YvetteWithJoy

On break
I made Naptural85's DIY flaxseed gel. (I added a teaspoon of CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil after it cooled.)

The first time I made it, I heated it for too long. It was SUPER thick. I only got around 2 ounces (from 1/4 cup of flaxseeds and 2.5 cups of distilled water). I trialed it on my bangs, and it was GREAT! My hair wash shiny, defined, elongated, and moisturized. It felt really good. I was too heavy handed though, and so my hair "snowed" from the gel.

I made a new batch and heated it for much less time. It yielded a LOT of gel this time: Over 8 ounces. I added a few drops of various oils.

WP_20170817_008 - Copy.jpg

It didn't perform as well as my first batch, but I was able to avoid the "snowing" effect (i.e. gel dust flying off when hair is touched) by not being so heavy handed. This batch did not feel as moisturizing, and it was not as defining and elongating either. Hmm. :scratchchin:

It's super economical (one YouTuber even said it's possible to reuse the seeds if you want!), so I'm going to play around with the recipe a bit. I actually wish I could improve upon the Eco Styler Flaxseed and Black Castor Oil gel. :yep: I found a YouTuber's recipe that looks like a good starting place. I hope to try it one of these days.

Her Flaxseed Gel Recipe
  • 2 Cups of (Filtered) Water
  • 1/3 Cup of Organic Brown Flaxseeds (Whole)
  • 2 Tbsp Cold Pressed Castor Oil
  • 2 Tbsp Jamaican Black Castor Oil ( Or 2 more Tbsp of regular Castor Oil)
  • 2 Tbsp of Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil
  • 1 Tbsp of Vitamin E ( or 5-6 capsules)
  • Mix and there you have it. These ingredients can be adjusted to your liking or you can add additional ingredients according to your hair needs. Enjoy!

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Taking a break from cutting up my aloe leaves. I will never complain about the last bunch I had if I can find that brand again.

Put 9 tbs of marshmallow root in a pint of distilled water over low heat, covered. I will let it simmer a bit, then steep it overnight.

Making chicken bone broth for collagen. That will take until tomorrow night to finish.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Bumping to add to later today.

So in my quest to formulate my own conditioner, I discovered solid conditioner bars. They do not contain water, so they are very concentrated and work well when the hair is already wet (immediatey after shampooing).

I made a Mango Butter & Pumpkin Seed oil solid conditioner. I just need to resize the pictures to attach.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Mango & Pumpkin Solid Conditioner Bar

20180206_155423_crop_449x527.jpg

Ingredients and measurements:

20180206_165407-573x485.jpg
40 grams BTMS 50
40 grams mango butter
15 grams pumpkin seed oil
5 grams DL panthenol
2 grams optiphen (or whatever is your recommended usage based on the preservative you have)
1 gram fragrance (optional...I used Pumpkin Spice)

Directions:
Melt BTMS, butter and oil using double boiler method.

20180206_124203-486x648.jpg

Once every thing is fully melted, remove from water bath and add panthenol. Stir it in well. Add preservative and fragrance, pour in to molds then place in freezer until solid.

20180206_155229-486x648.jpg

Remove from molds and allow bar to set for at least 24 hours before using.

20180206_155454_crop_325x433.jpg
I usually wash my hair in 3 sections. Glide the bar down my strands using a few swipes per section. Allow to sit while I shower. Rinse out excess.

Here are a few sites that I used for reference:

http://www.humblebeeandme.com/vanilla-spice-conditioner-bar/

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/06/conditioners-solid-conditioner-bars.html

*They use way less conditioning agents than my recipe but I used what I felt would work for my hair.

*Solid conditioner bars are supposed to last longer than regular conditioners. I made a 32 ounce container of conditioner just 2 months ago and it's already gone so I'm hoping this solid conditioner will do me right and give me at least 4 months of usage. I've used it once and it looks like it hasnt been touched so I think it will outlast my liquid conditioner.

Alma Petra

Mango & Pumpkin Solid Conditioner Bar

View attachment 423831

Ingredients and measurements:

View attachment 423835
40 grams BTMS 50
40 grams mango butter
15 grams pumpkin seed oil
5 grams DL panthenol
2 grams optiphen (or whatever is your recommended usage based on the preservative you have)
1 gram fragrance (optional...I used Pumpkin Spice)

Directions:
Melt BTMS, butter and oil using double boiler method.

View attachment 423827

Once every thing is fully melted, remove from water bath and add panthenol. Stir it in well. Add preservative and fragrance, pour in to molds then place in freezer until solid.

View attachment 423829

Remove from molds and allow bar to set for at least 24 hours before using.

View attachment 423833
I usually wash my hair in 3 sections. Glide the bar down my strands using a few swipes per section. Allow to sit while I shower. Rinse out excess.

Here are a few sites that I used for reference:

http://www.humblebeeandme.com/vanilla-spice-conditioner-bar/

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/06/conditioners-solid-conditioner-bars.html

*They use way less conditioning agents than my recipe but I used what I felt would work for my hair.

*Solid conditioner bars are supposed to last longer than regular conditioners. I made a 32 ounce container of conditioner just 2 months ago and it's already gone so I'm hoping this solid conditioner will do me right and give me at least 4 months of usage. I've used it once and it looks like it hasnt been touched so I think it will outlast my liquid conditioner.
So yummy :mmmchocolate:

beauti

@beauti Here you go Sis. You can use this as a leave in. Just wet the bar, rub it in your hands and spread the product from your hands to your hair. Use the same technique to use it as a moisturizer. I love multiple use products.

I plan on making one to match the oat milk treatment next.
Just seeing this! Once I wet the bar and use it do i just pop it back in the freezer again to solidify? TIA!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Just seeing this! Once I wet the bar and use it do i just pop it back in the freezer again to solidify? TIA!

@beauti You just want to let it air dry between uses, that way it will last longer...kinda like how you treat a shampoo bar. I dry mine in between uses on a soap drying rack like this:

And the ones I'm not using are stored in a container with no lid to allow air to flow freely.

20180209_182754-648x387.jpg

I've read where most people just leave them in their shower on a shower caddy. So that would probably work too.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:curtain:

I DIY'ed today. I followed a Cherry Lola Caramel Treatment recipe, and I winged making my own leave in spray (inspired by DubaiDee4c and CurlyProverbz).

Note: I forgot to include ACV in the ingredients photo.

IMG_20180327_103221-2304x1728.jpg IMG_20180327_112854-2304x1728.jpg

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
OK, I had product build-up from the Hydra Curlformer Gel. I have tried shampoo with oil rinsing in the past--no go. I have washed my hair with a colloidal oat slurry before, but this build-up was extreme, making my hair feel like plastic. First, I detangle with pumpkin seed oil. I took a gamble and tried straight colloidal oatmeal directly from the packet in my hand, mixed with a little water to make a paste, rubbed my hands together, and applied it to 8 sections on my hair. The slip was amazing! I even got my Tangle Teezer Thick n Curly through it. I let it sit for 20-30 minutes, rinsed, and did a final oil rinse with Bhaasvataa Oil.

My hair and my scalp feel thoroughly cleansed, but not stripped. It dried soft; build-up is gone.

snoop

OK, I had product build-up from the Hydra Curlformer Gel. I have tried shampoo with oil rinsing in the past--no go. I have washed my hair with a colloidal oat slurry before, but this build-up was extreme, making my hair feel like plastic. First, I detangle with pumpkin seed oil. I took a gamble and tried straight colloidal oatmeal directly from the packet in my hand, mixed with a little water to make a paste, rubbed my hands together, and applied it to 8 sections on my hair. The slip was amazing! I even got my Tangle Teezer Thick n Curly through it. I let it sit for 20-30 minutes, rinsed, and did a final oil rinse with Bhaasvataa Oil.

My hair and my scalp feel thoroughly cleansed, but not stripped. It dried soft; build-up is gone.

Is the oatmeal easy to rinse out?

snoop

I miss this DIY thread, so I'm bumping it.

The other day I was making oatmeal and I added to much water, so I skimmed it of the top and set it aside. I guess, something in the back of my head remembered this thread and so I decided to save it for my hair. :look:

Yesterday, I reheated it and strained ot any of the remaining oats. I guess this is the oatmilk that you guys mentioned above? I did an onion rinse first under the stain cap for 20 min, rinsed, then another 10 min under the cap with the oatmilk in my hair. I'm not sure if it was too much heat, but my hair felt stripped.

This would be good if I had build up, but it may have been too much for this particular wash session. I'll definitely keep it in mind as a natural deep cleansing option.

water_n_oil

I do a lot of DIY because of allergies and eczema/dermatitis in my household. You guys are making me want to revisit oat rinses. It always left my hair super soft.

snoop

I followed her steps:

Thanks for linking this video. I think my hair felt rough because it was strengthened by doing this process. My oatmeal water was gelatinous when I took it out of the fridge, and listened loosened up after I put it on the stove. I realize after watching this video that I probably could have diluted it a bit. It was more like flax gel.

water_n_oil

Tried a 22nd Century dupe today. Love to support her when I can but the shipping is killer. Definitely going to tweak the recipe a bit next time. My hair felt more as if I had done a strengthening treatment than a deep conditioning. Still soft after I sealed so it's at least not a setback.