Diy Mixtress 2019

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by mzteaze, May 5, 2019.

1. water_n_oil

water_n_oil Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    That sounds great @ElevatedEnergy. I've been thinking about a milder cleanser for the girls as they don't need something like black soap every week. I've used aritha/soap nuts for laundry but have yet to try it for hair. Lots of people who avoid commercial cleansers seem to love that and shikakai.

mzteaze and ElevatedEnergy like this.
  2. ElevatedEnergy

ElevatedEnergy Herbalist in Training

Blog Posts:
    I made a Shikakai & Aritha shampoo on its own and mannnnnn my hair was super clean but when it dried, it was so soft and supple. When I read that the cocamidopropyl betaine fairs better with co-surfactants, Shikakai & Aritha was the first thing that came to mind.

MeaWea, weavepat, NowIAmNappy and 6 others like this.
  3. water_n_oil

water_n_oil Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Need to try dupes of some of my favorites...or at least come close enough

ElevatedEnergy and snoop like this.
  4. VictoriousBrownFlower

VictoriousBrownFlower Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Prisangela and ElevatedEnergy like this.
  5. ElevatedEnergy

Blog Posts:
    This is DIY related, so I'll stick it here.

I'll stick the pretty picture in first, before y'all turn up y'all fancy noses at the ugly pictures :lachen:

This is where my DIY products live..

IMAG6131.jpg

I dont have much....shampoo, deep conditioner, a leave in and some powders that I am hydrating to make a shampoo with. My shea butter lives on top! She so special!

Now on to the ugly. :lachen:

Around 2 years ago, my son knocked over a wax warmer that lived on my mini fride in my bedroom. The wax got everywhere...on the outside and the inside. My husband wanted to throw it away after claiming it to be too much work to clean up. I was like nah buddy...I can clean that...but it will be for me only. LOL

Well I got started, and it was too much so we just stuck it in the garage and ignored it. Until this morning.

This is before....

IMAG6127.jpg

This is after

IMAG6128.jpg

I scraped the wax off as much as I could with a spatula, then cleaned it with a solution of degreaser, bleach, Dawn & water.

Now she lives in my mom cave and houses my DIY products. Pretty picture again....:2inlove:

IMAG6131.jpg

6. VictoriousBrownFlower

VictoriousBrownFlower Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    WOW!!!! Now thats a job and a half.... you did great. It looks so purty!!!!!

7. ElevatedEnergy

Blog Posts:
    Need some packaging, but don't want to buy in bulk? A curl friend turned Sister just put me on to this site, so I'm passing it on to you lovely people.

https://www.containerandpackaging.com

You can request 10 free samples, and pay shipping only which is $7.50 flat.

Here's a few items I snatched up:

Screenshot_20190509-152751.jpg

I couldn't screen shot the full list, but I gotzzzz all 10 of my free samples!

MeaWea, weavepat, GGsKin and 6 others like this.
  8. ElevatedEnergy

Blog Posts:
    Thank you! I was so tired that I fell asleep after I finished! :lachen:

VictoriousBrownFlower likes this.
  9. Nightingale

Nightingale On the Grow and Keeping it Semi-DIY

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    A two days ago I experimented with PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (PEG40), adding a tablespoon to 2 ounces of my DIY leave in. I was hoping to make my leave in more moisturizing, but remain water rinsable. As soon as I mixed it, the texture of my leave in changed from thin gel to something thin and watery. I noted it, but decided to apply anyway (mistake #1). When I applied to my hair it foamed like a shampoo. I remember reading that PEG40 was a foam enhancer, but assumed it would foam in the presence of a surfactant, which my leave in doesn't have. I also noticed my hair felt clean, like shampooed no product clean. Once again, I noted it and kept applying (mistake #2). Despite the foaming, my hair looked smooth and defined, so I applied to my whole head and topped with Wetline gel. As my hair dried it looked decent and I decided to wear it as is and wash again in a few days (mistake #3).

My hair was fine the first day when it was still damp, but once it dried, IT DRIED! My hair was dull, crispy, and extremely dehydrated. I wasn't expecting that result so I went back to do more research. Long story short, I must have confused the PEG40 Hydrogenated castor oil with regular Hydrogenated Castor Oil. Despite being castor oil based they are completely different things. PEG-40 is a surfactant. So basically I shampooed my hair then left it on like an idiot, when all the signs said RINSE THIS OUT!

I washed it out today and my hair was squeaky clean and hard to detangle. I had some breakage, but not as much as I should have. I think the only thing that saved me was the fact that I had done an oil wash before applying the leave in, which thankfully gave me a barrier between my hair and the product.

Next time I'll be more careful.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    frizzy, ElevatedEnergy, snoop and 2 others like this.
  10. BeautifulRoots

BeautifulRoots Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
  11. ElevatedEnergy

Blog Posts:
    Finished finalizing my "shampoo" which is really just a Herbal Hair Wash.

Recipe:
    1 tablespoon Yucca Root Powder
    1 tablespoon additional herbs....lavender flowers really just takes the smell to another level. Slippery Elm increases the slip.
    2 cups distilled water

I leave it in my crockpot on low for a few hours, turn it off then allow it it to marinate overnight.

20190512_084133-380x515.jpg

Then strain and seperate in 7 to 8 ounce batches. I freeze what I don't use in water bottles. Hood I know...but it works! :lachen:

IMAG6256.jpg

When I'm ready to wash:
    7 to 8 ounces of the Yucca Root Botanical Blend
    (Cleanser)
    1/4 teaspoon VegeMoist (humectant)
    10 drops peppermint oil

IMAG6211.jpg

Directions:
    On dry & dirty hair, coat hair and scalp...massage in, place my hair in 3 braids, then let it sit under a plastic cap for 20 to 30 minutes to break down all dirt and debris.

Rinse in shower, and continue pouring and massaging the herbal wash in your hair and scalp until its all gone. You hair will be clean. I've used it twice and this mixture has been able to remove gel and shea butter from my hair. I lubs it. :2inlove:

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  12. ElevatedEnergy

Blog Posts:
    @BeautifulRoots has inspired me revisit my Black Soap Shampoo. Once I use up my Herbal Wash, I'll clarify with it. I plan on adding some pumpkin and fig powder to the new batch. I'll list the recipe once I make it in a few weeks and try it out.

GGsKin and BeautifulRoots like this.
  13. ElevatedEnergy

Blog Posts:
    The New African Black Soap works really well on my kids hair... I'll stick to my Yucca Root wash for my own hair.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  14. BeautifulRoots

BeautifulRoots Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Oooo looks so good! Is it the yucca root powder that has the cleansing properties in this mix?

15. ElevatedEnergy

Blog Posts:
  16. snoop

snoop Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    I want to try making my own oil infusions. Can you suggest a ratio of oil vs herb/petal/beans/etc.?

17. snoop

snoop Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Do you think that if I were to infuse ginger or garlic in oil that I would have to worry about rancidity? What about onion (since it has a great water content)?

ETA I think that I'd probably have to dehydrate the ginger and garlic first...???

18. I Am Number Four.

I Am Number Four. Member

Blog Posts:
    I have two Ayurvedic based recipes that I have used with success since my hair is too long to keep up with expenses from store-bought deep conditioners. I do not really have a set amount prepared for each ingredient since I make more or less depending upon how much I think I need for a given week. Additionally, the numbers are based on how much each goes into the mix relative to the other ingredients.

Strengthening Deep Conditioner
    1. Base deep conditioner (store bought; my goal is to stretch the number of uses)
    2. Cassia powder
    3. EDIT: Fenugreek powder
    4. Aloe Vera gel or juice (choose based on consistency)
    5. Apple Cider Vinegar
    6. Bragg's Liquid Aminos (I add 1 tbsp optionally as a "protein" treatment since the soy protein is hydrolyzed)

Moisturizing Deep Conditioner
    1. Base deep conditioner (same as above)
    2. Cassia powder
    3. Amla powder
    4. Hibiscus petals (I grind them with water to make a puree)
    5. Honey
    6. Coconut Oil

As a plus, I recently created a Shea butter mix to replace my old one so that I do not have to follow the LOC method. The mix is smooth, creamy, and has a light nutty smell relative to pure Shea butter.

1. Shea butter, unrefined
    2. Coconut Oil
    3. Olive Oil and Avocado Oil (roughly the same amount)
    4. Jamaican Black Castor Oil

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019 at 6:24 PM