Diy African Black Soap Shampoo And Ph

snoop

This question is for the ladies who make their own DIY black soap shampoos: I was wondering if you adjust for pH?

I just mixed my first batch of shampoo, but chucked it because I got a pH of 10. I added some citric acid, but it only lowered to 9. I want to clarify my hair today, but I'd also like to come up with a recipe that would be safe to use long term.

So do you adjust for pH? Also, is the black soap your main cleanser?

BeautifulRoots

Yes I do. I don't pull it too low though since I'm low porosity and my hair seems to like a slightly higher ph shampoo.

Black soap is my main cleanser, I use shampoo bars from time to time too.

NicWhite

Unfortunately, you can only decrease the pH by so much. If it is brought down to 7.0 and below it is no longer soap.

I used to wash my daughters hair with it and it ended being a tangled mess. They ended up with very bad ends. They have what I would describe as type 2 wavy hair. I had to stop.

If you decide to use it, please follow up with a conditioner between 4.0 and 5.0

BeautifulRoots

Unfortunately, you can only decrease the pH by so much. If it is brought down to 7.0 and below it is no longer soap.

I used to wash my daughters hair with it and it ended being a tangled mess. They ended up with very bad ends. They have what I would describe as type 2 wavy hair. I had to stop.

If you decide to use it, please follow up with a conditioner between 4.0 and 5.0
Interesting, did not know that.

Honeypot

I don't check the ph. I follow curly proverbz recipe. I use it weekly. If I want to clarify I do an acv prepoo