture to their advantage, no one in this thread has done so regarding divorce and remarriage.

For each divorce and remarriage represented here, there is solid scriptual license for the situations of those in this thread for divorce, which allows one to divorce and remarry.

And juuusssssssst for the record :rolleyes:, my divorced husband (who committed adultery and was abusive), is dead and buried, literally (God rest his soul).

So surely I have no 'turning' of scripture for personal justification.

Therefore, I can and will without a doubt in God's literal word, be a support for others being judged unjustly.

Peace and blessings... :giveheart:

lawyer2be371

Well I'm up in the air on this topic...
I have a friend that is newly divorced. His wife left him and filed for divorce.. He is feels that marriage is ordained by God, and although "MAN" says he is divorce, he still considers himself married to his wife.

He told me that he knows that he will get back with his wife, because it was prophecied to him. Well he is a great, great, great guy. And I don't know if he is going to get back with his wife or not BUT, I pray and tell me if I'm right or wrong....

That God's will be done. And if it is for him and his wife to get back together let it be, but if not..God heal his hurt and set him free of his personal bondage...

Now I wrestle, with my feelings too, because he is saved (truly saved), and a Man of God..and i sort of feel that I'm being teased..not to sound crazy...So I'm praying to God so that he can reveal to me what am I suppose to be learning and how should I proceed in my friendship with him.

Shimmie

Staff member
I have a friend that is newly divorced. His wife left him and filed for divorce.. He is feels that marriage is ordained by God, and although "MAN" says he is divorce, he still considers himself married to his wife.

He told me that he knows that he will get back with his wife, because it was prophecied to him. Well he is a great, great, great guy. And I don't know if he is going to get back with his wife or not BUT, I pray and tell me if I'm right or wrong....

That God's will be done. And if it is for him and his wife to get back together let it be, but if not..God heal his hurt and set him free of his personal bondage...

Now I wrestle, with my feelings too, because he is saved (truly saved), and a Man of God..and i sort of feel that I'm being teased..not to sound crazy...So I'm praying to God so that he can reveal to me what am I suppose to be learning and how should I proceed in my friendship with him.
He's not the only great, great, great guy; neither is he truly saved for he is in bondage. Hurting...yes. In love with a woman who didn't want him, unable to accept the ending of his marriage, unable to deal with the 'rejection' of someone he depended upon.

It's bondage and when one is in bondage it's like an addiction; for even when feeling the pain, they still choose to stay in it, hoping it will help them gain back the love they've lost. In this state no matter how 'saved' they are, all of their faith is spent upon regaining the 'loss' at any expense.

Here's the thing, don't get into bondage with him. :nono: You have a lot in store and you deserve so much more, that God has to offer that this man cannot. He has a long journey towards healing to travel through. And it's not designed for you to be ensnared.

You deserve better, far better and you cannot be denied.

God bless you precious lawyer to be. You've already passed the 'bar'. :giveheart:

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

I listened to these two messages about divorce, and it is very good. I hope this will also help to clarify some things about the limited grounds for divorce as a christian. These messages are from Pastor Paul Sheppard of Enduring Truth Ministries. www.enduringtruth.org

Listen to this one first: "Shutting the Door of Divorce"
http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/Enduring_Truth/archives.asp?bcd=2008-2-5

And then listen to part 2: "Conclusion of Shutting the Door of Divorce."
http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/Enduring_Truth/archives.asp?bcd=2008-2-6

Blessings to all!

chellero

Wife Supremacist

If he feels that he is still married in God's eyes and the Bible backs that up then your friendship can only be a friendship because he's married. :look:

Shimmie

Staff member
I listened to these two messages about divorce, and it is very good. I hope this will also help to clarify some things about the limited grounds for divorce as a christian. These messages are from Pastor Paul Sheppard of Enduring Truth Ministries. www.enduringtruth.org

Listen to this one first: "Shutting the Door of Divorce"
http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/Enduring_Truth/archives.asp?bcd=2008-2-5

And then listen to part 2: "Conclusion of Shutting the Door of Divorce."
http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/Enduring_Truth/archives.asp?bcd=2008-2-6

Blessings to all!
Precious Wavy, I'm so glad God placed you here. We need God's echo and you and you husband are the perfect marriage team to minister to us. What I respect is that you share other Pastor's teachings which gives everyone a broader perspective and understanding.

Marriage is no doubt a complex experience.

But then so is 'chocolate'....:rolleyes:

Both are extremely enjoyable and rewarding, yet you have to work off the calories to avoid the extra burden of weight. We have to work at marriage to keep it from becoming a burden or ruined chocolate.

Belle Du Jour

For what it's worth, I agree with EVERYTHING you concluded based on what the scripture says.

Now wouldn't it?

:yep::yep::yep:

GREAT point.

Nice & Wavy

Precious Wavy, I'm so glad God placed you here. We need God's echo and you and you husband are the perfect marriage team to minister to us. What I respect is that you share other Pastor's teachings which gives everyone a broader perspective and understanding.

Marriage is no doubt a complex experience.

But then so is 'chocolate'....:rolleyes:

Both are extremely enjoyable and rewarding, yet you have to work off the calories to avoid the extra burden of weight. We have to work at marriage to keep it from becoming a burden or ruined chocolate.

I appreciate your kind words, sis. I believe that when you hear someone teaching sound doctrine, it should be shared with all.:yep:

You sure are right about marriage...and, chocolate:grin:

God surely has given you spiritual insight on the marriage relationship. I know that in the future, I will be calling on you to speak at one of our marriage conferences....(yes, I know you will come...I'm being prophetic):yep:

Blessing to you, always and much love!

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
While it is true, that many in life have and will continue to 'turn' scripture to their advantage, no one in this thread has done so regarding divorce and remarriage. For each divorce and remarriage represented here, there is solid scriptual license for the situations of those in this thread for divorce, which allows one to divorce and remarry.

If you are applying what the bible literally says to ALL situations described in this thread, then you are incorrect. You are aiding and abetting untruth regardless of how many e-high fives you get.

It IS hypocritical to read Mark 10:12 and run looking for some other scripture to 'cancel it out', because it fits your situation.

Now my point IS NOT that people ought to stay in abusive/messed up marriages. My point IS NOT that people should never remarry. I'm not the one to tell Tina she needed to stay married to Ike and deserved no happiness until he died. This is because I do not interpret the bible literally. I don't hold people to that standard because it would be cruel.

My point IS that Christians who interpret the bible literally and cast stones at homosexuality, fornication, or whatever explicit situation they find in scripture, need to apply that same literal interpretation when it applies to themselves.

Call me the devil if you want to, but the Golden Rule is a good idea IF you are a fair and just person.

firecracker

If you are applying what the bible literally says to ALL situations described in this thread, then you are incorrect. You are aiding and abetting untruth regardless of how many e-high fives you get.

It IS hypocritical to read Mark 10:12 and run looking for some other scripture to 'cancel it out', because it fits your situation.

Now my point IS NOT that people ought to stay in abusive/messed up marriages. My point IS NOT that people should never remarry. I'm not the one to tell Tina she needed to stay married to Ike and deserved no happiness until he died. This is because I do not interpret the bible literally. I don't hold people to that standard because it would be cruel.

My point IS that Christians who interpret the bible literally and cast stones at homosexuality, fornication, or whatever explicit situation they find in scripture, need to apply that same literal interpretation when it applies to themselves.

Call me the devil if you want to, but the Golden Rule is a good idea IF you are a fair and just person.

Hey don't waste your time. Agree to disagree. Cuz aint naw one of us got the keys to heaven nor the keys to sainthood. Just follow me back on over to the den of sin!:lachen: Where folks can fuss and fight w/o protection just locking of thread and banishment tis all.

Belle Du Jour

Again, :yep::yep::yep:

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Hey don't waste your time. Agree to disagree. Cuz aint naw one of us got the keys to heaven nor the keys to sainthood. Just follow me back on over to the den of sin!:lachen: Where folks can fuss and fight w/o protection just locking of thread and banishment tis all.

@ the bolded is fair.

:peace:

Princess4real

I agree with your whole post. :yep:

Princess4real

That needed to be said! :yep:

Shimmie

Staff member

I'm not going to call you a devil. Life has hurt you enough, which is why you're so cynical and I feel sorry for you.

What you've shared comes from a person with an injured heart. The 'bully' who deep down is sad and afraid. You came into this thread to throw negative stones;carrying an angry grudge because someone here voices what you don't agree with regarding gays, etc.. all of which has nothing to do with the topic.

Yet each thing you've spoken negatively about 'me' and other Christians, is what you see and don't like about yourself...hypocricy.

You can't call us hypocrites without being one yourself. After all, it's the golden rule...."do unto others...."

I wish you peace and I mean this sincerely. :giveheart:

klb120475

I haven't read the thread but I wanna give my :twocents:.........:look:
I wish somebody would tell say me and Boo marriage won't be blessed.:bat:

lawyer2be371

Girl, i was reading like who is BOO!, and then I read the FYI.........! (lol)
Maybe thats what I need to do , give my imaginary husband a name!

Shimmie

Staff member
:lachen::lachen::lachen:I wouldn't dare mis-'lachen' with you and your Boo...:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I'm no fool..... :lachen::lachen::lachen::cowgirl:

I love you KLB. I wish all of God's very best for both you and Boo...:love3:

chellero

Wife Supremacist

I agree with you again. It is really bothering me that people are twisting the Bible to suit their purposes in this thread and others. And I realize that we all do it from time to time. I am consistent in my beliefs on marriage in cases of divorce and for gay people, but I am sure that there's some area where I am less consistent. I think that we as Christians want badly to be living in accordance with God's word, AND want to do want makes us the happiest at the moment, and those aren't always the same things. So we deny, justify and twist to try to have it both ways.

I think that's what's happened in this thread and others about divorce and remarriage. It's easy to throw stones at gay people as most of us aren't gay and have no desire to partake of that particular sin, but when it's something that we want (like a new marriage) then we can't see it.

Crackers Phinn

I'm not going to call you a devil. Life has hurt you enough, which is why you're so cynical and I feel sorry for you.

What you've shared comes from a person with an injured heart. The 'bully' who deep down is sad and afraid. You came into this thread to throw negative stones;carrying an angry grudge because someone here voices what you don't agree with regarding gays, etc.. all of which has nothing to do with the topic.

Yet each thing you've spoken negatively about 'me' and other Christians, is what you see and don't like about yourself...hypocricy.

You can't call us hypocrites without being one yourself. After all, it's the golden rule...."do unto others...."

I wish you peace and I mean this sincerely. :giveheart:

I wouldn't dream of interfering with your need to 'feel sorry for me'.

I completely understand how me disagreeing with you spreading misinformation would make me a Goliath in good need of a slingshot full of amateur therapy.

Jcoily said:

Proverbs 11:1 The LORD abhors dishonest scales, but accurate weights are his delight.

Shimmie, you wished me peace.

Thank you.

I am going to wish you the gift of clarity to see past your own pride.

Proverbs 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

*BTW - nice use of a 'b' word to describe me.:rolleyes:

Crackers Phinn

I agree with you again. It is really bothering me that people are twisting the Bible to suit their purposes in this thread and others. And I realize that we all do it from time to time. I am consistent in my beliefs on marriage in cases of divorce and for gay people, but I am sure that there's some area where I am less consistent. I think that we as Christians want badly to be living in accordance with God's word, AND want to do want makes us the happiest at the moment, and those aren't always the same things. So we deny, justify and twist to try to have it both ways.

I think that's what's happened in this thread and others about divorce and remarriage. It's easy to throw stones at gay people as most of us aren't gay and have no desire to partake of that particular sin, but when it's something that we want (like a new marriage) then we can't see it.

We see eye to eye on this.

Shimmie

Staff member
I wouldn't dream of interfering with your need to 'feel sorry for me'.

I completely understand how me disagreeing with you spreading misinformation would make me a Goliath in good need of a slingshot full of amateur therapy.

Proverbs 11:1 The LORD abhors dishonest scales, but accurate weights are his delight.

Shimmie, you wished me peace.

Thank you.

I am going to wish you the gift of clarity to see past your own pride.

Proverbs 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

*BTW - nice use of a 'b' word to describe me.:rolleyes:
Again, nothing you've said applies to anyone in this thread. The women's situations, gave them no other choice than to divorce. And they each have scriptual license to re-marry. Not my word, but God's.

If you disagree, that's your right, but that does not give you the right to come into this thread with cynical remarks and accusations for which there is no 'just' cause. :nono:

Coily, you are a 'hurting' person who's carrying a grudge that goes beyond the topic of this thread. This is your standard "MO", seeking opportunities to discredit Christians. It's been this way for as long as I've been here. And it's so unnecessary. You've not the God of us. Neither can you fix what you don't like about us.

Using the 'gay' issue doesn't hold water. For even those who do not believe in God and do not read nor follow the Bible, do not advocate homosexuality. Meaning, that the majority of the human race, be they Christian or non-Christian, Bible or no Bible, do not advocate the lifestyle. So leave God out of this as your basis to accuse us...namely me. You have no just cause, only a deep grudge that you cannot let go of.

I can see you doing what you've never failed to accuse 'us' Christians (namely 'me') of; using scripture to justify your point. The thing is you've used scripture which again does not apply to anyone in this thread, unless it's you. :sad:

The bottom line is that...
  • You cannot stop God's love from flowing in this forum.
  • You cannot stop the much needed ministry that members are receiving.
  • You cannot stop the loving Christian fellowship that flows here.
  • You cannot stop the Bible from being what it is, whether you agree with it or not.
  • You cannot 'whip' your way into the path of the Holy Spirit, to prevent Him from healing those who come here for healing from brokenness, comfort and someone to listen to them and just be here for them.
Whether I'm personally here or not, Jesus will still be here and you cannot undo His presence or His purpose for the Christianity Forum. It's here to glorify Him, and no one else...not even me (whom you seek to discredit).

Your whole point was to undo or to throw a wrench in the flow of love and comfort that abides in the Christianity Forum. You see, even when Christians disagree, they have the conviction of the Holy Spirit to correct them and those of us who abide in Him, follow Him with the corection.

Your presence here is without the desire to do such, but only to discredit and that's what you get pleasure from; and it's so sad. Yet it's understood for this is what people who are hurting or those seeking attention do. They seek to hurt others for relief. This is so, so sad. :nono:

From this post forward, I have to place you on 'ignore'. :sad:

It's unfortunate, yet I advise you to do the same, for we will never 'agree' on your accusations. Yet I will pray for you...sincerely. :giveheart:

Take care, JCoily..... "Jesus Loves You" all the more....:yep:

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member

chellero, the women in this thread DO have scriptual basis for divorce (adultery and abuse), and they are also scriptually safe to remarry.

I can't help but wonder if this were 'you'.....what would you do. If a man came into your life to love you, you too would remarry. And I'm not 're-writing scripture.

For me personally, my ex-husband is deceased, so I have no personal reason to re-definfe scripture to justify my re-marriage. let alone mis-lead someone else.

None of us are 'perfect', I'm first to admit it. But I'm most certain, that God honors re-marriage between a man and a woman, who choose to give Him glory, than a gay relationship.

Blessings....

chellero

Wife Supremacist
chellero, the women in this thread DO have scriptual basis for divorce (adultery and abuse), and they are also scriptually safe to remarry. I don't want to delve further into someone's personal situation, but based on what was posted in the OT thread of remarriage one poster in particular has no scriptural basis to remarry.

I can't help but wonder if this were 'you'.....what would you do. If a man came into your life to love you, you too would remarry. And I'm not 're-writing scripture. I've said this before : If it were me, I'd remarry. But I would NOT claim that I was permitted to remarry based on what the Bible says because that would be misrepresenting God's word to others.

For me personally, my ex-husband is deceased, so I have no personal reason to re-definfe scripture to justify my re-marriage. let alone mis-lead someone else. I never said that you did. I have no reason to mis-lead or misinterpret the scriptures either.

None of us are 'perfect', I'm first to admit it. But I'm most certain, that God honors re-marriage between a man and a woman, who choose to give Him glory, than a gay relationship. What scripture do you base this on? I don't think that God honors adultery (if your marriage is not allowed) any more than homosexuality. Sin is sin in God's eyes.

Blessings....

My response is in red.

kayte

Shimmie....thank you for setting a lovely example and standard...especially to a newbie:lachen: to this forum and board...
.. at times the best response is prayerful loving honesty,detachment and respectful boundaries.

& see..
calvary love continues and is passed on and on:circle:

I guess I am OT.
but maybe not ...after all is God IS love

Blessings.
Kayte

Nice & Wavy

Shimmie....thank you for setting a lovely example and standard...especially to a newbie:lachen: to this forum and board...
.. at times the best response is prayerful loving honesty,detachment and respectful boundaries.

& see..
calvary love continues and is passed on and on:circle:

I guess I am OT.
but maybe not ...after all is God IS love

Blessings.
Kayte

Welcome, Kayte.

ITA with your whole post and no, you are not OT, but a woman after God's own heart. Thank you for seeing the "truth".

Luv, N&W

Crackers Phinn

I've said this before : If it were me, I'd remarry. But I would NOT claim that I was permitted to remarry based on what the Bible says because that would be misrepresenting God's word to others.

:yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep:

What scripture do you base this on? I don't think that God honors adultery (if your marriage is not allowed) any more than homosexuality. Sin is sin in God's eyes.

:yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep:

The book says what it says, even when it hits close to home.