Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I am trying to oil- and waterproof my bottles because I am tired of opening them to see what is what.

I got some clear contact paper and cut them into 9X4 cm rectangles. I can get a total of 4 out of each row:

I have had these 3X1" labels for many years and can fit up to 3 handwritten lines on each with a ultra-fine tip Sharpie. I want them as small as possible so the adhesive adheres to mostly the bottle :

The hard part is getting that stupid backing off, even with nails. This one was positioned too low, but I do not use this mix much:

I hope this works...

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Moisture Deep Conditioner

Just like the balm I showed above, this recipe is not hard. I think everyone at some point has added oil or honey to their favorite conditioner....this is just my take on it.

Ingredients & Directions:

View attachment 403611

1/4 cup of my Ayurvedic Herbal Oil
1/4 cup cup melted Mango butter
1/2 cup Trader Joes TTT cond
Spoonful of honey

Melt mango butter on top of candle warmer. Once fully melted, add in other ingredients and mix with hand mixer.

View attachment 403613

View attachment 403615

I don't have to deep condition often. Tea rinsing, just using regular rinse out conditioner & mango butter allows my hair to always be in a conditioned and balanced state of moisture and strength. I usually only deep condition after a full henna/indigo treatment or if I wanna be extra. So this recipe last me a long time.

Optional:

If I feel like I need extra moisture, I'll add in 1/2 teaspoon of aloe vera powder before applying.

If I feel like I need extra strength yet still want to keep it on the moisture side, I'll add in 5 drops of silk amino acids before applying.

Or whatever else if I feel like adding that I want to be extra with, but the base recipe works well on its own.

Updating as I've been playing around with different measurements and adding a few new things. This version was too good not to share.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup melted butter. I used a combo of mango butter, cocoa butter and capuacu butter.
1/2 cup of Conditioner (TJ TTT)
1 tablespoon of either Manuka Honey OR creamed honey
1 tablespoon Ayurvedic oil

image.jpg

Directions same as above. However after mixing everything together, I stuck it in the fridge so the butters could harden a bit and then whipped until my 8 ounces became a fluffy and light 12 ounces.

image.jpg

It spread easily, soaked right into my hair with amazing slip allowing me to detangle. It smells like a sweet mint chocolate chip treat.

image.jpg

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I always put my end results in here but I figure I would put my trail in here as well. Experimenting and trying to perfect a DIY protein treatment.

So this is the beginning of the testing phase. :giggle:

Ingredients for trail 1:
Oat straw herbs
Coconut oil
Silk Amino Acids

image.jpg

I placed around 1 ounce of oat straw in a small mason jar.

image.jpg

Poured in coconut oil up until the 3 ounce mark.

image.jpg

Placed the jar in my window sill to infuse while I'm out town for the week. (Ignore the other jars. When I tried to crop them out, it made the pic too big to upload)

image.jpg

I'll update once I'm back in town and ready to strain and add in the SAA.

snoop

Awesome recipes ladies!

Thanks @lulu97 for giving us step by step pictorials too :yep:

@Sharpened and @snoop ... Would you ladies mind posting your clay recipes/regimens for cleansing your hair? Thanks!!

I use 4 heaping tablespoons of kaolin clay and enough water to make it the consistency that I like (not to much because it is very thin unlike bentonite and rhassoul). If I have it on hand, I will also add 2 tablespoons of goat milk powder. Easy.

I found when I was using the other powders -- bentonite, pink clay, rhassoul, red clay -- I'd add oils and coconut milk and all sorts. Too complicated for me now.

CocoGlow

I use 4 heaping tablespoons of kaolin clay and enough water to make it the consistency that I like (not to much because it is very thin unlike bentonite and rhassoul). If I have it on hand, I will also add 2 tablespoons of goat milk powder. Easy.

I found when I was using the other powders -- bentonite, pink clay, rhassoul, red clay -- I'd add oils and coconut milk and all sorts. Too complicated for me now.

Thanks Sis! Wow it's so simple - that is right up my alley because I've already become way too lazy when it comes to my hair :giggle:

Do you apply it to dry or damp hair?
Do you let it "marinate" under a plastic cap? If so, how long?
What do you use on your hair after rinsing?

snoop

Thanks Sis! Wow it's so simple - that is right up my alley because I've already become way too lazy when it comes to my hair :giggle:

Do you apply it to dry or damp hair?
Do you let it "marinate" under a plastic cap? If so, how long?
What do you use on your hair after rinsing?

I think once you dabble with WOHW (water only hair washing) you know you're looking for the least amount of steps possible for hair care.

I use the clay just like I would a shampoo, so maybe 2-5 minutes in my hair then I'm done. I soak my hair under water until it softens, then add the clay to my scalp and the length of my hair. I keep my hair in whatever two strand twists I'm wearing at the time, so either medium or mini. I concentrate on cleansing my scalp and then just rub my hands down the length of my twists a few times to clean them. Then I rinse. After I will follow up with conditioner. I learned from using the other clays that you can't just depend on water to get that stuff out. Kaolin is so much easier to rinse out but I take no chances.

You can sit with the clay in your hair for as long as you want, but I find that like the other clays the longer you leave it in the more detoxing it is. I used to leave my clays in for up to an hour. I really don't have that time anymore, plus I don't think it's necessary on my hair. I find that the extended time makes my hair feel a bit rough. I can't remember if that only lasted during the washing phase, though.

After that's all done I plop with a t-shirt then I'll LCO. If I'm re-doing my twists then I'll L, re-twist, then CO.

CocoGlow

I think once you dabble with WOHW (water only hair washing) you know you're looking for the least amount of steps possible for hair care.

I use the clay just like I would a shampoo, so maybe 2-5 minutes in my hair then I'm done. I soak my hair under water until it softens, then add the clay to my scalp and the length of my hair. I keep my hair in whatever two strand twists I'm wearing at the time, so either medium or mini. I concentrate on cleansing my scalp and then just rub my hands down the length of my twists a few times to clean them. Then I rinse. After I will follow up with conditioner. I learned from using the other clays that you can't just depend on water to get that stuff out. Kaolin is so much easier to rinse out but I take no chances.

You can sit with the clay in your hair for as long as you want, but I find that like the other clays the longer you leave it in the more detoxing it is. I used to leave my clays in for up to an hour. I really don't have that time anymore, plus I don't think it's necessary on my hair. I find that the extended time makes my hair feel a bit rough. I can't remember if that only lasted during the washing phase, though.

After that's all done I plop with a t-shirt then I'll LCO. If I'm re-doing my twists then I'll L, re-twist, then CO.

Thanks for the details sis! Yes the simpler the better - I have been absolutely spoiled by the WOW regimen :giggle: So glad to hear that you don't need to sit with clay on your hair for a set period of time for it to work. I think clarifying with clay could be something I do 1-2x a month to make sure that I am not getting any buildup.

I haven't used conditioner in so long but I could see how it might be necessary to follow-up with something after a clay cleanse. I think when I try this I will try something natural like banana baby food as a conditioner to see how that works first. I just love my sebum and don't want to strip it with a commercial conditioner but I am sure there may be some brands that won't strip my hair.

What products do you use to condition & style your hair?
Have you ever used "food" to condition your hair?
How often do you use clay to cleanse?

snoop

Thanks for the details sis! Yes the simpler the better - I have been absolutely spoiled by the WOW regimen :giggle: So glad to hear that you don't need to sit with clay on your hair for a set period of time for it to work. I think clarifying with clay could be something I do 1-2x a month to make sure that I am not getting any buildup.

I haven't used conditioner in so long but I could see how it might be necessary to follow-up with something after a clay cleanse. I think when I try this I will try something natural like banana baby food as a conditioner to see how that works first. I just love my sebum and don't want to strip it with a commercial conditioner but I am sure there may be some brands that won't strip my hair.

What products do you use to condition & style your hair?
Have you ever used "food" to condition your hair?
How often do you use clay to cleanse?

I've been lazy and have been using shampoo, but I was clay washing weekly for the past 3 to 4 years.

I used food back when I first went natural but I think it's overrated. That said, mayo with oils mixed in works well on my hair for detangling. But I find it easier to mix the oils with my conditioner and some KCKT and get the same detangling effect. I don't really DC, though.

I've been using Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner for about the same length of time that I've been using the clay. I really like it, but I realized the other day I'm going to have to buy something else for those occasions when I detangle with a comb. I didn't realize how much slip it doesn't have and could account for why I lose a lot of hair on those occasional comb detangling sessions.

As for moistuizer, it's something that I DIY. My spritz is Giovanni Direct leave in diluted in a spray bottle. And I seal with Broccoli Seed oil. (See the end of page 3 of this thread.)

snoop

So here is the oil blend that I was experimenting with.

The only problem (for me) is that although this oil feels nice and light it doesn't fully absorb into my hair. I normally just use broccoli seed oil to seal and I'm good to go -- even when I'm heavy handed. But after the thread about the Chad Baggara Arabs I have been considering this an opportunity to pay attention to my ends by oiling them more. The unfortunate thing is that when I first went natural, oils would sit on my hair. Not a good thing for my furniture, sheets, clothes, walls, etc. So I'll have to experiment on how best to use this oil (hair? body?) and to decide whether or not I should make another batch after this one is done.

So, I've been using this blend as an oil cleanser but I think it's a miss in terms off making it again. It feels smooth and light as it melts in my hands but it feels so drying after, yet slightly greasy in the surface level -- if that makes any sense.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@lulu97, @snoop, @Sharpened

I'm running out of my HG prepoo, and I won't repurchase because I don't send funds to Shea Moisture anymore.

I'm trying my BEST not to add a new purchase to my line-up of staples.

Can you guys suggest how I could make this product at home: http://www.jmoniquesnaturals.com/peppermint-pre-poo-with-cherry-bark-teas-8oz/ ? I've got a few of the ingredients at home.

What amounts of the ingredients below would you use? (I put a "strikethrough" through ingredients I don't have, but I'm willing to get them.)

I'm not going to invest in cherry bark, but instead try fenugreek seeds/power for silkiness.

Here's the prepoo product description, from the site:

Directions: Gently detangle hair. Apply Pre-Poo from root to tip. Cover with a plastic cap & allow to sit for 15 - 30 minutes. Rinse hair & follow wash regimen.

Ingredients: Water, Black Tea, Green Tea, Chamomile Tea, Aloe Vera Gel, Cherry Bark, Shea Butter, Palm Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Coconut Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Natural Emulsifying Wax, Peppermint Oil, Preservative.

Black Tea - Due to an abundance of antioxidants and caffeine, black tea is considered extremely beneficial for hair. Black tea can be incorporated into your hair care regimen for stronger and damage free hair. Caffeine present in black tea helps in decreasing DHT (Dihydrotestosterone), a hormone found in the scalp which causes hair loss. Thus, black tea helps in increasing hair thickness and lowering hair loss.

Green Tea - Green tea is known to inhibit the growth of DHT (Dihydrotestosterone), which is known to hinder hair growth and cause hair fall. It also helps in preventing and curing common hair problems such as dandruff and psoriasis by reducing the inflammation due to its antiseptic properties. Green tea is also known to stimulate hair growth and soften the hair. It contains polyphenols, Vitamin E and Vitamin C, which are known to boost lustrous hair.

Chamomile Tea - Chamomile tea is innately instilled with amazing healing, anti-oxidant, cleansing and moisturizing properties. Chamomile is also found to be highly effectual in preventing and eliminating dandruff. In addition, it also soothes irritated scalp.

Cherry Bark - Wild cherry bark is a great conditioner for the hair. When applied, hair is smoother and silky.

Shea Butter - Contains fatty acids & plant sterols that are effective at healing the scalp & hair. It is effective in soothing dry itchy scalp or dandruff. Being rich in vitamins A and E, it soothes dryness, repairs breakage and mends split ends. Hence, it is extremely effective in providing relief against dry scalp, dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis.

Aloe Vera Gel - Clinical studies show that Aloe Vera enhances cellular rejuvenation and provides the building blocks for hair proteins. Additionally, its anti-inflammatory properties protect against damage to the scalp and hair. Helps to condition hair and adds slip.

Vegetable Glycerin - A humectant that attracts and retains moisture, resulting in supple and resilient hair that looks and feels full. Because Vegetable Glycerin pulls water from its surroundings, it is an effective moisturizer when used in a diluted form. It is especially good for dry, frizzy or brittle hair. In addition, it helps to alleviate dry or flaky scalps.

Rice Bran Oil - Vitamin E and antioxidant-rich oil provides nourishment to the hair follicles & scalp. The Ferulic Acid and Esters present in rice bran oil stimulate hair growth while theantioxidants, such as omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids, nourish hair while staving off the affects of premature graying.

Coconut Oil - Coconut oil stimulates hair growth getting deep into its follicles & promotes the scalp health fighting against such problems as insect bites, lice and dandruff. It moisturizes dry hair and adds luster, shine and softness. Coconut oil prevents hair breakage and split ends, contributing to hair length. It also slows down hair loss.

Palm Oil - Contains the hard to find Toctrienols, which are members of the Vitamin E family. It has the ability to remove oil and dirt from hair and skin and also contains a refatting agent that helps restore the hair and skin's natural oils that most soaps and shampoos strip away.​

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97, @snoop, @Sharpened

I'm running out of my HG prepoo, and I won't repurchase because I don't send funds to Shea Moisture anymore.

I'm trying my BEST not to add a new purchase to my line-up of staples.

Can you guys suggest how I could make this product at home: http://www.jmoniquesnaturals.com/peppermint-pre-poo-with-cherry-bark-teas-8oz/ ? I've got a few of the ingredients at home.

What amounts of the ingredients below would you use? (I put a "strikethrough" through ingredients I don't have, but I'm willing to get them.)

I'm not going to invest in cherry bark, but instead try fenugreek seeds/power for silkiness.

Here's the prepoo product description, from the site:

Directions: Gently detangle hair. Apply Pre-Poo from root to tip. Cover with a plastic cap & allow to sit for 15 - 30 minutes. Rinse hair & follow wash regimen.

Ingredients: Water, Black Tea, Green Tea, Chamomile Tea, Aloe Vera Gel, Cherry Bark, Shea Butter, Palm Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Coconut Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Natural Emulsifying Wax, Peppermint Oil, Preservative.

Black Tea - Due to an abundance of antioxidants and caffeine, black tea is considered extremely beneficial for hair. Black tea can be incorporated into your hair care regimen for stronger and damage free hair. Caffeine present in black tea helps in decreasing DHT (Dihydrotestosterone), a hormone found in the scalp which causes hair loss. Thus, black tea helps in increasing hair thickness and lowering hair loss.

Green Tea - Green tea is known to inhibit the growth of DHT (Dihydrotestosterone), which is known to hinder hair growth and cause hair fall. It also helps in preventing and curing common hair problems such as dandruff and psoriasis by reducing the inflammation due to its antiseptic properties. Green tea is also known to stimulate hair growth and soften the hair. It contains polyphenols, Vitamin E and Vitamin C, which are known to boost lustrous hair.

Chamomile Tea - Chamomile tea is innately instilled with amazing healing, anti-oxidant, cleansing and moisturizing properties. Chamomile is also found to be highly effectual in preventing and eliminating dandruff. In addition, it also soothes irritated scalp.

Cherry Bark - Wild cherry bark is a great conditioner for the hair. When applied, hair is smoother and silky.

Shea Butter - Contains fatty acids & plant sterols that are effective at healing the scalp & hair. It is effective in soothing dry itchy scalp or dandruff. Being rich in vitamins A and E, it soothes dryness, repairs breakage and mends split ends. Hence, it is extremely effective in providing relief against dry scalp, dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis.

Aloe Vera Gel - Clinical studies show that Aloe Vera enhances cellular rejuvenation and provides the building blocks for hair proteins. Additionally, its anti-inflammatory properties protect against damage to the scalp and hair. Helps to condition hair and adds slip.

Vegetable Glycerin - A humectant that attracts and retains moisture, resulting in supple and resilient hair that looks and feels full. Because Vegetable Glycerin pulls water from its surroundings, it is an effective moisturizer when used in a diluted form. It is especially good for dry, frizzy or brittle hair. In addition, it helps to alleviate dry or flaky scalps.

Rice Bran Oil - Vitamin E and antioxidant-rich oil provides nourishment to the hair follicles & scalp. The Ferulic Acid and Esters present in rice bran oil stimulate hair growth while theantioxidants, such as omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids, nourish hair while staving off the affects of premature graying.

Coconut Oil - Coconut oil stimulates hair growth getting deep into its follicles & promotes the scalp health fighting against such problems as insect bites, lice and dandruff. It moisturizes dry hair and adds luster, shine and softness. Coconut oil prevents hair breakage and split ends, contributing to hair length. It also slows down hair loss.

Palm Oil - Contains the hard to find Toctrienols, which are members of the Vitamin E family. It has the ability to remove oil and dirt from hair and skin and also contains a refatting agent that helps restore the hair and skin's natural oils that most soaps and shampoos strip away.​

@YvetteWithJoy But you leaving out all the good stuff Sis! LOL If I had to dupe the recipe I would do the following:

I would probably use only one of the teas between the green and the black. They both contain caffeine so you wouldn't wanna over do it if it's your first time using caffeine in your hair.

I would start off by maybe steeping 1 bag of green tea and 1 tablespoon of chamomile herbs in 8 ounces of water. You could also put your fenugreek seeds in the infusion (not much...maybe a teaspoon as they will soak up much of the water)

Strain...use 2 ounces of this herbal infusion.

Then maybe an ounce of melted butter or oil.

A tablespoon each of glycerin and aloe vera gel.

Should have around 4'ish ounces of product by now.

You can thicken the mixture to your liking in a few ways:

You can add a very small amount of guar gum or xanthum gum and stir while the mixture is warm. This will also give the mixture a bit of slip.

If you do decide to use a melted butter, once you mix everything together...stick it in the fridge so the butter can harden a bit....then whip some air into it.

So basically, my overall formula would be around 75% liquid to 25% oils/butter especially since this is a prepoo and you are doing it on dry hair.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy But you leaving out all the good stuff Sis! LOL If I had to dupe the recipe I would do the following:

I would probably use only one of the teas between the green and the black. They both contain caffeine so you wouldn't wanna over do it if it's your first time using caffeine in your hair.

I would start off by maybe steeping 1 bag of green tea and 1 tablespoon of chamomile herbs in 8 ounces of water. You could also put your fenugreek seeds in the infusion (not much...maybe a teaspoon as they will soak up much of the water)

Strain...use 2 ounces of this herbal infusion.

Then maybe an ounce of melted butter or oil.

A tablespoon each of glycerin and aloe vera gel.

Should have around 4'ish ounces of product by now.

You can thicken the mixture to your liking in a few ways:

You can add a very small amount of guar gum or xanthum gum and stir while the mixture is warm. This will also give the mixture a bit of slip.

If you do decide to use a melted butter, once you mix everything together...stick it in the fridge so the butter can harden a bit....then whip some air into it.

So basically, my overall formula would be around 75% liquid to 25% oils/butter especially since this is a prepoo and you are doing it on dry hair.

Thanks!

I noted that I only crossed out ingredients to indicate those I don't currently have.

I am MORE than open to purchasing the additional ingredients. :yep:

guyaneseyankee

Just received some rice bran oil in the mail. Not sure why I ordered. Saw hair growth, I'm satisfied. :bouncegreen:Off to look up some recipes.

snoop

@YvetteWithJoy

So this is what I came up with since the original sounds like an emulsified product:

WATER PHASE
46.25 % Distilled water*
18 % AVJ (Substituted instead of AVG)
2 % Vegetable glycerine
* I would add 1 teabag each of the black tea, green tea, and camomile tea to the heat and hold process of this phase

OIL PHASE
10 % Macadamia butter*
10 % Rice bran oil**
5 % Coconut oil
7.25 % Emulsifying wax (E-wax)
* If you wanted to use more butters you can add whichever then make the total equal 10%
** If you wanted to use more oils you can add them and balance to totals with the rice bran and coconut oils so the total oils equal 15%

COOL DOWN PHASE
1 % Peppermint oil (EO?)
0.5 % Preservative (e.g. Liquid Germall Plus)

Emulsified products sound like a lot of work, but they're quite fun and quite easy to make if you have a scale, some oils/butters (by some you really only need 1 to get started), an emulsifier, and a preservative (a real one, not EOs or extracts).

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy

So this is what I came up with since the original sounds like an emulsified product:

WATER PHASE
46.25 % Distilled water*
18 % AVJ (Substituted instead of AVG)
2 % Vegetable glycerine
* I would add 1 teabag each of the black tea, green tea, and camomile tea to the heat and hold process of this phase

OIL PHASE
10 % Macadamia butter*
10 % Rice bran oil**
5 % Coconut oil
7.25 % Emulsifying wax (E-wax)
* If you wanted to use more butters you can add whichever then make the total equal 10%
** If you wanted to use more oils you can add them and balance to totals with the rice bran and coconut oils so the total oils equal 15%

COOL DOWN PHASE
1 % Peppermint oil (EO?)
0.5 % Preservative (e.g. Liquid Germall Plus)

Emulsified products sound like a lot of work, but they're quite fun and quite easy to make if you have a scale, some oils/butters (by some you really only need 1 to get started), an emulsifier, and a preservative (a real one, not EOs or extracts).

:kiss: Thank you!!! I could NEVER have come up with this, and it doesn't look too, too difficult. I've got to figure out where to get E-wax and a preservative.

Many thanks!

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Cannot get back to sleep, so I mixed the remaining amount of Terressentials Left Coast Lemon (I will miss that smell) with 1/2 tsp raw aloe, 1 1/2 oz of water, twenty drops of SAA, and enough Indian Aztec clay to make a thin paste. It is in the fridge for later use. If this works to cleanse and strengthen, I will start mixing my own clay treatments. The only problem I see is having to buy hydrolyzed proteins, ugh...

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I tried to infuse chlorella in some thin emu oil by both bain marie and letting it sit. This is the result 1 month later:
upload_2017-8-9_20-15-9.jpeg

Instead of straining, which would not have worked for this microscopic powder, I use medicine syringes. My children are teens, so they don't use them, and I had some still in their plastic wrappers:
upload_2017-8-9_20-18-23.jpeg

I got 39 mL (2/3 of the 2 oz bottle) and the leftover will be mixed with my oat treatment in the near future:
upload_2017-8-9_20-22-5.jpeg

And labeled:
upload_2017-8-9_20-23-14.jpeg

What do I hope to gain from doing this? No clue, just playing around...