Diy Mixtress into the 2020s

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Fenugreek

Benefits to hair:

Fenugreek seeds are rich in folic acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin K and Vitamin C, and are a storehouse of minerals such as potassium, calcium and iron. Fenugreek seeds also have high protein and nicotinic acid content, which are known to be beneficial against hair fall and dandruff, and in treating a variety of scalp issues like dryness of hair, baldness and hair thinning. It contains large amounts of lecithin, which hydrates the hair and strengthens the roots or hair follicles. The seeds also help in moisturizing the hair and bringing back the luster and bounce.

How to Buy:
Fenugreek (Methi) seeds
Fenugreek (Methi) powder

You can purchase:
- Online retailers
- Local Indian grocery stores (usually the most cost effective method)
- Spice retailers

How to prepare:

1) Add seeds to oils for infusion.
2) Soak seeds in hot water, drain and use as a spritz
3) Hydrate the powder to use in masks or other applications.

Recommended videos:

1) How to prepare hydrated fenugreek
Note: The video is in Italian. I recommend turning on closed captions in English to get full directions.

mzteaze

Preservatives for DIY products :

I found this article helpful to determine which product to use to preserve your homemade treats.
==============================
What is a preservative?

A preservative is an anti-microbial solution that helps to prevent mold and other yucky things from growing in your products.

This lotion did not have a proper preservative. Yikes.

Why would you use a preservative?

Preservatives are needed in any product that has water in it to prevent bacteria and mold from growing in it. If you don’t use a preservative something icky like this may happen to your product (bummer, right?).

What kind of preservatives are out there?

Many people like their products and soaps to be all-natural, but sometimes there just isn’t a way to make everything 100% natural. Currently there isn’t a good quality, affordable, all-natural preservative on the market for home crafters. I have done quite a bit of research into this and come up with what I think is a great range of preservative options:

Germaben – Germaben is a fabulous preservative to us when you are diluting Bramble Berry’s Lab Colors, as it keeps any nasties from growing in your colors (go here to learn how to dilute your LabColors using Germaben). It is also great preservative to use when you are making lotions, as it helps to keep them nice and creamy. Usage rate: .3-1% of the total weight of the recipe and must be used at temperatures lower than 140 degrees.

Optiphen – Optiphen is a paraben and formaldehyde-free preservative. It is best to use in your oil-based recipes like shampoos, conditioners, and some lotions. Found out how to use Optiphen when making your own homemade conditioner. Usage rate: .5-1.5% of the total weight of the recipe and must be used at temperatures lower than 176 degrees.

Optiphen ND– Optiphen ND is a water-soluble, broad spectrum preservative. This preservative works best in surfactant based systems, shampoos, conditioners, gels, creams, and lotions. Usage Rate: 1% of the total weight of your recipe and must be used at a temperature lower than 176°F.

Optiphen Plus – Optiphen Plus is a water-soluble, paraben- and formaldehyde-free preservative. You can use Optiphen Plus in any recipe your are using water in and it helps to protect against bacteria, mold growth and even yeast! Usage rate: .75-1.5% of the total weight of the recipe and must be used at temperatures lower than 176 degrees.

Phenonip – Phenonip is a liquid preservative that helps to suppress the full range of microbial growth in your cremes, lotions, salt scrubs, dusting powders and liquid soap bases. When making products at a higher temperature, this is going to be the preservative you are going to want to use. Usage rate: .5-1% of the total weight of the recipe and must be used at temperatures lower than 200 degrees.

What is NOT a preservative!

An anti-oxidant is not a preservative. It lacks the anti-microbial qualities that other actual preservatives (Phenonip, Germaben, and Optiphen) possess. Many people get confused when they are researching preservatives and what is or isn’t a product that can help preserve their lotions and scrubs. We believe that a full-spectrum preservative (like Optiphen, Phenonip or Germaben) must be used to truly prevent mold and bacterial growth in your lotion products.

Grapefruit Seed Extract – Grapefruit Seed Extract (commonly known as GSE) is a thick and golden antioxidant that helps to prevent your oils from going bad in your lotions and lotion bars, but is not a preservative. We never recommend using GSE as the only preservative in your products. But if you are looking for a great anti-oxidant, GSE is the one to go with!

Rosemary Oleoresin – Rosemary Oleoresin, also known as Rosemary Oil Extract or ROE is an oil-soluble, all-natural extract that is used to prevent rancidity in lotions and oil-products. It helps to extend the shelf life of your product, but as with GSE, will not preserve it.

Vitamin E – Vitamin E is a thick and viscous oil that is super easy to mix into lotions, liquid oils, and even bath bombs for its skin-loving properties. It is a wonderful anti-oxidant, but it isn’t considered a preservative because it has no antimicrobial properties to it. Many home crafters use it thinking it will preserve their products, but all it can do is extend the life of the oils in your product (similarly to ROE and GSE).

What products need preservatives?

You wouldn’t want to find that your fabulous sugar scrub went bad after a few weeks, would you? Any recipe that includes water in it or any product that may get water in it needs a preservative. That includes most lotions and cremes, sugar or salt scrubs, and some types of body powders. Preservatives aren’t generally necessary in liquid soaps, but can be added if desired.

Check out these recipes using Bramble Berry’s preservatives:

Tangle-Free Shampoo & Conditioner (Optiphen)

After Sun Spritzer (Germaben)

Soothing Sunburn Lotion (Phenonip)

Lotion from Scratch (Phenonip)

Skin Firming Cream (Germaben/Phenonip)

Do salt scrubs need a preservative?

Technically, no. Most sugar and salt scrubs do not contain water. When there’s no water in the product then you do not need to add a preservative. Now take a minute to think about where most sugar and salt scrubs are stored and used. Yep! They are stored and used in the shower where water may be introduced, which could potentially start mold growth. Ack! So what does that mean? It’s better to be safe than sorry. Long story short, I would add a preservative to you your scrubs.

Does soap need a preservative?

You never have to use preservatives in your cold process or melt & pour projects. Maybe you’re thinking, “There’s water in my soap, doesn’t that mean I have use a preservative?” Nope! Both Cold Process and Melt and Pour soaps both have a pH level that does not allow mold or bacteria growth in your soaps. Liquid soap does not need a preservative either but it doesn’t hurt to add a little just to be extra careful.

Using a preservative in your products is not required, but it is a responsible way to ensure that your products don’t reach your customers or gift recipients containing mold or bacteria.

Article from : https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/lotion/talk-it-out-tuesday-preservatives/

VictoriousBrownFlower

ok i'll bite... I didn't know anything about preservatives so tend to make this and use it the day i make them.

SUPER Moisturizing dc:
1 banana
1/2 an avocado
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp coconut milk powder
1 tsp yogurt powder
1 tbsp herbal oil infusion

prepare banana and avocado using this method using aloe vera gel instead of water

put them in old dc jar and mix other ingredients
Leave on 30 min -1 hr with hot head

The same dc can be made into a protein dc with the addition of neutral protein filler

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I have been obsessed with all things Rose Water. I just find it to be so hydrating to the skin and hair. I make my own now using this tutorial.

I've made it around 6 times now and my best recipe has been:

1 cup of dried rose/buds
6 cups of distilled water

It yields around 6 ounces of pure rose water.

Dried roses/buds can be purchased for a pretty good price here:

https://www.bulkapothecary.com/rose-buds-petals-red/

VictoriousBrownFlower

Black soap bentonite clay and herb shampoo for growth and thickening:
1 oz black soap
1 tbsp herbal infused oil (herb mix : https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1572699659 with Avocado Oil, Hemp Seed Oil, Safflower Oil, and jamaican black castor oil to cover herbs. Pour into make shift double boiler and let simmer on lowest setting for 7-8 hrs. Pour oil back into mason jar)
6 oz herbal tea (empty tea filter bag filled with: Rosemary Leaf, Burdock Root, Saw Palmetto Berries, Rosehips, Fenugreek Seed, Nettle Leaf placed in 6oz of hot water outside fridge until water is room temp )

add black soap, 1 tbsp bentonite clay, and herbal oil to tea mix thats been reheated for 1 min tops in microwave. add essential or fragrance oil of ur choice for fragrance once black soap is melted and put in squeeze bottle. Makes enough for 3-4 uses and stays fresh in fridge.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Here are some channels I like for DIY

She is very talkative but she explains well. Her blog is good too....very informative.....especially on preservatives.

Bae all day....owner of Brambleberry.

Newly discovered:

Another good channel.

She is really good at explaining ingredients and how they work on the hair. However, she will sell a recipe in a hot minute and remove part of the video, so you have to write the recipes down while they are up. :lachen:She got me hooked on NatureSilk. That stuff is hella good! Her blog is good too. She has an entire forum dedicated to DIY. I've been thinking about sliding over that way as it is a bit more catered to my needs. (Hair Wise)

snoop

I have been obsessed with all things Rose Water. I just find it to be so hydrating to the skin and hair. I make my own now using this tutorial.

I've made it around 6 times now and my best recipe has been:

1 cup of dried rose/buds
6 cups of distilled water

It yields around 6 ounces of pure rose water.

Dried roses/buds can be purchased for a pretty good price here:

https://www.bulkapothecary.com/rose-buds-petals-red/

If you're using RW on your hair, what are the benefits? Also, are you supposed to use it diluted or straight?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
If you're using RW on your hair, what are the benefits? Also, are you supposed to use it diluted or straight?

The benefits are in the description of the video. He also explains how to dilute it with glycerin etc....which I dont do. I just thought it would be nice to show different ways to use it.

How I personally use it:

*I use as is...the clear, potent rose water. I use it from head to toe.

(Not the water with the red rose dye in it)
With the recipe I use...there is hardly any left anyway. It actually stained my bathroom countertop red, so I was too scared to use it on my hair for fear of my color changing. :lachen:

*I also use it as a base for other hair products I create.

mzteaze

Here are some channels I like for DIY

She is very talkative but she explains well. Her blog is good too....very informative.....especially on preservatives.

Bae all day....owner of Brambleberry.

Newly discovered:

Another good channel.

She is really good at explaining ingredients and how they work on the hair. However, she will sell a recipe in a hot minute and remove part of the video, so you have to write the recipes down while they are up. :lachen:She got me hooked on NatureSilk. That stuff is hella good! Her blog is good too. She has an entire forum dedicated to DIY. I've been thinking about sliding over that way as it is a bit more catered to my needs. (Hair Wise)

I just knew you would have some excellent recommendations. Adding these to my must watch videos.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Tool 1 of 3 that every mixtress should have in her arsenal.

A scale. I like this one.

You want your mixes to be as consistent as possible. A scale will help you in that area. Measure everything. Write it down...with a real pen on some real paper. Keep a recipe journal of your experiments, hits and misses.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Tool 3 of 3

Glass Mason Jars. I like these

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Glass-Mason-Jar-w-Lid-Band-Wide-Mouth-32-Ounces-12-Count/16930173

They will be helpful for oil infusions, tea infusions...the mouth is wide enough to even stick your immersion blender in for mixing your conditioners. You can store your dried herbs/powders/raw ingredients in them. Please trust me on this one. Mason jars....get them.

IMAG6081.jpg
I just recently found these at my local grocery store. If you have a Weis near you,check there.

IMAG6073.jpg

These are good for your pumpable products. The mouth is wide enough to pour the finished product in without a funnel (even if said product is thick) and the pump does not clog.

IMAG6074.jpg

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Not a must have, but extremely helpful

Packaging.

I buy all my bottles/jars/packaging from here. They have been the most cost effective company....taking into consideration that you can buy in bulk and save major money.

https://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin171g.html
*example*

I can buy a 24 pack of 8 oz bottles for around $25, yet someone else on etsy may charge you $15 for the same size but you only get 4. Trust me on this one too. Bulk is better in this area.

Last edited:

water_n_oil

Not a must have, but extremely helpful

Packaging.

I buy all my bottles/jars/packaging from here. They have been the most cost effective company....taking into consideration that you can buy in bulk and save major money.

https://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin171g.html
*example*

I can buy a 24 pack of 8 oz bottles for around $25, yet someone else on etsy may charge you $15 for the same size but you only get 4. Trust me on this one too. Bulk is better in this area.
Here's another good one I've used. Priced about the same. I also have gotten bottles from The Vitamin Shoppe for a fair enough price when I just wanted one or two.
https://www.specialtybottle.com/

water_n_oil

Amen to that tool list lol. I love my scale. I haven't gotten myself an immersion blender yet. Ball mason jar cases are on sale at Target this week. Speaking of Target, I always see nice jars and glass or ceramic containers in their dollar spot for those times you want to avoid shipping costs & waste. Dollar Tree sells jars too. I've also recycled jars in the past as I buy drinks or other things that come in glass.

Last edited:

VictoriousBrownFlower

Got another recipe i've been getting asked about recently

Fenty Lava shea butter dupe:

Put your shea butter in a 32 oz mason jar to comfortably fill the mason jar.
Add oils of ur choice ( i use hemp seed, avocado, and reg castor oil (also unrefined coconut oil when i have it).
add a tbsp of all oils (*at one time)and mix with a spoon (repeat this step until smooth like a thick pudding or cake batter)
Then add 1 oz of loose pigment (gold, rose gold, and copper would be great choices dep on complexion)
and either essential or fragrance oil to scent(mix with spoon until blended nicely).
Lastly whip with a blender til its a nice consistency for you.
and done.

When using wait at least 10-15 min for it to soak in b4 putting on clothes. it transfers but soaks in fast.
ur left with soft shimmery skin and it covers all imperfects (just not 100%) plus treats them at the same time.

BeautifulRoots

Tool 1 of 3 that every mixtress should have in her arsenal.

A scale. I like this one.

You want your mixes to be as consistent as possible. A scale will help you in that area. Measure everything. Write it down...with a real pen on some real paper. Keep a recipe journal of your experiments, hits and misses.

I just started using a scale to measure and write recipes down. Hoping that over time my mixes will be more consistent as I'm documenting.

BeautifulRoots

Also calculators help when converting recipes you find in percents to weight/volume and vice versa.

I made a shea mix last night that I weighed on a scale in grams. I was curious what the grams were in percents so I could reuse the recipe in the future, so I used this calculator that goes from weight/volume to percents:

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/calculators/Percentage_Calculator.aspx

And you can do the opposite from percents to weight/volume:

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/calculators/Batch_Size_Calculator.aspx

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I have mastered my African Black Soap Shampoo, so I'm itching to move on to my next cleanser. I was going to try a cleansing conditioner, but decided to play around with an Ayurvedic Botanical type shampoo instead. I don't have all the percentages worked out in my head, but I know I want something that cleanses well yet is not stripping.....something that can be an every wash type cleanser....black soap is more clarifying. So I'm thinking...

Cocamidopropyl Betaine as my base surfactant. From my research, this is a very gentle and mild cleanser and most people combine it with other surfactants. I'm going to combine it with a Shikakai and Aritha tea I made to support it as a cleanser.

I know I want it to be full of herbs and botanicals...especially those good for scalp care.

I know I want it to have a humectant. I wash my hair in the shower...its full of heat and steam, so a humectant in a shampoo just seems right. I'm thinking honey powder or VegeMoist (Beet Sugar Extract)....shoot maybe even booth!

I know I want it to leave a little moisture behind. I dont like oils in cleansers, so some fruit powders instead. From past experiments with clays and powders in cleansers....they dont mix well and always settle to the bottom or float to the top, so I have some Polysorbate 80 on standby if needed. It's also a mild surfactant as well.

Citric Acid also on standby too if needed to adjust the PH.

I'll be making some test batches soon. I'll keep the thread updated.

Links to some of the ingredients and benefits:

Cocamidopropyl Betaine https://www.makingcosmetics.com/Coco-Betaine_p_273.html (Open description for benefits)

VegeMoist: http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item/VegeMoist_/894

https://www.curlytea.com/0324/beet-sugar-extract-glycine-betaine.html

Shikakai, Acacia concinna,is referred to as "fruit for the hair." It has a naturally mild pH, and it gently cleans hair and increases bounciness and silkiness of hair without stripping it of natural oils. As a natural hair conditioner, Shikakai is said to promote hair growth, strengthen hair roots and clear dandruff.

Aritha, Sapindus mukorrosi,also known as Soapnuts, is an excellent hair tonic, long known for its benefits for healthy hair and scalp. Used for centuries as an anti hair loss shampoo, the natural antifungal, and antibacterial properties may help with dandruff. The natural saponins not only cleanse hair, they add body and sheen and make hair feel thicker, silky and smooth.

Polysorbate 80: https://www.makingcosmetics.com/Polysorbate-80_p_134.html
(Open description)