Do braids make your hair grow faster?

Mercie

I've seen a lot of people at my school with hair that is a lot longer after they take down braids.

I used to braid my hair a lot but, I was doing it back to back.
(My hair was so short that it was embarrasing to wear it out)

I'm thinking about getting braids. Just to see if it'll me the boost to get me to NL-SL. :lick:

I'm due for a relaxer in the next couple of weeks. (I'm 6 months post)
Is there anything special I need to do a week or two before the relaxer?

Or should I just get braids, and wear that for 1 - 2 months and when I take them down.. I would THEN get the relaxer?

phynestone

I don't think braids make your hair grow faster. Hair will grow regardless. They can help you retain length if you are moisturizing and keeping your hair conditioned.

Before I would put braids (now weaves) in my hair, I DC'd my hair very well.

beans4reezy

Braids are a great way to retain length because the hair is protected and you aren't manipulating it.

I would say, if you are already 6 months post...go ahead and braid your hair up for a while. You will be very pleasantly suprised once you take down your braids and relax. IF you choose to braid though, make sure you give your hair a protien tx, followed by a moisture DC to keep your hair strong while your hair is in braids.

Last edited:

finickyone

I agree that braids will definitely help to retain length. I keep my 8 yr old daughter in box braids or twists & the low manipulation has done wonders for her hair. The braid styles with the box braids & twists still allow me to do different styles. I love how when I take her braids or twists down, her hair is so moisturized. Its important that you still wash, condition & moisturize your hair while wearing braids. If you do, you will reap the benefits!

winnettag

It just seems like it because your hair is hidden for so long. It's also a great protective style to help retain length.
I have my hair in braids right now and plan to keep them in for a while so I can see some substantial growth by the time they come out.

I wash with a diluted shampoo once a week to once every two weeks and spritz them every day. I still tie a scarf around them at night too. I also just discovered I can condition them with a diluted conditioner, so I'll be trying that this time around.

Good luck to you! Just don't get them too small or tight!

www.growafrohairlong.com has great tips!

Mercie

I would like to get braids, since I like the versatility you can do with the styles better.
However, in the past I've had too many experiences with braids falling out with my hair inside them. Maybe if I get them very big they won't fall out.

I was thinking out getting cornrows this time.

ToyToy

I agree with what others have already said - they help you retain length (if done properly and if you don't pull them too tight when you're doing pony tails, etc.).

beans4reezy

However, in the past I've had too many experiences with braids falling out with my hair inside them. Maybe if I get them very big they won't fall out.

Don't get them too small or they tend to fall out with your hair!! Also, be careful about applying too much product to the root of the braid (I would actually advise against any product at the roon unless you are rebraiding often). Build up tends to form at the root and this contributes to your hair coming out with the braid as well.:perplexed

Mercie

I probably won't be rebraiding often since, I would have to keep on having extra money to go to the salon.

Thanks for that tip.

I just remembered that I have lots of dead ends.. split ends.
Should I still get braids and then a relaxer afterwards or will that just make the split ends even worse?

OR should I just get a relaxer soon (how long do you have to wait after a relaxer to get braids) trim the hair.. and wait to get braids?

keriplz

I'm also curious about braids too, because it seems like it would help me retain length. I am transitioning, so would braids be a good idea to keep my hands off my hair for a while? And how long would I be able to keep my braids in?

I am a braid-newbie, so I kinda have a lot of questions. My friend says she does her own braids and twists and would be willing to do mine. Is this a good idea? :perplexed

isabella09

:yep: I agree with the other posts that braids are a fantastic way to retain length (for me it’s also imperative to; moisturize, seal, steam DC and use protein treatments whilst in braids to ensure my hair is in the best condition possible). I found the C&G method to be very helpful whilst in braids, here is the link; http://www.growafrohairlong.com/index.html

Last edited:

tocktick

It doesn't make your hair grow from the scalp faster. Your hair will still grow the same amount of inches per month in whatever style it is in, provided you haven't made any major changes to your lifestyle (i.e - new supplements, better diet etc).

Braids are good for helping some people retain length better than if they were to just leave their hair out and style it daily. I use braids as my main protective style for that very reason.

ToyToy

I probably won't be rebraiding often since, I would have to keep on having extra money to go to the salon.

Thanks for that tip.

I just remembered that I have lots of dead ends.. split ends.

Should I still get braids and then a relaxer afterwards or will that just make the split ends even worse?

OR should I just get a relaxer soon (how long do you have to wait after a relaxer to get braids) trim the hair.. and wait to get braids?

I would cut off the split ends (if you can). The braids won't make them worse if you braid past your hair, but I think it would be good to get rid of them before you braid.

As someone else already said, I wouldn't relax if you're thinking of getting braids, because the hair would be too smooth to grab.

joib

It doesn't make your hair grow from the scalp faster. Your hair will still grow the same amount of inches per month in whatever style it is in, provided you haven't made any major changes to your lifestyle (i.e - new supplements, better diet etc).

Braids are good for helping some people retain length better than if they were to just leave their hair out and style it daily. I use braids as my main protective style for that very reason.

I have to agree. Braids are an excellent way to retain length and keep your hands out of your hair. As long as you moisturize, seal, and DC your hair should be fine. I like to cowash every 10 days on braids.

Mercie

I would cut off the split ends (if you can). The braids won't make them worse if you braid past your hair, but I think it would be good to get rid of them before you braid.

As someone else already said, I wouldn't relax if you're thinking of getting braids, because the hair would be too smooth to grab.
Thank you guys for all the advice.

the person that does my trims said that I should trim the hair when I get it relaxed because, I would be able to get a better cut since the new growth would be straightened out. .. Or should I sill just go ahead and get a trim without a relaxer

locabouthair

My hair got to it's longest length with braids. I went from EL to SL. I could never grow my hair before that. But I agree with everyone else they help you retain what you grow, they dont cause the hair to come out your scalp faster. Make sure you use a braid spray or a moisturizer to keep your hair moist. That definitely helps.

And NEVER relax your hair right after you take your braids. Wait at least a week.

coconow2007

so far braids seems to help me retain my length - I would say try not doing a relaxer while in braids - just my thoughts

mswoman

:yep: I agree with the other posts that braids are a fantastic way to retain length (for me it’s also imperative to; moisturize, seal, steam DC and use protein treatments whilst in braids to ensure my hair is in the best condition possible). I found the C&G method to be very helpful whilst in braids, here is the link; http://www.growafrohairlong.com/index.html

This is a grea technique, it helped me grow my hair out a couple of years ago too!