DIYers: Will You Ever Go Back To The Salon?

DIYers: Will You Ever Go Back To The Salon?

• Yes, on a regular basis.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Yes, occasionally to pamper myself.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • No.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • NEVER!!!

Votes: 16 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

darlingdiva

There are a lot of salons in my area, and, to and from the gym, I find myself staring in the windows. Then I begin to think of how long wash day is for me. Then I begin to think of how I can't afford to go to the salon on a regular basis. Then I start to think of how the progress that I'm making is because of me (via all of you ladies! Thank you!:yep:)

I must also admit that I feel empowered by taking care of my own hair. I know what it likes & dislikes, as well as what it needs. I just like being the boss of my own hair. Sometimes, I think back to when I was going to the salon, and I realize that I let them get away with a lot.

1. I never knew what products they were putting in my hair--All I know is that one of the stylists who did my hair used to put grease w/ petrolatum in it after she washed my hair; I knew it had petrolatum in it b/c my mother used to buy the exact same grease from her & I remember that ingredient.

2. I just told them what style I wanted & that was it--I had no concern about what steps they were taking to achieve that style (rough combing and brushing, high heat, excessive trims, etc.)

3. If I decided to go to another stylist, I just found a new place & told the stylist what style I wanted--there was no consultation. I didn't speak w/ the stylist about my hair goals & expectations (I didn't have any), and I didn't have the stylist assess my hair to see what products and techniques would work best for my hair.

Nowadays, there is no way that I could stand for that, especially #3. One of the main reasons wash day takes so long for me is that I'm gentle w/ my hair--and considerate of its needs. If I were to go to a stylist, I'd first have to observe him or her w/ another client; a one-on-one interview alone wouldn't do. I'd have to see how the stylist handles the client's hair: is a wide-tooth or fine-tooth comb used? Is the hair being combed from roots to ends? Does the stylist listen to and implement the client's requests? I.e., Will the client have to say "no trim" once or five times? Will the stylist listen or trim/cut anyway?

DIYers, what are your thoughts on this? Will you ever go back to the salon?

***To all salon-goers and stylists: this thread is not meant to bash stylists or salons; I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
If I find one that knows how to properly take care of African textured hair, I'm there:yep: Taking care of my hair is starting to become a chore for me, I still enjoy it, but it's exhausting sometimes.

baddison

natural for good
I do believe that I will treat myself every once in a while to some "professional" service, but that so-called professional better heed my every command regarding how I like my hair to be handled!! :whip:

isabella09

I plan on remaining a DIYer and only go to the salon once every 6 months to a year for a trim; once I find a good stylist that I can trust to follow instructions.

Britt

Yes, I go for touch ups and trims and an occassional blowout.

For the most part, I like to do my hair myself. I like to condition it and make sure my hair is fully saturated and I comb through my hair w/ the conditioner in it to make sure it's evenly distributed... I don't get all that good stuff at the salon :lol:. But I like an occassional blow out, or if I just don't feel like doing my hair, the salon is there. However, the one I go to, I go to a particular person and bring my own products.

Dee Raven

I put no, but that's just to say that I will never be a regular salon patron ever again. It's so funny because I'm extremely tender headed, and everytime I would go, I would literally hate the stlist and question what they are doing. Now that I've joined this forum and have really started to experiment and get to know my hair better, it really angers me that these people who are supposedly trained in hair care are so completely ignorant to what that means. But at some point once I get to a length that I want to maintain, I would like to go get my hair cut at a salon that specializes in hair cutting. And of course ocasionally I wouldn't mind going to a natural hair salon for cornrows, and some intricate designs that I can't do on my own.

discodumpling

Never. I braid, straighten, roller set, trim, deep treat & pamper my hair myself. The only thing i can't do is flat twist...& that's only because i haven't taken the time or effort to learn.

doll-baby

I can definitely say no for regular services such as relaxers or trims I will not go to a salon for that. But I would go to get my hair styled for my wedding day, for the sake of saving myself time and having a professional looking updo.

ajoyfuljoy

just for special occasions. I have a stylist that I trust and she likes the fact that I am DIY and even gives me tips of stuff that i can do at home (she is my friend).

lilsparkle825

maybe, now that i know how to ask for EXACTLY what i want and i am not afraid to stop them from doing what they think i need. once i hit BSL i am thinking about getting a professional blowout every few months.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
I let my stylist whom i love dearly do my relaxer and trims. She has beautiful hair and she loves healthy hair so she's the best to me. I gave her the name of this site once and i think she may have checked it out.

prospurr4

No...Never.:nono: In fact, I checked both of those boxes. :grin:

I'm a total DIYer, who really enjoys caring for my hair. The longer it gets, the more excited I am about maintaining what I've worked so hard to gain.

I'd much rather spend my money and hours-of-waiting-at-the-salon time on other things.

msa

Yup, I will. There are lots of style that I can't do and have no intention of learning. So for things like rollersets, braid styles, and things like that I'll go to a salon once I find a good one. But for daily upkeep I'll continue to take care of that myself.

naturalmanenyc

Absolutely. Sometimes I just do not feel like doing my own hair or I don't have the time.

Today I had my hair washed, rollerset & flat ironed in the comfort of my own home. Erica, the stylist that did my Rejuvenol BKT a few months ago, is off for a few days and offered to do my hair at my house instead of the Manhattan salon.

I have it up in pin curls right now since I'm doing laundry, cleaning, packing & cooking (will be away all week for work).

The best part is it was only $20!!!! I gave her $30 though.

http://www.iamericamakeup.com/

Lady Esquire

At one point, my mindset was to care for it on my own, nurse it to health, and find a stylist later down the road, in case I wanted to pamper myself.

With this past year, dealing with pp shedding, thinning, and breakage, I now fully appreciate that it takes a sec to damage the hair and months/years to repair/regrow it. For now, my answer is no.

However, I know that there are some talented stylists out there.

Jewell

I voted no. I'm thinking and have said "never," but may just go in for braid styles since I can't do that on my own hair. As for the other things like touch-ups, coloring, trims...I'm a total DIYer. I can do many styles as well, and don't need a stylist but may visit just for special occasions. I have major worries about people touching my hair and sacrificing the length and health I've worked for many years to maintain and regain.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Err Umm...... Right Now I am Too Traumatized to Even begin to think "Salon":nono:

Even though I have like Zero (0) Skills, my Hair is Thriving and Looks/Feels More Healthier than it has in years.:spinning:

Mind you, my styling skills leave alot to be desired, but I am willing to look a Hotmess for now until I can learn how to do it totally myself.

And this is coming from someone who has never touched their own hair.:look:

I was a weekly Salon-go'er. I had a Standing Thursday Weekly Appointment for over 25 Years.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Went today and took my own set of combs, amla oil and gave specific instructions on how to comb/detangle the little hair I got on my head. The stylist didn't trip...she smiled and said I see already I'm gonna like you...

glamchick84

for right now i voted no, because i don't trust anyone plus they love to cut. but i will love to go for routine touchups and mini trims one day.

darlingdiva

Yup, I will. There are lots of style that I can't do and have no intention of learning. So for things like rollersets, braid styles, and things like that I'll go to a salon once I find a good one. But for daily upkeep I'll continue to take care of that myself.

This is my issue too. I am so style-challenged; it's not even funny.

back2relaxed

I don't do chemicals myself...so I go for my relaxer every 2-3 mos, and sometimes, I will also visit for a special occasion. I try to go at least every 4-6 wks for a professional look, but its so easy to cancel the appt once I book it, b/c I can just do it at home! I was a every 2 wks standing appt customer before, and I can sometimes go 2 mos w/o seeing the inside of a salon now...I can't believe it! But you guys are right, its kinda fun to look at your hair and know its because of you that its growing. I have been blessed to have great stylists who are not scissor happy and who definitely promote healthy hair practices, so that's what keeps me coming back!

foxee

I voted NEVER, but that could change. I'm still traumatized from a bad relaxer job back in 1994. I've been to a few "professionals" since then and unfortunately they care more about cute styles than the overall health of their client's hair.

So never for now, but who knows what the future may hold.

brucebettye

I think I will never go back to a salon. With lhcf, youtube, blogs, and many other things on the web I can do anything if I put my mind to it. Also when I get tired of doing my hair I find a new style on the internet and try it. Also my hair is growing nicely and I do not want a stylist to set me back.

GoldenBreeze

Um, I never say never so I chose "no", but I haven't been to a salon in about 30 years. I guess I'm moving closer to never each year.