Do people really believe that pyshics are demonic?

landakaye

Do people really believe that psychics are demonic?

I am having a hard time coming to grips with this. I'm not talking about people who make money off it by doing those 1800 numbers or write books and tell you that they can talk to dead people. I am speaking of the ones who truly help people out of kindness like helping police solve murders or things like that. This just started to bother me for some reason.:confused:

Last edited:

Honeyhips

Lovely
I think it has to do with what source are they receiving their information from. I'm not sure how it works (how they get those visions and if/why they are demonic) when they are solving crimes. I've been meaing to ask my Pastors about that.

pebbles

Re: Do people really believe that psychics are demonic?

landakaye said:
Do people really believe that psychics are demonic?
I am having a hard time coming to grips with this. I'm not talking about people who make money off it by doing those 1800 numbers or write books and tell you that they can talk to dead people. I am speaking of the ones who truly help people out of kindness like helping police solve murders or things like that. This just started to bother me for some reason.:confused:

I struggled with this myself many years back because I was really into my horoscope, and all of that. But when I got saved, I came face to face with the word of God that speaks against it, over and over again. There is so much scripture that teaches against psychics, divination, etc, that it was impossible for me to go on and pretend I didn't see it. :)

Cowgirl

As Pebbles said, I too have struggled with an explanation for this. Mainly because of some of the popular shows like Charmed & the Harry Potter books etc.. Which I'm not going to lie, I still do watch on occasion, so I guess that's something I need to reevaluate. :confused:

However, the scripture says (This is from the NASB version): Deuteronomy 18:9-14

"When you enter the land which the LORD your God gives you, you shall not learn to imitate the detestable things of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.
"For whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD; and because of these detestable things the LORD your God will drive them out before you.

***So to answer your question, yes it is demonic, because the Bible also says: the dead cannot communicate with the living as there is a great chasm separating the dead from the living (Luke 16:26).

Therefore, when psychics think they are communicating with the dead, they are actually communicating with demonic spirits impersonating the dead.

Last edited:

pebbles

Cowgirl said:
As Pebbles said, I too have struggled with an explanation for this. Mainly because of some of the popular shows like Charmed & the Harry Potter books etc.. Which I'm not going to lie, I still do watch on occasion, so I guess that's something I need to reevaluate. :confused:

However, the scripture says (This is from the NASB version): Deuteronomy 18:9-14

"When you enter the land which the LORD your God gives you, you shall not learn to imitate the detestable things of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.
"For whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD; and because of these detestable things the LORD your God will drive them out before you.

:up:

Most people know that I have a love for the story of Harry Potter. I think that reading the books from an adult perspective, I was more caught up in Harry's struggle to survive than the actual magic that would capture young children in the book. Then the budding romance between Ron and Hermione kept me reading because I wanted to know who she would grow up to marry. :p

Years ago, when I read the story to my boys I told them that, as much as I enjoyed the stories, if Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore and the rest were real, they would all be on a fast train to hell because witchcraft is forbidden by God. Now that Harry Potter has come under such scrutiny, I'm thankful that my boys were never fascinated by the story, because I would hate to know that I gave them a desire to indulge in witchcraft because of something I read to them. :look:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

I see it this way... what those psychics do are not of God... they are doing the work of the devil... that's what demonic spirits do: the work of the devil.

DelightfulFlame

It depends on what we're talking about under the psychic umbrella. There are some people who actually get visions...and I don't think that's devilish. It's a gift from God. Daniel interpreted dreams, and prophets often warned people.

Now, if you are sitting around collecting cash from anyone who'll pay ya...or claiming to hear from dead people...I'm leary of those type of folks.

pebbles

Hmm. According to the bible, anything that is "psychic" is forbidden. Daniel was given dreams and prophetic visions through praying and a clear connection to the Father, but psychics operate differently. Tarrot card reading, palm reading, tea leaves, astrology, etc., is not of God. These people are operating with "familiar spirits" and that's strictly forbidden. :)

pebbles

I don't know if people have an understanding of familiar spirits, but here's a brief definition and a link. :)

Familiar spirits: Sorcerers or necromancers, who professed to call up the dead to answer questions, were said to have a "familiar spirit" (Deut. 18:11; 2 Kings 21:6; 2 Chr. 33:6; Lev. 19:31; 20:6; Isa. 8:19; 29:4). Such a person was called by the Hebrews an 'ob, which properly means a leather bottle; for sorcerers were regarded as vessels containing the inspiring demon. This Hebrew word was equivalent to the pytho of the Greeks, and was used to denote both the person and the spirit which possessed him (Lev. 20:27; 1 Sam. 28:8; compare Acts 16:16).

The word "familiar" is from the Latin familiaris, meaning a "household servant," and was intended to express the idea that sorcerers had spirits as their servants ready to obey their commands.

Here's a link on psychic power: http://www.teachingpages.co.uk/minilesson/psychics.html

Last edited:

DelightfulFlame

Hmm. According to the bible, anything that is "psychic" is forbidden.

To me a psychic is anyone that foretells the future, that's why I wanted to clarify b/c prophets and people of God can fall under that definition.

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)

pebbles said:
The word of God that speaks against it, over and over again. There is so much scripture that teaches against psychics, divination, etc, that it was impossible for me to go on and pretend I didn't see it. :)
DITTO!!! ITA!!

AnnDriena_

God topic

*Shouts at the top of lungs*You are ALL evil. Evil I tell ya'. EVVIIILLL!!!:lachen: :lachen: (okay so I have nothing better to do right now, shoot me)

But seriously as I understand it there is a difference between prophets and psychics. Prophets get a word from God. Psychics get a word from the dead. And since the dead can't communicate with us their words can only be from demons.

But do I believe the psychics ARE demons? No.

As for helping people that is very kind but remember the devil can appear as an angel of light and I think an important thing to remember and someone please help me if I'm not phrasing it right:

Not everything nice is of God.
And not everything of God is nice. (right,yes, nice, no)

Swarm of locust. Not nice but from God.
Helping people to reach the dead for their own peace of mind. Nice but not from God.

Cowgirl

DelightfulFlame said:
To me a psychic is anyone that foretells the future, that's why I wanted to clarify b/c prophets and people of God can fall under that definition.

This is where the confusion begins and why this whole topic can be hard to understand. These two words (psychic & prophet) should not be interchangable. A psychic can not foretell the future but receives messages from demonic spirits who have knowledge regarding the activities of humans and have a limited ability to foretell the future. In otherword "a false prophet". A true prophet is one who speaks a divine or sacred message that comes from the Holy Spirit. The message should be for the purpose of exhortation, comfort, and edification of the body of Christ. (I'm paraphrasing: 1 Corinthians 14:3)

That's my understanding. But I'm just human and still learning, so I'm open for other explanations from someone who has more knowledge.

Edited to add: AnnDriene, I agree with you. I did not mean to repeat some of what you said. But by the time I got off the phone & finished my post, you had already answered. :D

Last edited:

pebbles

DelightfulFlame said:

There is a difference, though. The prophets of GOD hear or receive a word directly from GOD through constant communion and prayer with HIM.

Psychics deal with spirits, which they contact in different ways. Let me list a few ways here. Please, forgive the length of the post!

Fortune Telling
Fortune telling is the art forecasting the future supposedly by supernatural means, is an ancient practice which is still popular today. Fortune telling is also known as divination. The one who practices this activity is known as a diviner. Fortune tellers include all those who claim to predict your future or advise your life through such means as ouija boards, mirror mantic such as crystal balls, mirrors, rock crystals, extra sensory perception (ESP), horoscopes, astrology or biorhythm, telepathy, palm-reading, clairvoyancy, kabala (Jewish mysticism), pendulums, tarot and other card readings, coffee grounds, tea leaves, beans, candles, and use of certain devices such as throwing special sticks or dice, etc.

Interpreters
Interpreters practice looking into crystal balls, throwing cane, dice, using Ouija board, practicing palmistry, interpreting patterns of birds flying, or interpreting dreams, automatic writing and handwriting analysis.

Spiritism
Spiritism also called Necromancy involves the magic of calling spirits (seances), in which spiritist try to communicate with the dead. Spiritism sometimes called spiritualism is the oldest form of religious counterfeit known to man. The Bible speaks of spiritistic practices going back as far as ancient Egypt. The book of Exodus records to the Egyptians' many occultic activities, including magic, sorcery and speaking to the dead (Exodus 7 and 8).

Seances
(a meeting at which mediums try to communicate with the dead) During Seances people who seek to communicate with loved ones are often startled to hear familiar voices supplying details about one's life which no one else present could know. In addition to impersonating the voice of the dead these may well be the voices of the unclean spirits who actually lived within the person during their lifetime.

Mediums or sorcerers absolutely have no access to call the spirits of dead people, any manifestation belongs to evil spirits and their job is deceiving the people and bringing them under the curse of God to get control over them and their offspring. This wrong doing was the reason God turned His face from Saul, took away his kingship and gave it to David. Saul died in his sin.

Palmistry
Palmistry or Chiromancy, is the art of divination from the shape and markings of the hands and fingers. A proper interpretation of these signs supposedly can be used to forecast the future. It is not to be confused with chirology, which is scientific study of the development of the shape and lines of the hands, or with graphology, which is handwriting analysis.

Cartomancy
Cartomancy (Tarot Cards) forecasts the future by means of using cards. The elaborately illustrated cards used in this technique are called Tarot Cards. Supposedly these cards hold the secrets to the future. Those who turn to Tarot reading are often insecure about the future.

Psychics claim to speak for God but are actually frauds. (Ezekiel 13:6-9) Their visions are false and their divinations a lie. They say, "The LORD declares", when the LORD has not sent them, yet they expect their words to be fulfilled. Have you not seen false visions and uttered lying divination's when you say, "The LORD declares", though I have not spoken? "`Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: Because of your false words and lying visions, I am against you, declares the Sovereign LORD. My hand will be against the prophets who see false visions and utter lying divinations. They will not belong to the council of my people or be listed in the records of the house of Israel, nor will they enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Sovereign LORD.'"

Psychometry
Psychometry can also be classed in the area of fortune telling. Psycometry has no place in a Christian's life. Psycometry consists of a person holding some material object of another in his hands and having the ability to make statements and identify characteristics of the owner of the article. He may foretell part of the future of the owner.

Tea cup reading
Tea cup reading - This form of divination interprets the shapes and relative positions left by tea leaves at the bottom of a cup. Fortunes are told using the same principles as are found in the oriental 1 Ching readings.

Geomancy
Geomancy - This system of divination employs a map with 12 divisions in which the symbols of geomancy are placed in conjunction with the planets.

Arithmancy
Arithmancy - Divination by numbers, especially by attaching mystical significance to the numbers associated with a person, especially those numbers associated with the letters of the person's name.

Aeromancy
Aeromancy - This form of divination observes atmospheric conditions or ripples on the surface of an open body of water.

Capnomancy
Capnomancy - This form of divination uses the smoke of an altar or sacrificial incense as a means of foretelling the future.

Rhapsodmancy
Rhapsodmancy - this form of divination is based upon the line in a sacred book that strikes the eye when the book is opened after the diviner prays, meditates or invokes the help of spirits.

Augury
Augury - Divination by the flight of birds. The word is used for all kind of divination, also for any omen or sign on which divination is or can be based.

Ouija Board
Ouija Board is an instrument for communication with the spirits of the dead. Made in various shapes and designs, some of them used in the sixth century before Christ. The common feature of all its varieties is that an object moves under the hand of the medium, to different corners, or through the pointer attached to it, spells out messages by successively pointing to letters of the alphabet, numbers, "yes" or "no" marked on a board which is a part of the instrument.

Whew!!! :lol:

landakaye

Thanks for the responses, ladies. My main thing was about people who think they are getting visions from the Lord or that he is telling them to act on things. I was confused about it all.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
AnnDriena_ said:
God topic

*Shouts at the top of lungs*You are ALL evil. Evil I tell ya'. EVVIIILLL!!!:lachen: :lachen: (okay so I have nothing better to do right now, shoot me)

But seriously as I understand it there is a difference between prophets and psychics. Prophets get a word from God. Psychics get a word from the dead. And since the dead can't communicate with us their words can only be from demons.

As for helping people that is very kind but remember the devil can appear as an angel of light and I think an important thing to remember and someone please help me if I'm not phrasing it right:

Helping people to reach the dead for their own peace of mind. Nice but not from God.

pahahahah! :lachen:

ShortyDooWhop

pebbles said:
I don't know if people have an understanding of familiar spirits, but here's a brief definition and a link. :)

Familiar spirits: Sorcerers or necormancers, who professed to call up the dead to answer questions, were said to have a "familiar spirit" (Deut. 18:11; 2 Kings 21:6; 2 Chr. 33:6; Lev. 19:31; 20:6; Isa. 8:19; 29:4). Such a person was called by the Hebrews an 'ob, which properly means a leather bottle; for sorcerers were regarded as vessels containing the inspiring demon. This Hebrew word was equivalent to the pytho of the Greeks, and was used to denote both the person and the spirit which possessed him (Lev. 20:27; 1 Sam. 28:8; compare Acts 16:16).

The word "familiar" is from the Latin familiaris, meaning a "household servant," and was intended to express the idea that sorcerers had spirits as their servants ready to obey their commands.

Here's a link on psychic power: http://www.teachingpages.co.uk/minilesson/psychics.html

Honestly, I am not sure about this topic. I don't consult/open myself to psychics, sorcerors, etc. I don't think that is of God. It is of the Devil. However, I think it's a bit unrealistic to not recognize that we are spirits encased in a body. We live in a spiritual world, and spirits exist amongst us. Having said that, I don't believe that every spirit is demonic. God sends angels to protect us.

Sometimes you get a feeling in your spirit. Sometimes something about someone does not agree with you/sit right. What are those things? they are the spirit (your spirit) communicating with either the Spirit of God, or some other spirit in existence.

I think some people invite negative spirits/demonic spirits into their lives (ie. by contacting a psychic, using tarot cards and the like). Other people are more receptive to spiritual things. There are somepeople - and I think we have all experienced that person in church who picks up on things spiritual, and the like - who are more aware of the spirit filled realm than others. And I don't think they are doing anything to invite a negative spirit in. They are just more alive and receptive to things of the spirit

However, to address the point above, I think it depends on what YOUR actions are. Are you opening yourself to negative spirits - watching certain things, going certain places, doing certain things - or are things coming to you?

Honestly, I don't know the answer to the question and I think the best source is the Word. But the Word must be search exhaustively. Various versions of the word should be read. Different study aides should be consulted, and you should discuss the topic with your pastor and/or someone with a high level of knowledge and understanding of the Word. At the end of the day, I know that God is knowledge and He will make all things clear if we ask Him for understanding.

:ohwell:

pebbles

Well I hope that everyone knows that each person has a spirit, since death itself is a separation of the body and the spirit. If that fact would ever be up for debate, then we would all need to go back to Christianity 101. :lol:

The Lord will send HIS angels to protect and minister to us, and the only Spirit that God will ever send to us is HIS HOLY SPIRIT, which has many roles including that of Comforter, Healer, Giver of joy, etc. HE's the Spirit of Holiness, Spirit of Might, the Spirit of the Highest, etc. HE has many roles, but all those roles are from ONE SOURCE. Anything else is suspect. And if any bible translation would say otherwise, throw it out, because that's not what The Word of GOD teaches and it's not what the HOLY SPIRIT reveals of HIMSELF, no matter what language or translation you pick up. :)

Last edited:

Poohbear

DelightfulFlame said:
It depends on what we're talking about under the psychic umbrella. There are some people who actually get visions...and I don't think that's devilish. It's a gift from God. Daniel interpreted dreams, and prophets often warned people.

Now, if you are sitting around collecting cash from anyone who'll pay ya...or claiming to hear from dead people...I'm leary of those type of folks.
Just because these psychics receive visions, whether good or bad, doesn't mean it's a gift of God. Like pebbles has been trying to say... the Bible forbids any psychic/mystic/fortune telling activity. Prophets back in the Bible days received their messages from God... totally different.

Poohbear

AnnDriena_ said:
I don't think anyone here is saying psychics are demons, just debating whether what they practice or do is demonic.

I agree! But when God does something that we feel is not nice, there's is a purpose for what God does... whether we did something wrong (when we have to suffer consequences for sins) or whether he wants to make us stronger (like when he puts us through a struggle or hard time, like Job).

DelightfulFlame

Poohbear said:
Just because these psychics receive visions, whether good or bad, doesn't mean it's a gift of God. Like pebbles has been trying to say... the Bible forbids any psychic/mystic/fortune telling activity. Prophets back in the Bible days received their messages from God... totally different.

Who's to say what's from God and what isn't? I agree with the poster who says you have to line it up with the Word and it's a personal thing. There are people like me who define everything "psychic" under one umbrella, which is why I clarified. As for being from God, I've had some crazy people in the church tell me some crazy stuff they saw in a vision. They would claim to be hearing from God, but I would say otherwise. My Spirit did not bear witness, so I stayed away from them.

Poohbear

DelightfulFlame said:
Who's to say what's from God and what isn't? I agree with the poster who says you have to line it up with the Word and it's a personal thing. There are people like me who define everything "psychic" under one umbrella, which is why I clarified. As for being from God, I've had some crazy people in the church tell me some crazy stuff they saw in a vision. They would claim to be hearing from God, but I would say otherwise. My Spirit did not bear witness, so I stayed away from them.

Who's to say? The Holy Bible which is God's Word! ;) Not talking about me or other people but what God says about these things. What may seem right to the world isn't always right with God!
About the people claiming to hear things from God, that's not a gift from God either. Prophesy ended when Jesus came. Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament prophesy when he came to this earth and died for our sins on the cross. Today, we just have messages/sermons from teachers and preachers of His Word to help us to know the Lord better, understand God's Will, and live contructive & productive Christian lives. :cool:

Poohbear

DelightfulFlame said:
prophesy ended? show me that in the word...I've never heard of that before.

Prophesy is when prophets received a message from God and foretold the coming of Jesus Christ. That's already happened. What some of these people are doing today about receiving messages from God that foretells people's future is not prophesy. Jesus has already came to save the world by dying on the cross. What more is there to prophesy about? There's no need to point out a certain scripture in the Bible because the Bible shows us that it ended through Christ. I don't know what you would call what these people are doing in churches today. But this is not the thread to debate about prophesy because there are many different views on this subject with churches today. Some believe in it and some don't...I'm happen to be one that does not believe in prophesy after Jesus has already fulfilled prophesy.

MomofThreeBoys

I think you are talking about Messianic Prophesies. In this, I will agree. But, there are also end time prophecies that point to Jesus' return and what will happen in those last days before he returns. This is the point of the book of Revelation. I don't believe those propheccies have been entirely fulfilled yet.

Poohbear said:
Prophesy is when prophets received a message from God and foretold the coming of Jesus Christ. That's already happened. What some of these people are doing today about receiving messages from God that foretells people's future is not prophesy. Jesus has already came to save the world by dying on the cross. What more is there to prophesy about? There's no need to point out a certain scripture in the Bible because the Bible shows us that it ended through Christ. I don't know what you would call what these people are doing in churches today. But this is not the thread to debate about prophesy because there are many different views on this subject with churches today. Some believe in it and some don't...I'm happen to be one that does not believe in prophesy after Jesus has already fulfilled prophesy.

DelightfulFlame

What about other prophets...such as Jonah? Not all of them prophesied all of the time only about the coming of Jesus.

Poohbear

natalied said:
I think you are talking about Messianic Prophesies. In this, I will agree. But, there are also end time prophecies that point to Jesus' return and what will happen in those last days before he returns. This is the point of the book of Revelation. I don't believe those propheccies have been entirely fulfilled yet.
Hmmm...that would make sense, but foretelling people's future in the church is NOT prophesy. If they have a message from God about those last days before Christ returns again, then that's fine.

DelightfulFlame

What if God gives them a different message? You can only be sent by God if your message matches a message from hundreds of years ago? If it is the same, then why do you need a prophet to repeat it?

MomofThreeBoys

Poohbear said:
but foretelling people's future in the church is NOT prophesy. If they have a message from God about those last days before Christ returns again, then that's fine.

I can agree with this.

Poohbear

DelightfulFlame said:
What about other prophets...such as Jonah? Not all of them prophesied all of the time only about the coming of Jesus.

I didn't say ALL prophets prophesied. I just said "prophets". Some prophets were also just preachers of God's word back then. ;) Please don't add words to what I say on here.