Do people stare at your hair

sutton989

i'm a black woman with 3b hair. it seem everytime i go out that people are staring at my hair. white women and black women .the stare that they all give me is "how does she get hair hair like that" its like black people can only have one type of hair texture and if there not a 4a or 4b its a weave!!!!!! this used to not bother me, but its starting too! does this happen to anyone eles?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
yesterday I went to a bridal shower. I understood why the people who didn't know me were staring, but even the ones who did know me were gettin' their stare on too. The ones I know I met in college and they've always known me with long hair. I don't know what the deal was.

inthepink

I think people stare b/c they see something they like. For example, there is a woman at my job who has butt-length natural hair that is very, very healthy and just a beautiful head of hair. Whenever I see her, I just want to stare at her hair. I guess I think if I stare (without her knowing hopefully) I'll be able to figure out the story behind her hair - like what products she uses or how long it took her to grow it to that length. Gosh, now I'm going to watch it b/c I don't want her to know.

I've also had people stare at my hair but I've learned that while it can be annoying, it's also somewhat of a compliment. If they didn't like it, they would turn away, you know?

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I think people stare b/c they see something they like.

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O

BTW, I get stares too (when I wear my hair down).

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
lunalight7 said:
No. My hair aint THAT fierce!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lunalight...
That's what you think. I betcha they stare when you're not lookin'.

bellydancer

I have highly UNdefined 3c and 4a/b curls and it's to my bra strap. I get compliments on it but I always run into those girls with broken off dry relaxed hair saying "ugh why would you wear your hair like that?" but I'm staring at them thinking the same thing.

shebababy

The only time that i remember people staring at my hair was when I went to Spain. I had two strand twists abd at some point I untwisted them for a twistout. Everyone kept asking how I got my hair to do that.

jrw

All the time. When I was younger I never understood why. I didn't think my hair was that great. Now I take it as a great compliment.

Chuli

Yep...they always want to know if I have a spiral perm...I say no, my hair is naturally curly like this....I take it as a compliment, unless you put your hands on my hair and I have to beat your a$$!!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I find my self staring at sisters who have long pretty hair(natural or relaxed). Sometimes I just want to ask them about their hair but I am too scared I will get cursed out!

butterfly7

Supergirl,

I just looked at your photos and if I saw you out, I would stare too!

I'm sure people are staring because your hair (all of you) is gorgeous.

Ipanema

People stare when I wear my headband wig--usually trying to figure out if it is real or not. The texture & color is very natural-looking, and you can't tell it isn't unless you're staring & analyzing too hard. Usually people's eyes light up when they decide that it's fake (like they know my little secret or something). <inserting roll-eyes icon here> However, it doesn't bother me much because my real hair is just as nice.

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
butterfly7 said:
Supergirl,

I just looked at your photos and if I saw you out, I would stare too!

I'm sure people are staring because your hair (all of you) is gorgeous.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup.

PracticallyMe

High Powered Lurker
Hi Supergirl,

Girl, your hair is impressive, so I can understand why they are staring. I remember your hair in college, and it was long, but it is much longer than it was. My Ls said she saw you at a play, and I started to ask her if your hair was down, but I didn't because I know I would have gotten some wierd looks (my hair obsession is on the dl
).

teenie

Sometimes people do stare at my hair, which I don't mind, I just don't like when they touch.

As for me I definetly stare (but on the low low) when ever I see a beautiful tress.

SilkyandSmooth

It happens quite frequently. I'm transitioning, so my natural texture is starting to show, and I'm catching quite a few people staring at my hair. I'll be talking to my co-workers, right, and instead of looking me in the eyes, they're staring at my hair. I guess it's b/c they've never seen my natural hair before. I don't get offended or anything. I take it as a compliment.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
I find my self staring at sisters who have long pretty hair(natural or relaxed). Sometimes I just want to ask them about their hair but I am too scared I will get cursed out!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, DSD.

Also, I don't want anyone thinking I'm coming on to them

Honey01

I agree that staring sometimes is usually a form of flattery. I myself stare in admiration at heads of hair too. I usually try to look at away though before they notice. I don't want to appear "stalkerish".

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, DSD.

[/ QUOTE ]

That kinda happened to me. I had my hair done in my favorite updo, and I was going to sit down on the train, and I noticed this woman's eyes were following me as I did. I immediately thought she was butch because of her haircut and her clothing and the way she was sitting. Then she said,

"That looks GOOD on you! I really like that on you! I'm not gay or nothing, I just don't want any hair on my head."

Dutchess

I (now) like when people stare at my hair. My hair has grown so much since I've read Cathy's book and learned how to take care of my hair, and from information I get here. I just wish they would approach me and ask me how I got it to grow. I want to tell them all about the book and about LHCF, so they too can learn how to take care of their hair. I'm proud to be a walking advertisement for the sisters who are tired of braids, weaves, wigs, extensions etc. and think there is nothing else that they can do to their hair. (I have nothing against braids, weaves, wigs, or extensions).

E

EgyptianSand16

[ QUOTE ]
"ugh why would you wear your hair like that?" but I'm staring at them thinking the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ] I almost spat out my drink
U r TOOO funny!!!!!!!!Do u have any pics..Your hair sounds "identical" to my hair goal

aqualung

[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
I have highly UNdefined 3c and 4a/b curls and it's to my bra strap.

[/ QUOTE ]

shock & awe
&

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, DSD.

[/ QUOTE ]

YuNg

yeah people stare at this nappy sh*T everyday. "Damn i wish he cut that mess" "Damn your hair aint growing" "Damn its nappy"

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
YuNg said:
yeah people stare at this nappy sh*T everyday. "Damn i wish he cut that mess" "Damn your hair aint growing" "Damn its nappy"

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't help but laugh! Sorry.