Do people really believe that pyshics are demonic?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Re: Do people really believe that psychics are demonic?

DelightfulFlame said:
What if God gives them a different message? You can only be sent by God if your message matches a message from hundreds of years ago? If it is the same, then why do you need a prophet to repeat it?
Can you clarify what you are trying to ask...maybe give an example? :)

DelightfulFlame

Poohbear said:
I didn't say ALL prophets prophesied. I just said "prophets". Some prophets were also just preachers of God's word back then. ;) Please don't add words to what I say on here.

Am I irritating you? I asked a question...which means I'm trying to understand what you are saying. I did not make a statement saying you said anything.

DelightfulFlame

Poohbear said:
Can you clarify what you are trying to ask...maybe give an example? :)

I'm saying that there could be prophets today with a new message...sent from God. Just because it is a different message from other prophets in the bible, does that make their message any less valid?

MomofThreeBoys

DelightfulFlame said:
What if God gives them a different message? You can only be sent by God if your message matches a message from hundreds of years ago? If it is the same, then why do you need a prophet to repeat it?

Revelation and Daniel gives us an overview of what will happen. The Bible says:

Acts 2:17
“ ‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

There will be end time prophets. I don't think their messages will be contrary to the Word. It might be more specific and might bring clarity to what is already stated in the Bible. Just like the book of Revelation brought more clarity to the book of Daniel. It didn't contradict it. Any "prophet" that contradicts the Word, I would be VERY leary of.

Poohbear

DelightfulFlame said:
I'm saying that there could be prophets today with a new message...sent from God. Just because it is a different message from other prophets in the bible, does that make their message any less valid?
Well, I never said anything about a message that someone gets from God today being less valid than the message someone got in the past. :confused: I guess you're asking someone else...

DelightfulFlame

natalied said:

“ ‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

There will be end time prophets. I don't think their messages will be contrary to the Word. It might be more specific and might bring clarity to what is already stated in the Bible. Just like the book of Revelation brought more clarity to the book of Daniel. It didn't contradict it. Any "prophet" that contradicts the Word, I would be VERY leary of.

Thanks for posting that scripture. That brings much clarification. I don't by any means believe that everyone that claims to be a prophet is one...but at the same time I know that there are prophets. That scripture also talks about dreams...which was mentioned as being a bad activity (psychic) in one post. I'm interested to find out what makes them bad vs. good.

Poohbear

natalied said:

Now I can agree with this post! As long as what they say is in alignment with the Bible, they are okay. Thanks for sharing! :cool:

DelightfulFlame

If they have a message from God about those last days before Christ returns again, then that's fine.

@ Poohbear...I'm saying what if a prophet is given a different message than this?

MomofThreeBoys

DelightfulFlame said:
Thanks for posting that scripture. That brings much clarification. I don't by any means believe that everyone that claims to be a prophet is one...but at the same time I know that there are prophets. That scripture also talks about dreams...which was mentioned as being a bad activity (psychic) in one post. I'm interested to find out what makes them bad vs. good.

The bible gives us tests we can use to PROVE a prophet.

1) A true prophet does not lie. His predictions will be fulfilled. (Jer. 28:9, "But the prophet who prophesies peace will be recognized as one truly sent by the LORD only if his prediction comes true.")

2) A true prophet prophesies in the name of the Lord, not in his own name. (2 Pet. 1:21, "For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.")

3) A true prophet does not give his own private interpretation of prophecy. (2 Pet. 1:20, "Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation.")

4) A true prophet points out the sins and transgressions of the people against God. (Isa. 58:1, "Shout it aloud, do not hold back. Raise your voice like a trumpet. Declare to my people their rebellion and to the house of Jacob their sins.)

5) A true prophet is to warn the people of God's coming judgment. (Examples of judgment such as portrayed in Isa. 24:20, "The earth reels like a drunkard, it sways like a hut in the wind; so heavy upon it is the guilt of its rebellion that it falls --never to rise again." and Rev. 14:6, 7, "Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth --to every nation, tribe, language and people. He said in a loud voice, 'Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water.'").

6) A true prophet edifies the church, counsels and advises it in religious matters. (1 Cor. 14:3, 4, "But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.")

7) A true prophet's words will be in absolute harmony with the words of the prophets that have preceded him. (Isa. 8:20, "To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, they have no light of dawn.")

8) A true prophet recognizes the incarnation of Jesus Christ. (1 John 4:1-3, "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.")

9) A true prophet can be recognized by the results of his work. (Matt. 7:16-20, "By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.")

10) A true prophet acts in accordance with the will and approval of God. (Deut. 18:19, "If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account.")

Poohbear

DelightfulFlame said:
That scripture also talks about dreams...which was mentioned as being a bad activity (psychic) in one post. I'm interested to find out what makes them bad vs. good.

Having dreams/visions are not bad per se. When it comes to dreams/visions from psychic activity/powers and foretelling people's future, that's bad because God forbids it. I can see why it's wrong because people can get so caught up in someone telling what's going to happen in their future that they start to stray away from God and depend on those psychics. It's like they will feel like they no longer need God. So anything that God is against is wrong. Just like sex...it may feel good but it's wrong if you're not married! ;)

pebbles

DelightfulFlame said:
@ Poohbear...I'm saying what if a prophet is given a different message than this?

Are you asking, for example, if they say that the book of Revelations will not occur as was originally stated? That Jesus Christ will not return yet, but that God will suspend His return to a very far off time? Are you talking about something like that? Is that what you mean? :)

DelightfulFlame

Thanks Natalie! I'll be chewing on those scriptures.

I see Poohbear...that makes sense. Good example!

Poohbear

DelightfulFlame said:
Oh okay! ;) Well, you will have to give me an example of something someone said in your church that they claimed was a message from God that didn't have nothing to do with the last days before Jesus' return. I've never been encounter with so-called prophesy in the church... I just don't believe in it (meaning the telling of prophesy/messages that have nothing to do with Christs' return) because of what the Bible says...

Last edited:

DelightfulFlame

pebbles said:
Are you asking, for example, if they say that the book of Revelations will not occur as was originally stated? That Jesus Christ will not return yet, but that God will suspend His return to a very far off time? Are you talking about something like that? Is that what you mean? :)

No...I don't know of an example...something that maybe to specific group of people that hasn't been said before, but still lines up with the Word. I tend to be an analyzer...so I think of questions without specific examples in mind sometimes. :)

pebbles

DelightfulFlame said:
No...I don't know of an example...something that maybe to specific group of people that hasn't been said before, but still lines up with the Word. I tend to be an analyzer...so I think of questions without specific examples in mind sometimes. :)

Gotcha! :)

DelightfulFlame

Poohbear said:
Oh okay! ;) Well, you will have to give me an example of something someone said in your church that they claimed was a message from God that didn't have nothing to do with the last days before Jesus' return. I've never been encounter with so-called prophesy in the church... I just don't believe in it (meaning the telling of prophesy/messages that have nothing to do with Christs' return) because of what the Bible says...

Here are some. This lady (whom I never met) told my best friend (lives in another state) that God told her to pray for me. We only know each other through my best friend (who knows us both). Apparently we both discuss the Word with my friend, so the lady knows that I'm really into bible study.

Anyhow, she told my friend to tell me that she had a vision to pray for me, and that it spooked her like something bad was going to happen to me.

It really pissed me off actually, and I discarded it. It came with no specifics, and didn't line up with the Word. I was wondering why in the world did she even bother to tell her to tell me that?

Another lady whose husband is a preacher told me that she had a vision from God that I was going to be very successful. This lady was very lazy...half worked...half took care of her kids...cheats on her husband...just doesn't even try. Here I am struggling with 3 children (she has 4), and trying to work and go to school. So I'm like...ya think? Clearly I'm not doing all of this work just to stay the same.

My cousin met a man from another church. He walked up to her and just started telling her stuff. He said she was going to move into a red brick house soon and gave details about it. He also said that her marriage was going to go through some things, but it would be alright and God was with her. Within the next year she moved into that house, and her husband left her with no notice and moved to California for 3 months. He came back and they worked it out and are together to this day.

That one I think was crazy too.

But the point of my original post before I got off topic with all of this was about Jonah. He was sent to tell the people of Ninevah (from memory so forgive me if this is not 100% correct), to change their ways. It had nothing to do with the coming of Jesus or His return, yet was still a valid prophesy.

Now I've written so much, I don't know what I was writing about to begin with...LOL.

Poohbear

DelightfulFlame said:
Here are some. This lady (whom I never met) told my best friend (lives in another state) that God told her to pray for me. We only know each other through my best friend (who knows us both). Apparently we both discuss the Word with my friend, so the lady knows that I'm really into bible study.

Anyhow, she told my friend to tell me that she had a vision to pray for me, and that it spooked her like something bad was going to happen to me.

It really pissed me off actually, and I discarded it. It came with no specifics, and didn't line up with the Word. I was wondering why in the world did she even bother to tell her to tell me that?

Another lady whose husband is a preacher told me that she had a vision from God that I was going to be very successful. This lady was very lazy...half worked...half took care of her kids...cheats on her husband...just doesn't even try. Here I am struggling with 3 children (she has 4), and trying to work and go to school. So I'm like...ya think? Clearly I'm not doing all of this work just to stay the same.

My cousin met a man from another church. He walked up to her and just started telling her stuff. He said she was going to move into a red brick house soon and gave details about it. He also said that her marriage was going to go through some things, but it would be alright and God was with her. Within the next year she moved into that house, and her husband left her with no notice and moved to California for 3 months. He came back and they worked it out and are together to this day.

That one I think was crazy too.

But the point of my original post before I got off topic with all of this was about Jonah. He was sent to tell the people of Ninevah (from memory so forgive me if this is not 100% correct), to change their ways. It had nothing to do with the coming of Jesus or His return, yet was still a valid prophesy.

Now I've written so much, I don't know what I was writing about to begin with...LOL.
Those things that those people have said are not prophesies. I think anyone can say things like that by looking at how you live and act. My dad is a minister and says things like that all the time like "God told me to pray for you" or "I have a vision about the church" etc. Those are just everyday inclinations that people get based on what they think is going to happen which may or may not come true.

And about Jonah...no, I do not think he prophesied about Jesus' coming. That doesn't mean he didn't give a valid prophesy. Prophesy is also the inspired declaration of divine will and purpose, not just a prediction of something to come. I don't think I was clear about that earlier...sorry. But what these people are doing today in churches like foretelling people's future, whether good or bad, or predicting some natural disaster, is not from God and is not true prophesy.
Whew! I think I almost confused myself too! This is a tough subject. I hope that was more clear... if not, you can ask for clarification of anything I said. ;)

dstdiva

i am so confused! i've been to some churches with my bf's family and they are all "sanctified". there's lot of prophesying going on...which they claim comes from God...someone will walk up to you and say,"i've got a word for you from god..." sometimes there are revivals and there will be a "prophet" there. example:my old stylist took a new client. the lady gets in her chair and says,"i don't usually do this, because it makes people uncomfortable, but God just gave me a word for you. Would you like to hear it?" she goes on to tell the stylist that she has great ideas but hasn't been following thru in her church. which was true, but how did this lady know? at least she gave her the choice of her telling her or not.
i'm babbling, but the question is: how do you know if someone gives you a prophecy, whether or not it's from God? the first criteria i saw in the list of scriptures above says that you'll know if it comes true, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's from God, right?

MomofThreeBoys

dstdiva said:
i am so confused! i've been to some churches with my bf's family and they are all "sanctified". there's lot of prophesying going on...which they claim comes from God...someone will walk up to you and say,"i've got a word for you from god..." sometimes there are revivals and there will be a "prophet" there. example:my old stylist took a new client. the lady gets in her chair and says,"i don't usually do this, because it makes people uncomfortable, but God just gave me a word for you. Would you like to hear it?" she goes on to tell the stylist that she has great ideas but hasn't been following thru in her church. which was true, but how did this lady know? at least she gave her the choice of her telling her or not.
i'm babbling, but the question is: how do you know if someone gives you a prophecy, whether or not it's from God? the first criteria i saw in the list of scriptures above says that you'll know if it comes true, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's from God, right?

No, that's why you have to use ALL the tests to verify if the person is truly a prophet.

AnnDriena_

If it comes true and is not in line with the teachings of Jesus I don't think it's from him.

If it doesn't come true ( a la Benny Hinn gave a specific year about what he said God was going to do to homosexuals. He said God was going to destroy them by fire the coming year) then you know he's a lie.

If it comes true and lines up with the word then you'll know it was from God. That's it in a nutshell for me.

Good verses, natalied

Sweet C

I think the scriptures natalied laid out were very good in what u should do when testing a prophet. That is why it is key to try the spirit. I know the Lord has given me visions about myself and sometimes other people, and some are very hard for me to understand, and that is why I seek the Lord for guidance and interpretation.

Poohbear

AnnDriena_ said:
If it comes true and is not in line with the teachings of Jesus I don't think it's from him.

If it doesn't come true ( a la Benny Hinn gave a specific year about what he said God was going to do to homosexuals. He said God was going to destroy them by fire the coming year) then you know he's a lie.

If it comes true and lines up with the word then you'll know it was from God. That's it in a nutshell for me.

Good verses, natalied

Yeah... what she said! :yep: :grin:

sbg4evr

This is a very interesting topic. I do believe I have psychic ability, does that make me a demon? I try to live my life according to God's teaching. I do have the ability to know about things before they occur. I know (by an inner sense)when a challenge will come before me. I find that if I have faith in God and pray a solution will come. For instance, a month ago, on a thursday, I felt tense, hot and my hand was shaking. I find water later in my basement. I thought it was coming from my hot water tank and later found out it was coming for my chimney that is not used any more. I cried and prayed with a friend. Tuesday, a solution to my chimncy problem was given to me. Am I a demon?

I knew that my Mother died in hospital, hours before she died. I tried to deny it but the dreaded phone call in early morning hours confirmed it. Am I a demon?

I have dreams that do come true. Am I a demon?

I can sense when others say things that what they say will be proven wrong in the future. For instance, when a close friend a mind was getting married, she said that I would not be a bridesmaid and hope I would understand since she choosed childhood friends. She said that she wanted me to be the godmother of her first child. I felt honored. But I also felt something else, that I can not explain in words. A few years later, she ends our relationship without warning and talking bad about me. Am I a demon?

I do not tell fortunes. But I can sense a person aura. I can feel something about people's characters by being in their presence. I try not to judge people by first impressions. A lot of the times, what I feel reveals itself to be true in time. Am I a demon?

I grew up in the church and wandered away from the flock when I got feed up with religion and hypocrites in churches. I always believe in God and the trinity. Now I found my way back to the flock but do not want to choose a denomination. I am searching for a church home but have not found one yet. I do not consider myself a demon.

pebbles

sbg4evr said:
This is a very interesting topic. I do believe I have psychic ability, does that make me a demon? I try to live my life according to God's teaching. I do have the ability to know about things before they occur. I know (by an inner sense)when a challenge will come before me. I find that if I have faith in God and pray a solution will come. For instance, a month ago, on a thursday, I felt tense, hot and my hand was shaking. I find water later in my basement. I thought it was coming from my hot water tank and later found out it was coming for my chimney that is not used any more. I cried and prayed with a friend. Tuesday, a solution to my chimncy problem was given to me. Am I a demon?

I knew that my Mother died in hospital, hours before she died. I tried to deny it but the dreaded phone call in early morning hours confirmed it. Am I a demon?

I have dreams that do come true. Am I a demon?

I can sense when others say things that what they say will be proven wrong in the future. For instance, when a close friend a mind was getting married, she said that I would not be a bridesmaid and hope I would understand since she choosed childhood friends. She said that she wanted me to be the godmother of her first child. I felt honored. But I also felt something else, that I can not explain in words. A few years later, she ends our relationship without warning and talking bad about me. Am I a demon?

I do not tell fortunes. But I can sense a person aura. I can feel something about people's characters by being in their presence. I try not to judge people by first impressions. A lot of the times, what I feel reveals itself to be true in time. Am I a demon?

I grew up in the church and wandered away from the flock when I got feed up with religion and hypocrites in churches. I always believe in God and the trinity. Now I found my way back to the flock but do not want to choose a denomination. I am searching for a church home but have not found one yet. I do not consider myself a demon.

What you describe is not "psychic." There is a difference between being given prophetic dreams and visions from God, and the Spirit of discernment, and "psychic" power. They are not the same. The gift of prophecy is God given, and many Christians are gifted with it. It is not unique. What you describe is given to many, myself included. "Psychic" powers are not connected to God. And "psychics" are not demons, but their ability is demonically influenced. They're known as "familiar spirits." That's what The Word of God says. :)

sbg4evr

Thanks Pebbles, I was confused by this post. My abilities are of a good nature. I can not control them. I just received them. They were lost to me for about 3 years and recently came back.

pebbles

sbg4evr said:
Thanks Pebbles, I was confused by this post. My abilities are of a good nature. I can not control them. I just received them. They were lost to me for about 3 years and recently came back.
I was telling someone else that my sister has the gift of prophecy, and with her God reveals things clearly. With me, I sometimes have to figure it out a bit more. That is, if I can even remember what I dreamt! LOL! :lol:

dstdiva

pebbles said:
What you describe is not "psychic." There is a difference between being given prophetic dreams and visions from God, and the Spirit of discernment, and "psychic" power. They are not the same. The gift of prophecy is God given, and many Christians are gifted with it. It is not unique. What you describe is given to many, myself included. "Psychic" powers are not connected to God. And "psychics" are not demons, but their ability is demonically influenced. They're known as "familiar spirits." That's what The Word of God says. :)

that's very helpful, thanks.