DIYers: Will You Ever Go Back To The Salon?

DIYers: Will You Ever Go Back To The Salon?

• Yes, on a regular basis.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Yes, occasionally to pamper myself.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • No.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • NEVER!!!

Votes: 16 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CleverGypsy

I'm going with never on this one. I've never been a salon regular because my hair has always been natural and the few haircuts I got early on were disasterous. I haven't been to a salon in 10 years. I used to go for trims but got tired of waiting around, and the pressure to use heat/ flat irons. Every stylist wants to blow-out/ flat-iron my curls! I've taught myself so much by not going to a salon and I continue to learn everyday.

Kellum

It is highly unlikely.

I go to Supercuts for trims... Yep. I trust White people to do that....

Its funny you said that. I go to a white salon for my trims. There's two white ladies there that I trust and always trim what I ask and no more. Other than that I do everything else myself.

deltagyrl

On the fence. I would like to get a trim once or twice a year but I haven't found a black stylist who'll listen. :nono:. I'm thinking about going to the yt folx for that.

I really like doing my own hair, at my own pace on my own time.

darlingdiva

Thanks for all the responses, everyone!!!

I voted no. I didn't vote "NEVER!" because, in the back of my mind, I keep thinking about what if I want a flat-ironing job better than the one that I can give myself. On the other hand, I think about how much a good press would cost. I saw a youtube video where a woman had gotten a nice press at a salon in Brooklyn & I believe she said that she paid $135-$140. I used to get good presses for $30-$35.

In the end, though, I probably will never go back to the salon on a regular basis. I have all my products at home & I think I'm doing a good job of taking care of my hair. I've also been stalking the flat-iron threads, so I have every confidence that I'll be a good flat-ironer eventually.

skegeesmb

I might go to a Dominican Salon, but that'll probably be on my birthday. The last time I went to the hairdresser my hair started falling out. So I'm a bit traumatized to say the least.

MizzCoco

I actually love doing my own hair. It never feels like a chore to me, plus NO stylist will care for my hair the way I do. I will allow one to trim me once I reach my goal, but best believe she will be watched very closely!

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
There's this Dominican salon in the DC/MA/VA area that I was highly impressed with that I'd go back to were I there again. But not on a regular basis, for special occasions and whatnot.

Otherwise, nope! I did my first relaxer recently and I'm not turning back now. Unfortunately, I'll never go back to a black beauty salon unless it's clearly "enlightened" about hair.

Fedoralova

Nope Nope Nope!! I dont trust them and refuse to pay for a service I can provide for myself. Cant do it.

LiberianGirl

I found a salon that specializes in straightening natural hair. I think I will give it a try if I decide to wear my hair straight for awhile. I've also been thinking a lot about color and I definitely need professional help for that. I still believe there are good stylists out there but not that many who are invested into long term health of their client's hair, which is the most important thing to me.

BostonMaria

I'm going to the salon in a week or two, but just to get a Dominican blowout. So that'll be my 2nd visit this year and that's it. I think I went twice last year as well. My hair is doing so well without a stylist, plus I love doing my own hair so its really fruitless.

Aggie

Once in a while for a professional trim and/or a special treat to myself to a stylist that I trust with my hair, one who understands my hair goals and respect my wishes for my hair.

hillytmj

Its funny you said that. I go to a white salon for my trims. There's two white ladies there that I trust and always trim what I ask and no more. Other than that I do everything else myself.

Me too! One of my best friends is white and she gives me the best trims. She has had WL curly hair before so she understands the frustration of a stylist turning a trim into a BC!

fitnessmommy

Hmph! Only for trims and only from my white hair stylist because she is anti-scissor happy. Last time I went to the "shop" to get my hair trimmed I walked out with a blunt cut and 4 inches lopped off! I asked for 1/2" trim... I'm still ticked about that salon visit... it was a few months prior to my wedding. So much for the long pretty hair that I wanted for my pictures....

redecouvert

I was going to check never but never say never so it is a big NO
I'd rather buy products than go to the salon where they might mess up my hair
plus salons in my area only do relaxed hair and weaves

tocktick

I was never really in the salon prior to LHCF but I did have all kinds of people's hands (bootleg stylists) in my hair doing too-tight braid, hot-combing with on bone-dry hair with no protectant and overprocessing my hair to death. Going natural was a way to escape all of that madness. I thought I'd never do braids again but I eventually decided to try it again.

Now the only outside help I have with my hair is a lady who comes to my home to install my individual braids (using fake hair). I trust her to do my braids because she doesn't braid too tight. When I've used other people, my hair has suffered for it. My hair is getting too long to use braiding hair, so I'm not sure if I will still be using her after.

longhairlover

I would love to go back to getting wash and sets from the dominicans, but I wouldn't let anyone in nj touch my hair! when I first moved out here a few years ago I went to a local salon and the technique and price the woman was trying to charge me was ridiculous.
but when I was in nyc there are just sooooo many good wash and set spots and even when my hair was longer I would only pay under $20. My mom is the only person I trust to trim my ends so I don't have to pay for that cost or relaxers.

it's nice to have someone else do your hair sometimes especially the simple things like wash and sets.

Spongie Bloom

Erm I love cornrows so when my twa grows out I would love to get that hairstyle done but my self done cornrows are not good enough to be unleashed to the world LOL but they are great for braid outs! I dont know though I'll cross the bridge...

BlackMasterPiece

I have a spectacular high end salon I've been going to for years they're black owned, professional, clean, organized, serve tea, order your lunch for you and know their stuff up down and sideways I really have no complaints.

If I was seniorita moneybags I'd go to them every week:lol: but they're a very high end black salon.

Long thick natural hair is expensive to get done and I know my hair better then anyone else could. I really don't need a stylist for anything but a trim.....I handle all the rest:yep: I like my money in my pockets ;)

Here's the routine. I go to the salon once every 1-2 years, the lady compliments me on the thickness of my hair and the length, they wash my hair telling me about how they can't wait till their natural hair gets as long and thick as mines is, they trim, we chat and I leave lol....thats the routine.

I went to go treat me and my mom for new years I went for a trim and they were doing a rod set in my moms hair I was watching intently because all I need is to see a style done once for me to know how to do it, and the stylist smiled and was like "So I guess now you know how to do a rod set in her hair and you wont be back for a while huh?" I was like who me?? I'm just watching:rolleyes: lmfao....... that was last december. I been doing my moms hair in comb coils and fly rod sets ever since:giggle: and she's gained at least 3 inches in length:cool: she's spoiled :grin:

I really think thats something black women need to end, RELYING on a stylist, going to a stylist should be an optional treat not a necessity. Wht if money's running a little low for a while? What if the stylist relocates? You gotta become the expert on your own hair for it to thrive.

Last edited:

InNeedofHairapy

If I could find one that had stylists who knew how to CARE for, STYLE, and CUT natural/curly hair, I could see myself going once in awhile. I think it's just ri-damn-diculous that hair dressers go to school for all those credit hours and are either not being taught or do not care to learn about how to care for all hair types..not just straight.

McQuay30

I am going back to the Salon and will be using DE Relaxer, I have been a DIYer for a while now and last night was the final straw. I was relaxing my hair with SE Olive Oil, when out of the BLUE a small clump of relaxer landed in my eye, my eye have been irriated and clouded since this incident and I am so scared of the damage that it may have cause of have caused because of this incident, "I chick have got to see". I will leave applying relaxer to the professionals. If the salon relax it bone straight than so be it, I have learned through the ladies on this site that your hair can still grow and retain length with a bone straight texture. For example Sylver2, if I remember correctly is relaxed bone straight and I think Machermiour is also.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I am going back to the Salon and will be using DE Relaxer, I have been a DIYer for a while now and last night was the final straw. I was relaxing my hair with SE Olive Oil, when out of the BLUE a small clump of relaxer landed in my eye, my eye have been irriated and clouded since this incident and I am so scared of the damage that it may have cause of have caused because of this incident, "I chick have got to see". I will leave applying relaxer to the professionals. If the salon relax it bone straight than so be it, I have learned through the ladies on this site that your hair can still grow and retain length with a bone straight texture. For example Sylver2, if I remember correctly is relaxed bone straight and I think Machermiour is also.

WOW!:perplexed I Hope Your Eye Feels Better Soon.:nono:

lucea

I have a spectacular high end salon I've been going to for years they're black owned, professional, clean, organized, serve tea, order your lunch for you and know their stuff up down and sideways I really have no complaints.

If I was seniorita moneybags I'd go to them every week:lol: but they're a very high end black salon.

Long thick natural hair is expensive to get done and I know my hair better then anyone else could. I really don't need a stylist for anything but a trim.....I handle all the rest:yep: I like my money in my pockets ;)

Here's the routine. I go to the salon once every 1-2 years, the lady compliments me on the thickness of my hair and the length, they wash my hair telling me about how they can't wait till their natural hair gets as long and thick as mines is, they trim, we chat and I leave lol....thats the routine.

I went to go treat me and my mom for new years I went for a trim and they were doing a rod set in my moms hair I was watching intently because all I need is to see a style done once for me to know how to do it, and the stylist smiled and was like "So I guess now you know how to do a rod set in her hair and you wont be back for a while huh?" I was like who me?? I'm just watching:rolleyes: lmfao....... that was last december. I been doing my moms hair in comb coils and fly rod sets ever since:giggle: and she's gained at least 3 inches in length:cool: she's spoiled :grin:

I really think thats something black women need to end, RELYING on a stylist, going to a stylist should be an optional treat not a necessity. Wht if money's running a little low for a while? What if the stylist relocates? You gotta become the expert on your own hair for it to thrive.

What salon is this? TIA!

I haven't been to a salon in about 3 months - the longest ever in my life. I am looking for someone to straighten every now and again, though.

lux10023

i myself have never been a major salon person--my mom from the age of 5 had me goin to a salon--not becuz she couldnt do my hair but becuz thats my mom--she is the type to get her hair done every week--lol--but the salon are my aunts salon--i have two aunts in ny that own salons--anyhoo-we always pay to get our hair done my mom would not have it any other way-anyhoo--it feels good to do my hair myself--the only thing is its that thick4a/b hair--no joke--but ive gotten so much better at dealin with my hair that my aunt was like whoa--beautiful hair--prior to lhcf i did any and everything to my hair becuz it would grow back--but after i did a relxer and perm color in 07---ish hit the fan and my hair came right out in the shampoo bowl--lol--lesson learned--my hair has grown back but i do go to the salon every now and then just to get that service feeling--and to get a trim---

GreenD

I voted no, because I feel as though I know my hair better than anyone else, and I refuse to pay someone to screw up my hair. Especially after my investments of time, money and energy to get it to where it is, there's NO WAY I'm chancing it.

I didn't vote never, because a roller wrap from the Dominicans or Ethiopian's is about all I'd get done at a salon, if I wanted to treat/pamper myself.