Do we really NEED protein?

syncerelyhis

Okay just wondering what you ladies think cuz I'm getting confused....

This is from http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/05/01/do-i-really-need-to-put-protein-on-my-hair/

NO, hair doesn’t need more protein

Although, hair is made of protein, it’s dead. So putting protein on top of the protein in your hair doesn’t really make it “healthy.” But the right kind of proteins used at the right levels can act as a conditioning agent that can form a protective film on the hair. So it’s not that your hair needs protein, it’s that it needs SOMETHING to form that protective layer. Proteins will do it to some extent, but there are other ingredients (like fatty quaternium compounds or silicones, that will work even better. So protein conditioners like Mane ‘n Tail are good for your hair, but not necessarily BECAUSE they contain protein. We’ve written other posts about protein if you’d like to read more.

and also http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/06/29/the-truth-about-rebuilding-hair/

...But the Restructuring Conditioner will not rebuild your hair any better than a standard rinse-out formula. And it certainly won’t rebuild your hair better than thread and fabric would rebuild a worn out Kate Spade.
The Beauty Brains bottom line

Restructuring, revitalizing, restoring, are all marketing terms that describe the same basic conditioning function, so don’t fall for all the hype.

Mook's hair

THis part is very true... Restructuring, revitalizing, restoring, are all marketing terms that describe the same basic conditioning function

But protein is beneficial for our hair. Not all protein works the same for every one either.
For me, my hair hates all things apHogee and also animal proteins (those from egg or mayo - applied externally) These things make my hair feel hard, brittle, just nasty to touch and difficult to detangle or comb or brush afterward.

However Silk Proteins are the Bees-Knees for me. Silk Proteins have a different molecular weight which enables them to penetrate the shaft differently. They give my hair a strengthened and silky feel.

As a natural, water is the best thing for my hair but the proteins and conditioners help with the retention because hair undergoes a lot of wear and tear as it grows. From the environment, and chemicals and heat and various other factors. And certain things definitely help with the look and feel of the hair as it ages. From my reading I've found protein -especially hard protein- to be most beneficial for chemically treated hair.

Since hair is protein, an internal protein-rich diet it will often result in improved hair growth & strength. I eat a lot of eggs and I love broccoli. (both are great for hair) If you get a lot of good internal protein I find that you need less external protein.

It's kinda like waxing your car. It's not gonna repair any scratches nicks or dings but it's gonna protect the surface from the elements and make it all shiny and vibrant.

I think Sista Slick once said...
When it comes to hair-- the only hard fast rule is that there are no hard fast rules. "Too much" for one head may be "too little" for another, etc. So, all suggestions and advice, should always be taken with a grain of salt and weighed and evaluated against your unique situation.

Last edited:

Nameless

I don't think virgin hair needs a protein reconstructer but I do think that hair that has been chemically altered does because the protein bonds have been broken. JMHO.

sheba1

I, of course, don't know the answer but when I first came to lhcf I ran across Empressi's tutorial on aphogee two step. I followed it to the letter and my hair did a shout for joy. My hair was virgin and natural and had been so for over 10 years and it was like it immediately got something it had been craving.

I've read some articles that say we don't need to deep condition, either, but looking all the LUXURIOUS heads on lchf we know conditioning (protein and otherwise) does something fabulous.

I mean how many cowashers have seen their hair start to get mushy if they don't add in regular reconstructors? **sheepishly raises hand**

Last edited:

LushLox

Not all protein treatments are equal - that much is certainly true!

I think relaxed hair should receive some sort of protein treatment to negate the harsh effects of chemical services. Personally it's not done my hair any harm, much to the contrary actually! I would always recommend using protein before applying direct heat - preventative measures!

melissa-bee

When i was fully relaxed i definitly needed it. I did notice a difference between different products.
But as we know relaxers can break the protein bonds, you can get holes in your hair which make it weak and then breaks, so the good protein treatments kind of fix, fill in the gaps or create a protective barrier so the the hair where the weakness is, is more durable. Given the reason why protien overload can accur if there are no gaps to fill or there is already a protective barrier. So chemically processed heads benefit more from these treatments and they do work.

Ladybelle

It certainly does something for my hair. I would've stayed natural had it not been for the significant benefit of protein treatments before, during &after relaxer services. My hair is certainly thanking me for learning about the protein!

MoniintheMiddle

My transitioning hair LOVES protein (I prepoo with mayo). When I say my hair LOVES this prepoo...I mean my retention and the overall health of my hair has drastically improved because of it.

Angelicus

Naturals don't really need protein conditioners unless they heat style their hair a lot. As for me, I am a relaxed, heat treated, and color treated so I need protein. I get a protein boost at least once a week.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Okay just wondering what you ladies think cuz I'm getting confused....

This is from http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/05/01/do-i-really-need-to-put-protein-on-my-hair/

NO, hair doesn’t need more protein

Although, hair is made of protein, it’s dead. So putting protein on top of the protein in your hair doesn’t really make it “healthy.” But the right kind of proteins used at the right levels can act as a conditioning agent that can form a protective film on the hair. So it’s not that your hair needs protein, it’s that it needs SOMETHING to form that protective layer. Proteins will do it to some extent, but there are other ingredients (like fatty quaternium compounds or silicones, that will work even better. So protein conditioners like Mane ‘n Tail are good for your hair, but not necessarily BECAUSE they contain protein. We’ve written other posts about protein if you’d like to read more.

and also http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/06/29/the-truth-about-rebuilding-hair/

...But the Restructuring Conditioner will not rebuild your hair any better than a standard rinse-out formula. And it certainly won’t rebuild your hair better than thread and fabric would rebuild a worn out Kate Spade.
The Beauty Brains bottom line

Restructuring, revitalizing, restoring, are all marketing terms that describe the same basic conditioning function, so don’t fall for all the hype.

There are many types of proteins and they do something diff. things as per this thread from LCHF that I refer to every so often: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=400938

My hair def. needs protein it looks and feels better when I do. When I was natural I would give my hair a milk bath ever couple of weeks or so and my hair thanked me.

Now that I am relaxed I use a reconstructor after relaxing and I use Millscreek protein treatment every 6 weeks and my hair looks and feels fab. I refuse to use fatty quaternium compounds or silicones, because they lock the moisture out of my hair. I stopped using silicones years ago and my hair has never looked better.

When I first started relaxing again I was just using a moisturizing condtioner to moisturize and over the course of a week my ends started acting funny. When I then added a protein conditioner with hydrolyzed wheat protein on my hair I have never looked back. I dont use it every day maybe every 2 or 3 days because then my hair gets hard so I'm good.

Miss AJ

I don't think virgin hair needs a protein reconstructer but I do think that hair that has been chemically altered does because the protein bonds have been broken. JMHO.

It seems that simple, but I messed up my texture from brushing my natural hair back into a bun everyday. It was getting moisture but I was avoiding protein something serious and ended up with styling damage. Unless you do absoultely nothing to your hair everyday, every hair type with or without chemicals needs some amount of protein to stay strong.

sharifeh

This topic is so confusing to me. I'm relaxed so I figured by default, I need protein. I have done aphogee 2 step twice and I use the 2 minute, but it seems that my hair doesn't react well to it at all!!!
And I could never imagine my hair being mushy ever.
I don't know. Is it possible that someone chemically treated doesn't need protein?
I don't think so. Maybe I need to try different products.

This is a frustrating topic.

Thanks for the article OP.

Contrary to popular belief, natural hair does need protein. I had read some journal articles on the morphology and properties of African hair. I don't remember where I put them, but when I find them, I'll probably post the links. In their studies, they found that just normal wear and tear, i.e. brushing and combing did enough damage to the hair, much less doing other things like blowdrying etc. The structure of the hair makes it more susceptible to damage. So in thinking about it, it makes more sense that we would benefit from using protein conditioners on natural hair. Unfortunately I don't think there have been studies done on this as yet.

And in any case just the very fact that hair doesn't regenerate itself from the inside (within the hair shaft) out like skin does, would make it a feasible reason for using protein conditioners. It only grows from one end, and the already grown hair is exposed to the elements getting weaker with time.

I've started using protein conditioners because of this site. And I've found that my hair just acts that much better especially when I wear it in a wash and go. And it's helped immensely especially since I do use blowdryers. Certainly cuts down on breakage.

LushLox

This topic is so confusing to me. I'm relaxed so I figured by default, I need protein. I have done aphogee 2 step twice and I use the 2 minute, but it seems that my hair doesn't react well to it at all!!!
And I could never imagine my hair being mushy ever.
I don't know. Is it possible that someone chemically treated doesn't need protein?
I don't think so. Maybe I need to try different products.

This is a frustrating topic.

Thanks for the article OP.

I would experiment a bit more if you can. Maybe you just need to use more milder proteins. :yep: A lot of people rave about Aubrey Organics GPB. I may have to look into myself. :blush: And of course you should always follow with a moisturising DC.

LadyPaniolo

Naturals don't really need protein conditioners unless they heat style their hair a lot. As for me, I am a relaxed, heat treated, and color treated so I need protein. I get a protein boost at least once a week.

Well, before I texlaxed the only protein I got was from using aloe vera and Infusium leave-in and my hair was SO healthy. After I texlaxed I tried to just keep on as before and :cry3: boy did my hair pay the price. I have so much breakage at the line of demarcation it's insane. My hair DID get seriously mushy because I kept up the deep moisturization without the protein that was now needed. I am trying to repair the texlaxed hair now as much as possible by using Aphogee 2 step on a somewhat regular basis. In the long run, though, I'll pretty much just have to grow out the texlax.

Looking back, I realize that my failure to do protein treatments was the biggest downfall of my hair :cry3:

im natural and my hair loves protein.. it breaks like crazy without it.. however, i don't eat a lot of protein so that could have something to do with it.. ppl who eat lots of protein probably don't need at much directly applied to the hair..

spacetygrss

I'm natural and my hair loves and needs protein. I very rarely use direct heat (maybe 2x/year) and typically wear my hair in twists so I don't manipulate it every much, but if I try to go more than a month without doing a protein DC I pay for it. I eat a high-protein diet and still need the external boost.

It just shows that everyone's hair is different.

Miss AJ

I really wish people would stop posting that naturals don't need protein. Relaxers, dyes and heat are not the only hair practices that can damage hair. My hair loves protein as well. I've been using Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer on wash days for the past couple of weeks and my hair is loving it.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My Hair is Relaxed. Weak. and Fragile.:look: And currently recovering a major salon chemical set-back.

I Feel I definitely Need some sort of Protein Treatment on a Weekly Basis.:yep:

I always use some type of Light/Med Reconstructor Weekly, and I also add a daily dose of a light protein in my daily moisturizing treatments.

This Weekly Addition to my Regimen has been very rewarding to my Hair. I began adding a weekly reconstructor/protein treatment, during a 16 week stretch and 'figured out' after about week 8-10, for me and my Hair, this was necessary. So, I continued to do it. And it's been Great.

I monitor my protein closely and right now feel it's an Absolute 'Must' To Restore and Re-Strengthen My Hair. And So Far, it's working.:grin:

Miss AJ

What proteins are you naturals using?

Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer (wash days only, that might be the only product directions I've ever followed in my life lol)

Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment (I may cut this out depending on how my hair does with the more frequent doses of protein in the normal regimen)

Optimum Anti-Breakage Stay Strong Shampoo

I've got 2 bottles of Infusium leave-in but I have yet to use them, and my current leave-in is a mixture of Aussie Hair Insurance and Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-in.

BeetleBug

I'm natural and I don't use protein. I will probably never use it b/c there is no need for it on my hair. My hair is not breaking and my texture is intact.

charmtreese

Protein is a MUST for me as well. At one time I thought that my hair was protein sensitive and only used moisturizing products. My hair really suffered for this. Now that I use protein regularly my hair is really thriving.

Angelicus

Hey ladies, I didn't mean that naturals don't need protein at all. I meant that they may not need it as much as I do.

Britt

I use to think that I didn't "need" protein really for a while b/c my hair felt soft and moisturized. However, whenver I washed it I would loose a lot of hair while my hair was wet. I relaxed 4 wks ago and every wash I've been using Nexxus Emergencee w/ heat and then following up w/ Kenra MC w/ heat and my hair now has a balance of strength and softness. I think I "need" protein simply b/c my hair is relaxed and I relax fairly often, every 8 wks. There are times when I rollerset and I can see weakened areas along my hair shaft and I know my hair could use some protein. My hair really just feels a lot better while wet from using Emergencee steadily for wks straight. I always rinse it out w/ a poo and follow up w/ Kenra mc though. It gives me the perfect balance of moisture and softness :yep:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Silk Amino Acids- added to many of my products.
Infusium Leav-in
ORS Replenishing Conditioner
Silicon Mix Conditioner
Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer - has SAA in it.

This is a really Good Point.:grin:

In addition to SAA there are; Wheat Proteins, Oat Proteins, Soy and other Plant Based Proteins. Instead of Animal based protein products.:yep: