Votes: 518 49.6%
  • Nope, never considered it

Votes: 200 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayna

Unbothered
I don't know if this has been answered so forgive me if it has but how often can I use indigo in my hair, and like not mixed with henna just indigo, cus I used it once, it was black for a few days but I don't really see it now and I like my hair the blackest of black, lol

flowinlocks

I don't know if this has been answered so forgive me if it has but how often can I use indigo in my hair, and like not mixed with henna just indigo, cus I used it once, it was black for a few days but I don't really see it now and I like my hair the blackest of black, lol

I'm the same way, I redid my Indigo a week later to make it darker. Also the next time you Henna, try doing a Henndigo mix instead of just straight Henna, THEN follow up with just Indigo. This proved to yeild darker results for me:yep:

Khadija.D.Carryl

Now that's what I am talking about! Lots of great questions.

Okay so here we go.
  • LadyD2U: It sound like that is a bit more product then you would need to use. 300 grams of total powder is a lot. I'd recommend a total of 200 grams of powder for you if you have thick hair. So 100 grams of henna and 100 grams of indigo. BUT for chocolate brown hair you might want to use at least 60% indigo and 40% henna. So therefore you would need 140 grams of indigo and 60 grams of henna. If you go half, half, like 100 grams of each and want to add amla powder, then add at least 50 grams of amla powder to your mixture. This will darken up the color more as well. But keep in mind amla powder also adds volume and bounce to your hair (even curl for some), so if you want your hair to be straighter naturally with henna then don't add amla powder. I hope this helps
  • preciousstone, the fresher the henna powder the better the color. The more the applications of henna, over time, the deeper the color becomes. I recommend indian henna or yemeni henna for best deepest red results. and Jamila is pretty up there too this year, and washed out amazingly!
  • jhuidah, yes the stain will fade in a few days.
  • CocoSlim83, flowinlocks is right on key with the advice given. It'll get much darker this way. But sometimes too indigo can be a bit fading for some. Just keep on with the applications and you'll see your hair taking it much better over time and holding on to the color. Add a touch of salt to your indigo as that helps.

LadyD

LadyD2U: It sound like that is a bit more product then you would need to use. 300 grams of total powder is a lot. I'd recommend a total of 200 grams of powder for you if you have thick hair. So 100 grams of henna and 100 grams of indigo. BUT for chocolate brown hair you might want to use at least 60% indigo and 40% henna. So therefore you would need 140 grams of indigo and 60 grams of henna. If you go half, half, like 100 grams of each and want to add amla powder, then add at least 50 grams of amla powder to your mixture. This will darken up the color more as well. But keep in mind amla powder also adds volume and bounce to your hair (even curl for some), so if you want your hair to be straighter naturally with henna then don't add amla powder. I hope this helps

Thanks so much for this information! This helps a lot!

Jhuidah

Does anyone know the difference between the yellow box Jamila and the green box Jamila? Is it just the sift, and the ease of rinsing one out verses the other? I keep finding the yellow box online for fantastic prices, but I really loved the results I got yesterday/today from the green box.

Khadija.D.Carryl

Jhuidah, yes it sounds like the yellow box is from an older crop of Jamila, and most likely it is the hair quality UNLESS it is stamped with the date at the bottom of the box saying for example summer crop 2007, 2006 etc...

The green silvery tinted box is most likely body art quality jamila (meaning the quality that most henna artists use and a lot of people like because it's amazing sift that washes out so easily). It should be marked with a crop year underneath such as summer crop 2008. Where did you get the green box of Jamila?

The company started making the green silvery tinted box in the year of 2006 or 2007 I believe and the summer crop 2008 was the same but they added the red writting onto the actual foil packaging inside of the box, that says premium quality jamila henna.

I have never had the yellow box of Jamila to view it for myself. But in general every year the company that produces Jamila makes both a super sifted henna powder and a hair quality sifted henna powder. The super finely sifted one will have the date on the bottom as summer crop 2008, and the hair quality is not marked. The sift is different for sure.

That is why I always stress that people inquire about the crop year because the better the crop the better the color. Not all suppliers share this detailed information and just sell you henna for hair, and who knows just how good it is or how fresh. It's already confusing enough having to choose from henna powders from different countries, and then try to figure out each quality of henna for hair. That's a lot.

My best advice is check out crop year and sift quality.

Jhuidah

Thanks so much for answering my question! You give great advice. :)

I ordered from www.mehndiskinart.com. It was the green boxed Jamila, dated on the bottom, but I have forgotten what the date is; I want to say that it expires sometime in 2011. I am really happy with how it rinsed out--very, very easily with just water, then the remainder of the grit came out with cheapie conditioner washing.

The rinse process was the only reason why I have been waffling on henna for so long, so I believe I will continue to purchase this brand/make of henna. It was almost impossibly easy.

Khadija.D.Carryl

From what I have seen on that website, it seems to me that they are a truthful, honest henna company. So far what I read about their Jamila henna powder, and how they clearly state the real facts on it, makes me really commend them, and I agree with them! So I would trust what you buy from them, as they clearly don't make it confusing when choosing which Jamila to buy. You get hair quality or the Jamila summer crop 2008, and their prices are pretty good.

I still feel strongly about crop years though because I asked the Jamila company (Abid and Co.) about their hair quality Jamila and they said right now they have only 2008 henna available for that quality. The sift is not the same as the summer crop 2008 stock of course, and it never would be as good as that henna, but it's pretty close. All suppliers have to do is ask what year the henna is coming from, and it can't be that old coming from the Jamila company personally moves so much henna that there isn't any older crops they are selling anyhow. It would be the actual suppliers/importers within North America that might have had the Jamila henna powder in stock for a long time. This I don't recommend.

Rotating a max of two years of crops is good enough. Longer then that, is not something I'd want to buy personally.

Pooks

I did my first henna and indigo just over a month ago.

I used 200g BAQ Jamila henna, green tea, honey, a few globs of HSR condish and lavendar oil in my mix. I applied to my dry hair, and left it on for 45 mins under a heating cap, and another 15 mins without any more heat. My hair went noticeably red!! :blush: Bit scary for me as I didn't do this for colour change, so I quickly followed up with my indigo treatment. I just mixed 200g indigo with enough water to make it a yoghurty consistency, and a touch of salt (thanks Khadija) left this on my hair for just over an hour. I did this at about midnight, I was dying for sleep! I rinsed a few times with condish and then applied HSR and finally went to bed.

Next day hair felt a bit weird to be honest, my curls in the front were looser. Overall my hair felt much drier in the days following and I experienced some breakage. I think this was my fault though, I realise now that I needed to cowash every day after to balance out the drying effects of the henna - don't think I put enough oil/condish in my mix.

I'm not giving up though as I hear your hair improves with each application. I'm gonna get some pectin for my indigo (application was a bit messy), and try again in a couple of weeks.

Sorry so long.

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
I think I'll join with those of you who will be henna-glossing from now on. My mix will be:
  • henna
  • Tresemme Moisture Vitamin E
  • Honey
  • Coconut oil
.....hopefully this will give my mix the creamy/pudding consistency I need. I may add some water....but then again....I may not....:yep:

I henna overnite, so I don't need to wait for color release. And with all the moisturizing ingredients listed, I don't have to worry about any drying. And I would imagine it should rinse right out the next day.

Will keep you all posted on how it turns out.:yep:

Whooohoooo....I did it! I have just had the most fabulous henna experience. :dance7: I used 60g henna/indigo mix (Colora Henna Black). Now I didn't measure my ingredients, so I'm estimating here. I put about 1cup tresemme moisture vitamin E conditioner, about 1/2cup evco, and about 1/4 cup honey. I mixed until mixture was smooth. Then I applied to dry hair. Left in for 5hours while I did my saturday chores. Before I rinsed out, I sat under heat for about 25 -30minutes. When I rinsed, I was simply amazed at how easily this mixture rinsed out. I mean it rinsed out like any conditioner would rinse out. The henna is so finely powdered and sifted, it just felt great!!! I'm guessing the evco and the tresemme was the reason for the wonderful easy rinse-out. And I got great color release. My black is sooo black. My hair is so strong.

I am officially hooked!! :love: This is my new monthly coloring staple. Henna mixed with conditioner, oil and honey. Nothing else. This was truly the best experience I have had with henna coloring. :clapping:

flowinlocks

Whooohoooo....I did it! I have just had the most fabulous henna experience. :dance7: I used 60g henna/indigo mix (Colora Henna Black). Now I didn't measure my ingredients, so I'm estimating here. I put about 1cup tresemme moisture vitamin E conditioner, about 1/2cup evco, and about 1/4 cup honey. I mixed until mixture was smooth. Then I applied to dry hair. Left in for 5hours while I did my saturday chores. Before I rinsed out, I sat under heat for about 25 -30minutes. When I rinsed, I was simply amazed at how easily this mixture rinsed out. I mean it rinsed out like any conditioner would rinse out. The henna is so finely powdered and sifted, it just felt great!!! I'm guessing the evco and the tresemme was the reason for the wonderful easy rinse-out. And I got great color release. My black is sooo black. My hair is so strong.

I am officially hooked!! :love: This is my new monthly coloring staple. Henna mixed with conditioner, oil and honey. Nothing else. This was truly the best experience I have had with henna coloring. :clapping:

Congrats on your experience!!! I guess I'll have to try the honey in my mix the next time, I already do the cond. & oil, No water either hmmm....., gotta try it.

MonaLisa

I didn't henna before.....but I sure will be now going forward... :yep:

Mad I wasn't using this before....I have a hard head... I don't listen sometimes...
:ohwell:

Aggie

What are you all doing with the extra henna? I mixed too much this weekend and don't want to waste it.

I keep mine in an airtight container right in the fridge if I'll be using it within the next month and it has kept very well.

I store it in a sealed ziploc container in the freezer until I am ready to useit again.

And this way is best for me when I know I will not be using it soon enough which will definitely be this time. I henna'ed my hair yesterday and have a little leftover for a touch up but I will be getting my hair cornrowed 2 times consecutively for about 5-6 weeks each and so I will have to put my henna in the freezer this time. I am still not sure when I will do the touch up. I'll see how my hair feels between the 2 cornrow installs.

Aggie

Wow baddison, good to hear about your great experience honey. Did you pre-oil and scritch your scalp before applying the henna? I do this because I feel it wakes up the follicles to receive the conditioning power of the powders and the henna for faster growth.

AtlantaJJ

Wow baddison, good to hear about your great experience honey. Did you pre-oil and scritch your scalp before applying the henna? I do this because I feel it wakes up the follicles to receive the conditioning power of the powders and thehenna for faster growth.
This is just the tip I needed about the scritching, I did pre-oil with coconut oil before my last henna and girl, my hair was happy :dance7:

Rei

Alright I got to page 91 and didn't see this question answered so I'm just going to ask it here in hopes that someone has answered it. I plan on lightening my hair for summer to a light brown/blondish color. I know henna cannot be used to lighten hair, but can i be used over dyed/bleached hair? I would like to add this as a strengthener to my hair, but I was reading how you can inhibit the dye release somewhat. I am also considering cassia, but people have said that the conditioning effects are not as great. Am I stuck with cassia, or can I actually try the henna? I'm scared because it is so permanent! and it seems like you can't do anything to your hair once you've done it, in terms of dyes...

Aggie

Alright I got to page 91 and didn't see this question answered so I'm just going to ask it here in hopes that someone has answered it. I plan on lightening my hair for summer to a light brown/blondish color. I know henna cannot be used to lighten hair, but can i be used over dyed/bleached hair? I would like to add this as a strengthener to my hair, but I was reading how you can inhibit the dye release somewhat. I am also considering cassia, but people have said that the conditioning effects are not as great. Am I stuck with cassia, or can I actually try the henna? I'm scared because it is so permanent! and it seems like you can't do anything to your hair once you've done it, in terms of dyes...

Cassia will not add any color to your hair, just conditioning. Henna will add color, strength and conditioning, so yes it is okay to use it over your dyed hair. In fact, it's recommended. My sister used henna over her bleached hair and it made her hair healthier than it's ever been.

Rei

Cassia will not add any color to your hair, just conditioning. Henna will add color, strength and conditioning, so yes it is okay to use it over your dyed hair. In fact, it's recommended. My sister used henna over her bleached hair and it made her hair healthier than it's ever been.

thank you! awesome, that's all I needed to hear. I knew cassia was colorless, but I had heard that it was safer to use in terms of it not being permanent (?), but the whole using it over bleached hair was what I was worried about.

Aggie

thank you! awesome, that's all I needed to hear. I knew cassia was colorless, but I had heard that it was safer to use in terms of it not being permanent (?), but the whole using it over bleached hair was what I was worried about.

You're welcomed Rei. Let us know how it goes.

tmrskltn

Hi ladies, im not really new anymore, but don't post alot. My question is...I purchased my henna from mountain rose organics on-line, they r a great company, i bought 1 lb , when i got it it said that the henna and indigo were mixed. It said to mix the henna and apply to dry/wet clean hair....my question is does the dye release faster w some hennas? was it because the indigo was already mixed in? I don't understand why some hennas have to sit for dye release, but this one does not , can somone help!

oreoday99

Hi ladies, im not really new anymore, but don't post alot. My question is...I purchased my henna from mountain rose organics on-line, they r a great company, i bought 1 lb , when i got it it said that the henna and indigo were mixed. It said to mix the henna and apply to dry/wet clean hair....my question is does the dye release faster w some hennas? was it because the indigo was already mixed in? I don't understand why some hennas have to sit for dye release, but this one does not , can somone help!

Yes I'm very curious about this too. I have Yemeni Henna and I think I may have let it sit too long. The color came out light orange and I do not like it. Note: I tested this on my hand and a puff strands first.

Status
Not open for further replies.